[ROM] 31/Dec r0.3: de-softened ROM for ZTE Blade / Orange San Francisco [froyo] [OLED+TFT]

Guest Sebastian404

It's a pretty much bug free ROM, IMHO.

A bit off topic, I have a doubt I'd like to ask you guys.

Should we expect an official ZTE 2.2 ROM for "western" phones or the Jap/Chi 2.2 final Roms are the best it's going to get? :D

Best,

Manji

Guest SUZYBOY

Hi, new to this forum and have been following for a while now. Great work from the developers and thanks for all your hard work.

Just one problem with this Rom, I am on T-mobile and tried all the updates and fixes and still no joy on internet, I am on T-mobile contract. Its very strange as it will let me enter my google account details and check to see if they are correct so its got connection but not to the market or internet. Hoping for a fix soon as this Rom is getting some great reviews.

Thanx guys and keep up the good work.

Guest That-Guy
It's a pretty much bug free ROM, IMHO.

A bit off topic, I have a doubt I'd like to ask you guys.

Should we expect an official ZTE 2.2 ROM for "western" phones or the Jap/Chi 2.2 final Roms are the best it's going to get? :D

Best,

Manji

Think it depends if your Network Operator wants to release it or not :P

Guest Kthulhu
Hi, new to this forum and have been following for a while now. Great work from the developers and thanks for all your hard work.

Just one problem with this Rom, I am on T-mobile and tried all the updates and fixes and still no joy on internet, I am on T-mobile contract. Its very strange as it will let me enter my google account details and check to see if they are correct so its got connection but not to the market or internet. Hoping for a fix soon as this Rom is getting some great reviews.

If this rom does not work for you fortunately we have several 2.1(MCR, de-orangenated, Hungarian, Finnish,..) and 2.2 (Modaco alpha, FLB, Jellyfish,..) roms and all of them work fine. You choose!

Edited by Kthulhu

Guest wakaru

First of all, thanks for this great ROM.

I went straight onto the de-orangeated R6 once I first got my San Francisco and I've enjoyed it a lot. I have been following all the Froyo 2.2 threads closely and finally I have decided to make the jump.

After flashing a couple of San Franciscos to the r.03 de-softened ROM [froyo] and the kernel addon I can say I am really impressed. Battery life seems great, and everything seems to be working flawlessly.

Just a couple of things to mention:

- I have hidden SSID for my WPA2 protected WIFI at home. With the 2.1 ROM I could not connect to it unless I disabled the hidden SSID or alternatively installed an app from the market to resolve the issue. I expected this problem to be gone once on 2.2, however it still persists. I tried both static and dinamic IP with similar result. Before going onto the market to search for the app that fixed my issue on 2.1 I was wondering if somebody could confirm I am not alone and this, in fact, happens to everyone.

-The signal strenght bar seems to always be on either FULL or NONE. I believe this has been reported by many users now and it is something we will have to live with. Not a big deal though :D

-One of my San Franciscos is on TESCO PAYG SIM and the provider is reported as Telefonica 02. Again, I am aware this is normal as Tesco's Network relies on 02 for providing the service and this will not make any difference to the usability of the phone.

Overall, a great ROM. I just hope I had installed it earlier :P

Finally, now that we have the source I would like to post a couple of comments for those involved in the development of 2.2 for the ZTE Blade:

- SMS time fix. Could we incorporate this into the ROM, rather than relying on a external APP from the market?

- SMS bug. Could this we incorporated into the ROM once Google releases the fixes?

- Is there any way to access SMB / NFS shares natively in Android?

Thanks again ! B)

Guest isambard

I went straight onto the de-orangeated R6 once I first got my San Francisco and I've enjoyed it a lot. I have been following all the Froyo 2.2 threads closely and finally I have decided to make the jump.

After flashing a couple of San Franciscos to the r.03 de-softened ROM [froyo] and the kernel addon I can say I am really impressed. Battery life seems great, and everything seems to be working flawlessly.

- I have hidden SSID for my WPA2 protected WIFI at home. With the 2.1 ROM I could not connect to it unless I disabled the hidden SSID or alternatively installed an app from the market to resolve the issue. I expected this problem to be gone once on 2.2, however it still persists. I tried both static and dinamic IP with similar result. Before going onto the market to search for the app that fixed my issue on 2.1 I was wondering if somebody could confirm I am not alone and this, in fact, happens to everyone.

-The signal strenght bar seems to always be on either FULL or NONE. I believe this has been reported by many users now and it is something we will have to live with. Not a big deal though :D

-One of my San Franciscos is on TESCO PAYG SIM and the provider is reported as Telefonica 02. Again, I am aware this is normal as Tesco's Network relies on 02 for providing the service and this will not make any difference to the usability of the phone.

Finally, now that we have the source I would like to post a couple of comments for those involved in the development of 2.2 for the ZTE Blade:

- SMS time fix. Could we incorporate this into the ROM, rather than relying on a external APP from the market?

- SMS bug. Could this we incorporated into the ROM once Google releases the fixes?

Thanks again ! B)

unhide your ssid. not sure why people do this, it actually decreases your security.

Wakaru,

I also have hidden SSID at home and can connect to it without a problem. I'm running the stock 2.1 ROM.

Will make the jump to Seb's ROM tonight.

Best,

Joao

Camera brightness slider doesn't seem to do anything but everything else has worked so far with this ROM :D

Just to confirm, camera brightness works fine for me. Have you applied the kernel update ?

Thanks again ! B)

1. I had the WPA2 not connect on hidden SSID also. There is a thread somewhere on this if you hunt for it. Basically we tracked it down to the password used. I had a very long 31bit password using all characters, digits etc... When I changed the password to a simple 1234567 all worked fine, obviously not a fix, but a least we know what it is that's causing it.

2. Signal strength bars do vary, but then again my Nokia ones do also. I'm not too bothered about this cause it has never resulted in missed calls/sms.

3. The lockscreen displayed Telefonica.....is a problem with many 2.2 roms. There is also a workaround (and a thread) for this. You have to hexedit the 'libril-qc-1.so' file (i think its in /system/lib ) and you can actually display whatever you want; e.g. 'ZTE-Blade' for your carrier ID. Again it's not a fix and I wish some dev will look at this as it is annoying and does come up often in threads on 2.2 roms.

Good Luck !

Edited by xzyk

seb, just wanted to add my thanks for a rom well done. I'm very surprised with some of the above posts and reported 'problems'. Since getting one of the first SF that was sold in the UK I have lost count of how many roms i've loaded and other changes i've made. I must admit this one is the closest one i've tried that's perfect. Since I have two SF to play with, I use one for development, I have actually tried everything i can think of to find a defect in this rom and i cannot find a single thing wrong. Maybe I'm lucky but I have tried this rom now on both of my SF and both work just great. I'm now on the r0.3 with the updated kernel. LEDs working as supposed to, wifi reconnect everytime, battery drain acceptable (after battery bump/stats wipe) etc.. etc... as i said, for me, nothing short of perfect mate. It's going to take something really special to make me move away from this one.. Thanks again.. B)

Just like to add my thanks to Seb for producing an excellent ROM. My first 2.2 after holding off for a while until some of the more serious bugs were ironed out.

However, I think saying it's perfect is a bit strong. It's very good, but I have a few issues with it :P

• Can anything be done about the signal strength bars? As others have pointed out, they are either full on or off.
  • I seem to have a high 'cell standby' level (<40%) in the battery usage. Are these two related? When on 2.1 this was not an issue.
  • My carrier comes up as Telefonica O2 UK LTD. On 2.1 this was reported correctly as giffgaff. I know giffgaff uses O2 so not really a problem, just cosmetic.

Cheers :D

Just like to add my thanks to Seb for producing an excellent ROM. My first 2.2 after holding off for a while until some of the more serious bugs were ironed out.

However, I think saying it's perfect is a bit strong. It's very good, but I have a few issues with it :P

• Can anything be done about the signal strength bars? As others have pointed out, they are either full on or off.
  • I seem to have a high 'cell standby' level (<40%) in the battery usage. Are these two related? When on 2.1 this was not an issue.
  • My carrier comes up as Telefonica O2 UK LTD. On 2.1 this was reported correctly as giffgaff. I know giffgaff uses O2 so not really a problem, just cosmetic.

Cheers :D

Apologies about the trasnation (from welsh colloquialism to whatever else). Just for clarification what I was trying to state was that this rom (for me) has been as close to perfect as any I have tested so far; i.e. better than the others i tested. Nothing is ever 100percent perfect. I have a 500 pounds I_Phone4 sat on my desk and I'm sure we can all list the problems with that, so for a 80pounds jobbie and all the incredible support on this site, I think it's pretty damn good.

Lets hope Seb can iron out the signal bars issue you guys reported :D

Don't know if any of you guys, having problems with the bars, want to do a little test. I've disabled 3G, by unchecking 'Data Enabled' (mainly because i don't want to incur any data charges at the moment) and my bars have been solid for over 4 hours now. Can anyone else confirm, or otherwise, this please ? Don't know if this is related or simply because i've been stuck in front of my PC for over 4 hours and haven't moved <lol>.

Don't know if any of you guys, having problems with the bars, want to do a little test. I've disabled 3G, by unchecking 'Data Enabled' (mainly because i don't want to incur any data charges at the moment) and my bars have been solid for over 4 hours now. Can anyone else confirm, or otherwise, this please ? Don't know if this is related or simply because i've been stuck in front of my PC for over 4 hours and haven't moved <lol>.

What exactly do you mean by 'solid'?

Do you mean it is showing 4 bars all the time, because that seems to be the problem. It shows either 4 bars or none, nothing in between.

:D

What exactly do you mean by 'solid'?

Do you mean it is showing 4 bars all the time, because that seems to be the problem. It shows either 4 bars or none, nothing in between.

:P

I see, ok looks like I misunderstood. I thought you meant that the bars were fluctuating continiously, like mine seem to do when I enable 3G. By this definition then i can confirm that mine seem to exhibit the same behaviour cause it has been on constant 4bars (with data disabled). I thought I just had a good signal and since i did not move location it would make sense to remain the same, but having loaded a 2.1 on my other SF I see what you mean now. On that one it does seem to follow signal strength better and even when just sat on the table the bars seem to update every few seconds. Unfotunately in this rom, settings--about phone---Status it does not show Signal Strength, like it does on 2.1 so I cannot check directly (unless i load some other app) to conclude whether this is a display issue or whether the true signal strength is not being sensed. I think I'll load an app that displays signal strength just to check. If the app shows the same as the status bar icon then it is something deeper that sebs will need to fix, if however it displays signal strength correctly that it is simply an update issue on the status bar icon.

EDIT: I just loaded up system info widgets and the signal strength on that does show db changes but the status bar icons remain constant so it looks like the status bar is not updating properly.

EDIT2: second confirmation this seems to be an update issue. I donwloaded 'Real Signal' (free from market) and this does follow the signal correctly. You'll be able to see the usual signal strength activity on real strength icon while the normal status bar icon remains static, or maybe its too late in the date and i'm just imaging it things :D

BTW, here an interesting article 'tested.com/news/how-to-measure-cell-signal-strength-on-android-phones/557/' (add www. in front) for those wanting to know more.

We'll have to wait for seb to fix this one..

Edited by xzyk

Guest tanivula
Tried this update here in NZ and reset APNs back to default, it has probably made the problem worse, google stuff doesnt work either now :/

Have installed JJR6 and all is working straight off the bat. Might have to stick with that for now.

Guest Rotmann
Is there any method I can change the way the call log presents itself? I liked the 2.1 version better, this 2.2 groups all the call from each contact, I'd rather have it on a normal list, ordered by date. Is it possible?

Try DialerOne from the market, don't know if it does what you want, just a suggestion.

It seems that all T-Mobile subscribers have internet problems on this ROM, sorry. Japanese Jellyfish had this problem too but it seems to be solved in RLS6.

-The signal strenght bar seems to always be on either FULL or NONE. I believe this has been reported by many users now and it is something we will have to live with. Not a big deal though :P

+1 I hope it will get fixed because it's important to me.

I used your kernel update on Paul's Froyo and it worked like a charm. The LEDs are working and the Wifi reconnects automaticly now. B)

This ROM has a kernel update too, why use the one for Paul's Froyo :D

Guest tttonyyy
Just to confirm, camera brightness works fine for me. Have you applied the kernel update ?

You know, I completely forgot to apply the kernel update.

Just done it and camera brightness is working :D Many thanks on the suggestion!

I'm using a widget I found on the market called Signal Strength Widget (!), which shows the actual signal level quite nicely until this issue is fixed.

Cheers...

Guest Rotmann

The Japanese Jellyfish has the same problem, Flibblesans Froyo should not have it. I think it is something related to the japanese ROM, because this and the JJ are based on it.

I think the main thing is making sure that people with the Widgets, etc, can make sure that the phone isn't loosing network signal, but just the bars not updating properly