[ROM] 31/Dec r0.3: de-softened ROM for ZTE Blade / Orange San Francisco [froyo] [OLED+TFT]

Guest Sebastian404

Guest Rotmann

Just read in the JJ topic that this is because some 2.1 libs are used to get the phone signal displayed at all, KK said he does not know if it can be repaired :D That's kind of a deal breaker, I have 5 pages full of widgets, no place for signal widget. I also want to see the signal on every page and in most apps and not scroll always to see my status. That's why it was useful to have it in the status bar.

Guest cbrpaul
Do you know if other ROMs are showing the same behavior? (the signal bars thing)

I just done a restore using clockwork back to bladevillan 1.1.0 as i didnt want a false signal bar reading , and its still shwoing a constant full signal on the strengh meter !!!! :D , it didnt before using bladevillan rom ,

I did a data/wipe after the restore aslo !!

Any reason why the signal bar is still sat at full strenght ?

I also want to see the signal on every page and in most apps and not scroll always to see my status. That's why it was useful to have it in the status bar.

I've installed Real Signal, which puts a signal strength meter in the status bar. Problem solved!

cbrpaul, do you usually get "active" bars?

I mean, where I live I get full bars 99% of the time on several phones (nokia, samsung, etc, etc).

Edited by manji

Guest cbrpaul
cbrpaul, do you usually get "active" bars?

I mean, where I live I get full bars 99% of the time on several phones (nokia, samsung, etc, etc).

thx for the reply manji, so i should have all my old bladevillan settings back from a clockwork restore, and nothing from the r03 still in ?

good point on signal strength though , i am currently at work , and there is a o2 mast nearby, at home i know i usually get 2 to 3 bars on my blade, i will wait till i get home and see !!!

Guest Sebastian404

The fact that we can make calls at all is frankly very surprising, the RIL libs do come from a 2.1 device...

I keep repeating this, but the 003Z has a VERY different hardware to the Blade... the partition layout is different, the kernel loads in a different location, the Radio Hardware is quad-band...

there is always going to be little oddities and I'm more than happy to look into it, but to expect it to be perfect for everyone.... well, its not going to happen

If one of the Scandinavian carriers comes up with a 2.2 update we might be able to get closer, but for now, its unlikely...

Guest Maringer

Oh, I'm sure it will be OK. After all, aren't we supposed to be getting the code for the perfect Chinese ROM soon? Is it this Wednesday? Perhaps next Wednesday? :P :D

unhide your ssid. not sure why people do this, it actually decreases your security.

Could you provide with some objective evidence to back up your statement?

I also have hidden SSID at home and can connect to it without a problem. I'm running the stock 2.1 ROM.

Thanks for the confirmation manji.

1. I had the WPA2 not connect on hidden SSID also. There is a thread somewhere on this if you hunt for it. Basically we tracked it down to the password used. I had a very long 31bit password using all characters, digits etc... When I changed the password to a simple 1234567 all worked fine, obviously not a fix, but a least we know what it is that's causing it.

And now that clarifies things up a little bit. Thanks a lot. I think that between simplifying my password or disabling hidden SSID I'll have to use the second one :D

(...)

I keep repeating this, but the 003Z has a VERY different hardware to the Blade... the partition layout is different, the kernel loads in a different location, the Radio Hardware is quad-band...

there is always going to be little oddities and I'm more than happy to look into it, but to expect it to be perfect for everyone.... well, its not going to happen

(...)

Sebastian, thanks very much for your work on this ROM. I am extremely happy with it as it is. The reported issues are just minor glitches :P

Guest cbrpaul
thx for the reply manji, so i should have all my old bladevillan settings back from a clockwork restore, and nothing from the r03 still in ?

good point on signal strength though , i am currently at work , and there is a o2 mast nearby, at home i know i usually get 2 to 3 bars on my blade, i will wait till i get home and see !!!

just to confirm ,

signal meter all ok now on rom 2.1 ,

Guest dj tecnik

Hi ive been using this rom for about 3 days now, i mainly got it because i wanted to watch TVCatchup ( which requires flash player ).

TV catchup does work now but 80% of the time internet does not work, it trys to load the page then when its almost loaded just cuts out and the page disappears, this happens on wifi and 3g, also i cannot watch youtube vids since flashing this rom! apart from this i`ll admit evrything else seems fine and a lot faster.

could anybody recommend a rom that will let me watch TVCatchup but not at the expense of internet???? please help!

Guest lordofangels
Hi ive been using this rom for about 3 days now, i mainly got it because i wanted to watch TVCatchup ( which requires flash player ).

TV catchup does work now but 80% of the time internet does not work, it trys to load the page then when its almost loaded just cuts out and the page disappears, this happens on wifi and 3g, also i cannot watch youtube vids since flashing this rom! apart from this i`ll admit evrything else seems fine and a lot faster.

could anybody recommend a rom that will let me watch TVCatchup but not at the expense of internet???? please help!

m.tvcatchup.com should work fine

Guest dj tecnik
m.tvcatchup.com should work fine

it does mate but the internet cuts out 80% of the time on both wifi and 3g, also cant watch youtube vids since i put this rom on my phone

Guest Rotmann
The fact that we can make calls at all is frankly very surprising, the RIL libs do come from a 2.1 device...

If one of the Scandinavian carriers comes up with a 2.2 update we might be able to get closer, but for now, its unlikely...

Thanks for your reply, good that we know where does the problem come from. Can't you use the RIL libs from the chinese leak? FLB seems to do not have any problems with signal icon.

@dj tecnik - Did you flash the new kernel? Youtube works for perfect for me, love the 2.2 YouTube. Are you on T-Mobile UK on contract? There have been some problems for these users.

@qwsa, thanks for the tip with real signal, it is a work around, not very elegant but maybe there will be a fix sometime (I like to keep my status bar tidy :D ). It does work well though.

Guest jasonXXx

Hi all i mentioned on a diff post that i was going back to 2.1 as i cant relly see and speed improvements but i take that back now on 2.1 Zenonia 2 ran horrible to the point i could not play and now i run with no problems so smooth thanks seb what a difference a 2.2 rom makes.

Guest Sebastian404
Thanks for your reply, good that we know where does the problem come from. Can't you use the RIL libs from the chinese leak? FLB seems to do not have any problems with signal icon.

I seem to recall that the Chinese leak RIL libs had to be replaced since the Chinese Leak would have a different set of hardware too........

Guest dj tecnik
@dj tecnik - Did you flash the new kernel? Youtube works for perfect for me, love the 2.2 YouTube. Are you on T-Mobile UK on contract? There have been some problems for these users.

if im honest mate im a bit of a noob to flashing roms, I flashed r0.3_update_de-softened_blade_signed

and on `about phone` it says kernel version 2.6.32.9-perf zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT

is this correct??

Im on giffgaff by the way mate

Guest Len Ash
if im honest mate im a bit of a noob to flashing roms, I flashed r0.3_update_de-softened_blade_signed

is this correct??

Yes, correct.

Guest Rotmann

is this correct??

Hi, flash the "r0.3_update_de_softened_blade_signed.zip" let it reboot, wait a few minutes, reboot again, wait a few minutes again and then you have to flash "r0.3_update_de-softened_kernel_update_blade_signed.zip", this is the new kernel. If you flash only the "r0.3_update_de_softened_blade_signed.zip" you are on the old kernel which was buggy.

Have you wiped data/cache in ClockworkMOD before you installed this ROM? If you did, flash only the updated kernel, if not wipe and than install as i wrote.

Edited by Rotmann

Great rom - loving the new features of 2.2.

One weird thing though - Im using a Truphone SIM, and with this rom the phone thinks I am roaming all the time (little 'R' in the signal bars display). I even have to turn on Data Roaming to get any data access. I'm not roaming, and my previous 2.1 rom didn't do this.

Could be a weird Truphone thing, but thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is having the same issue.

Guest Rotmann

I've seen some users having the same problem on the Japanese Jellyfish on the Saunalahti network from Sweden. They applied a fix and it worked. The problem is related to two files libril-qc-1.so and libcm.so. You can apply this fix (flash it from clockwork) and see if it solved the problem. It worked for Saunalahti users, no more roaming shown on the status bar.

Guest RussellS

I am currently running Seb's r0.3 ROM from the file "r0.3_update_de-softened_blade_signed.zip". On the "About Phone" screen the Kernel version is reported as "2.6.32.9-perf zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT" and the Build number is reported as "P729BV1.0.0B15".

I would like to update to the later kernel but just want to make sure I have got it right in my head what steps I need to take.

Am I right that I just need to download the file "r0.3_update_de-softened_kernel_update_blade_signed.zip" (from the first page of this thread), put it on the SD card and then use the "install zip from sdcard" option in ClockworkMod and this will just apply the new kernel but not effect the installed apps and current settings. Also I assume that you should not do a data/cache wipe as obviously that would effect the settings etc.

I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before doing it.

Thanks

I've seen some users having the same problem on the Japanese Jellyfish on the Saunalahti network from Sweden. They applied a fix and it worked. The problem is related to two files libril-qc-1.so and libcm.so. You can apply this fix (flash it from clockwork) and see if it solved the problem. It worked for Saunalahti users, no more roaming shown on the status bar.

Cheers - I'll give that a try.

Guest Sebastian404
Cheers - I'll give that a try.

That would be EXACTLY the same 'fix' as I posted a few pages ago that apparently made things worse for some users (only feedback I got)