[ROM] 31/Dec r0.3: de-softened ROM for ZTE Blade / Orange San Francisco [froyo] [OLED+TFT]

Guest Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404
I am currently running Seb's r0.3 ROM from the file "r0.3_update_de-softened_blade_signed.zip". On the "About Phone" screen the Kernel version is reported as "2.6.32.9-perf zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT" and the Build number is reported as "P729BV1.0.0B15".

I would like to update to the later kernel but just want to make sure I have got it right in my head what steps I need to take.

Am I right that I just need to download the file "r0.3_update_de-softened_kernel_update_blade_signed.zip" (from the first page of this thread), put it on the SD card and then use the "install zip from sdcard" option in ClockworkMod and this will just apply the new kernel but not effect the installed apps and current settings. Also I assume that you should not do a data/cache wipe as obviously that would effect the settings etc.

I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before doing it.

Thanks

Yes that's it exactly

Guest tttonyyy

On the signal bars thing, they do work for me but the range appears to be set so four bars are shown for quite weak signal.

For example, I have Real Signal installed and when that shows one bar, the standard status meter also shows one bar, but as soon as Real Signal gets up to 2 bars the standard one jumps right up to four.

So it looks like it works, but with a strange choice of signal range.

Guest dj tecnik
Hi, flash the "r0.3_update_de_softened_blade_signed.zip" let it reboot, wait a few minutes, reboot again, wait a few minutes again and then you have to flash "r0.3_update_de-softened_kernel_update_blade_signed.zip", this is the new kernel. If you flash only the "r0.3_update_de_softened_blade_signed.zip" you are on the old kernel which was buggy.

Have you wiped data/cache in ClockworkMOD before you installed this ROM? If you did, flash only the updated kernel, if not wipe and than install as i wrote.

Hi mate, I had wiped data and cache but i hadnt flashed the updated kernel, Ive just flashed the kernel but I`m still having the same problem, Im probably gona re-flash it all again and give it one last try as i really dont want to go back to 2.1.

cheers for remiding me about the kernel pal :D

On the signal bars thing, they do work for me but the range appears to be set so four bars are shown for quite weak signal.

For example, I have Real Signal installed and when that shows one bar, the standard status meter also shows one bar, but as soon as Real Signal gets up to 2 bars the standard one jumps right up to four.

So it looks like it works, but with a strange choice of signal range.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm sure I saw mine down at 1 bar and then jump straight back to 4. It may be that the parameters for the signal levels are wrong.

Any chance you could look into this Seb? I know it's pretty minor, but it would be nice to have it working properly. :D

Guest mouseman99

Just re the signal bars. Mostly mine is either on 1 or 4 as most people but I have caught it a few times sitting on 2/3 bars (not very often though)

Guest Ronald Hummelink
Yes that's it exactly

Now i'm confused. I thought I had loaded the kernel update through clockwork, my phone still shows 2.6.32.9-perf zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT --- Just flashed the update zip once more, no change. Did I misunderstand the above post as in which version the kernel build by sebastian himself should say, or am i still running the beta kernel?

Guest Sebastian404
So, how do you actually know that it has been applied correctly then.

if you use ADB shell and then do a 'uname -a' you should see the version...

If I remember correctly that version is read the first time the device is booted and never checked again... if you do a wipe of userdata it will reflect the right version...

at least mine currently says 2.6.32.9-perf

Guest leetron1

Hi Seb..great ROM especially since kernel update. Any thoughts for its development? Have you considered altering data partition size, if thats supported?

Many thanks :D

Guest dj tecnik
if im honest mate im a bit of a noob to flashing roms, I flashed r0.3_update_de-softened_blade_signed

and on `about phone` it says kernel version 2.6.32.9-perf zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT

is this correct??

Im on giffgaff by the way mate

alright guys iv sorted it now, just re-flashed everything and everything seems to be working fine now! cheers

Guest jimmychan

Thanks for the Rom Seb. It's the most stable 2.2 ROM I have used so far. I live in the UK and I am using the O2 network. I have one issue. When the alarm comes on the screen does not flash, I have turn the unit on at the power button then dismiss the alarm. Not a majot issue really but Is there a fix for this?

Guest mouseman99
Thanks for the Rom Seb. It's the most stable 2.2 ROM I have used so far. I live in the UK and I am using the O2 network. I have one issue. When the alarm comes on the screen does not flash, I have turn the unit on at the power button then dismiss the alarm. Not a majot issue really but Is there a fix for this?

You should see me trying to turn the alarm off every morning. Pushing and stabbing at any button I can find

Guest MrFlanders

hi there!

just upgraded from seb02 to seb03 with kernel upgrade! thanks! no problems so far.

but still one question, is it possible to reenable froyos tethering? i would appreciate that very much.

but still one question, is it possible to reenable froyos tethering? i would appreciate that very much.

Is it disabled on yours? It works on my r0.3 with updated kernel. It's under Settings | Wireless & networks | Tethering & portable hotspot.

Well it still works if it's set to 2G only, but you have to have mobile data enabled otherwise the tethering options are greyed out. Makes sense I guess! If you've got mobile data switched off that would be the problem.

If your tethering options are missing though rather than just greyed out, there's something else going on.

Thinking about it, the only other thing I've done which might have made it work is to flash the "reboot option in power menu" mod, from this thread: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-in-power-menu/

It installs a new /system/framework/android.policy.jar, and if that contains definitions of all the system menus that might cause the tethering menu items to appear.

Having said that, if you search this thread for "tethering" you'll find a post from Seb saying tethering works on r0.3 out of the box, so my theory might be wrong. But if flashing that update doesn't work, I'm out of ideas I'm afraid.

Guest Ronald Hummelink

I have USB and Wifi tethering in the menu's. Stock r0.3 + new kernel.

New kernel does show with uname by the way, odd this is saved for display in the menus :D

Thanks for the info on that and sebastian in particular for his work.

Guest Rotmann

For peeps having problems with roaming shown in the taskbar, I have found a solution:

You need your stock ROM and zip program. Replace libril-qc-1.so and libcm.so (in /system/lib) with the versions from your stock ROM and reinstall. Or if you are familiar with adb you can push the files and reboot. Some phones seems to come with RIL libs that "hides" this kind of roaming. Saunalahti is another example that has this kind of setup.

Good news on the signal bars, kallt_kaffe updated his services.jar and it should work on our ROMs too. We could extract it from his ROM and copy it into our ROM. It is found in /system/framework/services.jar Or we can try to flash a theme from Frankish, it has the fixed services.jar in it.

No guarantee that it works, nandroid before trying. Please share your experiences.