[ROM] [froyo] Japanese Jellyfish RLS9 [2011-01-24] [OLED+TFT]

Guest kallt_kaffe

APNdroid causes it.

You can use the Energy-Widget from Froyo (Homescree - Widgets) to turn off Data (no need for ApnDroid). Its the icon with the 2 arrows between GPS and the sync icon.

Thanks Peter. I have APNdroid on my Desire but I don't see it on my SF? Also, I can't find Energy-Widget in the Market?

Guest Jason Patrick
APNdroid causes it.

You can use the Energy-Widget from Froyo (Homescree - Widgets) to turn off Data (no need for ApnDroid). Its the icon with the 2 arrows between GPS and the sync icon.

The Froyo widget just disables the data mode, however, some ill behaved (or older) apps may ignore this and still use data. For this reason APNDroid garbles the APN settings which ensures data cannot work when disabled regardless of whether data is on or not. Further, some 3G bandwidth monitors are integrated with the APNdroid approach (as they disable data where exceeding a defined usage threshold via APN garbling).

However, you can also use Widgetsoid from the market, which is a power widget that have a compatible APN garbling approach, but doesn't give the connection errors.

Guest Jason Patrick

Though I'd share that I'm having to revert back to JJ8 from JJ9 as I'm encountering an issue with A2SD.

Problem encountered: when installing apps from the Market under JJ9 (but not earlier JJ roms)Android sometimes performs a soft reboot (restarts from the boot animation not the Android boot screen). When this happens the ext2 partition is not sync'd properly and may cause file corruptions. The JJ9 was performed with a clean install (data/cache wipe).

Note - in this case I'm using a modified A2SD+ approach (which uses mount -o bind links rather than symbolic links, as the latter caused a different issue for me on a earlier roms), don't know if this is involved in the issue or not.

Guest PeterDreher
Though I'd share that I'm having to revert back to JJ8 from JJ9 as I'm encountering an issue with A2SD.

I think A2SD is not needed on Ext2 anymore since it is 2.2

When using the TPT-Method you will have 244MB free ROM. With ModInstall from the Market you can push every app that supports A2SD to the SD-Card. Sure this will still need some megs on the ROM but 244MB are more than enough.

(200 Apps, where every APP uses 1meg on the ROM, isn't that enough???)

Edited by PeterDreher

Guest skymera

When using the TPT-Method you will have 244MB free ROM. With ModInstall from the Market you can push every app that supports A2SD to the SD-Card. Sure this will still need some megs on the ROM but 244MB are more than enough.

I have many games that are 40MB+ each, so A2SD is a must for me.

Plus the FroYo method doesn't pull everything on the SD, whereas using EXT2 all apps are on SD and dalvik too if you use cachesd

Guest PeterDreher
I have many games that are 40MB+ each, so A2SD is a must for me.

Plus the FroYo method doesn't pull everything on the SD, whereas using EXT2 all apps are on SD and dalvik too if you use cachesd

But most oft the games support A2SD on Froyo, right? So you will only be left with 2-3 Megs on the ROM.

Guest PeterDreher
Thanks Peter. I have APNdroid on my Desire but I don't see it on my SF? Also, I can't find Energy-Widget in the Market?

OK then check your APN Settings! They seem to be wrong.

Jason Patrick said this would be a good app for turning off Data without the Error:

Widgetsoid

Guest Jason Patrick

It's all a matter of choice -

- Froyo APPS2SD has some limitations, for example: no widgets (and certain other apps) cannot be installed on the SD card; Dalvik cache cannot be relocated; if you mount your SD you loose access to the apps, etc. Plus side is ease of use as it requires no pre-prep of the sdcard and requires less knowledge to maintain (i.e. works within Android). Note - there apps to multimount the SD, but it is unclear how well these work with Froyo style APPS2SD and are not guaranteed to work with future Andorid releases.

- A2SD+ (DT's, others or homegrown) has advantages as it works transparently to Android (operates at the Linux level) - all apps (and widgets) by default are installed on the SDCARD. Downside it requires knowledge and the facility to setup linux partitions, and knowledge how to fix the linux filesystem (e.g. via ADB in recovery mode) when things go wrong.

- Re TPT, this is a different point, and offers an option to re-allocate the storage on the phone as required - however, this only provides so much room for growth and represents a choice between the system size and the data size.

Personally I prefer more control that that A2SD+ offers, with a 1GBMB A2SD partition means I can install a fair number of apps (and their dalvik dex images. I also use the standard layout rom partitions, which allows me to install a number of 'choice' apps on the system that cannot be removed easily and are accessible if I swap the SDCARD out for any reason.

Guest Shrikey
The jerky scrolling is doing my head in. Think I'll downgrade to R8, it worked flawlessly for me. Hopefully the fixed FM Radio will still work if I flash without wiping.

So you got good scrolling with RL8 then? I just installed RL8 and got the jerky scrolling immediately before anything else was installed or updated and cant fix it. Everything else is going well for me. I do ahve the issue mentioned a page back where " in Spare Parts, there is a process called "0" that is hogging network usage" that crashes immediately upon opening but i dont know how important it is.

Guest Filipe Catalao

Hi. I'm using RLS9 and i had no gps sattelites. Why?

I can't use gps.

Only a-gps is working. with or without him activated, normal GPS don't detect nothing

Guest KopCity

can someone please guide me what to do...im currently downloading JAPANESE JellyfishRLS9.zip to my computer...ph phone is 2.1 at the moment n its my first time im upgrading..what do i do after installing?

thanks

Hi, JJ9 works fine. I've heard that ext3 would make my phone much faster or more battery-saving. If that is correct how do I get ext3 on my phone? I used Clockwork Recovery 2.5.1.8 for installing JJ9.

can someone please guide me what to do...im currently downloading JAPANESE JellyfishRLS9.zip to my computer...ph phone is 2.1 at the moment n its my first time im upgrading..what do i do after installing?

thanks

firstly you need to go and read a lot before doing anything, you'll need to root your phone, download fastboot and install clockwork recovery to your phone before even attempting to install any roms, i suggest the search button the FAQ area is also very good for newbies

Guest unklejoe

Just a quick question (and I'm sorry if it's been asked before, but 161 pages!!)

But for the overclock file, do you just install from SD in clockwork and then wipe the caches then reboot? After a nandroid backup of course!

Thanks for any help you can give me, new (but enjoying the android community, you guys rule!)

Guest vareBlade
Just a quick question (and I'm sorry if it's been asked before, but 161 pages!!)

But for the overclock file, do you just install from SD in clockwork and then wipe the caches then reboot? After a nandroid backup of course!

Thanks for any help you can give me, new (but enjoying the android community, you guys rule!)

(if wipe is required then)

its backup, wipe cache, wipe data, install rom, reboot

Edited by vareBlade

Guest digital0
firstly you need to go and read a lot before doing anything, you'll need to root your phone, download fastboot and install clockwork recovery to your phone before even attempting to install any roms, i suggest the search button the FAQ area is also very good for newbies

Reading never harms, but there is much simpler method - get Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9_image.zip (for repartitioning and install) and you don't have to root your phone, download fastboot and install clockwork recovery.

Guest stevew69
What causes the 'Connections cannot be made' message that appears when I try to access the home screen?

Hi

I keep getting this message and the screen darkens but I havent got APN droid installed and just updated to JJ9. A

I also cant seem to edit / add the APNs either now .... is this normal ?

Steve

Edited by stevew69

Guest MrPuddington
Ok, it was not the apps. I again lost 40% over night with just 3G+ on and no apps loaded (freshly booted in the evening).

Maybe it is the facebook widget that I am using. I will try that next...

Switching off 3G did make all the difference - now it just lost 1% overnight, which is very good (and that with lots of apps in the background). So 3G network seems to be reason for the power issues with JJ RLS6. I thought android falls back to 2G during sleep, but maybe it does not for some reason.

I think I can live with that, but I may give Seb's ROM a try, it looks rather promising.

Edited by MrPuddington

Guest stevew69
Hi

I keep getting this message and the screen darkens but I havent got APN droid installed and just updated to JJ9. A

Steve

Actually my mobile internet has stopped altogether now :lol:

Guest PeterDreher
Hi

Steve

This is normal but

HOW to delete / edit those APNs?

Thanks!