[ROM] [froyo] Japanese Jellyfish RLS9 [2011-01-24] [OLED+TFT]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest Phil001

...battery life...

Have just spent 10mins browsing this forum,and my battery has gone from 96 to 85!

Using 3g,have hardware acc zip installed.

Is this normal? Seems bad after coming from the 2.1mcr

Guest jr866gooner

occasionally I get "connection cannot be made" Does anyone have any tips on stopping this please?

Thank you!

May take the plunge and go for rls9 this weekend.......or maybe wait for 10 who knows!!

Guest doireabu
occasionally I get "connection cannot be made" Does anyone have any tips on stopping this please?

Thank you!

May take the plunge and go for rls9 this weekend.......or maybe wait for 10 who knows!!

you sure you got the data connection turned on... the symbol with the two arrows between gps and snyc?

Guest jolival

Thank you!

yes, when the credit or data trafic was expired.

apologies if this is a really nooby question!

but I've flash JJ RLS9 onto my SF and ran into a bit of problem but got round it, so all is sweet.

I now want to have a look at some of the add-ons on page 1;

e.g

Japanese_Jellyfish_RLS9_circle_battery.zip

but I can't see how to install this

I though it'd be the same as the ROM no?

I tried using recovery manager and lauched that, then tried various options like install firmware update etc but that just gives,

you need to install a custom firmware before you can install a new firmware update!

Any help/pointers appreciated......

I was having problems with vlc stream and convert glitching and going badly out of sync.

Just edited build.prop and turned stagefright on and it seems fine now.

Is there any reason these lines are commented out or have no entryt?

#ro.wifi.channels=14

ro.wifi.channels=

wifi.interface=wlan0

#wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=180

Are they not needed?

Guest PeterDreher
To answer my own question, it's a problem with Superuser app. I compiled my own version from the GIT hub and now it's working fine!

Yes, PLEASE UPLOAD!

How to get rid of the old one?

Guest IronDoc
I was having problems with vlc stream and convert glitching and going badly out of sync.

I'll test this out, I thought the bad performance was just unavoidable. Are there actually any downsides to having stagefright on apart from wrong quadrant scores?

Oh, which did you turn on? Did you have to enable the http one since that can cause a green bar on youtube vids I think.

...battery life...

Have just spent 10mins browsing this forum,and my battery has gone from 96 to 85!

Using 3g,have hardware acc zip installed.

Is this normal? Seems bad after coming from the 2.1mcr

I'm still using rls4 with the new kernel (hw acceleration enabled, but I'm probably going to disable it in the future, when upgrading to rls9 or more recent), but here are some observations: I disabled "Use wireless networks" and "Use assisted GPS" from the location settings and also enabled "Use only 2G networks" in the wireless & networks settings. Now the battery goes down 1% per hour in standby mode with wifi & screen off, so it seems possible to get 2 days of standby with light use. Previously the phone was using 1% battery in just 1-2 minutes and had to be recharged several times per day. I hope this helps.

The battery usage shows:

47% cell standby

43% phone idle

5% display

3% wifi

Wifi is always enabled when the screen goes on. I have the AHB overclock on, but CPU runs at minimum frequency thanks to setcpu. The only way to make it use less power is probably to tweak the kernel or to disable cellphone networks completely

Edited by miasma

Could you upload this please?

Yes, PLEASE UPLOAD!

Sure, here we go: http://www.mediafire.com/?rhdeih188rv785o. Note, you (probably) will need to uninstall the old one, because this is signed using my own key:

If install from the market fails, use adb to issue these commands:

adb remount

adb shell rm /system/app/Superuser.apk

adb shell pm uninstall com.noshufou.android.su
or from terminal:
$ su

# (remount for your phone, Nexus One is 'mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system', other phones will use the same pattern, but may vary on the '/dev...' bit)

# rm /system/app/Superuser.apk

# pm uninstall com.noshufou.android.su

# (same remount command as above, but with 'remount,ro' instead of 'remount,rw')

I'm not sure how those key things work, do they prevent upgrading your software if they differ. Anyway, I did a version bump, but I just added a .1 in the end, so the market app should note when a newer version is available.

NOTE: I take no responsibility of using this modification, although it should be fine.

EDIT: on a side note, this is compiled for 2.2 if anyone tries to run this in other systems. I don't know how it handles there.

EDIT2: please try the version from post #3379 instead, it should help with the version issues.

Edited by Janil

Guest kallt_kaffe

Is there any reason these lines are commented out or have no entryt?

#ro.wifi.channels=14

ro.wifi.channels=

wifi.interface=wlan0

#wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=180

Are they not needed?

They are not in the stock ZTE roms.

ro.wifi.channels=14 I believe is meant to enable an extra wifi channel that is uses in some contries. Not sure if it has any effect on ZTE ROMs.

wifi.supplicant_scan_interval is not setup in ZTE ROMs, no idea what it defaults to. Setting it to a high value reduces battery usage but makes it take longer to reconnect to wifi when wifi is avialable. I had it setup to 180 seconds a few releases ago but some people had problems with wifi not reconnecting so I removed it. Many HTC ROMs usually set this to 15 seconds. As I understand it works like this. When you are out of range from a know wifi AP wifi turns on at this interval and scans for AP:s. So when you are in range and connected to an AP wifi is always on and this interval value has no effect but when out of range a higher number makes it turn on wifi less often and it saves battery. Feel free to experiment with increasing it.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Sure, here we go: http://www.mediafire.com/?rhdeih188rv785o. Note, you (probably) will need to uninstall the old one, because this is signed using my own key:

I'm not sure how those key things work, do they prevent upgrading your software if they differ. Anyway, I did a version bump, but I just added a .1 in the end, so the market app should note when a newer version is available.

NOTE: I take no responsibility of using this modification, although it should be fine.

EDIT: on a side note, this is compiled for 2.2 if anyone tries to run this in other systems. I don't know how it handles there.

Very interesting... I'm going to try this one out as I get the "su-hangs" at least on a weekly basis.

EDIT: Your version is 2.3.6.1.1 compared to the released version that is 2.3.6.1. On the other hand your code says VersionCode is 24 while the released is 25. Not sure which one is the latest.

Edited by kallt_kaffe

Guest MrPuddington
I'm still using rls4 with the new kernel (hw acceleration enabled, but I'm probably going to disable it in the future, when upgrading to rls9 or more recent), but here are some observations: I disabled "Use wireless networks" and "Use assisted GPS" from the location settings and also enabled "Use only 2G networks" in the wireless & networks settings. Now the battery goes down 1% per hour in standby mode with wifi & screen off, so it seems possible to get 2 days of standby with light use.

I agree - my battery was going down really fast with 3G enabled. Switching 3G off solved the problem. WiFi does not seem to be as much of an issue, probably because it disconnects when idle.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Very interesting... I'm going to try this one out as I get the "su-hangs" at least on a weekly basis.

EDIT: Your version is 2.3.6.1.1 compared to the released version that is 2.3.6.1. On the other hand your code says VersionCode is 24 while the released is 25. Not sure which one is the latest.

EDIT2: Didn't help me, got one of the su-hangs at the first attempt to start SetCPU after reboot. :lol:

Guest Phil001
I agree - my battery was going down really fast with 3G enabled. Switching 3G off solved the problem. WiFi does not seem to be as much of an issue, probably because it disconnects when idle.

well just disabled hardware acc, so i'll see how it goes.

pretty sure its the 3g doing it though, as it drains at an incredible rate when browsing the internet on 3G.

don't really want to turn 3G off, defeats point in having a smartphone for me

Guest los_alamos_boy
well just disabled hardware acc, so i'll see how it goes.

pretty sure its the 3g doing it though, as it drains at an incredible rate when browsing the internet on 3G.

don't really want to turn 3G off, defeats point in having a smartphone for me

Seems to be the same for me. With rls9, I have nothing extra installed. During the night, without data, it went down 1%. When I woke up and put data back on, so my phone could sync weather etc. and browsed a bit of facebook and watched a youtube video. All of this taking around 4 minutes, and my battery went down 11%. Before I could only get this rapid depletion with Angry Birds :-O

ps. I always install roms with full battery. Charged first with the phone on and then off.

Edited by los_alamos_boy

Seems to be the same for me. With rls9, I have nothing extra installed. During the night, without data, it went down 1%. When I woke up and put data back on, so my phone could sync weather etc. and browsed a bit of facebook and watched a youtube video. All of this taking around 4 minutes, and my battery went down 11%. Before I could only get this rapid depletion with Angry Birds :-O

ps. I always install roms with full battery. Charged first with the phone on and then off.

Have you analyzed where the power mostly goes? Playing high-res videos requires quite a lot of cpu power. I've noticed that e.g. 15 minutes of youtube videos makes the phone really hot. I wouldn't be surpised to hear that youtube uses most of the battery

This whole superuser issue is weird. I have a rooted phone (thanks to universal androot). However, su in the terminal usually gives 'permission error'. I've only once managed to get it through. I'm also running setcpu, but can't access its GUI. It seems to run correctly in the background. The superuser app launches without problems, but clicking e.g. the log tab makes it hang.

edit: solved the terminal issue. It seems all inexistant commands give a permission error and 'SU' (i'm blind) was one of them. The correct command is of course written in lower case.

Edited by miasma

I'll test this out, I thought the bad performance was just unavoidable. Are there actually any downsides to having stagefright on apart from wrong quadrant scores?

Oh, which did you turn on? Did you have to enable the http one since that can cause a green bar on youtube vids I think.

I did enable http at first but had the green bar on youtube, disabled now and vlc still runs better.

They are not in the stock ZTE roms.

ro.wifi.channels=14 I believe is meant to enable an extra wifi channel that is uses in some contries. Not sure if it has any effect on ZTE ROMs.

wifi.supplicant_scan_interval is not setup in ZTE ROMs, no idea what it defaults to. Setting it to a high value reduces battery usage but makes it take longer to reconnect to wifi when wifi is avialable. I had it setup to 180 seconds a few releases ago but some people had problems with wifi not reconnecting so I removed it. Many HTC ROMs usually set this to 15 seconds. As I understand it works like this. When you are out of range from a know wifi AP wifi turns on at this interval and scans for AP:s. So when you are in range and connected to an AP wifi is always on and this interval value has no effect but when out of range a higher number makes it turn on wifi less often and it saves battery. Feel free to experiment with increasing it.

Thanks for that, I set it to 90.

I'll see how it goes.

I also had to install the wifi supplicant fix again to get my wireless connecting when coming out of sleep.

I noticed Pauls R11 has some references to dalvik in build.prop that yours doesn't, are they not really needed?

dalvik.vm.heapsize=32m

dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y

dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit

dalvik.vm.dexopt-data-only=1

Guest los_alamos_boy
Have you analyzed where the power mostly goes? Playing high-res videos requires quite a lot of cpu power. I've noticed that e.g. 15 minutes of youtube videos makes the phone really hot. I wouldn't be surpised to hear that youtube uses most of the battery

Nope. The most battery goes to "Cell standby". Before JJ it went to system idle. But it can also be that the system idle now consumes less battery :-P

Guest stevew69

Hi all

Updated to JJ9 with HW UI addon and message fix.

1) Does changing the ROM alter the GPS locating in Google maps ..... mine keeps thinking Im elsewhere.

2) Anyone managed to get MMS working ..... I spent several hours altering Network settings to no avail.

Any help appreciated

Steve

PS I did do a forum search but not alot of info on above relating to JJ9

Guest taannuk
I agree - my battery was going down really fast with 3G enabled.

Agree.

I used Paul's 3 alpha before and the battery life with 3G enabled was really great. I do like JJ RLS9 if only battery drain problems (I am sure it is 3G to point at) could be solved. Please!

Thank you!