[ROM] [froyo] Japanese Jellyfish RLS9 [2011-01-24] [OLED+TFT]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest Len Ash
Clicking fourth button along on power control widget gives connection could not be made error. Not sure what icon means or if this helps

That "button" (2 arrows horizontal) enables Network Data when enabled. i.e. GPRS/Edge/2G/3G/H

List of known problems (as of 2011-02-03)

Serious or not user fixable or not understood issues:

- wifi reconnection problems still for some users, but fine for others. seems to depend on access point. blade wifi fix app not included could still be used if affected?

- no wifi/3g data sync whilst asleep e.g. no background email checks etc - some say this is hardware problem of Blade, but i think notification LED worked in 2.1 ??

- camera exposure control not working

- dialler wakes, reducing battery runtime, can be fixed by flashing alternative framework-res.apk ?

- language problems e.g. for Portuguese user?

minor/user work-around-able issues

- virtual provider name not shown e.g. GiffGaff not 02 (only cosmetic i think)

- no included way to copy paste txt from txt files e.g. for network key - if needed install a text editor apk from sd card

- 2 radio apps included, only one needed or works?

NOT JJ issues (or general Froyo issues)

- not sleeping properly - check your apps and settings. only power button should wake asleep Blade

- no headphone icon? caused by 0x90 mod apparently

- sd card mounting when connecting to computer

- sd card compatibility

- battery calibration problems

- proxo sensor calibration

- "connection could not be made" errors when waking and when enabling mobile data e.g. when booting or power control 4th button. caused by incorrect APN, select correct APN!

anyone has others please reply or edit if you can.

Edited by Smiff2

Guest eucurto
Can you elaborate on that? Any steps to follow to get rid of this would be useful, I can't see how otherwise you can use this ROM for day to day use...

"CONNECTION CANNOT BE MADE"

I HAD this issue and now its SOLVED!!

The most difficult part was to find a pattern to identify the origin. Done!

This happens to people that has a SIM card from a sub-operator that uses services from the main operator. Strange? I'll explain with an example:

Portugal has 3 main mobile operators: TMN, OPTIMUS and VODAFONE. Each of this has sub-operators:

TMN: Uzo, Phonix

OPTIMUS: rede4

VODAFONE: yorn, zon

My situation: I have a "rede4" SIM card and the automatic APN configured it to OPTIMUS definitions BUT "rede4" has some different details in the APNs. I configured them correctly and now the message is GONE!

A friend with a SIM card "zon" that uses VODAFONE network had the exact same problem, solved changing APNs definitions to the correct ones.

You have to ask the sub-operator for the correct configurations.

You can't edit the default APNs, they are BLOCKED, so you need a software to erase/replace them and them you have access to edit them.

For Portugal we have APN Portugal but for international APNs i don't know which app to use but i think APNdroid is the correct one.

If you use Curvefish APN On/Off widget, you also will have problems!! Because when you turn connection Off with this widget, it adds something like [disabled] to the APN name in the APN settings and then the CONNECTIONS CANNOT... error comes back!! So, simply use the stock widget that has wifi, bt, gps, data, sync and light all in one and it won't mess with APN settings and no more CONNECTION errors.

Hope this is the solution for all of you with this problem that was stopping this ROM from being PERFECT Wednesday ROM! ;)

Edited by eucurto

yes confirmed well done - noticing it was related to that power control button should have been a big hint. if android stated in dialogue title bars where an error was coming from this type of thing would be obvious. i was simply hiding the error before by disabling mobile data.

anyway thanks, updated list. another item crossed off the JJ bugs ;)

Edited by Smiff2

Battery Woes

I really like JJ RLS9 but having just moved from RLS 7 I have to say there is a massive difference in power usage.

I am really surprised more people have not been shouting about this.

I know there have been references to some sort of fix for this, but it seems more of a workaround and as a result I was reluctant to do it.

The end result for me is to revert back to RLS 7 because the battery drain really is so bad.

Gone from 100% to 30% in 16 hrs with barely any use - no calls made, tiny bit of wifi and no GPS use in that time.

Guest karololszak

I am experiencing some problems with Bluetooth:

1. People can't detect my Blade unless their device is really close (like 1 meter or so, should work for further distances!)

2. The binding/joining thing (don't know how it's called in english UI) doesn't work always - sometimes you press accept and then it alerts that the connection has been stopped.

3. Even if I estabilish connection, it's quite slow... I did comparisment with a GT540 - I sent the same files from both phones to the same device (one after another), Swift was about two times quicker in the transfer than Blade! ... Also, it found the device quicker, and estabilished connection (binding/joining) quicker...

I will see how it will look like on files from de-crossed...

Guest JarousCZE

The end result for me is to revert back to RLS 7 because the battery drain really is so bad.

Gone from 100% to 30% in 16 hrs with barely any use - no calls made, tiny bit of wifi and no GPS use in that time.

Yes, my sf with rls7 last for ages too:) making calls, wifi on, playing game 3-4days no problem:)

But, do you also have problem with notification led? In my case work only with screen on.

Guest cicciopuzzo

Hy, sorry for my bad english... However i want to know what is the mean duration of the battery with jj9... Without email push, only with sms, call and internet... Thanks

Guest Carlos Abel Chavez Slim

This ROM isn't being developed anymore and the creator of it isn't interested/doesn't have time to look at the issues. It's probably time to jump ship.

Guest targetbsp

That depends on if you have any issues with this rom I guess. ;) I have this, flibble 7a and Modaco r11 on my phone as backups I switch between and this one has been absolutely perfect for me for the past several days. There isn't a single thing wrong with it. I've not tried one of sebs roms yet I must admit - might give that a go tomorrow. :D

With Jellyfish: my battery lasts for days, my wifi reconnects with 100% reliability, my GPS works fine, my proximity sensor works fine, it's fast and smooth. It couldn't actually be developed any better for my needs. ;)

I do have high hopes for R12 though. I really like R11 and used it for a good while but it's poor at wifi reconnecting for me.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest Maringer

I've been using JJ9 without any problems for well over a week now.

I've not been using the phone for much more than a few short calls and text messages each day, checking e-mail and perhaps downloading the odd small app during the evening, but battery life was going extremely well (WIFI off almost all the time, 3G on). After 48 hours of this light usage, I often had in the region of 50% battery remaining!

However, this all changed last night when I updated a few apps through the Market. Since then battery has been draining like nobody's business and in Spare Parts, the Dialer is showing up as having huge partial wake usage. The phone doesn't appear to be sleeping properly. I was using dialer2 as I liked the look of the app + the T9 dialling. This was updated from version 2.11 to 2.50 last night and this was when the problems began. I've since uninstalled dialer2 but this doesn't appear to have resolved the partial wake problem for the Dialer. I now have Dialer One installed yet the Dialer partial wake problem is still there.

This is most frustrating! I'm heading away this weekend and don't think I'll have time to look into this before then so it looks as though I may end up worrying about keeping the phone properly charged because of this inexplicable change.

Guest 90180360
This ROM isn't being developed anymore and the creator of it isn't interested/doesn't have time to look at the issues. It's probably time to jump ship.

;)

Nobody willing to take over? It's such a shame that there is so little knowledge transfer on this board...

Guest prasad_den

Can someone tell me how to uninstall an addon? I installed the smart dialer add on for JJ9, but it was not exactly what I expected, so I want to uninstall it.

Edit: The problem is much more serious than I thought. Ever since I installed the addon, I am unable to see any contacts in the contacts list, although the number of contacts is displayed in the Groups tab. The number of contacts is displayed under System Group: My Contacts, but when I click on it, an error message saying a the process android.process.acore has closed unexpectedly, and I'm prompted to force close. Any solutions?

Edited by prasad_den

Guest 90180360
Unfortunately hardware acceleration is not just disabled for the UI. 3D games run much worse than before.

Maybe it would be much better to have HW acceleration enabled by default. There's no proof that turning it off saves any battery and many people don't realize that they could have a much more powerful phone.

I have to disagree. If you disable something that has clear benefits, then you better prove that it has any disadvantages.

But anyway, I did the test. Result:

HARDWARE ACCELERATION DOES NOT USE ANY MORE BATTERY!!!

Test: I used the menu of NFS Shift. It's smooth with HW enabled, choppy otherwise (just like the rest of the game or any 3D game). I let it run for 22 minutes. Airplane mode on, screen timeout 30 min, lowest screen brightness, full battery at start, stock CPU speed, TFT Blade. Result: 85% battery level with HW, 85% without.

Guest robinhud2010
Can someone tell me how to uninstall an addon? I installed the smart dialer add on for JJ9, but it was not exactly what I expected, so I want to uninstall it.

Edit: The problem is much more serious than I thought. Ever since I installed the addon, I am unable to see any contacts in the contacts list, although the number of contacts is displayed in the Groups tab. The number of contacts is displayed under System Group: My Contacts, but when I click on it, an error message saying a the process android.process.acore has closed unexpectedly, and I'm prompted to force close. Any solutions?

You can't uninstall an addon. But you can flash the rom again, this time without wiping to remove all addons and have the rom like new. Hope this helps ;)

Yes, my sf with rls7 last for ages too:) making calls, wifi on, playing game 3-4days no problem:)

But, do you also have problem with notification led? In my case work only with screen on.

RLS9, 46h uptime unplugged and battery is still at 57%. Using 3G and Angry Birds from time to time.

EDIT: I mean 46h unplugged, not uptime.

Edited by Janil

Guest M@kedonskiy

How I can disable charging from USB port on Jellyfish RLS9 ROM?

This option is present in Orange stock ROM. It allows the battery to recharge only if charger is connected. when the phone connected to PC charging did not occur.

I do - no notification LED with RLS7 but seemed to work on RLS9

Guest targetbsp

You know that due to the Blades design led notifications only work when the phone is not sleeping right? So if your led notifications are going with the screen off then the phone is either charging or not sleeping properly.

You can get around this by using apps such as noled, flash notify or tasker scripts. They prevent the phone from sleeping when you have a notification.

Applied fix from page 169 which seems to have fixed the Dialer issue in spare parts.

Also made a new APN and the connection error has disappeared so far. Fingers crossed.

Applied fix from page 169 which seems to have fixed the Dialer issue in spare parts.

Also made a new APN and the connection error has disappeared so far. Fingers crossed.

can I ask if you have tried applying any skins to your phone since flashing it with this update?

can I ask if you have tried applying any skins to your phone since flashing it with this update?

I don't think so, i am new to this and am not sure what a skin is. I am guessing it is some kind of theme. (which i don't have)

I am now monitoring the battery usage to try and get a reasonable level of usage. I would say pre update i was getting about 12 hours. I really need it to last a full day minimum. I see people are getting 3-4 days. I have never had this with any ROM so far.

I hardly use WIFI, 3G is on all the time, no GPS. not many apps running! I am starting to think i need to turn off push email. It is something i use a lot and would really like to keep it on.