[ROM] [froyo] Japanese Jellyfish RLS9 [2011-01-24] [OLED+TFT]

Guest kallt_kaffe

Guest targetbsp

You need to choose what speed to overclock at. Go up slowly and test the phone at each step. All phones will clock at different speeds - you need to test what yours can take the first time your doing it. Don't tell it to overclock on boot until you've tested your chosen speed for a good while and are very sure your phone can handle it!

Edited by targetbsp

lol carlos, same here with the network.

Anyway, what are the downsides of overclocking on this phone?

Obviously battery life, more heat, but does it cause instability at all?

[edit] oops, I was replying to something pages and pages ago. My performance on this forum is rendering me quite the fool.

Edited by cacoe

Click the post number and it pops up a box with a link in. Copy and paste that where you need it. It's kind of neat but as everyone is used to right clickibg the post number and choosing copy link on every other forum it's hard to get used to. :P

yeah found that, but still doesn't seem reliable?

Anyway, what are the downsides of overclocking on this phone?

Obviously battery life, more heat, but does it cause instability at all?

672Mhz seems stable for everyone? those sliders in SetCPU scare me though.. would prefer up/down buttons or something more precise.

Guest IronDoc
672Mhz seems stable for everyone? those sliders in SetCPU scare me though.. would prefer up/down buttons or something more precise.

It wouldn't jump straight to the top unless you're already maxing the CPU or had performance on.

Guest targetbsp

The ONLY guaranteed stable speed for everyone is 600. :P Anyone wanting to overclock will have to test themselves precisely what their cpu can take.

Edited by targetbsp

i must be doing something wrong i've installed the ahb thing 3 times and checked the md5 and yet i still dont get around 420 mark on quadrant

for jap jelly, thats fine

stagefright, the thing that gives phones high quadrant scores is disabled in this rom

thats why you only get around 450

the sliders do not change the speed until you release them

Guest toytown
- no wifi/3g data sync/no notification whilst asleep (other than SMS/calls) e.g. no background email checks - hardware limitation of Blade?

I'm still using the original 2.1 rom but i definitely get background email checks, so its not a hardware limitation. I used to get them through the night, until i found an app to stop it.

anyone else having trouble with video playback?

i'm not exactly clear how video playback in android works but i believe (like windows etc.) apps can either use system libraries or their own?

videos that used to work ok in FinnishFillyjonk, don't seem to playable at all with JJ RLS9

if i use e.g. mvideoplayer nothing will play, just says unsupported and wants to open with something else.

rockplayer lite will play some things (usually slowly).

seeking also seems to be broken most of the time (Seekbar not working)

so it looks as though some libraries may be missing?

Edited by Smiff2

I'm still using the original 2.1 rom but i definitely get background email checks, so its not a hardware limitation. I used to get them through the night, until i found an app to stop it.

yah that's what i thought. so any way to make this work in JJ? i kind of needed 24/7 email notifications

Guest haxxbaxx

so that mean you cant get over like 500 odd without enabling stagefight? if so how u do that? Does lowering the clock speed too low have any sideeffects like too low that it crashes?

Guest cicciopuzzo

I noticed that the luminosity function does not work well: when it's dark the screen lights up when there is clear and the display will dim light ... It should be the other way?

Guest targetbsp
so that mean you cant get over like 500 odd without enabling stagefight? if so how u do that? Does lowering the clock speed too low have any sideeffects like too low that it crashes?

You should get into the 500's overclocking without stagefright. Enabling stagefright just gives you a false much higher score.

Guest dnaumov

No matter what I do, I cannot get MMS to work using this rom (RLS9).

At first, I suspected that the problem is with the APN settings for my operator (Elisa) that are shipped with the ROM and since you cannot edit in-built APN settings, I first tried creation an additional APN with the appropriate settings. When that didn't help, I got APN Backup & Restore from Market, deleted all my in-built APNs and started from scratch, entering all the appropriate settings. Still no dice, the internet APN works fine, but the Android messaging app is showing "Sending..." forever when trying to send an MMS message. From the operator point of view, no attempt to establish a connection is visible.

Here you can see the appropriate settings for Elisa when using Android: 1) http://www.elisa.fi/asiakastuki/1521.14/yl...amsung-android/ 2) http://wiki.androidsuomi.fi/Suomalaisten_o...n_APN_asetukset

One thing I am noting is that some settings guides seem to mention "MMS protocol: WAP 2.0", but there is no such option as "MMS protocol" when creating a new APN on a Blade running this ROM!

What should I do?

P.S: And obviously the MMS service is enabled in my subscription as it works fine when the SIM card is used in other phones.

Guest targetbsp
To answer my own question, it's a problem with Superuser app. I compiled my own version from the GIT hub and now it's working fine!

Your superuser app seemed to work better for me but still wasn't perfect. Inspired by the fact that I had no problems with Modaco R12 so clearly the app itself is not faulty I tried looking for a solution. In another rom thread someone suggested wiping the superuser apps data - again no luck. But after googling I saw a recommendation to wipe the dalvik cache and that has solved the problem for me.

Guest mahiram

I have come across another issue with the Japanese Jellyfish rls9 mod which lies within the messages application.

Basically when typing a text the letter registers which shows what letter you have touched however it isnt written in the text box so you have to play with the text box or to close messages and then open it up again then it starts working again. Its as if it has paused. Not sure if anyone else has encountered this issue.

I have come across another issue with the Japanese Jellyfish rls9 mod which lies within the messages application.

Basically when typing a text the letter registers which shows what letter you have touched however it isnt written in the text box so you have to play with the text box or to close messages and then open it up again then it starts working again. Its as if it has paused. Not sure if anyone else has encountered this issue.

need someone else to confirm. i've never seen that problem.

what happens if you change to another keyboard? (only 2 are included with JJ i think).

Guest mahiram

I havent tried the other keyboard yet however the T9 prediction feature is turned off. I use the HTC one and yeah there are two included. Although another one or few people do need to verify if its a rom issue.

Guest Rotmann

This also works on FLB Froyo/de-crossed 0.2 and de-softened 0.3.

- virtual provider name not shown e.g. GiffGaff not 02 (only cosmetic i think)

This was fixed for at the same time as I ran the below fix:

- *dialler causing cpu wakes, reducing battery runtime, can be fixed by flashing alternative framework-res.apk, fix post #3367 by whatcolor

Mine now has giffgaff as the operator which it never did before (previously Telefonica O2....)

This was fixed for at the same time as I ran the below fix:

- *dialler causing cpu wakes, reducing battery runtime, can be fixed by flashing alternative framework-res.apk, fix post #3367 by whatcolor

Mine now has giffgaff as the operator which it never did before (previously Telefonica O2....)

Wait until you load a theme that changes framework-res.apk and you'll be back with the same problem. We need the framework-res.apk fix incorporated in the changes made by the themes (if that's possible).

I was having problems with jerky scrolling, "connection could not be made" error messages & dodgy wifi reconnection. I just changed to the FLBr8a ROM & everything is running better now. It's available as a cut-down version which will work with TPT and it's still being updated.

I noticed that the luminosity function does not work well: when it's dark the screen lights up when there is clear and the display will dim light ... It should be the other way?

works correct way for me and I think most others, although the levels are annoying e.g. it brightens up with even 50 lux which is too bright, hurts eyes and wastes battery. there's another thread with a file where someone adjusted the levels..

List of known problems in RLS9 (as of 2011-02-13)

New Users - Would i recommend this ROM to new users now? (as of 2011-02-13)

No, unfortunately I personally would not. Although this was the most popular early 2.2 ROM and still works great for many people myself included, considering the issues here and that it's no longer being updated, but more importantly because there may soon be ROMs derived from Official UK 2.2 ROM, and the CyanogenMod port (2.3 derived) is making rapid progress and may be useable within 1-2 weeks.

I would recommend sticking with a de-orangated (debranded) 2.1 or something like Finnish Fillyjonk (which have few issues) - if you must have the speed of a 2.2 ROM now, perhaps try FLB.

FLB (good now!)

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-for-zte-blade/

CyanogenMod (seems to be the future!)

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...eta3-11-feb-11/

Thanks everyone sorry to end on a downer but there's not a lot more we can with this ROM i don't think. thanks KK still appreciate your work and my phone's been running different versions of your ROMs ever since i got it!

Better to put any spare energy you have into projects like CyanogenMod at this point I think.

^this was intended to everyone here, not KK sorry!

Confirmed JJ issues:

- *dialler causing cpu wakes, reducing battery runtime, can be fixed by flashing alternative framework-res.apk, fix post #3367 by whatcolor - but themes may re-break this!

- no wifi/3g data sync/no notification whilst asleep (other than SMS/calls) e.g. no background email checks when asleep - some say this is hardware limitation of Blade, but several users had this working in 2.1 !

- camera exposure control not working (does this work in other 2.2 ROMs?)

- "connection could not be made" errors when waking and when enabling mobile data e.g. when booting or power control 4th button. may be caused by incorrect APN: select correct APN, or remove APNdroid. some users say they cannot solve...

- *audio notifications only coming from headphones not speaker - some users report this? fix post by IronDoc #3724 of this thread. WARNING may be dangerous, read posts after that one before attempting!

- SIM import/export data problems: not able to copy contacts, SMS etc (some users?)

- *language problems - some languages in menu don't work when selected e.g. Portuguese, Finnish, others?

- virtual provider name not shown e.g. GiffGaff not 02 - should also be fixed by dialer fix, alternative framework-res.apk, fix post #3367 by whatcolor - but themes may re-break this!

- *no included way to copy paste from text files. if you have a long network key put a text editor (and your key) on your sd card before you flash https://github.com/paulmach/Text-Edit-for-Android/downloads

- *2 radio apps included, only one needed or works? (delete the other with e.g. Root Explorer if it bothers you. Not free? Try Root Uninstaller maybe)

- included file manager lacks SMB mounts? I recommend you install File Expert from market :P

Possible / unconfirmed JJ issues:

- GPS problems slow or unable to get fix for some users - regression? RLS7 OK for these users. try disabling AGPS (Assisted/WiFi GPS) a general fix you can try for any ROM:

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...l-roms-gps-fix/

- wifi some users report RLS7 was reliable but RLS9 doesn't always reconnect - need confirmation!

NOT JJ ROM issues (or general Froyo or Blade issues)

- wifi reconnection after sleep still unreliable for some users. depends on access point? blade wifi fix app (not included, search market) could still be used if affected?

- not sleeping properly - check your apps and settings. only power button should wake asleep Blade

- no headphone icon? caused by 0x90 mod apparently

- sd card mounting when connecting to computer

- sd card compatibility

- battery calibration problems

- proxo sensor calibration

- wifi sleep policy. press MENU on wifi settings screen for some Advanced options. apparently same options with all current 2.2 ROMs...

anyone has others please reply or edit if you can.

to be fair, after some initial problems i personally don't have any serious problems with this ROM now (All the above either never happened on my phone, don't affect me, or can be worked around). It's fast, stable and better than stock or Finnish Filly in every way for me :D So I probably won't be changing until something dramatically better comes along (not sure how!?) just making this list as a courtesy to others.

Thanks to KK, the author. I am just a user, not affiliated in any way.

Thanks to various posters here for tips which i've included.

Thanks to robinhud2010 for the thanks.

Issues marked with * are those which imho could probably be fixed relatively easily if there was another update (which AFAIK there won't be since KK is working on other things).

Edited by Smiff2

Guest lordofangels

My friend, who's not a member yet, has a problem with

the calendar, it's not showing the colour bars next to the date.

The calendar sync's, just no coresponding colours on the little bar. Any ideas?

I got him to try clearing all the data, reseting all sync, calendar etc...