Next Wednesday,We will get a perfect ROM.

Guest Weird Sun

Guest Simon O
:unsure: the ultimate rom could be hours away B)

With a kernel that won't be compatible with our phones so we'll be no better off :angry:

Just so people know for future reference it makes absolutely no difference having a newer ROM if we can't use the kernel as the kernel is where the most important fixe are. That's what we need to sort out the current issues once and for all.

Edited by flibblesan

With a kernel that won't be compatible with our phones so we'll be no better off B)

Just so people know for future reference it makes absolutely no difference having a newer ROM if we can't use the kernel as the kernel is where the most important fixe are. That's what we need to sort out the current issues once and for all.

I'm guessing the Android kernel is too complex to modify ourselves? What are the odds that this ROM will have a compatible kernel? Basically, are we destined for a life of phones with no LED backlit buttons? :unsure: Gonna be honest, the kernel we have now isn't TOO bad, Ive been using ROMs based on it for ages and never had any big problems.

Guest gusthy
I'm guessing the Android kernel is too complex to modify ourselves? What are the odds that this ROM will have a compatible kernel? Basically, are we destined for a life of phones with no LED backlit buttons? B) Gonna be honest, the kernel we have now isn't TOO bad, Ive been using ROMs based on it for ages and never had any big problems.

Yes, it is too complex without its source :unsure:

There are other issues, not just button backlights.

Guest jurrasstoil
I'm guessing the Android kernel is too complex to modify ourselves? What are the odds that this ROM will have a compatible kernel? Basically, are we destined for a life of phones with no LED backlit buttons? :unsure: Gonna be honest, the kernel we have now isn't TOO bad, Ive been using ROMs based on it for ages and never had any big problems.

well, we need the kernel source or a working(/non-beta) kernel.

my hopes aren't too high for this froyo release tho B)

well, we need the kernel source or a working(/non-beta) kernel.

my hopes aren't too high for this froyo release tho :unsure:

Aaah okay, fair enough. I suppose we're almost hitting a dead end with the current kernel then. As I said, it seems reasonably stable at the moment, but there doesnt seem to be much more we can do around the kernel really :/

Has anyone tried emailing ZTE to ask when the source might be available?

ZTE

"I get information from our developers. The Froyo source code can not be released before Jan 1 2011 as a new year gift but it will be published before Jan 7 2011 as a lated new year gift. "

Guest mikhd002
there's still a chance it will be a rom with a compatible kernel, we'll know maybe in just hours....it's like christmas all over again

lol, but yea if we can get an official, properly working 2.2 froyo that would be absolutely awesome, though I'm currently running a customised froyo with a gingerbread keyboard on it, which is awesome

Guest tom619

alright im now extremely confused as to when we can expect a perfectly stable 2.2 and kernel? i thought the pending chinese blade was going to solve all our problems?

alright im now extremely confused as to when we can expect a perfectly stable 2.2 and kernel? i thought the pending chinese blade was going to solve all our problems?

If i'm not mistaken the chinese rom will be the first official and stable rom.

I hope it solves most of our issues, e.g. the HUGE battery consumption.

The chinese (and Softbank) blade will give us production 2.2, however the compiled kernel for the softbank doesn't work with our sanfranciscos. There is a chance the chinese kernel will work, but also a chance it won't, we won't know until we get hold of it. When we get the kernel source we should be able to fix whatever prevents it from working (assuming ZTE manage to release working source this time).

Guest punkmilitia
The chinese (and Softbank) blade will give us production 2.2, however the compiled kernel for the softbank doesn't work with our sanfranciscos. There is a chance the chinese kernel will work, but also a chance it won't, we won't know until we get hold of it. When we get the kernel source we should be able to fix whatever prevents it from working (assuming ZTE manage to release working source this time).

Well, got my fingers crossed :3

Guest oh!dougal

Important point is that a ZTE official release of a 2.2 product should 'promptly' trigger the release of the 2.2 kernel source code - the human-readable (and editable) version of the program that is running all the time (even when "nothing is running"... )

THAT should provide some interesting ammunition for the kernel-devs.

However, it is perfectly possible that the source might not actually compile properly, requiring a cycle or two of prodding ZTE for the correct version(s). And thus requiring a bit more patience from the clamouring hordes!

AND ZTE don't provide source for the stuff that they have written (entirely) in-house. Examples might include the touch driver or the wifi driver. Which is where the nice collection of software modules in the Chinese and Japanese roms might come in handy...

Now, are there really ANY fundamental hardware differences between our Blades and the V880 (& 003z)?

ZTE have arranged the loading into memory very slightly differently on the 003z.

My question is - WHY?

What would be the advantage (or necessity) of doing this?

Is there any indication that they have changed the hardware addressing?

Or could it be just a bit of awkwardness to keep the 2.1 and 2.2 product families distinct?

What strikes me as rather odd is that the leaked prototypes didn't have the different loading ...

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest monkeyfeatures
My question is - WHY?

What would be the advantage (or necessity) of doing this?

Is there any indication that they have changed the hardware addressing?

Or could it be just a bit of awkwardness to keep the 2.1 and 2.2 product families distinct?

What strikes me as rather odd is that the leaked prototypes didn't have the different loading ...

Could simply be a case of slowing *us* down hehe.

If they've Googled "ZTE Blade" at all then they know about this forum and the work people have been doing. Maybe they just want to ensure their big corporate customers get the shiny 2.2 headlines first and their release isn't overshadowed by better ROMs already being widely available before they launch :unsure:

I have faith that they'll release the source code fairly soon, they have done with the previous versions.

Guest Meizirkki

All I want it a kernel that won't freeze my screen (All froyo roms I have tested have this problem...)

My Blade's camera it 5mp but f*ck it, working screen is much more important :unsure: