Partition layout change

Guest rjm2k

Guest Krinyo
Finally got round to this and it worked fine, I used the original hungarian update with Toms resize image over the top, I had done a clockwork backup before so I copied the system.img, boot.img, recovery.img and userdata.img over the image directory too, this way when I installed the flash everything was up and running alread with no need to restore anything.

Good to know this works. I'll make a "one-click" backup from my system. :unsure:

Guest Arr Too
heres the partition.mbn partition_zte.mbn from the zte racer

Is there a complete update.zip that works in the same way on the ZTE Racer? That's only got 256MB, hasn't it? So there's a possibility it might give some clues as to where the RAM layout is specified.

ps just in case this hasn't been spotted already it seems that oemsbl.mbn is the flasher, it contains the text "update from t-flashcard!" which is what's displayed when you run the update.

Thats good to know. I hadn't tried to find what did the flashing yet (other than appsboot.mbn clearly doing the fastboot flashing).

I have an idea how to dump the modem partitions off a device, but it will need a modified appsboot.mbn. I'm not sure its a good idea. It should mean the entire nand can be dumped, and then the correct offset for all partitions can be found and fixed in appsboot.mbn, but if there are any other changes to appsboot.mbn on other devices it could break things.

Guest rickywyatt
This looks interesting. If anyone can get hold of these document I would like to look at them (they want money).

tom g could you have a look at the zte racer partition up above this

This looks interesting. If anyone can get hold of these document I would like to look at them (they want money).

I think they want money or for you to upload something, anything, like the user manual for your laptop etc?

Guest samjam

How much money? How useful might they be?

I see $35 - I'll pay $10 paypal to someone, if others will also contribute.

Edited by samjam

tom g could you have a look at the zte racer partition up above this

And what do you want me to tell you about it. Those files alone are useless. You need the appsboot.mbn if you want to play with partitions. It does appear to be in the same format as the blade files. I would not recommend using the blade appsboot.mbn on the racer, you might end up with a brick. If you don't have a full update for the racer you probably can't do much.

I think they want money or for you to upload something, anything, like the user manual for your laptop etc?

I think they check the uploads so you can't just give them garbage. I signed up, it takes 5 uploads to activate an account (or $35USD). They want code examples or other programming materials.

The documents will not directly relate to the hardware we have so may not be hugely useful, but they would hopefully help with understand the platform a bit better. It looks like they are for an old windows based EV-DO platform (the documents rjm2k posted are from the same set).

Guest rickywyatt
And what do you want me to tell you about it. Those files alone are useless. You need the appsboot.mbn if you want to play with partitions. It does appear to be in the same format as the blade files. I would not recommend using the blade appsboot.mbn on the racer, you might end up with a brick. If you don't have a full update for the racer you probably can't do much.

I think they check the uploads so you can't just give them garbage. I signed up, it takes 5 uploads to activate an account (or $35USD). They want code examples or other programming materials.

The documents will not directly relate to the hardware we have so may not be hugely useful, but they would hopefully help with understand the platform a bit better. It looks like they are for an old windows based EV-DO platform (the documents rjm2k posted are from the same set).

what i whated to no is could we have a parition table like the zte racer?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oh!dougal

What is the best approach for cache? I know users have had problems with it filling up, but I thought most roms use /data for cache to avoid that problem. So is it better for increase cache, or reduce it to 5-10MB and move the additional space into userdata?

In Android System Info, from the System tab under 'Memory', it mentions "Download Cache" (at 41.23MB) before Data ("Max 288MB" for my repartitioned 128mb system phone.)

Hence, I've been wondering (as one might) if /cache is actually used for somehow caching downloads ...

This would seem to be confirmed by a couple of posts (on the thread about Seb's latest Chinese-based rom) relating to the difficulty of installing (games ;) ) apk's that are bigger than about 20mb ...

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1564830

... I'd speculate that it might only be being used for apk installation - like downloads from Market (ie not used for ordinary Browser downloads).

If this is the case, then

1/ you don't want to be making it small compared to your maximum apk install size

so I don't think its worth the pain to try and re-partition with a resized /cache

and

2/ maybe a user-side (rather than recovery-side) facility to clear /cache might be useful for people about to do a big download from Market

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest fonix232
In Android System Info, from the System tab under 'Memory', it mentions "Download Cache" (at 41.23MB) before Data ("Max 288MB" for my repartitioned 128mb system phone.)

Hence, I've been wondering (as one might) if /cache is actually used for somehow caching downloads ...

This would seem to be confirmed by a couple of posts (on the thread about Seb's latest Chinese-based rom) relating to the difficulty of installing (games ;) ) apk's that are bigger than about 20mb ...

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1564830

... I'd speculate that it might only be being used for apk installation - like downloads from Market (ie not used for ordinary Browser downloads).

If this is the case, then

1/ you don't want to be making it small compared to your maximum apk install size

so I don't think its worth the pain to try and re-partition with a resized /cache

and

2/ maybe a user-side (rather than recovery-side) facility to clear /cache might be useful for people about to do a big download from Market

Nope, actual apk's are stored in /data/tmp/ when installing (adb) or directly copied to data (market). Download goes to the SD card itself (failed downloads from market appears as /sdcard/downloads/download-[N].tmp where [N] is a number) then installed and deleted. Cache is usually used for OTA updates (HTC legacy: all OTA are downloaded to cache then phone reboots to recovery, and installs update, then restarts).

Guest oh!dougal
Nope, actual apk's are stored in /data/tmp/ when installing (adb) or directly copied to data (market). Download goes to the SD card itself (failed downloads from market appears as /sdcard/downloads/download-[N].tmp where [N] is a number) then installed and deleted. Cache is usually used for OTA updates (HTC legacy: all OTA are downloaded to cache then phone reboots to recovery, and installs update, then restarts).

But why does the free space in the ("42mb") 'download cache' as viewed from Android System Info change after each download I have made from Market?

Perhaps, for reasons best known to ZTE, apk's are moved through /cache?

And the change was without doing other activity on the phone. Naturally, I haven't been doing OTA upgrades - ZTE are not HTC! ;)

Also note

I installed raging thunder 2 from the chinese rom (22mb) without any problem, then I noticed that the apk is left in the cache directory after install.

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest IronDoc
But why does the free space in the ("42mb") 'download cache' as viewed from Android System Info change after each download I have made from Market?

And the change was without doing other activity on the phone. Naturally, I haven't been doing OTA upgrades - ZTE are not HTC! ;)

Also note

If it is as you suspect, then surely the best way is for ROMs to mount (or symlink, not quite sure how the partition stuff works) inside /data. Then your max download size is the amount of free space (which would be 40MB > currently) and you don't have to keep that space if you don't want to.

Edited by IronDoc

Guest oh!dougal
If it is as you suspect, then surely the best way is for ROMs to mount (or symlink, not quite sure how the partition stuff works) inside /data. Then your max download size is the amount of free space (which would be 40MB > currently) and you don't have to keep that space if you don't want to.

Yes, directing space elsewhere to appear as /cache would seem to be essential IF anyone wants to try and reduce the size of the 'real' /cache partition. Just chopping down its partition size (with no other tweak) looks like it might cause dissatisfaction.

Also note

I installed that raging thunder from the sdcard, i think i used the zte filer app to install it. There was another smaller apk in the /cache directory too, that may have come from the market. The apks were renamed, I forget what to, I deleted them. Have a look yourself with rootexplorer. There was nothing else in my cache directory, just 2 apks & 2 empty folders, one was obviously raging thunder because of the size.

I think at least some apps must get moved through the cache directory when they're installed & they don't always get deleted after.

I also still think removing the cache partition & symlinking it to /data/cache might be a good idea, if anyone else wants to try it.

Guest Sebastian404

Consider that the 'recommended' method for doing OTA updates is that put the update zip in to Cache and the reboot into recovery... /CACHE is where it looks for that update.zip...

Consider that any stock update is going to be around 100mb at least...

Consider that ZTE allocated ~42Mb for /cache..

Consider that someone somewhere is an idiot...

Guest Arr Too
Consider that the 'recommended' method for doing OTA updates is that put the update zip in to Cache and the reboot into recovery...

But does that recommended method mandate replacing the whole system, rather than just replacing updated components?

Guest isambard
Consider that the 'recommended' method for doing OTA updates is that put the update zip in to Cache and the reboot into recovery... /CACHE is where it looks for that update.zip...

i assume they planned not to push OTA updates.

kinda good for us since we ended up with the tools to do TPT...

Guest oh!dougal

Seb - its a good job that they didn't give us a 128mb /cache partition to permanently occupy 1/4 of the phone's storage!

That "recommended" method is not terribly clever.

Seb - its a good job that they didn't give us a 128mb /cache partition to permanently occupy 1/4 of the phone's storage!

That "recommended" method is not terribly clever.

Do ANY android phones have such a large cache?

Guest IronDoc
could we not find a way to use the Cache partiton for something useful

perhaps another recovery?

*waits for laughter*

*obliges*

In seriousness, another recovery would be of little use and I don't think it's even possible since we only have 3 key combos that do stuff. Power, power + vol up and power + vol down.

I think I might attempt to shrink the /cache partition to 1 sector, symlink it to userdata & increase the userdata partition by ~42mb this weekend, if nobody beats me to it.