Guest isambard

Guest isambard

volcano 0.3

url removed pending further testing.

changes:

- added Google Talk back

- removed additional apps

- stagefright off by default

- added files for tethering (USB should work, but not tested. the wifi tethering menu is there, but i didn't have time to make all changes needed to make this work yet, this will be for the next version)

notes:

i added a minimal cache file, so now it should no longer be necessary to wipe cache before installing. however, if for some reason your phone is very different and the first boot fails, you can try wiping the cache before attempting the first boot again.

system is now squeezed down to 117mb, but i left the system partition at 128mb to give more 'headroom'.

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 208.3M 12.0K 208.3M 0% /dev
/dev/block/mtdblock5 128.0M 117.1M 10.9M 91% /system
/dev/block/mtdblock6 287.6M 31.9M 255.7M 11% /data[/codebox]

The following apps are now in system by default (in order from largest to smallest):

com.android.launcher.apk

com.android.settings.apk

com.google.android.voicesearch.apk

com.android.phone.apk

com.android.vending.apk

zte.com.cn.filer.apk

com.android.contacts.apk

com.google.android.gsf.apk

com.android.mms.apk

com.google.android.talk.apk

com.android.inputmethod.latin.apk

com.android.browser.apk

com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.apk

com.android.music.apk

com.cooliris.media.apk

com.android.setupwizard.apk

com.android.camera.apk

com.irdeto.providers.download.apk

com.android.calendar.apk

com.android.providers.calendar.apk

com.google.android.apps.uploader.apk

com.zte.smartdialer.apk

com.google.android.street.apk

com.google.android.apps.mymaps.apk

com.android.bluetooth.apk

com.noshufou.android.su.apk

com.android.providers.subscribedfeeds.apk

com.android.providers.contacts.apk

com.google.android.latinimetutorial.apk

com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts.apk

com.qualcomm.wiper.apk

com.android.soundrecorder.apk

com.android.protips.apk

com.zte.emode.apk

com.google.android.syncadapters.calendar.apk

com.android.providers.telephony.apk

com.google.android.location.apk

com.google.android.feedback.apk

com.android.packageinstaller.apk

com.android.providers.downloads.apk

com.android.certinstaller.apk

com.android.stk.apk

com.android.providers.media.apk

com.android.providers.settings.apk

com.google.android.backup.apk

android.tts.apk

com.irdeto.providers.drm.apk

com.android.fcctest.apk

com.android.server.vpn.apk

com.android.qualcomm.apk

com.zte.tool.apk

com.android.providers.drm.apk

com.android.providers.applications.apk

com.svox.pico.apk

com.android.htmlviewer.apk

com.android.defcontainer.apk

com.android.qcnvtest.apk

com.android.providers.userdictionary.apk

com.android.zte.ChiperTest.apk

com.google.android.partnersetup.apk

com.android.vending.updater.apk

com.qualcomm.permission.locapi.apk

so, which ones should be up for the chop? (i have no idea how the zte filer survived! :unsure: )

my plan is to squeeze this down to the bare minimum and then reduce the system partition accordingly.

i'm not sure if it is possible to remove launcher and replace with launcher pro, but that might be one change i would also consider.

Edited by isambard

Guest Rotmann

I think you could replace the stock android launcher with adw or launcherpro if you get a few MBs economy, i'm not sure if it is OK though because as I understood this ROM should be clean and not too modified. I would add back GenieWidget (news & weather widget) because you don't get it in the market and remove street, maps (both in market) and fcctest (not needed).

Does this ROM have the two files libOmxAacDec.so and libOmxMp3Dec removed for avoiding problems with some mp3 and aac files? Also is the two finger rotation in google maps fixed? Inside /system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.xml you have to add/modify feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.distinct

May I ask why you disabled stagefright?

Edited by Rotmann

Guest isambard
I think you could replace the stock android launcher with adw or launcherpro if you get a few MBs economy, i'm not sure if it is OK though because as I understood this ROM should be clean and not too modified. I would add back GenieWidget (news & weather widget) because you don't get it in the market and remove street, maps (both in market) and fcctest (not needed).

Does this ROM have the two files libOmxAacDec.so and libOmxMp3Dec removed for avoiding problems with some mp3 and aac files? Also is the two finger rotation in google maps fixed? Inside /system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.xml you have to add/modify feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch.distinct

May I ask why you disabled stagefright?

the removed apks can still be installed via sdcard or adb.

on the stagefright etc. i noticed i packaged the disable version in release and was too lazy to re-package it! :unsure: but i plan to write an app to allow the user to manually enable/disable these options anyway - and for now, it is also easy to manually change by the user. the 2 libs are still in there. are there any side effects from removal? i was concerned that the lib might be required for DRM'd music or might make use of hw for decode and that removing may lead to unplayable music and/or increased battery use.

i'm expecting mainly the more technically minded (or those who want to have better control over application choice etc.) on their phone to be the users of my ROM as i don't think it has so much mainstream appeal right now.

Guest cecanor
OK. This is what I use on my own Blade and I thought I'd make it available to others if they are interested.

It is basically a re-package of Sebastian's 0.2 ROM and pulling in some fixes from Paul's ROM and enabling HW acceleration.

Features:

volcano 0.3

http://www.multiupload.com/ALO4B5X53G

- added Google Talk back

- removed additional apps

- stagefright off by default

- added files for tethering (USB should work, but not tested. the wifi tethering menu is there, but i didn't have time to make all changes needed to make this work yet, this will be for the next version)

- updated Phone.apk for MDCFan's changes. should solve the network unlock, but i still recommend to unlock before flashing.

notes:

i added a minimal cache file, so now it should no longer be necessary to wipe cache before installing. however, if for some reason your phone is very different and the first boot fails, you can try wiping the cache before attempting the first boot again.

system is now squeezed down to 117mb, but i left the system partition at 128mb to give more 'headroom'.

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 208.3M 12.0K 208.3M 0% /dev
/dev/block/mtdblock5 128.0M 117.1M 10.9M 91% /system
/dev/block/mtdblock6 287.6M 31.9M 255.7M 11% /data[/codebox]

The following apps are now in system by default (in order from largest to smallest):

<SNIP> for rest of details on this release, see here:

http://android.modaco.com/content-page/328...-tft/page/100/#

[i]version 0.2[/i]

- Repartition to increase data space from 207mb to 287mb

[i]version 0.1[/i]

- Froyo 2.2

- Hardware acceleration on

- VM heap size set to 32m

- 900+ quadrant score 'out of the box'

[b]Installation instructions:[/b]

0. Make a backup of your existing phone.

1. Unpack the zip file into a folder called 'image' on your sdcard.

2. Turn off the phone

3. Hold down the volume up key and at the same time press the power button

4. When the updating process starts, you can release the keys

5. The phone will reboot automatically when the update is complete

6. Rename the /image folder on your sdcard. The reason for this is that the TPT install does not ask before flashing, so if you leave the files on there and accidentally press power and volume up at the same time, it will re-flash your phone again!

[b]Bugs/features:[/b]

- YOU MUST NETWORK UNLOCK YOUR PHONE BEFORE INSTALLING

- This will overwrite your recovery partition with Clockwork Mod (seb's version). If you don't want it, then delete the 'recovery.img' from the image folder.

- I've removed a lot of apps even from Sebastian's quite clean ROM, if you want them, you'll have to re-install. Most notably, gmail and email apps are gone.

http://rapidshare.com/files/440403234/volcano2.zip

This is what the update looks like when you run it:

Thanks to Seb, Paul Tom G, MDCFan and others who provided the base for this ROM and others who helped me learn enough about Android to put this together.

I tried what you said but unfortunately I can just see Android logo for 10 minutes and I'm still waiting. I was looking for such an easy way but it didn't work on my OLED Orange UK one. I'm sorry :unsure:

Guest isambard
I tried what you said but unfortunately I can just see Android logo for 10 minutes and I'm still waiting. I was looking for such an easy way but it didn't work on my OLED Orange UK one. I'm sorry :unsure:

do you mean the install ran and it isn't booting, or that the install didn't run? the install should run immediately and if it doesn't, it means there's something wrong e.g the files may not be in the right directory etc.

if you mean after the install is done, the first boot can take a bit longer, but not more than 10 mins. if stuck on green man, try to clear cache and reboot.

Edited by isambard

Guest Rotmann
the removed apks can still be installed via sdcard or adb.

on the stagefright etc. i noticed i packaged the disable version in release and was too lazy to re-package it! :unsure: but i plan to write an app to allow the user to manually enable/disable these options anyway - and for now, it is also easy to manually change by the user. the 2 libs are still in there. are there any side effects from removal? i was concerned that the lib might be required for DRM'd music or might make use of hw for decode and that removing may lead to unplayable music and/or increased battery use.

i'm expecting mainly the more technically minded (or those who want to have better control over application choice etc.) on their phone to be the users of my ROM as i don't think it has so much mainstream appeal right now.

I don't think there is need to write an app to allow the user the enable/disable stagefright because it's so easy to do. I just asked why you did it, i thought you have found out something. In Paul's, Flibblesan's, Kallt_Kaffe's and Seb's Froyos, some users had problems with sound in some games / apps and some music did not play. The fix by deleting the two libs was found by Flibblesan and it worked B) No side effects were noticed. It's standard now in the Japanese Jellyfish as I see.

Edited by Rotmann

Guest cecanor
do you mean the install ran and it isn't booting, or that the install didn't run? the install should run immediately and if it doesn't, it means there's something wrong e.g the files may not be in the right directory etc.

if you mean after the install is done, the first boot can take a bit longer, but not more than 10 mins. if stuck on green man, try to clear cache and reboot.

I tried it again without charger and it worked. After the same progress I saw on youtube, it said "Update Success" and I waited for first boot about 15 minutes. Because it was more then 10 as you say I pushed back button twice and it did same progress again, "Update Success" and still waiting for first boot looking an Android logo which appears and disappears continually. I hope my phone will be alive again. I'm afraid! Do you have any advise?

Edited by cecanor

Guest cecanor
I tried it again without charger and it worked. After the same progress I saw on youtube, it said "Update Success" and I waited for first boot about 15 minutes. Because it was more then 10 as you say I pushed back button twice and it did same progress again, "Update Success" and still waiting for first boot looking an Android logo which appears and disappears continually. I hope my phone will be alive again. I'm afraid! Do you have any advise?

10 minutes waiting time more and nothing happened! I did a factory reset before trying. And SD card was newly formatted. If clearing cache is something different please tell me. I don't want my 100 pounds to be lost. :unsure: I'm still waiting for 11th minute.

so, which ones should be up for the chop? (i have no idea how the zte filer survived! :unsure: )

my plan is to squeeze this down to the bare minimum and then reduce the system partition accordingly.

i'm not sure if it is possible to remove launcher and replace with launcher pro, but that might be one change i would also consider.

com.google.android.voicesearch.apk

com.google.android.street.apk

com.google.android.apps.mymaps.apk

not sure about that last one, but the first 2 can go, voice search & street view, you can get those from the market.

Edited by wbaw

10 minutes waiting time more and nothing happened! I did a factory reset before trying. And SD card was newly formatted. If clearing cache is something different please tell me. I don't want my 100 pounds to be lost. :unsure: I'm still waiting for 11th minute.

Turn it off, then hold the volume down key & turn it on. That should take you into clockworkmod. There is an option in clockworkmod to remove user data, try that. If that doesn't work, you could use clockworkmod to flash a different rom (make sure it's a small one that fits in 128mb), or you could try the hungarian 256mb -> 512mb fix, that should reset everything & make it like a brand new hungarian phone.

Guest jt_mcg

Clearing Cache is something different, Stop the booting process you're in now by taking out the battery.

You then have possibly two options:

1. boot into clockwork if it's available by holding volume down and power. There is then a menu two wipe data and wipe cache. After that you can try the full install process again or try to boot the phone noymally.

2. if that doesn't work you will most likely need to do a similar process as you have just done but installing the Hungarian 256 to 512MB RAM update. After that you should follow Steven Harper's guide here to install clockwork mod using fastboot and then select possibly a different ROM to install the normal way like the ROM this is based on here

This should most certainly get you out of whatever has happened but make sure you read the process involved carefully and ask for more help if you need it at this stage.

Guest cecanor
Turn it off, then hold the volume down key & turn it on. That should take you into clockworkmod. There is an option in clockworkmod to remove user data, try that. If that doesn't work, you could use clockworkmod to flash a different rom (make sure it's a small one that fits in 128mb), or you could try the hungarian 256mb -> 512mb fix, that should reset everything & make it like a brand new hungarian phone.

Thanks for reply. I tried to hold the volume down key & turn it on and the green Android man appears and disappears again. I couldn't understand how to do thing with my Mac, so tried this easy way. It was a mistake I see. Now I don't know how to use Clockworkmod. !?!

Thanks for reply. I tried to hold the volume down key & turn it on and the green Android man appears and disappears again. I couldn't understand how to do thing with my Mac, so tried this easy way. It was a mistake I see. Now I don't know how to use Clockworkmod. !?!

Did you get the clockworkmod menu come up after turning it on with the volume down key held? You use the volume up & down to go through the options, the home key to select one & the back key to go back to the last menu.

Guest cecanor
Did you get the clockworkmod menu come up after turning it on with the volume down key held? You use the volume up & down to go through the options, the home key to select one & the back key to go back to the last menu.

When I tried to turn on with the volume down key held, I've just seen the Android man appearing and disappearing again.

Guest jt_mcg

Do you have an adapter to connect your sd card to your computer, even another phone will do?

Have you downloaded fastboot?

edit to ask about other phone to mount sd

Edited by jt_mcg

Guest cecanor
Do you have an adapter to connect your sd card to your computer?

Have you downloaded fastboot?

I have an adapter to connect my sd. I've just downloaded fastboot with the link you gave. So, what can I do with them?

Guest jt_mcg

Do you know how to extract and use fastboot, and or the command line on your mac?

Do you want to try a quick way first that may not work, or do you want to go the longer way?

Either way the first thing you need to do is remove the contents from the /image folder on your sd card.

Edited by jt_mcg

Guest cecanor
Do you know how to extract and use fastboot, and or the command line on your mac?

Do you want to try a quick way first that may not work, or do you want to go the longer way?

Either way the first thing you need to do is remove the contents from the /image folder on your sd card.

I prefer quick way but if doesn't work I can try the other ways. I read the tutorials but didn't understand how to use terminal working on my phone as I see in the youtube video in the first screen. Ok, after removed the contents in /image, what should I do?

Guest jt_mcg

The first thing you need to do is unzip fastboot at the root of your mac preferably, and then we need to flash clockwork.

download it from here if you don't have it yet.

We should probably move to a more on topic thread too like Steven Harper's Guide

Edit: If you're still here we have another easier way to get you out of this I remembered reading about an image of this kallt kaffe made that you can download here and mentioned here #108

it has clockwork in both boot and recovery partitions so when you boot you boot strait into clockwork select the rom and reboot simples!! no command line if that's what is your sticking point!

NO ONE ELSE DO WHAT IM SAYING NOW UNTIL ITS FULLY SUPPORTED

Edited by jt_mcg

Guest cecanor
The first thing you need to do is unzip fastboot at the root of your mac preferably, and then we need to flash clockwork.

download it from here if you don't have it yet.

We should probably move to a more on topic thread too like Steven Harper's Guide

Edit: If you're still here we have another easier way to get you out of this I remembered reading about an image of this kallt kaffe made that you can download here and mentioned here #108

it has clockwork in both boot and recovery partitions so when you boot you boot strait into clockwork select the rom and reboot simples!! no command line if that's what is your sticking point!

So I'll put this image in the image folder in SD as I did on Volcano and do same thing again? I'm talking about your edit.

Guest jt_mcg

I need to go to bed shortly so heres the instructions for what to do next.. Either follow Stephen Harper"s guide if you can use the command line/terminal

or unzip Kallt Kaffe's image in the /image folder on your sd. In the root of your sd put this JJ RLS4 lite.zip. Remove the battery of your phone, put in the sd card and replace the battery/cover etc

Then boot your phone holding power volume up menu and wait for it to do what you've previously seen. When the phone boots into clockwork select wipe data cache ect then select install from zip. choose the jjrls4lite.zip selct yes wait for clockwork to finish installing and then select reboot.

it should then boot you into your phone properly, but could take some time for the first boot (usually less than ten minutes)

good luck!

Guest jt_mcg
So I'll put this image in the image folder in SD as I did on Volcano and do same thing again? I'm talking about your edit.

Yes, unzip image_128 to /image and also place the JJrls4lite rom at the root of your sd, not in the image folder.

Edit: any progress? and sorry for the thread hijack isambard

!

Edited by jt_mcg

Guest cecanor
Yes, unzip image_128 to /image and also place the JJrls4lite rom at the root of your sd, not in the image folder.

Edit: any progress? and sorry for the thread hijack ishambard!

Thank you very much. My phone started working now. I didn't use all the functions of phone yet but at least you saved me having nightmares about my phone. Thank you very much. By the way, can I install all the ROMs using this way you shared me? Good night....

Guest jt_mcg
Thank you very much. My phone started working now. I didn't use all the functions of phone yet but at least you saved me having nightmares about my phone. Thank you very much. By the way, can I install all the ROMs using this way you shared me? Good night....

Not yet, I wouldn't install any other ROMS this way, You have clockwork now, but your partitions from the image file may be too small for some roms. Kallt Kaffe has another file in the thread I linked that will make larger partition sizes to fit other roms.

You can probably use that or the Hungarian method to resize your partitions once you learn how to use cmd/terminal fastboot.

Rename or delete /image on your sd card now or you could accidently do this again!!

Goodnight and I'm glad it worked!

Guest jufeng

:unsure: I'm so sad that I meet the same problem . My phone is OLED Orange UK phone.

After the install is done, the first boot failed.an I can only see the green Android logo which appears and disappears continually.I am sure I did have wiped data and catche .Then I took out the battery , hold the volume down key & turn it on.I could still only see the green Android logo which appears and disappears continually.Then I tride hold only power key ,however ,still the green Android logo which appears and disappears continually. Then I did the process again . however,after it said "Update Success",there's only a green Android logo which appears and disappears continually. It seems that whatever I do there's only a green Android logo which appears and disappears continually.And the worest thing is I could'n get into fastboot. I had installed the clockwork mod using fastboot before,but now ,I couldn't get into it(I have tried get the SDcard out ,but still cannot get into fastboot). I am so afraid that my phone can't work anymore.

Please help me! B)