[GUIDE] Android Glossary - Ideal for New Users

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest friederike

Nice work that man.

In WIPE / FACTORY RESET is it worth pointing out when these two should be wiped?

You bring up USERDAT partition and the CACHE partition in there aswell - is it worth expanding on these (in the partition section maybe?). Or maybe have a new dalvik cache section? (USERDAT is pretty straight forward but CACHE isn't IMHO)

Guest StevenHarperUK
Nice work that man.

In WIPE / FACTORY RESET is it worth pointing out when these two should be wiped?

You bring up USERDAT partition and the CACHE partition in there aswell - is it worth expanding on these (in the partition section maybe?). Or maybe have a new dalvik cache section? (USERDAT is pretty straight forward but CACHE isn't IMHO)

ADDED/UPDATED

BOOT

CLOCKWORK

NANDROID

RECOVERY

SYSTEM

TPT

USERDATA

WIPE / FACTORY RESET

I have a question - I assume that the Cache partition is just a scrap place for programs to store data - is this right?

Guest Simon O
Guest StevenHarperUK
They would be out of place in this as it's a glossary.

Yeh I meant to reply with something similar - Flibblesan while your here is my definition of CACHE good enough?

Guest Arr Too
I have a question - I assume that the Cache partition is just a scrap place for programs to store data - is this right?

Yeah, it's used by the Browser and temporary storage for downloads and stuff. I don't think anything vital should ever be found there, except for maybe logs in case of problems (ClockworkMod?).

Guest StevenHarperUK
Yeah, it's used by the Browser and temporary storage for downloads and stuff. I don't think anything vital should ever be found there, except for maybe logs in case of problems (ClockworkMod?).

Ta - updated

Guest steff.jay

perhaps you also could create a thread (or add it to the other one) with all known fixes and workarounds, like volume-fix, vm-heap increase, etc? :unsure:

anyway... thank you so much for your very well done overviews so far!!

Guest uptime
Any suggestions or links that anyone can add?

Maybe you could explain the "Galvik cache".

EDIT: I assume this is eplained under "cache", so nevermind.

PS: Great work so far.

Edited by uptime

Guest Arr Too
Maybe you could explain the "Galvik cache".

The Dalvik cache is basically the main code (classes.dex) extracted from the APK zip file of each app so it runs more quickly/easily. It's located at /data/dalvik-cache. Clearing this should be safe since the system will recreate it on demand.

Guest StevenHarperUK
The Dalvik cache is basically the main code (classes.dex) extracted from the APK zip file of each app so it runs more quickly/easily. It's located at /data/dalvik-cache. Clearing this should be safe since the system will recreate it on demand.

Thanks - Added.

Mores suggestions / corrections welcome

Guest admanirv

I see JIT mentioned quite a bit, maybe that's because I'm a software engineer and it stick out, but its maybe worthwhile mentioning it along with Dalvik. Maybe not worthwhile going into detail about a compiler though :unsure:.

I should probably help the community more since i wrote programs in j2me, this was 6 years ago though B)

Edited by admanirv

Guest Arr Too
Another term that I am confused about is RIL (I see it mentioned a lot), but that may just be me.

RIL is Radio Interface Layer and is the bit where the generic OS (like Android) meets the lower-level software for the specific telephone parts of the phone (and the vendor-specific, low-level software is referred to as the Baseband [Layer]).

Guest vareBlade

What im sure most people wont get in your glossary is VM. You 'keep' talking about it while not explaining what VM means.

The VM is the JAVA VM that the android system is running in.

I mean you are saying "VM is the Java VM" ya alright but what is Java VM then?

Maybe changing it in Java Virtual Machine would be helpful. And those interested can then google what java virtual machine is

And maybe in the kernel you could add some info from this image:

http://developer.android.com/images/system-architecture.jpg

Edited by vareBlade

Guest Ralph Martin

Stephen:

The main partitions are : BOOT, RECOVERY, SYSTEM, USERDATA, CACHE

How about adding a couple of sentences saying what is stored on each partition and how it is used?

Guest Ralph Martin

And another term that could be defined, with a stab at doing so:

AOSP

Android Open Source Project. Some times used on the forum to refer to a generic version of the Android system, before phone manufacturers / carriers / others have made modifications and provided alternative / extra software.

Guest StevenHarperUK
And another term that could be defined, with a stab at doing so:

AOSP

Android Open Source Project. Some times used on the forum to refer to a generic version of the Android system, before phone manufacturers / carriers / others have made modifications and provided alternative / extra software.

Ta - that's a good one

Also added A2SD and added more info on APP2SD