[GUIDE] Android Glossary - Ideal for New Users

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest oh!dougal

Suggested Additions

Alpha - highly experimental, not for the inexperienced, certainly not advised for daily use. Significant functions are probably not yet working.

Beta - beyond a prototype, but still with the likelihood of significant bugs and quirks. For people willing to act as "beta-testers" and help discover, identify and isolate those bugs, so that they can be fixed. Beta-testers are constructive critics. They certainly shouldn't expect absolutely everything to work properly.

Accurate problem descriptions are helpful, but complaints would just demonstrate that you don't understand your role as a Beta-tester.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Suggested Additions

Alpha - highly experimental, not for the inexperienced, certainly not advised for daily use. Significant functions are probably not yet working.

Beta - beyond a prototype, but still with the likelihood of significant bugs and quirks. For people willing to act as "beta-testers" and help discover, identify and isolate those bugs, so that they can be fixed. Beta-testers are constructive critics. They certainly shouldn't expect absolutely everything to work properly.

Accurate problem descriptions are helpful, but complaints would just demonstrate that you don't understand your role as a Beta-tester.

Ta DONE

Guest StevenHarperUK

Added

DIALLER

The Dialler is the APP you see when you make a phone call.

ZTE have their own dialler that they include with their STOCK ROM.

Some ROM developers revert the DIALLER to the stock Android DIALLER.

This is not as simple task as it integrated with other APPS such as Contacts and Settings

Guest StevenHarperUK
You could add "flash"(verb), took me a while to understand and still not entirely sure. ;)

FLASH / FLASHING

Flashing is the same as installing a ROM or FIRMWARE of your phone.

Basically your FLASHing the software onto the BOOT and SYSTEM partitions.

• 1 month later...
Guest SanFranciscoNoob

Is there any way to change the colours on the Orange San Francisco in the sms window, its just all black and would be better if they were 2 different colours. sorry its a simple question and i have a feeling the answer is not without installing a rom? which i have no idea how to even begin doing so i wouldnt be able to do it in that case.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Is there any way to change the colours on the Orange San Francisco in the sms window, its just all black and would be better if they were 2 different colours. sorry its a simple question and i have a feeling the answer is not without installing a rom? which i have no idea how to even begin doing so i wouldnt be able to do it in that case.

Have you tried a "better" SMS App (Handcent?) you will have to turn off the current SMS Apps Notifications - or both will try to popup.

• 1 month later...
Guest kol0bok

Referring to the "base address" entry, maybe someone could explain what "the baseband" actually is? Because some of us failed to learn GSM specs in the primary school.

It's hard to understand how things correlate without known terminology, even for a techie. Guessing from what I have read across forum entries it's a MMIO area used for communication between RILs and GSM hardware. And Gen2 RILs changed it to a newer version which is larger and requires to shift subsequent memory areas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest GGerikP

Thank you very much for putting this together. It's very helpful to us noobies. :)

Can I ask you to please also add "BRICK"? For any noob, I think it's important to have a clear understanding of what this implies when working on a phone. I just got my first smart phone (ZTE) and while I know I need to be scared of "bricking" my phone, I don't know if it actually means game over, or if there are (typically) still any options.

Cheers :)

Guest k0zmic

Thank you very much for putting this together. It's very helpful to us noobies. :)

Can I ask you to please also add "BRICK"? For any noob, I think it's important to have a clear understanding of what this implies when working on a phone. I just got my first smart phone (ZTE) and while I know I need to be scared of "bricking" my phone, I don't know if it actually means game over, or if there are (typically) still any options.

Cheers :)

I'd say a Brick is when there's no sign of life whatsoever, like not even the Back button Red LED light comes on.

• 3 months later...

Back again after a while and had to do a refreshing-course so came back to the Android Glossary.

Without this I would have to spend many extra hours to get my mind around many of the concepts used.

May I suggest that this Android Glassary becomes part/pinned of/on every phone sub-forum on MoDaCo? Only a few of the concepts are particular to the ZTE Blade, moderators of other phones could then add their specific words.

A big "thank you" for this most helpful guide.

Edited by A3iaan

Guest Laika97

"Each County will have its own stock ROM, some may have multiple. "

Wow. What's the Essex one like? tongue.gif Brilliant glossary though, most helpful when starting out.

Edited by Laika97

• 2 months later...
Guest ontherocks

As I understand, Gen1 or Gen2 is a hardware attribute, so a Gen1 cannot be converted to Gen2 and vice versa, unless the hardware is changed.........am I right?