CyanogenMOD on the VEGA

Guest AdamG1337

Guest Graham Macleod

For anyone thinking about installing Cyanogen at the moment - a quick heads-up.

Good: Lovely startup animation, accelerometer issues seem to be fixed, so games such as SpeedX and Abduction work perfectly. Nice screen rendering features and of course the sound equalizer - plus it's Gingerbread - much improved A2SD and keyboard etc.

Bad: Performance is patchy. Downright terrible to begin with, but stick with it, it improves markedly after a couple of reboots. No Home or Back icons in the notifications bar, you must use button saviour and it's hard to break the habit of reaching for the corners. No video codec support - nothing, so you won't be able to watch your downloaded videos. Strange market behaviour, can't buy new items or update existing ones (this will probably get fixed but the video problem is fundamental apparently).

Your mileage may vary. The video support is the problem for me.

Guest Mr E Mann
Please read the clockworkmod sticky thread. It has everything you need to know. The utility only boots into clockworkmod if it's installed. You must install clockworkmod separately. If CWM is not installed and you use the utility, you get what you've seen and a cold reboot is needed.

...and if you need help installing CWM, follow simonta's excellent guide (and zip file) here ... worked perfectly for me without any issues others have been having (by installing in the right order!)

For anyone thinking about installing Cyanogen at the moment - a quick heads-up.

Good: Lovely startup animation, accelerometer issues seem to be fixed, so games such as SpeedX and Abduction work perfectly. Nice screen rendering features and of course the sound equalizer - plus it's Gingerbread - much improved A2SD and keyboard etc.

Bad: Performance is patchy. Downright terrible to begin with, but stick with it, it improves markedly after a couple of reboots. No Home or Back icons in the notifications bar, you must use button saviour and it's hard to break the habit of reaching for the corners. No video codec support - nothing, so you won't be able to watch your downloaded videos. Strange market behaviour, can't buy new items or update existing ones (this will probably get fixed but the video problem is fundamental apparently).

Your mileage may vary. The video support is the problem for me.

Other good things: Android 2.3 Silent Mode to set up the hours of "No sound", extended controls on stock bar, really customizable, and the best of all, no more strange rendering bars, which were really annoying. Wifi doesn't go off on stand by.

Bad Things: As said no buttons on stock bar, supposed to get into next release. They recommend to use Vital Player 1.2 or above to get Video codec support. For the market not working I use app brain and fast web installer, but hopefully this issue will also get sorted in next release. Also wifi seems to disconect from time to time and need manual set up, at least with my device.

For me, the big show stopper is the USB switch not working. I'll stick with CM7 because I don't need it yet. but I'll change back to Paul's if this is not sorted.

If someone with CM7 can check it's not only for me that is not working I'll appreciate.

Edited by Melted

Guest nickwarn
Other good things: Android 2.3 Silent Mode to set up the hours of "No sound", extended controls on stock bar, really customizable, and the best of all, no more strange rendering bars, which were really annoying.

Bad Things: As said no buttons on stock bar, supposed to get into next release. They recommend to use Vital Player 1.2 or above to get Video codec support. For the market not working I use app brain and fast web installer, but hopefully this issue will also get sorted in next release.

For me, the big show stopper is the USB switch not working. I'll stick with CM7 because I don't need it yet. but I'll change back to Paul's if this is not sorted.

If someone with CM7 can check it's not only for me that is not working I'll appreciate.

is everything running smooth and lagg free for you? because i have installed and uninstalled atleast 5-6 times and for me it runs really bad. I have tryed diffrent downloads and wipe options, still not useable. But some say they dont have speed and lag issues. Sounds strange if that is the case because the Xda thread is fild with people who have them. I think someone run a quadrant benchmark on it and got 450!!

is everything running smooth and lagg free for you? because i have installed and uninstalled atleast 5-6 times and for me it runs really bad. I have tryed diffrent downloads and wipe options, still not useable. But some say they dont have speed and lag issues. Sounds strange if that is the case because the Xda thread is fild with people who have them. I think someone run a quadrant benchmark on it and got 450!!

I think so, I installed the rom yesterday afternoon and everything went really well. No laggy issues, at least for the moment.

I did a titanium restore, put all widgets , icons etc.. and used it for about 4 hours reading ,checking email with notion ink email app, checking the forum with tapatalk. No lag issues that I noticed. I'm at work ATM but I'll do a "stress" check with browsers and some heavy render game, like crazy snowboard as soon I get home this evening.

I did a full wipe before installing.

No one tried the USB swicher?

thanks!

edit: I'll install this quadrant benchmark and report back.

Edit2: My device scored 2024 in quadrant benchmark. first run.

edit3: My device scored 2222 in quadrant benchmark. second run

Edited by Melted

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dyonas
New CyanogenMod 7 b2 for vega in XDA.

Check it out!

Downloading it now, no changelog though. I tried the B1 last night and it was nice but felt a little rough with sluggish performance in places. I'll see if the new beta is smoother.

Side note: I hate how jittery the Vega is while charging.

Guest rferrett

Bugger seem to have got stuck in a boot loop.

Installed cm7 from recovery and booted fine first time. Restored missing apps and settings from titanium and did a reboot.

Now got the cyanogen 7 bottling animation and been stuck there for about five minutes.

Any ideas about how I'm going to get into recovery as not at home so dont have cable for nvflash

Guest spacecadetuk

+1 for the bootloop, previous one went fine but this upgrade just left it in a bootloop, back to good old fuji vega v4

Guest rferrett

Installed cm7 from recovery and booted fine first time. Restored missing apps and settings from titanium and did a reboot.

Now got the cyanogen 7 bottling animation and been stuck there for about five minutes.

Any ideas about how I'm going to get into recovery as not at home so dont have cable for nvflash

Guest rferrett
+1 for the bootloop, previous one went fine but this upgrade just left it in a bootloop, back to good old fuji vega v4

How did you recover? Nvflash? I dont have access to a usb/usb cable so am stuck until I get home unless I can find a way to get to recovery! D'oh!

Guest Jon Clarke

I had the same problem which was a tad strange as the b1 version installed okay. I wondered whether the fact that the new ROM's name included the word 'upgrade' was relevant and so, after I had re-flashed the stock ROM & Recovery, I installed the first beta 'b1' and then 'b2'. This worked perfectly although I then got stuck trying to install the market and haven't quite managed that yet. :(

Fortunately I'm at home so I was able to re-flash as normal. I would have been stuck otherwise.

Guest rferrett

I fear that is the drill. Got a twop hour coach journey tomorrow and really wanted to use my vega! That will learn me to messes around with roms when not at home.

It is a real bloody ball ache that we dont have a key press method of getting to recovery.

Guest rferrett

Right got myself home and all sorted out. Turns out the problem was trying to restore some Froyo settings on a Gingerbread ROM and causing some sort of a bootloop.

Anyhoodly got it working and again this ROM is coming along nicely but isn't quite there yet for my money. Clearly though, for my 2cents, once Apache/Bumble has ironed out some of te creases this is going to be our best bet until the 3.0 AOSP drops and some wag gets it working on our Vega's!

But not quite there for day to day.

Guest T4ylor
Right got myself home and all sorted out. Turns out the problem was trying to restore some Froyo settings on a Gingerbread ROM and causing some sort of a bootloop.

Anyhoodly got it working and again this ROM is coming along nicely but isn't quite there yet for my money. Clearly though, for my 2cents, once Apache/Bumble has ironed out some of te creases this is going to be our best bet until the 3.0 AOSP drops and some wag gets it working on our Vega's!

But not quite there for day to day.

How did you get it to work please because I keep getting stuck in the bootloop and it's doing my nut in.

Guest T4ylor
Where are you getting up to? Is it a bootloop after installing the rom the first time, or after doing a titaniim restore?

When I have flashed the Rom and reboot it gets to the boot screen with the little android man with a circle round him at that's it. I have tried it a few times now with the same result.

Guest rferrett

This usually happens if when you have not done a full wipe in CWM before installing a rom. You should chose the wipe/factory reset option and wipe the cache.

You done both of those before installing the CM rom?