Nominate a Mod/Split the forum into sections - Poll now closed.

Guest cobhc

Guest awarner

Robot1000 Read the topic description when you view the subforum :D

Ok so thanks go to StevenHarperUK & Matty-p who have stepped up to the line to help out here.

A seperate Development section may be created later but that would require heavy moderation to remove the "white noise" as mentioned above.

What could be done is the most recent ROMs could be pinned and then replaced when they get updated.

I do not want to create a seperate eco-system just for one device, yes the Blade is popular but that is only for now, within a year it will the old best thing and something else will take it's place. It happens all the time.

Guest sanfran1

@awarner

Thanks for listening to the feedback and making the requested changes. I know some admins on other forums don't care about their users opinions.

Guest StevenHarperUK

Ok We are moving things about now : I believe in keeping ROM and RECOVERY just in the forum.

New Threads should only be new ROMS and RECOVERY Images.

This make sense?

Guest StevenHarperUK
Tweaking the areas. :D

P

Hi Paul,

Nice to see you back - shall we keep the ROM area just for actaul ROM threads - or are we having questions in there too?

My feeling it to keep them in general?

I think it probably makes sense to keep everything ROM related in the ROM section, otherwise it's not very clear for the users.

Anything ROM in ROM area. Anything theme / design related in that area. If we need more areas going forward, we can create them, but this is probably good for now.

I'm thinking about other ways to differentiate between 'ROMs' and 'ROM questions', i.e. making posting a ROM something different than just creating a post. Unifying the layout, download, instructions, requirements etc. into a standard format. Watch this space. :D

P

Guest StevenHarperUK
I think it probably makes sense to keep everything ROM related in the ROM section, otherwise it's not very clear for the users.

Anything ROM in ROM area. Anything theme / design related in that area. If we need more areas going forward, we can create them, but this is probably good for now.

I'm thinking about other ways to differentiate between 'ROMs' and 'ROM questions', i.e. making posting a ROM something different than just creating a post. Unifying the layout, download, instructions, requirements etc. into a standard format. Watch this space. :D

P

The pre-fixing with [ROM] helps quite a lot for just spotting them in the forum view

Guest punkmilitia

finaly, a mod! thank god!

to admin: I think it would be a good idea for a guides section too, there are quite a few guides but most of them get "drowned" amoungst other threads and some of them are very useful such as the battery one, how to install custom roms, etc

Guest isambard

actually, i thought it was ok as-is, but just needed a mod to unify the 30,000 different kernel is out threads etc.

i think there's a key interaction with ROM development and bug report/help posts. But now that it is done, is it possible to get a 'unified view' where you can see all sub-forums together?

Guest oh!dougal

P

Actually, it had seemed to me that most (all?) of the Theming was intimately related to specific roms ... I don't understand that separation between roms and themes.

Rather than going for the hardest part first (like a user believing that a specific Froyo ROM has caused his Blade wifi to go off during sleep - a real mod test!), I think the first thing ought to be to see what is CLEARLY DISTINCT, and split that off.

One that seems plain to me is "Accessories" (batteries, screen protectors, cases, mounts, chargers, even case backs).

I think getting that stuff parcelled up on its own would be a great start.

Then there's the matter of Apps for the Blade. What works or doesn't. What makes up for Blade shortcomings. What is your favourite ... Launcher, game, clock. When do we get Flash, iPlayer, etc?

I think that stuff has fairly clear boundaries, and would be best to be disentangled from "my fones broke its ur falt so help me fixit".

But I wouldn't object to putting Apps and Accessories together, away from everything else.

Sorting out Dev-collaboration (too scarce IMHO) from user-babble is going to be tricky.

Hence, I think the starting point is to do the easy stuff, that categorises cleanly - and then see what's left.

And I don't see roms/themes as being an important, clean distinction. What about Matty's MIUI-themed rom?

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest shadowninty

It would be good to see an Apps & Accesories section, a dev-only [heavily-moderated] Blade Development section, and a General Modding section for all users (also questions like "hlppp i cant root!!!!!" can go there)

Edited by shadowninty

Guest awarner
It would be good to see an Apps & Accesories section, a dev-only [heavily-moderated] Blade Development section, and a General Modding section for all users (also questions like "hlppp i cant root!!!!!" can go there)

There is already an apps section called Software It's above the devices in the main index.

Guest Matty-p
There is already an apps section called Software It's above the devices in the main index.

Yea having apps section for every device is crazy but I do think we need a dev sub forum it will help devs and newbies.

Guest oh!dougal

Then there's the matter of Apps for the Blade. What works or doesn't. What makes up for Blade shortcomings. What is your favourite ... Launcher, game, clock. When do we get Flash, iPlayer, etc?

I think that stuff has fairly clear boundaries, and would be best to be disentangled from "my fones broke its ur falt so help me fixit".

But I wouldn't object to putting Apps and Accessories together, away from everything else. ...

Yes.

But you'll note that I was referring to Apps for the Blade and the multiplicity of "software" threads that the Blade forum already hosts.

I count 15 candidate threads active in the last 24 hours.

Are you proposing moving all the existing 'software' threads into "Software"?

I doubt that would be very popular!

Moving them into an Apps for the Blade sub-section would seem a welcome compromise.

BTW, I count 4 active 'accessories' threads in the last 24 hours ... exactly the same as Themes! :D

Edited by oh!dougal