Windows On Vega Near Future!

Guest Anton2k

Guest Infnordz
I agree with you. I don't want a religious debate either, just trying to stop some FUD.

Myth. Open good. Closed bad. See above.

Myth. Apps won't run. Overwhelming majority will run just fine. Device drivers, another matter but given that Windows will port and will sell, the drivers will come.

Myth. Windows bloated. See above.

PS. I'm not a "fan" of any OS. I use Windows, Linux, Android and OSX. Horses for courses. All of them have specific advantages and disadvantages. As I said, more choice is good..

I'm quite happy to run a Windows 7 desktop, because there are good reasons to, and hardware and software support is excellent, because of heavy commercial use; Apple less so, because Apple is more proprietary than Microsoft, and Desktop Linux less so, because the developers don't understand that most people prefer to do everything with usable and consistent GUIs (which is hard), and avoid the command line, for all but detailed Admin stuff.

OK, so why did you buy an Android Vega over an Apple iPad? Is is cost, flexibility, more free stuff, hackability (e.g. the firmware here)?

I've used a Windows CE 5.0 device, and seen how badly supported it is, so no way do I want any kind of Mobile Windows on the Vega:

1. Closed is bad, for license cost and longer term support e.g. why do you think Oracle sued Google over the Android VM? answer: it is killing off their market for expensive J2ME licenses.
  2. Closed source device drivers can kill a platform, given most licenses are only affordable to hardware manufacturers, and but they may not to decide license them, however a Linux-based OS makes it possible to cross-port device drivers between devices, even different Linux branches.
  3. It will be stagnant, with far less free stuff, because mobile Window has less of an OSS culture than Linux.
  4. It will not be trivial to code for, mobile C# is nasty, and will probably have nasty APIs; I work near a handheld developer, so hear about enough stupid issues.
  5. Windows CE 5.0 is effectively dead and upgrades are not possible for many devices; a lesson here!
  6. The range of Android apps is awesome and rich, and the Android OS seems well designed, and Android looks to have a better upgrade path.
  7. Google has a better resources to support Android than Microsoft, and doesn't have as much baggage.
  8. I'm a Professional Java Developer, and see lots of support for development, so will probably develop some Apps for it, at least for my own use.
  9. Have a look at Android 3.0, I bet this gets rolled out to the Vega, this year.
Having a decent base of free OSS support is important, otherwise code/license/platform/hardware rot renders a platform unusable. I've seen closed platform have to be dropped, together with years of investment in them, when their proprietary support disappears; this doesn't happen to open systems. Edited by Infnordz

Guest removed-14

All pointless discussions as I only see Microsoft selling licenses to OEMs for preinstall of ANY kind of Windows on ARM. I don't think we will see a retail copy to install on your Vega in PC World any time soon.

Guest warriorscot

Yeah I agree MS have never sold any OS for ARM devices as anything other than OEM licences with CE they just provided source code and lets the hardware developers do what they wanted with it. If they do actually release the next version of windows for ARM they might do it with a different model but it won't be available for retail and its going to have to be tailored to the devices individually. The problem with its going to the exact CE had only it has more power available now than it did but all the software and drivers need to be ported over and MS have always made it clear that wasn't worth their time and left it to the customers to do that.

Any developers aren't going to pay for the more expensive desktop windows version when CE 7 is available and optimised for phones and tablets with freedom for their own modifications. If you are building a tablet with enough power for desktop windows its going to be an Intel platform or have Ion so it will be x86 not ARM.

Guest jellywobbles
Android is open source, windows is closed. That's the best reason to keep windows off the platform IMO.

+1

Agree 1000%!

As to Windows running on a Vega, I have had Win 7 running on my Vega for a few weeks - HONEST!

OK .. not by convential methods; via Citrix! Also got it running on my HTC Desire. Just for fun!

Cheers

Guest Anton2k
+1

Agree 1000%!

As to Windows running on a Vega, I have had Win 7 running on my Vega for a few weeks - HONEST!

OK .. not by convential methods; via Citrix! Also got it running on my HTC Desire. Just for fun!

Cheers

Citrix? like vnc or summin?