• A Stock Lock Screen
  • Gingerbread Keyboard
  • Google's DNS
  • A Working FM Radio APP
  • Wifi and assisted GPS
  • Multi person MMS
  • Works without a Sim Card

Unless I've got this wrong….

from what I understand.. it does make me angry reading this stuff. Especially for effectively a hacker community.

Can we just leave the Google extras out of these ROMs ? Is it too much to ask ?

"Google DNS"

The thought of Google knowing every site you go to by DNS lookup on its server is just horrific. You really do wonder what is actually going on in some people's heads.

I hope 'Google DNS' is turnoffable somewhere.

And yes the suggest as you type, and search history etc which is not directly turnoffable anywhere in 2.1 (doesn't work) needs to be killed.

Guest buneech
"Google DNS"

The thought of Google knowing every site you go to by DNS lookup on its server is just horrific. You really do wonder what is actually going on in some people's heads.

Wait a sec...you're using a google powered phone, and are concerned that google caches dns? Srsly?

Guest Coldbird

Having a tiny problem with SetCPU on that ROM. It's freezing occassionally. Making effective use of overclocking is thus not possible.

Anyone have a solution to that?

Other than that, it's a very fine ROM. I like it thus far, and it's the only ROM I've found so far which has full german settings. :D

Edited by Coldbird

Wait a sec...you're using a google powered phone, and are concerned that google caches dns? Srsly?

Maybe he thinks Google's revenue comes automagically out of thin air, not selling personalised advertisement and (slightly) anonymous user data. And that they are giving us Android just because they are nice guys.

Edited by k0nrad

Unless I've got this wrong….

from what I understand.. it does make me angry reading this stuff. Especially for effectively a hacker community.

Can we just leave the Google extras out of these ROMs ? Is it too much to ask ?

Is it too much to ask to do this yourself if it annoys you?

I hope 'Google DNS' is turnoffable somewhere.

Be part of that "hacker community". Open /system/etc/resolv.conf and change the DNS to your choice.

Guest StevenHarperUK

Actually - I don;t know what the original DNS was set too, wasn't it some default ZTE one?

Guest evilpaul
In what way? Don't say just that, give reasons.

Japanese Jellyfish plus points.

Don't have to pay to get newest version straight away.

Overclockable.

Kernel compiled from source.

snip...

Yes

It has

• Source Compiled Kernel
  • snip...

I'm not trying to have a dig, but can both of you please state what you are trying to say in clear and correct terms.

The kernel in all versions has been compiled from source code, it is not magically pulled from the ether.

You should be telling people that the kernel has been compiled from the publicly released source code, therefore anyone can look to see exactly what the code is doing.

Guest Coldbird

And I still have trouble using SetCPU, so if someone can hint me into the right direction for Jelly this would be very kind.

As for the Google DNS, I don't see much of a problem there... it still is one of the fastest DNS servers and seriously, you are already open to Google Spying just by using Android anyway.

Oh btw... about my experience with battery life on Jelly so far. It's very nice. I can run on standby for 3 hours straight and loose only 2% average, for active use its very identical to all the other released Froyo ROMs so far...

So really, with RLS6 no need to be scared about battery life any longer.

Edited by Coldbird

This morning I made the move from MCR alpha4 to JJ, and I'm impressed. It seems faster, and more responsive (entirely subjective), and the battery is lasting longer than it did on alpha4. As a bonus (though I could have baked an alpha 5), I get A2SD. What not to like about JJ?

Oh, also, I can use the home key to wake the phone up - as opposed to the power button :D.

Guest Rotmann
What not to like about JJ?

Oh, also, I can use the home key to wake the phone up - as opposed to the power button :D.

That's a sign that your phone is not sleeping and will result in massive battery usage, just like many other JJ users have :P

Guest RottenFoxBreath
This morning I made the move from MCR alpha4 to JJ, and I'm impressed. It seems faster, and more responsive (entirely subjective), and the battery is lasting longer than it did on alpha4. As a bonus (though I could have baked an alpha 5), I get A2SD. What not to like about JJ?

I got that when i had it connected to the pc with usb, then remove the phone from the usb/pc connection....the phone needed a reboot to reset this.

The FLB latest rom v6, doesn't do this, when removed from pc usb connection.

Weird..

Edited by RottenFoxBreath

Guest cartierv

Of course I am. You're just giving a record of every web site you visit (presumably assuming it's not just an ip address and has to do a dns lookup) to Google.

That's not cool or creative or innovative. It's just a mistake. We all make mistakes sometimes. Don't pass the buck on to those pointing out the mistake. Just fix it.

So let's put the question the other way round. Why aren't you concerned ?

Edited by cartierv

Guest cartierv
Maybe he thinks Google's revenue comes automagically out of thin air, not selling personalised advertisement and (slightly) anonymous user data. And that they are giving us Android just because they are nice guys.

That's nothing to do with with issue I'm talking about at all.

Guest buneech
So let's put the question the other way round. Why aren't you concerned ?

I don't use google dns, so i'm not concerned, using dns servers located much closer to me. But even if i were paranoid about google knowing what i browse ... then i wouldn't be using any product google has put out. Even google search, as that records my search, and gives me ads, related to my current and previous search. Heck, i probably wouldn't be using the world wide web.

You have to look at it from another perspective, also. Google is well known for caching information, and using it to build up their revenue, but in return they provide a whole bunch of "free" products like, gmail, google apps, youtube, gdocs, chrome, etc. Business has to work somehow.

The bad thing in all of this is, that there is no real competitor.

And don't get me wrong here, the web should be a little more private, and I agree with your concern on some levels. We are all different, and i'm happy we are. :D

OT: I would also like to know the answer to the op's question. I'm currently using MCR Froyo alpha4, and i'm kind of intrigued to try out JapJelly. Maybe i'll do a nandroid backup and take it for a spin. :P

Edited by buneech

Guest StevenHarperUK
That's nothing to do with with issue I'm talking about at all.

I have an honest Question:

What is your DNS choice then?

Who do you trust to do this?

Guest cartierv
I don't use google dns, so i'm not concerned, using dns servers located much closer to me. But even if i were paranoid about google knowing what i browse ... then i wouldn't be using any product google has put out. Even google search, as that records my search, and gives me ads, related to my current and previous search. Heck, i probably wouldn't be using the world wide web.

You have to look at it from another perspective, also. Google is well known for caching information, and using it to build up their revenue, but in return they provide a whole bunch of "free" products like, gmail, google apps, youtube, gdocs, chrome, etc. Business has to work somehow.

The bad thing in all of this is, that there is no real competitor.

And don't get me wrong here, the web should be a little more private, and I agree with your concern on some levels. We are all different, and i'm happy we are. :D

OT: I would also like to know the answer to the op's question. I'm currently using MCR Froyo alpha4, and i'm kind of intrigued to try out JapJelly. Maybe i'll do a nandroid backup and take it for a spin. :P

Yah, but that's what I'm saying. That's not a reason not to be concerned. That's side stepping the issues here. This is something to be concerned about it in principle.

As I understand it Google's main income is actually adwords, but that's an aside.... anyway...

But no. It's not a question accepting some inherent 'culture' about Google. As far as Google itself goes it's about Google coming up to the mark. Not me lowering myself.

The mark here is I want CHOICE. To OPT IN on certain services and therefore data gathering and be EXCLUDED from others. Doesn't matter what other people want or is ok for them. Doesn't matter that the world is in a hurry, some dumb ass on the train, quickly wants to look something up on the browser, and doesn't care. None of that matters.

Now when some 'hacker' producing their own ROM starts OPTING me in to new Google services this is a complete no no. It's bad enough Google's position on this. But it's just bad form to be opting others in to new ones. Especially as we have just found out here, near enough hard writing it into a unix config file and requiring root or more developer tools to hack out again.

But as I say we all make mistakes. We are all entitled to 1 or 2 mistakes.

Edited by cartierv

Guest cartierv
I have an honest Question:

What is your DNS choice then?

Who do you trust to do this?

It's not about trusting a DNS, it's about pooling your entire internet experience through one organisation. And a unique and massive and frankly rather spooky organization at that.

Google DNS is just a step too far.

Edited by cartierv

Guest evilpaul
Now when some 'hacker' producing their own ROM starts OPTING me in to new Google services this is a complete no no. It's bad enough Google's position on this. But it's just bad form to be opting others in to new ones. Especially as we have just found out here, near enough hard writing it into a unix config file and requiring root or more developer tools to hack out again.

Whilst you may have some valid concerns, you need to be addressing these at Google rather than at kallt_kaffe and others on this forum.

On the first post in the Japanese Jellyfish thread it specifically states the following:

Added resolv.conf with Googles public DNS-servers.

Everyone who chooses to use that ROM is informed of what it contains, and therefore it is the users choice to then install the ROM and make use of the configured DNS servers.

If you feel that this is not good enough, then you have all the information on this forum to be able to build your own ROM with only the items you want to include.

Everyone who chooses to use that ROM is informed of what it contains, and therefore it is the users choice to then install the ROM and make use of the configured DNS servers.

If you feel that this is not good enough, then you have all the information on this forum to be able to build your own ROM with only the items you want to include.

Well said

is there no way for me to keep my messages, since i need to wipe everything before doing a rom install from paul's froyo to jellyfish?

SMS Backup+ on the market syncs all your messages (not MMS fully though) to your Gmail account. It's really convenient and worked for me twice!

Today, that's not working like that. Weird. However, battery life is excellent :D 22 hours since I unplugged it, and 45% left - that's with 2G on during the day, and airplane mode at night. Exchange email every 15 mins, and GMail whenever, as well as a couple of other bits and bobs.

I'm a fan!

That's a sign that your phone is not sleeping and will result in massive battery usage, just like many other JJ users have :P

I got that when i had it connected to the pc with usb, then remove the phone from the usb/pc connection....the phone needed a reboot to reset this.

The FLB latest rom v6, doesn't do this, when removed from pc usb connection.

Weird..

Guest cartierv
Whilst you may have some valid concerns, you need to be addressing these at Google rather than at kallt_kaffe and others on this forum.

On the first post in the Japanese Jellyfish thread it specifically states the following:

Actually, I think here is the right place. I can't do a lot to Google. It's very hard telling a massive company they shouldn't be so massive, pervasive across the internet and offer so many services.

It's far better to talk about what the consequences of that are.

Now as far as I know, but I should check first, Google are not opting me into Google DNS as a default. If they are (and haven't checked the stock config) then that needs to stop too.

But this is Kalt Kaffe's ROM, not Googles and people should be aware of the consequences of this. And it also makes me wonder what else is installed in that particular ROM that I need to go over with a fine tooth comb. And I feel what I'm saying is, I kinda shouldn't have to really. I expect ROMs to be reasonably benign.

As a general thing, I think it's a not a great thing to be opting people in to new services even if you tell somewhere what they are. So yes, I will be looking to kill the Google DNS in the config file with this ROM. Thanks.