T mobile (UK) hacks it's data allowance!

Guest squirreleater

I'd just like to point out that my Orange PAYG SIM is on the Dolphin plan and I only get a measly 100mb per £10.

But here's the kicker - I got two £10 vouchers with my San Fran, and (after having lost most of it for no apparent reason) I attempted to access mobile internet today and I was told that I had no credit. Shouldn't I be getting 100mb free? :D

Looks like GiffGaff is the way forward - I've just ordered mine now. It's slightly ironic, actually, since my phone has a big orange square printed on the back of it. :P

About the T-Mobile thing, I think they may be merging with Orange as recently they agreed to allow users to use each others' signal. But you lot probably already know about that, right?

I wonder what they'll be called.

Guest masterpfa
Looks like GiffGaff is the way forward - I've just ordered mine now.

I have had GiffGaff as a secondary SIM (still under contract) and have had no complaints.

The joke about it is I don't think I use anyway near 500mb, but I take comfort in the fact, currently, that if I need to go over that amount it was available.

Ah well all the other options will now be considered and I may just move away from T-Mobile anyway as my own form of protest, small as it may be, but collectively my fellow MoDaCoees :D we can make a stand,

YES WE CAN!

:P

EDIT: According to Ofcom

Ofcom advice

The telecoms regulator Ofcom told ZDNet UK on Monday that, "if consumers are being notified of a change likely to cause them material detriment, the provider must give the customer one month's notice of the change, and at the same time they must also inform the customer of their right to terminate their contract without penalty if the proposed change is not acceptable to the customer".

As the changes take effect from 1 February, T-Mobile has given less than one month's notice.

"We encourage unhappy consumers to speak with their provider about their concerns," Ofcom's spokesperson said. "If the problem relates to a particular term or condition that you feel is unfair, then you can log your complaint with Ofcom. We monitor complaints about the behaviour of communications providers and if there is a high volume of complaints about a particular issue, we do investigate and take action as required."

Edited by masterpfa

Guest squidlr

I use GiffGaff and love the service they provide, but I'm suspicious that they too will reduce the 'unlimited data' usage at some point this year as T Mobile have done.

Guest shambolic2000

I wonder if people can cancel their contracts without paying the early termination fee and also keep their phone..it seems fairly clear that people will be able to cancel their contracts but I wonder about the phone..

Guest living shinigami

This is disgusting!!! I recently upgraded to HTC Desire HD on T mobile and was ready to leave when they asked me to pay £120 for the priviledge, i was put through to retentions and the chap explained that they could match their online offer but i would loose the discount i got from a tie in scheme with an old work place. The only reason i stayed at Tmobile is because he promised 3gb fair usage allowance on all Android phones which was the only difference i could find between their priceplans and others in the same range.

They will be getting a Gob Full tomorrow when their customer services open again!!!

Guest pfsykes

Hi I spoke to tmob yester day and they said that my account for data will drop from 3gb to 2.5gb. thats not so bad. however im not happy at the notice period. ie NONE.

Peter

Guest squirreleater

Hi All,

I've been following this on twitter quite a lot since it broke. I will post various links on the front page for information.

There is no guarantee anything will work if TMobile stonewall, even though it is obviously bang out of order and very dubious legally.

Personally I've found Bitterwallet have a good history of this as does Money saving Forums.

Links will be added as I find them.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Guest katun79

I'm SOOOO happy to be an h3g Italy customer!!

T-mobile sucks!!!

I have 2 sim with h3g Italy, my first number has an old "Super internet" option, 3GB/month for 5€ without any other limit.

The other sim card has the new "Super Internet 2010" option, same price but only 100MB/day, ok same GB/month but I prefer to be able to download a new modaco rom using my 3g network...

I have hated h3g for this new limitation, but It still good compared to T-Mobile!!!

500MB/month ARE NOT ENOUGH!!! :D

Guest pd.ryder
I use GiffGaff and love the service they provide, but I'm suspicious that they too will reduce the 'unlimited data' usage at some point this year as T Mobile have done.

You're right - I've just looked at their small print and found this:

Free Mobile Internet:

You lucky giffgaff pioneers can even enjoy free UK mobile Internet up to the 28 FEB 2011. After that date, mobile Internet will be charged at 50p a day (if you use less than 2.5MB/day you'll pay less than 50p and if you go over 30MB you'll be charged extra at 20p/MB). But all our goodybags that include unlimited Internet will continue including unlimited Internet after the 28 FEB 2011.

That will mean a charge of maybe £15 a month (50p/day) and with a 30MB ceiling. I'm assuming that's 30MB per day for the 50p charge, so 900MB for £15/month on top of the call package? I'm not sure that's so great when T will reinstate the 3GB for £15/month.

Hi I spoke to tmob yester day and they said that my account for data will drop from 3gb to 2.5gb. thats not so bad. however im not happy at the notice period. ie NONE.

Peter

T are reducing the FUP *by* 2.5GB, leaving you with a measly 500MB. This has been confirmed as effective for ALL customers, not just new contracts.

Let the battle commence...

I've had lengthy conversations with both T and Ofcom today. The plot thickens and CS are adamant they are not required to give "a month's" (Ofcom clause 9.3) notice. They consider *any* form of notice to be adequate *anytime* before the 1 Feb. So, that'll be a text at 23.59 on 31 Jan will it? CS seemed to think that would be appropriate.

Guest pd.ryder
I wish this allowed us to cancel our contracts... :D

It would appear that it does, given Ofcom's clause 9.3 and T-Mobile's own T&C section 7.2.3.2 - there are several forms of letter in draft on t'internet to assist with cancellation of contracts, one of which quotes:

For your direct Android customers, the 3GB data allowance forms an identical part of the core Price Plan Services as the inclusive minutes and texts. You can no more reduce my data allowance by 2.5GB and then offer to sell it back to me for £15, than you could take away 300 of my inclusive minutes and then offer to sell the same 300 minutes back to me for an extra £15 per month. It’s a ludicrously transparent deception to attempt to disguise this price rise in this way.

which will help with demonstrating "material detriment" and hence a breach of contract.

Better minds than mine are looking at this as we speak, so watch Twitter / FB and these pages for updates. #tmobile

It would appear that it does, given Ofcom's clause 9.3 and T-Mobile's own T&C section 7.2.3.2 - there are several forms of letter in draft on t'internet to assist with cancellation of contracts, one of which quotes:

which will help with demonstrating "material detriment" and hence a breach of contract.

Better minds than mine are looking at this as we speak, so watch Twitter / FB and these pages for updates. #tmobile

Ive edited your quote, whoever wrote it made a typo, the use of the word "identical" makes no sense.

Guest pd.ryder

Ive edited your quote, whoever wrote it made a typo, the use of the word "identical" makes no sense.

Thanks... *dashes off to edit letter...* :-)

Guest squirreleater

Update:

Apparently, they have backtracked and now it DOESN'T apply to existing customers.

T Mobile statement

Pasted:

Changes to Mobile Internet fair use policies

T-Mobile Statement:

“On Monday 10 January 2011 we announced that, in line with the rest of the industry, T-Mobile would be reducing its Fair Use Policy for data usage to 500MB a month for all mobile phone customers. Following a further review of our policy, these changes will now be introduced from 1 February, to new and upgrading customers only - not existing customers.

There will be no change to the data packages for existing customers for the duration of their contract and we apologise for any confusion caused. The revision to the Fair Use Policy is designed to ensure an improved quality of service for all mobile internet users."

Lysa Hardy, VP, T-Mobile UK

Information on new data policy:

From 1 February 2011 new and upgrading customers will be given a monthly 500MB data allowance. There will be no charge for those customers exceeding that limit, and those who do will still be able to access important services such as email and web browsing, however file downloading and streaming services will be restricted. Customers will then have the option to increase their monthly Fair Use Policy to 1GB a month by purchasing a Mobile Broadband Booster. This will ensure an improved quality of service for all of our mobile internet users.

Guest Clark80

Until you upgrade... Then the limit applies to all

T-Mobile Statement:

“On Monday 10 January 2011 we announced that, in line with the rest of the industry, T-Mobile would be reducing its Fair Use Policy for data usage to 500MB a month for all mobile phone customers. Following a further review of our policy, these changes will now be introduced from 1 February, to new and upgrading customers only - not existing customers.

There will be no change to the data packages for existing customers for the duration of their contract and we apologise for any confusion caused. The revision to the Fair Use Policy is designed to ensure an improved quality of service for all mobile internet users."

Edited by Clark80

Guest pd.ryder

Yup - same reflected on ZDNet a few minutes ago:

T-Mobile has backtracked on its decision to drastically cut the mobile data use allowances for existing as well as new smartphone customers, following an explosion of public anger at the move.

On Wednesday, the operator said it will now only offer the reduced levels of data to new and upgrading customers, while existing customers will get the 1-3GB they signed up for until their contracts run out.

The u-turn, announced on Wednesday afternoon, came shortly after the consumer group Which? said its legal team were of the opinion that T-Mobile was breaking its own terms and conditions by announcing the 'fair use' cap cut less than a month after it will come into force on 1 February. The cut, which will mean an 83 percent reduction in the amount of data an Android user is supposed to use each month — from 3GB to 500MB — was only announced over the weekend.

"Which?'s legal team says that by failing to give customers 30 days' notice of such significant changes, T-Mobile is likely to be in breach of its own terms and conditions," Which? said in a blog post on Tuesday. "If T-Mobile insists on applying the new fair usage caps to existing customers, we believe it should postpone their implementation until all its customers have had 30 days written notice of the changes and thus ample opportunity to protest."

In a statement posted on T-Mobile's customer support site on Wednesday, T-Mobile vice president Lysa Hardy said that existing customers would not be affected after all.

"Following a further review of our policy, these changes will now be introduced from 1 February, to new and upgrading customers only — not existing customers," Hardy wrote. "There will be no change to the data packages for existing customers for the duration of their contract and we apologise for any confusion caused."

T-Mobile does not charge its customers extra for exceeding the fair use limit, but it does throttle the speed of their mobile broadband connections between 4pm and midnight each day for the remainder of the month, once that level has been passed.

I wonder if I can get my missus onto a direct Android contract with a Desire HD before 1 Feb, although that would, I think, constitute an additional handset on my existing contract so wouldn't count as "new business"? I'll have to ask them....

Guest daisyhayseed

My contract came up for renewal this month. I spoke with T-Mobile on Saturday and I was gutted to hear that they would be changing their policy in February. As I have an unlocked Blade I advised them that I would likely go to Giffgaff on a sim only deal as their internet usage would be preferable. They phoned me back today and said that they would equal Giffgaff's terms and allow me to keep my 3gb per month allowance on a 12 month contract. I'm glad I waited a few days.

In general I think that some of the major companies are being short-sighted. They lure people into 18+ month contracts with smart phones and don’t provide customers with a sufficient service to use the phones to their full potential. Then again, what’s new :D ?

Guest amarko5
Until you upgrade... Then the limit applies to all

T-Mobile Statement:

wow an amazing backtrack (sarcasm) the best that is going to help anybody is if they just signed up this month for a 2 year deal. because i have 2 phones with them one out of contract in april and one in november so that means as soon as the contract is over they will switch me to the 500 mb limit ;)

it's really bad practice for them, as i will be jumping ship as soon as they do. (more as a matter of principle, than anything else) and i hope thousands more do the same.

Guest 2smart4class

i have the 3gb limit from t-mobile...by the way has anyone tried to tether or use a mobile broadband dongle with the simcard, do you get charged?? or does it come out of the 3gb allowance?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.