Mobile Broadband dongles

Guest dukla2000

Guest beegee1962
ermmm ok i found the usb switcher on the market..it installs but wont open..so thats probably why the app isnt on my vega? please does anyone anyone else know which app i need to usb switch on the r8? grrrrr so frustrating!! ive read hundreds of pages but everything is so spread about and confusing to a newby :) :P ;) :unsure:

You bought the Vega with MoDaCo r8 ROM :o So you bought a used one :P

Goto Menu->Settings->About Device and tell us what it says in the Kernel Version. Maybe its MoDaCo r8 but with a different kernel.

Guest rosiekatie
You bought the Vega with MoDaCo r8 ROM ;) So you bought a used one :o

Goto Menu->Settings->About Device and tell us what it says in the Kernel Version. Maybe its MoDaCo r8 but with a different kernel.

yes beegee i bought a 6 weeks old one with the rom already on..receipt included. i was too scared to try and attempt it myself..id love to upgrade it to the corvus rom but the help instructions for newbies are very hard to understand (need dummy baby step instructions lol as most folks jump to step 3 already disaabled ect ect :unsure: . but i did find theh usb program eventually and got the 3g dongle working its fantastic :)))... thanks for trying to help me beegee :P

Guest smoky1999
If they are bringing out a 3G equipped model (which IIRC is on the cards for the future, unless of course this falls by the wayside) then that could be addressed that way - as long as the device recognises

hi i had the same problem and found out that there is no softwear to support a mobile dongle you have to buy a wifi dongle that will alow you to use it on the vega i have done this and find it works better as you can have the wifi in your pocket and not a dongle sticking out of the usb i hope this helps rehards smoky1999

Guest rosiekatie
hi i had the same problem and found out that there is no softwear to support a mobile dongle you have to buy a wifi dongle that will alow you to use it on the vega i have done this and find it works better as you can have the wifi in your pocket and not a dongle sticking out of the usb i hope this helps rehards smoky1999

hi smokey yes there is a trick or hack whatever they call it described by beans i followed his instructions it works perfectly with my huwaei e220 but its a horrible dongle hanging down..was hoping to get my htc desire hd working with it but no luck so far :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Old Holborn

Hmm. Still stuck with my ZTE dongle on 3. Got as far as it registering with the 3 network but doesn't give me internet browsing. any ideas? Am I missing anything blindingly obvious?

Guest Cozza
Hmm. Still stuck with my ZTE dongle on 3. Got as far as it registering with the 3 network but doesn't give me internet browsing. any ideas? Am I missing anything blindingly obvious?

Hi Guys

Please can you help me I have a problem with an E1550, I have followed Bakedbeans procedure but it fails at No5 when it looks for networks.

I have seen posts about a switch to stop the automount but I'm not sure how this works (what is it?), do you run the switch from windows with the dongle attached?

I have also read about sending a string to the dongle :D whats that all about.

I know the dongle works on my pc ok.

Any chance of getting some of this stuff on You Tube.

Its all a bit Android, I mean alien to me at the moment he he, any help you guys can offer would be much appeciated and keep up the good work.

Guest Cozza

Hi guys made some progress, I downloaded PuTTY onto my PC, plugged in my E1550 and let it run as normal, looked in the device manager and I could see two Comms devices one on port 10 and one on 11, I ran PuTTY and entred com port 10 and it just came up with a black screen, tried same on 11 and it was running some info so I typed in the string and pressed return, the display showed OK I plugged the dongle into the vega and did the bakedbean routine on page 1 and it found a whole bunch of networks, I selected 3 as its a 3 dongle and it said somthing like registred and I have signal strength bars on the top menu bar. Now heres my question, I dont have any credit on this dongle is this why the blue light continues to flash rather than go to a solid blue.

I hope somone has the answer, cheers.

Edited by Cozza

Guest abhijeetv
Wow, that really is brilliant. :D

This works for a 3 UK E156G dongle (one of the black small stick ones). The only extra thing I had to do, as noted by others, was add in the APN for 3 (3internet) by hand.

Having a WiFi+3G tablet at the Vega's price is rather nice.....

Unfortunately, I cant get my 3 UK E156G dongle to work :D . I am able to create a new APN for 3 but it doesn't appear in the list when I save. I see the bars for mobile connection come up and disappear evry now and then. I am on Corvus 5 SP1.

Any idea how I can manually add the APN?

Cheers!

Guest Skip Tracer
Hi guys made some progress, I downloaded PuTTY onto my PC, plugged in my E1550 and let it run as normal, looked in the device manager and I could see two Comms devices one on port 10 and one on 11, I ran PuTTY and entred com port 10 and it just came up with a black screen, tried same on 11 and it was running some info so I typed in the string and pressed return, the display showed OK I plugged the dongle into the vega and did the bakedbean routine on page 1 and it found a whole bunch of networks, I selected 3 as its a 3 dongle and it said somthing like registred and I have signal strength bars on the top menu bar. Now heres my question, I dont have any credit on this dongle is this why the blue light continues to flash rather than go to a solid blue.

I hope somone has the answer, cheers.

I believe from memory that you can load the 3 network (my3) home page without credit.

This is so you can still top up with no credit on your account.

My 3 dongle flashes green (they must have diffrent colours for diffrent models) when its registered to the network and is never steady even with a strong signal.

Guest timik

Hi all,

I am using HUAWEI E180. I Haber the signal for 5 sec than disappear immediately because "Airplane Mode" switches to ON automatically.

Do you know how to fix that problem?

Rg

Guest Cozza
I believe from memory that you can load the 3 network (my3) home page without credit.

This is so you can still top up with no credit on your account.

My 3 dongle flashes green (they must have diffrent colours for diffrent models) when its registered to the network and is never steady even with a strong signal.

Hi Skip Tracer

I know when I put the dongle in the laptop once connected it stops flashing and goes a steady blue, and it goes to the three home page as you say, so you can top up your credit.

Perhaps somone else can come up with an answer, it does say registered with network but continues to flash.

MMMM so close yet so far any ideas? anyone....

Guest Cozza
Hi Skip Tracer

I know when I put the dongle in the laptop once connected it stops flashing and goes a steady blue, and it goes to the three home page as you say, so you can top up your credit.

Perhaps somone else can come up with an answer, it does say registered with network but continues to flash.

MMMM so close yet so far any ideas? anyone....

Ha Ha, look and you will find ! all the information is here you just need to look for it.

I got to the point where I had the signal strength bars but the light on the dongle was still flashing, I went back into the wireless settings following bakedbeans procedure and went into the Access Point Name and filled in the APN name which was in my case "3internet" as soon as I did this you see the 3G icion on the top menu bar and the light on the dongle went solid.

At this point my Vega was at the google home page but because my dongle has no credit any surfing took me straight to the 3 home page.

Chuffed to bits... I hope some of the info above helps if not dont give up the answer will be here somwhere in this forum.

Good luck all. :D

Guest abhijeetv
Unfortunately, I cant get my 3 UK E156G dongle to work :D . I am able to create a new APN for 3 but it doesn't appear in the list when I save. I see the bars for mobile connection come up and disappear evry now and then. I am on Corvus 5 SP1.

Any idea how I can manually add the APN?

Cheers!

Finally got it to work! Had to wait a while to see the 3 UK APN in the list. Then edited the name to 3internet and everything works!!

Thanks all!!

Guest gadgetshop
Ha Ha, look and you will find ! all the information is here you just need to look for it.

I got to the point where I had the signal strength bars but the light on the dongle was still flashing, I went back into the wireless settings following bakedbeans procedure and went into the Access Point Name and filled in the APN name which was in my case "3internet" as soon as I did this you see the 3G icion on the top menu bar and the light on the dongle went solid.

At this point my Vega was at the google home page but because my dongle has no credit any surfing took me straight to the 3 home page.

Chuffed to bits... I hope some of the info above helps if not dont give up the answer will be here somwhere in this forum.

Good luck all. :D

Can you post your apn settings that are working for you, i've tried several that i've found on internet sites but none seem to work

Cheers

Guest Cozza
Can you post your apn settings that are working for you, i've tried several that i've found on internet sites but none seem to work

Cheers

Hi, Yes with the dongle connected all you do is go to the screen where you turn on G3 Service Enabled and Data Enabled (Bakedbean procedure) touch the APN menu and it will most likely go to a blank screen with APN at the top if you touch on the menu button you will have the option to create a new APN, you will see a list of options to fill in the second one I think is the APN, I had to enter 3internet and then you will see a change on the top bar a G3 icon, if you try to leave the menu at this point it will prompt you to give this profile a name, Mobile Web will do, then you can get out of the menu.

Now you should shortly have a solid blue light on the dongle, G3 on the top bar and be able to get on the net, ensure your normal wireless is off.

Now if you turn it all off when you want to use the dongle again I have found that the G3 option turns off, so you have to go through Settings the Bakedbean option to navigate to the G3 enable turn that on and the dongle will connect shortly after.

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks to all the guys on the forum for the info, the Vega has just moved to the next level he he. I noticed in my PC world store the other day that they were doing a Vega with a 3G Dongle deal I wonder how they set it up? has anyone purcased this offer and if so how did you connect? Cheers all.

Guest gadgetshop

At last, after pulling my hair out for the last few days trying to connect my E220 following bakedbeans guide but with no joy, I can now surf using 3G. I boot/reboot to usb host then using an app called quick settings enable 3G and register network operater then using an app called apn manager I scroll down to 3internet and click to enable. Yippee 3G surfing or at least top up page but once I get credit there's no stopping me.

Big thanks to everyone

Guest Cozza
At last, after pulling my hair out for the last few days trying to connect my E220 following bakedbeans guide but with no joy, I can now surf using 3G. I boot/reboot to usb host then using an app called quick settings enable 3G and register network operater then using an app called apn manager I scroll down to 3internet and click to enable. Yippee 3G surfing or at least top up page but once I get credit there's no stopping me.

Big thanks to everyone

Good news

Its weird how there are so many workrounds to end up at the same conclusion, do 3 not do an option to top up so-many GB and when you use that up then top up again?

Enjoy

Guest npuk

Big thanks to everyone

Can you please post all your spn settings. Thanks.

Guest gadgetshop
Can you please post all your spn settings. Thanks.

Can't at the moment, I lent my dongle to a m8, his just packed in. If you download the apn manager off the market and scroll down it will give you a list of all operators, not just UK ones, and you just choose which one you need it will enable it automatically.

Guest Old Holborn
Can't at the moment, I lent my dongle to a m8, his just packed in. If you download the apn manager off the market and scroll down it will give you a list of all operators, not just UK ones, and you just choose which one you need it will enable it automatically.

Hm. Downloaded the APN manager and it says no APNS are stored, yet the 3internet APN is up and running on the Vega, insofar as the dongle is registered to the network, gives four bars, and the dongle light is static green.

any other tips?:

I'm registered, four bars showing, data enabled, static green light, yet no internet browsing.

Guest gadgetshop
Hm. Downloaded the APN manager and it says no APNS are stored, yet the 3internet APN is up and running on the Vega, insofar as the dongle is registered to the network, gives four bars, and the dongle light is static green.

any other tips?:

I'm registered, four bars showing, data enabled, static green light, yet no internet browsing.

Strange, when i open apn manager and click on apn list it opens a list of apn's, which in top left corner says 1378 apn's. I then scroll down and click on 3internet which then enables and away I go. I've just checked settings and it days

Apn = 3internet

Mcc = 234

Mnc = 20

Thats all everything else is empty

As for green light, I use a huawei e220 which when connected to vega it flashes blue not green and it shows 3G symbol with 2 flashing triangles in the status bar as well as signsl bars

Guest lifelines

I couldn't get my ZTE Corporation MF627 to work. Was almost giving up as for some reason it wasn't connecting to my mifi either (Huawei E5830) , flashed the advent vega with custom rom V8, made vega 'forget' the mifi networks & emptied some cache systems, no idea really what I was doing but when I connected again & entered the password this time the connection stayed, so happy as now when I'm away from home & my wifi I can still connect using my mifi :P

I love my vega more & more now & yesterday my friend who has an ipad needed to borrow my vega in order to view some photos on her memory stick ;)

Edited by lifelines

Guest emma18686

Hi hope someone can help i have got tmobile dongle have followed set up but when i get to connect tonetwork it shows error networks unavailabld any ideas? The usbis flashing green

Edited by emma18686

• 3 weeks later...
Guest photons
My stock Huawei E1550 on 3 doesn't work. I only get a blue flashing light & it can't find a network when I search for one.

I can confirm that my E1550 is also failing to get a connection. No network is detected.