New budget Android KING coming soon?

Guest Rotmann

The Blade has been a massive seller for ZTE, who's share of the market in the UK went from 2% to 8% in the space of a year, I expect them to knock out a blade + or similar sooner rather than later.

As for a replacement? Well I paid £70 for this phone, so a budget replacement better be near that price!

Guest Ricey155

Looks well made but im a real fan of the SF since i bought it and it works so id be hard pushed to move from it

be interesting to see if we get a dual processor blade in the future

Guest HypnoPig

I'm sure that in the future I'll be able to sell my Blade for at least £30, considering it cost me around £80 I hardly feel as if I'm being hard done by if a new phone replaces it as the budget device. The Blade is awesome because it attracts first time smart phone users (such as myself) and dedicated modders. For a phone to have the same appeal it really needs to be PAYG and no higher than £160.

Regardless, I bought the Blade as it was, and new phones don't make mine worse, well, by comparison they do but you understand what I mean ;)

Guest tttonyyy

The San Fran hits many sweet spots on cost, specs and modability - OK so that phone has a much sleeker looking case and probably much better camera - but unless it gets the same following at a similar price point, San Fran will remain king ;)

Looking good, but just imagine what ZTE are cooking up right now. They browse this forum so they must know what we want, and they know it will sell. Now's the time to step your game up ZTE! ;)

Guest Rotmann
I was thinking about t buy this instead of ZTE blade, but because price is more than double I chose Blade. I don't think this huawei is competitor for blade.

If the price goes down at the launch in the european markets, it will be a good competitor.

Doesn't look anything special to be honest and not a significant step up from the Blade. I'll stick with my AMOLED screen.

I do think this is a big step-up. Better camera, LED flash, 720p, Flash 10.1 support, 3,8" screen, better CPU.

According to the Tracy and Matt review it has 256MB RAM and the wifi is awful.

That was a pre-release 3 months ago, they mentioned it. And to be fair the Blade is not a Wi-Fi genius either ;) It has 512MB as reported by many CES developers

That's what a lot of pulse users said about the blade..

How wrong they were :D

I second that, look at THIS poll, so many people were so wrong, including the topic starter.

Yes. I'm buying a replacement and selling the Pulse [ 33 ] [9.59%]

Yes. I'm buying a new phone but keeping the Pulse [ 45 ] [13.08%]

No, but I'm still buying a new phone [ 9 ] [2.62%]

No, I'm keeping my pulse [ 224 ] [65.12%]

Bananas [ 33 ] [9.59%]

Total Votes: 344

It's just funny to see that the Blade is the most popular modaco device in such a short time, although people were very reticent at first. Also we have to admit that the results of this poll are way more realistic than the pulse ones.

So lots of talk about the 'Pulse killer' around the forums with a few people already selling up and moving on. Some people here will be getting worried though, wondering what will happen if all the Pulse devs get new phones.

Well I'm staying put. Yes, I'll probably buy the Orange SanFrancisco (ZTE Blade) but the Pulse will stay with me and I will continue to develop as much as I can for it.

So who is with me? Who is staying with our loveable little phone? It may be low on memory but it's big on love!

Device(s): ZTE Blade

I'm on a 24 month contract (About 1 year left)

I don't see any point in upgrading.. The next phone I'm going to get will be at least a mid-ranger, Couldn't stand another pulse ;)

Device(s): ZTE Blade

I dont see whats all the fuss about this ZTE Blade phone?

I mean sure its cheap entry android phone and its been out for like a week and it has SOME better specs then our Pulse,

BUT its a bit late for it imho, about a YEAR late.

Hehe, going by the sale and popularity and popularity I would not say this :)

I wont be leaving my pulse either, not for another extra year anyway

My sister however may be getting the zte blade/orange san Francisco and ill probably have a lot of chances to work on that as im always the guy who installs various tweaks on phones to improve the experience or speed

Device(s): ZTE Blade, Tmobile Pulse

If there is one thing I have learned in life, that is never say never. Times and things do change so fast.

Edited by Rotmann

• 3 weeks later...

I actually have the U8800 as my main phone for the moment. It's not as bad as I feared...

I paid €200 for it here in Norway, shipping included, no contract, and I have made a few videos of it (and with it) available here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/fjevel#p/a/u/2/NMrm4mYabLs

It runs everything I throw at it just as good as my Desire does, and I'd love to see Gingerbread ported to this device. (I'm running Oxygen RC7 on the Desire at the moment and I just love the tweaks they have done to the system over Froyo.)

-KJ

Guest Matty-p
I actually have the U8800 as my main phone for the moment. It's not as bad as I feared...

I paid €200 for it here in Norway, shipping included, no contract, and I have made a few videos of it (and with it) available here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/fjevel#p/a/u/2/NMrm4mYabLs

It runs everything I throw at it just as good as my Desire does, and I'd love to see Gingerbread ported to this device. (I'm running Oxygen RC7 on the Desire at the moment and I just love the tweaks they have done to the system over Froyo.)

-KJ

Interesting wich store?

Guest streather

If its twice the price of the blade that brings it into the range of like the motorola defy, and many many second hand high end handsets.

Given the choice i'd spend the cash on a nexus one instead of this huawei handset.

plus in past experience huawei handsets are pretty bad.

Guest Simon O

lol I was quoted.

I got absolutely fed up with Huawei and broken promises. The released a bug filled 2.1 ROM to operators then when users started complaining about the bugs they told everyone that the operators have released test roms which they shouldn't have. A massive lie to shift the blame from Huawei onto the operators and totally killed any trust I still had in them as a company.

It took absolutely ages to get them to release the cupcake kernel source and they only did after they were threatened with action for breaking the GPL. They refused to release kernel code for Eclair and it needed a lot of messing about and contact with T-Mobile to get them to do it in the end. Yeah I'm not very happy with Huawei so I'll not be interesting in this device.

ZTE may not make the best Android devices in the world but they support the community fully. They deserve my custom.

Huawei can jog on.

Guest Azurren
lol I was quoted.

I got absolutely fed up with Huawei and broken promises. The released a bug filled 2.1 ROM to operators then when users started complaining about the bugs they told everyone that the operators have released test roms which they shouldn't have. A massive lie to shift the blame from Huawei onto the operators and totally killed any trust I still had in them as a company.

It took absolutely ages to get them to release the cupcake kernel source and they only did after they were threatened with action for breaking the GPL. They refused to release kernel code for Eclair and it needed a lot of messing about and contact with T-Mobile to get them to do it in the end. Yeah I'm not very happy with Huawei so I'll not be interesting in this device.

ZTE may not make the best Android devices in the world but they support the community fully. They deserve my custom.

Huawei can jog on.

2nded

And what about the fact that their "Official 2.1 Update" which we waited forever for never even worked :P

It had an SmS issue where some texts would just get ignored completely. So.. Unusable really

Then after some of us complained to T-Mobile about releasing a faulty update (Hoping for a Hot-Fix) they just removed it completely! So we never got our promised official 2.1 update! :D

Oh and if it wasn't for Fibblesan the Pulse never would have been usable after 1.5 <3

Edited by Azurren

Guest leetron1

When you look at this makes nearly £200 seem a tad steep..

Paid £69 for my SF..nothing can compare esp. with CM7 as a daily ROM prob not too far off>>

Edited by leetron1

Guest Simon O
2nded

And what about the fact that their "Official 2.1 Update" which we waited forever for never even worked :P

It had an SmS issue where some texts would just get ignored completely. So.. Unusable really

Then after some of us complained to T-Mobile about releasing a faulty update (Hoping for a Hot-Fix) they just removed it completely! So we never got our promised official 2.1 update! :D

Oh and if it wasn't for Fibblesan the Pulse never would have been usable after 1.5 <3

That p'ssed me off when they removed it and claimed it was a beta that shouldn't have been released, completely missing the fact that every single 2.1 ROM for all U8220 devices had exactly the same problem.

Basically it was a device underpowered to run cupcake. 192mb RAM seriously??

Guest Matty-p
When you look at this makes nearly £200 seem a tad steep..

Paid £69 for my SF..nothing can compare esp. with CM7 as a daily ROM prob not too far off>>

jeeez a BRAND NEW desire for 250 and to think i was just about to get either this huiwe crud or a second hand nexus one for the same amount 2-300 £

and a wildfire for 129.99 niiice

Guest Rotmann
i won't buy it :P

it' twice the blade price (129 £)

The blade price for normal mortals is 99£, it is not twice the price but really ok. Where did you see the 129£ price tag?

@rapidone - false information, that's not the x5 for 199€, that's an inferior overpriced model.

Guest Matty-p
The blade price for normal mortals is 99£, it is not twice the price but really ok. Where did you see the 129£ price tag?

@rapidone - false information, that's not the x5 for 199€, that's an inferior overpriced model.

probably means the blade is 129 pretty pountless then if the desire brand nesw is just 249

Definitely looks like it could be a nice upgrade. I'm missing a decent camera and camera flash with my San Fran to some degree and it looks like this has that covered. I'd also like to have a newer CPU for stuff like Flash support and Google earth, and this has a Snapdragon (ARMv7). If its cheap enough I might go for it, but I'll definitely be waiting for plenty of reviews first.

Guest Buchtis

Jus ta heads up to anyone thinking about getting this phone. The HTC Desire is currently £249.99 on PayAsYouGo at Phones4U and it's unlocked. HTC phones will come down in price (i'm assuming so with the upcoming launch of their new phones on the 13th) so i'd suggest you get one of those instead of the Huawei.

Guest Azurren
Jus ta heads up to anyone thinking about getting this phone. The HTC Desire is currently £249.99 on PayAsYouGo at Phones4U and it's unlocked. HTC phones will come down in price (i'm assuming so with the upcoming launch of their new phones on the 13th) so i'd suggest you get one of those instead of the Huawei.

Just wait until the dual core devices come-out

Prices should drop on Snapdragons :P

Even more so when the later HTC phones come out

Guest Phoenix Silver
Just wait until the dual core devices come-out

Prices should drop on Snapdragons :P

Even more so when the later HTC phones come out

have you seen the new LG optimus 2X

dual core snapdragon

8 nvidia gpus for the video

How can you make that recommendation without knowing the price of the X5? Or has the retail price been announced?

I'm not that big a fan of the HTC phones personally.

Edited by Teasy