22/May [GUIDE] How to Install a Custom ROM on the ZTE Blade [GEN1]

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest StevenHarperUK
Just wanted to send my utmost thanks for the fantastic guide. Everything went exactly as planned and my fiance is very pleased!

Good to hear - I think she will see a slight difference from her blackberry.

Guest StevenHarperUK

Latest Update

13th February - Added help on running updates for Recovery Manager

Important - if you are installing a new ROM or recovery - run the Update in Recovery Manager FIRST

Guest Jaminben

Recovery manager isn't working for me, getting the following:

Sorry! The application Recovery Manager (process com.podtwo.Recoverymanager) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

This is what I have done so far:

1) Installed Universalandroot

2) Launced it and chose Go Root (left it all as default 2-2.2 android or whatever) it said woot your device is rooted

3) I Installed ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager, allowed the ZTE-Blade Recovery Manager App to have Superuser Rights, then chose Install Recovery

4) Turned off my phone and took out the SD card to put my Japanese Jellyfish zip file onto it

5) Turned my phone back on and haven't been able to get into recovery manager since

Is my phone even rooted? Because its still full of orange stuff, I still have the Orange logo come up when I turn it on, all the background is still orange etc. but I have followed the steps word for word, all I have done is turn my phone off and remove the SD card to put the ROM onto it.

Guest Jaminben

Nevermind, I've got it all working again by completely redoing the steps, but now the MD5's are different!??!?!?! But everything I have downloaded has been from the links here!!!

This is unbelievably annoying, I know I'm useless with technology but I've followed everything word for word! Even used all the same links!

These are the two files which have different MD5's:

Recovery Clockwork:

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...blade-oled-tft/

Japanese Jellyfish:

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...01-24-oled-tft/

Why???

Guest Len Ash

A couple of suggestions for the front page (I don't have the answers though!).

When reflashing a ROM (say JJ RLS9 for arguments sake), and both cache and data/factory clears are done, the ROM settings (WiFi/Haptic/Volume etc) are retained - how can these be cleared. There are a number of options in CW that state things like format /system, /data etc - should these be used? Perhaps a guide on what all the options in CW are for would be useful?

Secondly, on some ROMs I use, many of the apps I previously used/downloaded on other builds imediately get reloaded from the market... which I may or may not want. Why and how can this be stopped/enabled/re-enabled?

Cheers...

Guest StevenHarperUK
A couple of suggestions for the front page (I don't have the answers though!).

When reflashing a ROM (say JJ RLS9 for arguments sake), and both cache and data/factory clears are done, the ROM settings (WiFi/Haptic/Volume etc) are retained - how can these be cleared. There are a number of options in CW that state things like format /system, /data etc - should these be used? Perhaps a guide on what all the options in CW are for would be useful?

Secondly, on some ROMs I use, many of the apps I previously used/downloaded on other builds imediately get reloaded from the market... which I may or may not want. Why and how can this be stopped/enabled/re-enabled?

Cheers...

1st one : They should be cleared with the WIPE - strange I have not seen this

2nd : This is a Google Feature when the ROM (2.2) first runs - its says something like - App backup google - and is enabled by default - I always uncheck it.

Guest Len Ash
1st one : They should be cleared with the WIPE - strange I have not seen this

2nd : This is a Google Feature when the ROM (2.2) first runs - its says something like - App backup google - and is enabled by default - I always uncheck it.

This happens - there must be something retained in "memory" somewhere. I used to think that a full wipe of cache and data/reset would clear everything - it doesn't - the settings remain.... worryingly.

I uncheck too, it still does it which is a pain in the ass. How can you stop the Market doing it though, if the phone won't do it? Or, I suppose, which apk is it necessary to remove from the build to prevent it?

Edited by Len Ash

Guest ronc2000

Thank everyone on this site.

Being able to unlock and and update to froyo is the only reason I decided to buy this phone.

I have yet to receive my phone.

I have read from the first page.

Am I right in assuming that the first post (from Jan 18) is up to date and current as there had been many changes since?

Guest Super Ted
Ok Everyone?

I know its a big change, but its time to move with the times.

Any veterans who would like to follow my guide word for word and see if I made any mistakes please do so,

likewise if anyone gets stuck - or thinks it could be clearer please please please post.

I've just bought this today. Already unblocked it from Orange and am going to follow your guides to root it. I've had my desire for a year and so know a bit about rooting. Just interested to see if this is as easy to do. Thanks for your very informative guide.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thank everyone on this site.

Being able to unlock and and update to froyo is the only reason I decided to buy this phone.

I have yet to receive my phone.

I have read from the first page.

Am I right in assuming that the first post (from Jan 18) is up to date and current as there had been many changes since?

Yes it's up to date :

If you have any problems with recovery manager - read though its thread

If you have any problems with clockwork - read through its thread

If you have any problems with the ROM read through the ROMS thread

There is a Newer version of Clockwork 3.0.0.5 - but it doesn't support ALL ROMS (the older ones are packaged differently)

If your putting on a new ROM (any of the 2.2's) then you can use the latest Clockwork

There is a Newer version of Recovery Manager - I suggest you use it - it works with any ROMs.

Also run the UPDATE in the ROM and Firmware tabs.

Guest StevenHarperUK
I've just bought this today. Already unblocked it from Orange and am going to follow your guides to root it. I've had my desire for a year and so know a bit about rooting. Just interested to see if this is as easy to do. Thanks for your very informative guide.

I have done 3 Desires - the new ones are even fiddlyer

You will be amazed how easy a Blade is to ROM - its like ZTE knew it would help sell phones.

Guest Super Ted
I have done 3 Desires - the new ones are even fiddlyer

You will be amazed how easy a Blade is to ROM - its like ZTE knew it would help sell phones.

Ahh slight problem. I've rooted and installed clockworkmod. Now I want to backup, I'm guessing I can do that through clockwork as normal, but I wanted to try it through Recovery Manager. I'm getting force closes every time I try and load Recovery Manager though. Universal Androot says I'm still rooted though. Any ideas?

This phone's for the girlfriend, so I was going to put Japanese Jellyfish on it (seems most people have that). Good idea? She'll just want it for facebook, email, text, phone, games.

Edit: I re-rooted and that seems to solve it. Weird.

Edited by Super Ted

Guest aequalszero

This guide worked for great for me (used Recovery Manager 0.34b and Clockwork v3.0.0.5 instead, though). Really excellent work!

The only part I take issue with is when the guide suddenly goes out of order. If you're installing Clockwork v3, then you have to read ahead to know to update the database in Recovery Manager. I don't know if this is a serious issue, but it could lead to confusion. Why not just make updating the database part of the main guide? Then you could get rid of those 'problems' paragraphs.

Would it hurt to update the database if you were planning to install Clockwork v2.5?

Guest ronc2000

Flashing multiple phones with TPT.

If I want to flash more than one phone with TPT, can I use the same SD card into another phone and flash the 2nd phone?

For the same theory, can I put different roms in separate SD cards, and flash different roms as/when I want, just by inserting the SD card with specific rom?

Guest StevenHarperUK

Latest Update

19th February - Updated instructions to MoDaCo r12, Updated newest version of Clockwork to 3.0.0.6, removed problem instructions out of step 1 and 2

Guest StevenHarperUK

If I want to flash more than one phone with TPT, can I use the same SD card into another phone and flash the 2nd phone?

For the same theory, can I put different roms in separate SD cards, and flash different roms as/when I want, just by inserting the SD card with specific rom?

Yes you can keep using the same SD Card for each TPT - best that it is empty with only the install directory and TPT files on it.

Yes if your using TPT, with clockworks its the same, but you have to boot into clockwork flash the ROM (select update file) then probably WIPE

Guest StevenHarperUK
This guide worked for great for me (used Recovery Manager 0.34b and Clockwork v3.0.0.5 instead, though). Really excellent work!

The only part I take issue with is when the guide suddenly goes out of order. If you're installing Clockwork v3, then you have to read ahead to know to update the database in Recovery Manager. I don't know if this is a serious issue, but it could lead to confusion. Why not just make updating the database part of the main guide? Then you could get rid of those 'problems' paragraphs.

Would it hurt to update the database if you were planning to install Clockwork v2.5?

Nice - your already out of date :D 3.0.0.6 is out now.

Thanks for the feedback - I have moved the instructions up into the flow and removed the Problems where necessary.

I have also added some stuff about sorting out Recovery Manager (when its force closes)

and No - updating the database should be ok when installing with clockwork 2.5.x

Guest 90180360

The absolute best way to flash a lot of phones is Phone Flasher. Can't understand why so few use it.