[UPDATED]Performance Tweaks etc on Android!.

Guest gauravv

Guest Superwuppy

Hi

after loats of install fails it finely works

but when i make a phonecall the call ends when

phone switch screen off to black

i thought this bug was fixed

what did i mis ?

or dit i do wrong cause phone works great no more warning massages

of services that stopt running even 3G is fast enough for now.

downloading and installing works with no problem.

i installed like explained in the english/dutch post #306 and #039

Thanks for reply

(do not say anything about my english please cause i am not.)

Guest JapyDooge

I did not get Beta2 to work yet but the 'old' version without the updates works from internal storage now :D

Lots faster than my class2 sdhc card

Edit: My 2G/3G is not working at all.

I can call, i can receive calls but there is no way of getting online.

Also i can't connect using wifi or bluetooth.

Does anyone have any idea about what can be wrong? :D

Edit2: nvm, i needed to setup an APN, and that was a bit tricky with the not-working keyboard layout lol.

Edited by JapyDooge

A little tip here

I found I was increasingly having problems with instability, and difficulty in reinstalling. I reckoned it was an issue with the SDcard. Constantly handling the cards causes a build up of grease and contaminants on the card gold contacts and the socket in the phone. I put a small drop of isopropyl alcohol on the SDcard and inserted it several times in the slot before withdrawing it and allowing all the alcohol to evaporate before powering on the phone. A full install then progressed without problems.

I think the heavy data flow between the phone and the SDcard is very dependent on this connection.

vic

Guest elbee72
I did not get Beta2 to work yet but the 'old' version without the updates works from internal storage now :D

Lots faster than my class2 sdhc card

Edit: My 2G/3G is not working at all.

I can call, i can receive calls but there is no way of getting online.

Also i can't connect using wifi or bluetooth.

Does anyone have any idea about what can be wrong? :D

Wifi is not supported (yet) on B7610.

Bluetooth is not supported (yet) on I8000 and B7610.

If beta2 is not working for you, you can use beta1, but make sure:

* you got latest beta1 files and updates from develop site and "2d/3d drivers" in o2bupdate.tgz from elsewhere

* you boot haret.exe from "My Storage"/beta once to install to SD-card

* you boot haret.exe from "My Storage"/ once with 2d/3d o2bupdate.tgz present once, to update the 2d/3d drivers, check if file is deleted automaticly other wise it is not installed.

* you boot haret.exe from "My Storage"/ once with o2bupdate.tgz present from develop site, to update several issues like 3g, check if file is deleted automaticly other wise it is not installed.

* after a few boots try to get internet connection (set your APN)

* after a few boots set up you google account

* after a few boots start market and wait till it gets updated

* just an extra reboot ;-)

should be working

Some extra notes:

* install on MyStorage is not supported for beta (will work, but can be tricky), better get a fast SD-card and format it to fat and do regular install

* look at issue 6 on project site for update B7610 keyboard, you keyboard will work, but can improve stability on b7610 because of unmapped gpio pins.

Good luck ;-)

Guest JapyDooge

elbee thanks for the information :)

I have beta1 running with all updates and 2D/3D drivers, 3G and a working market now :D

Oh and it runs from my internal storage, it's lots faster this way :D but still a bit unstable (not sure how to fix that, it hangs now and then).

Thanks all you for all the given information so far :)

Edit: oh yea, installing the patches was a bit of work, for some reason they did not install theirself so i installed them by hand by mounting my internal storage over the USB cable when in Windows Mobile (make sure to set the USB connection to 'Mass storage' using Samsung Settings if you want to try this).

I run Arch linux so it was'nt to hard to get everything to work. I chroot'ed into my Android install once (mv lib libdroid, mv bin bindroid, copy local lib and bin, chroot, rm lib and bin from android, mv back the backupped ones) to change the paths to /bin/su (as normaly o2bupdate.sh would do).

Edit2: "The process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." i'm getting that now and then, and random hangs. That's the only remaining issue so far.

Edited by JapyDooge

Guest elbee72
elbee thanks for the information :)

I have beta1 running with all updates and 2D/3D drivers, 3G and a working market now :D

Oh and it runs from my internal storage, it's lots faster this way :D but still a bit unstable (not sure how to fix that, it hangs now and then).

Thanks all you for all the given information so far :)

Edit: oh yea, installing the patches was a bit of work, for some reason they did not install theirself so i installed them by hand by mounting my internal storage over the USB cable when in Windows Mobile (make sure to set the USB connection to 'Mass storage' using Samsung Settings if you want to try this).

I run Arch linux so it was'nt to hard to get everything to work. I chroot'ed into my Android install once (mv lib libdroid, mv bin bindroid, copy local lib and bin, chroot, rm lib and bin from android, mv back the backupped ones) to change the paths to /bin/su (as normaly o2bupdate.sh would do).

Edit2: "The process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." i'm getting that now and then, and random hangs. That's the only remaining issue so far.

do you use the update kernel/files from issue 6?

do you mean by random hangs "sleep of death" (not waking up), "not reponding" boxes or freeze with screen on (need to pull battery)?

Guest JapyDooge
do you use the update kernel/files from issue 6?

Hmm i'm not sure, i'm using the kernel from http://o2droid.phj.hu/index_en.php 2011-02-09

do you mean by random hangs "sleep of death" (not waking up), "not reponding" boxes or freeze with screen on (need to pull battery)?

All three of them :D the not responding only for android.process.media but i have random freezes with both screen on and off. Not that often tho :D

I have my 3G and Market working now, i can browse the market but when i try to install something i get the android.process.media crash screen and it keeps 'downloading' infinitely.

Edit: i can call and receive calls but i can not send sms messages :)

Edited by JapyDooge

Guest ashwin Bhagwandin
good to hear it is working. download the app RotateD in market. it makes 2 buttons landscape and portrait works like a charme

greets tjeerdos

dankje! , well it was a pain to get it working, as i read much posts about the instability i reccomend everyone to install android on My Storage instead of a SD-Card.

i don't have any errors nor reboots. 3G is working just fine, the clock works fine (@ gmt+0) the keyboard works fine, however i found out that the devs used a 320x240 rom instead of a 800x480 screen, so media is displayed in 800x480 but the GUI is displayed in 240x320 :D

I'm gonna try the internal storage installation method, i hope that works better and is more stable for me :D

Did anyone try the beta2 installer yet?

do the My Storage method, and yes, use the latest beta2 installer (with the 2d/3d update)

everything should be fine, I WILL POST THE MANUAL

one note for you: change the mmcblk0p1 in the default.txt to mmcblk0p6 if it doesn't work!

Guest ashwin Bhagwandin

OK,here is what I did:

1.Install VMWare Player

2.Download UBUNTU 32 bit version from here http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

3.Install Ubuntu

4.Download & install MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition

5.Take your phone ,go to Samsung Settings USB settings and set USB Connection to My Storage

6.Back up your My Storage to Storage Card (or you will loose all data there)

7.Connect the phone to the PC-> it will connect like mass storage device

8.Open MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition,select the Storage device Samsung and delete the partition->then click create and create 1020 Mb(in my case of 2 GB Internal Storage) FAT 32 partition(give it a name like disk0 without space),there will be left about 1 GB unallocated storage->select right button,click create partition format EXT2 (or EXT3) with a name like disk and select APPLY!->your My Storage will be formatted!!!you will see only 1 GB Storage device in My Computer in Windows.

(EDIT: You can format in the UBUNTU also with Disk Utility ,but first use Unmount storage.)

9.Copy the entire beta1024 folder content on the root of the storage device in Windows! ,not the folder,the content with Android files: ext2.targz default.txt zImage o2beta folder Haret.exe and o2bupdate.tar.gz

10.Disconnect phone & launch VMWare Player and run UBUNTU.

11.connect the phone, it will be recognized like android storage device.

12.In the Ubuntu go to Applications-Accessories run Terminal,--> write down this:

sudo cp /media/disk0/ext2.tar.gz /media/disk/ and wait untill finishes

after that write:

cd /media/disk/ there will be a line like : cd /media/disk$

you must write down this after this line:

sudo tar xzvf ext2.tar.gz -C /media/disk

(edit: you can also extract all you o2bupdate.tar.gz to system with above methods)

And you go,all the content of ext2.tar.gz will be extracted to disk (in this case Android partition) -> at the end of extraction unplug the phone from PC

13.Turn of the VMWare Plater & Ubuntu, plug the USB with the phone to PC again and edit the line:

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/init" to this:

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 init=/init"[/b and save it (EDIT: if you get kernel panic you can try mmcblk0p6 ,or mmcblk0p2 if you have a ext3 partition)

14.Unplug phone -> and run Haret exe from the root of My Storage not from inside o2beta folder

And you are ready to test

SOURCE: Quato7906

Guest JapyDooge

Well i gave beta2 another try:

I was already using the first beta, running from my internal storage so what i did to update was this:

- I connected my device (using the USB cable and when in Windows) to my desktop, wich is running Arch linux

- I deleted the contents of my Android partition

- I copied the contents of the ext2.tar.gz from the Beta2_1024 download (2011-02-11) to the Android partition of my phone

- I copied the 2D/3D drivers in the /system/lib/egl folder

- I've put my MicroSDHC card in a cardreader in my pc and replaced the kernel image with the one from the Beta2_1024 download (2011-02-11)

- I checked my default.txt, wich was the same as the default.txt in the Beta2_1024 download (2011-02-11) except for the partition reference

- Clean unmounted everything, placed the MicroSDHC card in my phone, rebooted my phone

- Ran haret.exe from the MicroSDHC card

It booted all the way up to the animated Android logo wich kept moving for almost 5 minutes and then freezed.

I waited a few more minutes but the device seemed dead so i did a softreset to get back into Windows and ran haret.exe again.

This time it also booted all the way up to the Android logo except that i was getting a "We are sorry!" notice, i guess because there was a bootlog found, as the message states. I waited 5 minutes and slowly my devices screen became scrambled with random colored pixels, as it would look on a graphics card with defective memory.

I rebooted again and ran haret, this time it also booted all the way up to the Android logo and stated again that 'They were sorry!' :D but kept showing that screen for 10 minutes or so, this time without the scrambled screen output.

The last step can be reproduced over and over, sometimes with scrambled screen output and sometimes not, it won't boot further.

What did i forget or where did i go wrong? :D

Edit:

I also tried to boot Beta2 with the kernel from o2bupdate.zip (2011-02-09) and o2droid.zip (2011-01-31); both no luck, same errors.

Edited by JapyDooge

Guest ashwin Bhagwandin

maybe a wise thing to do is, clear everything regarding the Beta1 create NEW partitions and install from scratch

it seems that something is f*cked up pretty bad.

could you let us know wether it was succesfull or not ?

Edited by ashwin Bhagwandin

Guest ashwin Bhagwandin

hmmmmm try the way i did it. so ubuntu 10.10 in vmware and so on

use only the latest beta_1024 installer from the original page, and then use the 2d/3d updates and keyboard

edit: i am confused why they used a non 800x480 eclair rom as omnia2 has 800x480 too :D

Guest erikcas

Two days stable now. No Sleep to Death, no troubles waking up, although I allways have to press the powerbutton first. Stable since Advanced Task Killer (autokill), CPUboost and autokiller memory optimizer from market installed. Batterylife oke (can allways be better :D) 40% after twelve hours of whatsapping, facebooking, reading twitters, mailing and Modaco reading.

This afternoon the phone warmed up. Okay, I had facebook, twitter, mail and Modaco open, was searching on Market when receiving and aswering a phonecall.

I can live with this progression.

grtz Erik

Edited by erikcas

Guest ashwin Bhagwandin
Two days stable now. No Sleep to Death, no troubles waking up, although I allways have to press the powerbutton first. Stable since Advanced Taskmanager (autokill), CPUboost and autokiller memory optimizer from market installed. Batterylife oke (can allways be better :D) 40% after twelve hours of whatsapping, facebooking, reading twitters, mailing and Modaco reading.

This afternoon the phone warmed up. Okay, I had facebook, twitter, mail and Modaco open, was searching on Market when receiving and aswering a phonecall.

I can live with this progression.

grtz Erik

hmm i am going to try this, which settings are you using (if i may ask)

hmm market hangs @Checking username availability damn:P

Guest erikcas
hmm i am going to try this, which settings are you using (if i may ask)

hmm market hangs @Checking username availability damn:P

In Advanced Task Killer (edited my post) I unchecked Advanced Task Killer, CPUBoost and Whatsapp (I prefer not to kill Whatsapp). In settings, enable Autokill, I set it to "when screen off"

CPUBoost --> advanced settings --> Screen on/off profile

Screen on/off checked

Screen off Max 384000

Screen off Min 245000

Memory Optimizer:

Settings --> presets --> moderate

Don't you have a google-account to enter Market? :D

Edit: Forgot to mention: After install Advanced Task Killer (which I installed last) I first unchecked the apps I previous mentioned, and ticked "Kill selected Apps".

First few times I installed, I didn't do so, and first sleep was sleep of death. So kill apps manually before first sleep!

Good Luck, I'm very interested in your findings!

grtz Erik

Edited by erikcas

Guest ashwin Bhagwandin
In Advanced Task Killer (edited my post) I unchecked Advanced Task Killer, CPUBoost and Whatsapp (I prefer not to kill Whatsapp). In settings, enable Autokill, I set it to "when screen off"

CPUBoost --> advanced settings --> Screen on/off profile

Screen on/off checked

Screen off Max 384000

Screen off Min 245000

Memory Optimizer:

Settings --> presets --> moderate

Don't you have a google-account to enter Market? :D

Edit: Forgot to mention: After install Advanced Task Killer (which I installed last) I first unchecked the apps I previous mentioned, and ticked "Kill selected Apps".

First few times I installed, I didn't do so, and first sleep was sleep of death. So kill apps manually before first sleep!

Good Luck, I'm very interested in your findings!

grtz Erik

heey hallo :D

i'm going to install the mentioned apps right now, let's see wat happens:O

EDIT: i needed to restart Android in order to create an account in market, something went wrong most likely

Guest erikcas
heey hallo :D

i'm going to install the mentioned apps right now, let's see wat happens:O

EDIT: i needed to restart Android in order to create an account in market, something went wrong most likely

If you have already setup a Google account (like @gmail.com) you can sign in with it.

Guest ashwin Bhagwandin
If you have already setup a Google account (like @gmail.com) you can sign in with it.

i didn't have one, i have my hotmail and my own domain, so i never thought i will create a google account :D

btw i never got a sleep of death, if the buttons doesn't work i press some keys of the qwerty and it lights up straight away:O that is quite funny

installing cpuboostlite now, it says that i need a rooted device, are we rooted?

all installed, hmm it seems that less memory is available in android compared to WM6.1,,, strange as i read some stuff about android being mega lightweight :D

Edit: indeed, wake up is way faster then usual , however the UI lags a bit, our cpu is well capable of running android i think, and my storage is way faster compared to a regular SD card>

Guest Jamievanm

My Beta 2 runs fine on SD too.

Though it has sleep of death sometimes.

Most of time, hitting HW keyboard wakes it up.

Market, 3g, whatsapp. All working fine. Contacts from sim imported.

Also using keyboard file, almost perfect. !

Edited by Jamievanm

Hello People..

Can someone help me pls...

Can't get this whole haret job working...

I've formated my Storage Card ( wich is 8 GB ) as FAT32 with 4096 cluster set.

Then connected my phone & copied the following into the root of My Storage:

(beta2_1024.zip)

O2beta folder

ext2.tar.gz

default.txt

haret.exe

zImage

after i did that i start haret from O2beta it looks like everything went fine, then it says something with rebooting in 10 secs, after that it says kill reboot in 30 secs.

after the reboot part i start haret from the root of my storage then it says OK! ipc... after that i see my screen goes black and then the phone reboots :S

what do i do wrong...

Hello People..

I've formated my Storage Card ( wich is 8 GB ) as FAT32 with 4096 cluster set.

Then connected my phone & copied the following into the root of My Storage:

(beta2_1024.zip)

O2beta folder

ext2.tar.gz

default.txt

haret.exe

zImage

after i did that i start haret from O2beta it looks like everything went fine, then it says something with rebooting in 10 secs, after that it says kill reboot in 30 secs.

after the reboot part i start haret from the root of my storage then it says OK! ipc... after that i see my screen goes black and then the phone reboots :S

what do i do wrong...

Guest erikcas
Hello People..

what do i do wrong...

You doubleposted.. This is posted many times :D

In WinMo: Copy 2d3d driver update from first page from i8000 thread to root of your "my storage" (where your haret.exe resides, not in O2beta-folder.)

Rename to 02b2update.tar.gz

Run haret and Android will boot.

Cause: 2d3d are not included in installation, as far as I understand the devs are not allowed to by Samsung.

grtz Erik

Edited by erikcas

Hi i am new to this forum please guide me. :D

I cant get it install, i have read your all instructions given at 'http://o2droid.phj.hu/index_en.php' and followed it in correct manner.

my phone is samsung Omnia pro B7610 (win mo 6.1).

I have downloaded 1024 MB image of the package.

The haret.exe from the 'o2beta dir'. stats and formated my SD mmc card & 'untar the ext2.tar.gz to my mmc card '

after this it says done rebooting now .... next it says 'panic = kill init = init.'

rebooting in 30 sec.

after rebooting to win i run the 'haret.exe 'from the root of the my storage

it goes all the way and hangs at 'IPC TRSFER START OK'

after this my phone restarts and again win mo is starting. :D