Screen off = WiFi off :(

Guest TerryH

If you are referring to a 'partial wake lock' then I have a feeling the Vega does not adhere to it for whatever reason, I have tried many apps using this method to keep the device alive during standby with no success.

I was indeed, that is really strange. I'll have a go tonight and see what happens

Guest AndyCr15
Are you saying you would rather it didn't?

Yes.

Are you saying you like a blank screen that you press and stuff goes on without you seeing it?

Personally, I'd love a stanby mode that means I can put it in my bag, or under my arm but it keeps the WiFi connection. If the screen is responsive still, for all I know I tweet a picture of my arm pit...

Guest rvdgeer
Yes.

Are you saying you like a blank screen that you press and stuff goes on without you seeing it?

Personally, I'd love a stanby mode that means I can put it in my bag, or under my arm but it keeps the WiFi connection. If the screen is responsive still, for all I know I tweet a picture of my arm pit...

As far as I know, it's a capacitive touchscreen, which means you need to press it with a (living) body part or a very special stylus...

That means you don't need to worry about accidentally pressing it while it's in a bag/case...

Guest Sir Gash

Me too, but unless we have Kernel source it isn't likely, although I think the WiFi has been updated slightly in the 1.08 system image from Advent, who knows, they may have fixed it! I'm waiting for R7 before trying it out though.

Maybe MrChaz will get lucky and get his app working for us!

Guest AndyCr15
As far as I know, it's a capacitive touchscreen, which means you need to press it with a (living) body part or a very special stylus...

That means you don't need to worry about accidentally pressing it while it's in a bag/case...

Yes, but what about when I pick it up, there's a very good chance my thumb will stray onto the screen real estate...

Guest Sir Gash
I was indeed, that is really strange. I'll have a go tonight and see what happens

Hi MrChaz, just curious if you had time to try this out? Keeping my fingers crossed!

Hi MrChaz, just curious if you had time to try this out? Keeping my fingers crossed!

Yeah, it does seem to do something to kill the wifi despite my requesting a wakelock and a wifilock

Guest rvdgeer

This morning I walked into the office with the Vega (actually PoV Mobii TEGRA 10) in my bag, when I heard it play a notification sound...

When I opened my back and looked at it, the screen was off...

After turning it on, it had an email notification icon at the notification bar..

But also the Wifi-signal icon was showing, meaning it had picked up the Wifi network when walking in...

To me this looks like Wifi was on all the time, even with the screen turned off...

How else would it be able to pick up a Wifi signal, collect new mail an notify me about it?

I have the Advent 1.08 ROM with the MCR r6 Add-On + performance pack...

I made no changes to Wifi whatsoever, as far as I'm aware...

:lol:

This morning I walked into the office with the Vega (actually PoV Mobii TEGRA 10) in my bag, when I heard it play a notification sound...

When I opened my back and looked at it, the screen was off...

After turning it on, it had an email notification icon at the notification bar..

But also the Wifi-signal icon was showing, meaning it had picked up the Wifi network when walking in...

To me this looks like Wifi was on all the time, even with the screen turned off...

How else would it be able to pick up a Wifi signal, collect new mail an notify me about it?

I have the Advent 1.08 ROM with the MCR r6 Add-On + performance pack...

I made no changes to Wifi whatsoever, as far as I'm aware...

:lol:

Question - how is your mail account setup - do you fetch mail every X min?

Edit: I'm asking because as I'm aware iPad tends to establish wifi connection regularly, if the e-mail client is configured to fetch new mails at intervals. Would be interesting if Vega has the same concept.

By the way how it is done on the Android phones - what happens when the device enters standby, if the cellular data is disabled and wifi enabled?

Edited by DLCI