I want an app for...

Guest Frankish

Guest womble_sanfran
Calendar Pad (Free and Pro) - Calendar with best monthview

Pro version is customizable with other colours.

calpad.jpg

What extra settings do you get by going pro? Their website is not very specific about what extras I will get by paying them some money.

Guest IronDoc
No mate, actually looking for something that acts as a voicemail. Here in my country, no operators provide visual voicemail and the traditional voicemail is not user friendly at all. So looking for something that will answer my calls based on conditions, play a recorded message and record the caller's response and save it.

Hullomail?

Anyone know of a nice minimalist email widget? Preferably compatible with Seven and configurable font colour.

Guest The Soup Thief

I really like the LAN features on EStrongs File Explorer which let me browse and download files wirelessly from my PC to my phone - kinda means I never need to plug it into the computer anymore or mount the SD card, which is gonna save wear and tear on the micro USB connector. I only plug it in to get electricity out of the wall - if anyone has an app to fix this, please PM me :lol:

Hell of a lot easier to shift files around, and free too

Reciprocally, I've been using SwiFTP to wirelessly squirt things from my PC to the phone

Add ons for Astro do the same but for some reason I found it a bit harder to configure correctly (my shortcomings, rather than Astro's, I'm sure)

Currency Convertor is extremely helpful if you travel quite a bit - best currency app I've used, and free (I've tried lots)

RealCalc is my fave caluclator

As mentioned earlier, Tasker's brill for making things happen a bit more easily, eg I plug in my headphones and the radio plays my fave station straight away etc (other people manage much more interesting things, eg automatically texting the wife to put the kettle on whenever you're within 10 minutes of home on a workday between 6 and 8pm...)

These apps maybe a bit geeky, but I've embraced my inner nerd :)

RD3 is a great drum sequencer to noodle with

GTunes music is a smashing little app, though it's a bit dodgy ethically

Would really like to see an Android port of the iPhone Jamie Oliver app, which has recipes, but also has a shopping list app and allows you to tick off what you have already. Out of Milk is kind of useful but doesn't have the recipes bit

EDIT: someone asked about Titanium Backup - free vs paid versions. Free works, but if you need to restore / backup more than a couple of dozen apps it tends to hang unpredictably. The paid version is smooth as custard and hasn't fallen over yet, even when I ask it to bulk restore / backup a couple of hundred items at once. Also when restoring, while the free version makes you re-approve the permissions for each app, the paid version figures that you'd approved em once and so doesn't ask you to approve them the second time, which saves hours of sitting there staring at the screen and clicking accept for each app. A fiver or so is a bargain in terms of the time saved

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest Phoenix Silver

is someone know a video recorder for the phone ?

i mean like a screen shot app reccord all what is displayed in the phone

should be very useful for guides instead of film the phone

Guest The Soup Thief
is someone know a video recorder for the phone ?

i mean like a screen shot app reccord all what is displayed in the phone

should be very useful for guides instead of film the phone

Great idea!

Try this - Android screencast

As I understand it, it enables you to control things on the phone via mouse and keyboard on the PC desktop

It doesn't seem to record itself, but presumably a standard PC video capture program could achieve this

Not able to test it myself at the moment, but would be very interested to hear if it works

Guest Phoenix Silver

woahhhhhhhhhh

i'm stomached

you see your phone in the pc screen

you can pilot the phone with the mouse

all works

only one thing the screen is upside down

Phone :

CAP201101261500.jpg

PC :

pc.jpg

This is a good thread!

I would like to know if there is an app to show notifications for exchange email as well as sms and missed calls, so it shows up at the bottom over the icon rather than the notification bar.

Mike

SMS unread count?

Guest The Soup Thief
woahhhhhhhhhh

i'm stomached

you see your phone in the pc screen

you can pilot the phone with the mouse

all works

only one thing the screen is upside down

Phone :

CAP201101261500.jpg

PC :

pc.jpg

Groovy!

Just need to come up with some video codec flipper at the PC end perhaps?

I guess this probably has something to do with the Blade's screen being upside down in the first place then flipped by software

Sebastian404 has recently modded Clockwork to invert the display - might be worth asking him how he did this in order to flip it again / unflip it at the phone end

This might revolutionise the howto videos though, provided it's possible to overlay your voice with the video

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest Phoenix Silver
Groovy!

Just need to come up with some video codec flipper at the PC end perhaps?

I guess this probably has something to do with the Blade's screen being upside down in the first place then flipped by software

Sebastian404 has recently modded Clockwork to invert the display - might be worth asking him how he did this in order to flip it again / unflip it at the phone end

This might revolutionise the howto videos though, provided it's possible to overlay your voice with the video

it's in the to do list of the OP for the screen rotation

yes it record what you do

i imagine you have to find a pc app to work the produced video file

the best thing you have to install nothing in the phone works with adb oO

Edited by Phoenix Silver

Guest daisyhayseed

The Soup Thief, are you still looking for a good recipe app? Try Epicurious, its very glossy and easy to use. It also has the shopping list functionality you were referring to.

Guest The Soup Thief
video file is in .mov format

except the screen orientation it's perfect

Was just thinking about it - inverting the video would probably not help the demonstrator, who would still have to carry out the operations upside down

It would just help the person watching to understand what was happening

I'm busy this evening, bu tyou might want to pass this on to Steven Harper, who does a lot of demonstrations

Great idea you had though!

Guest hydrophonic76
What extra settings do you get by going pro? Their website is not very specific about what extras I will get by paying them some money.

Calendar Pad (Pro):

Features:

- Month, Week and Day views.

- Today, Month, Week and Day widgets.

- (Pro only) Color customization.

- (Pro only) Calendar settings.

i dont know the extra setting. i only use the free version. sorry

Guest pellonet

ICE-In case of emergency

Paramedics, Police, Fire services are aware of the ICE system & will look for data on personal devices in the case of an emergency.

This app is on the Market & will allow the storing of medical & contact data etc.

It also has a widget for both Home screen & Lock Screen.

A very Practical app!

TkfZxtUNpblrv5C-Homescreen2png.pngitfv21THstdWAF8-ICEscreeneditpng.png

Edited by pellonet

Guest richardtkemp

I second Calendar Pad, the day view and month view are great, and also make for great widgets. You really don't gain much for going pro though. As mentioned, it's basically just changing the colours, which aren't so bad to start with. You don't even get full colour control, as I was disappointed to find out when I tried to make the background transparent so the events text would display straight over my background.

Guest UbaRolfey
LaucherPro has this option, i use it. ADW has it as an add-on too.

I would like to draw your attention to Button Savior. On-screen buttons for Home, Menu, Back and Power-On/Off. Essential for the Blade with it's fiddly buttons. I put it on the right upper size and it is always active in every app, does not bother at all.

Also PowerStrip is brilliant, you can multi-task very quick, you can put widgets and shortcuts and access them from every app without leaving the app.

Thanks for your reply, I know it has that functionality, but not for Exchange mail, it will work for Gmail and the likes, but not corporate email.

Mike

Guest The Soup Thief
Was just thinking about it - inverting the video would probably not help the demonstrator, who would still have to carry out the operations upside down

It would just help the person watching to understand what was happening

I'm busy this evening, bu tyou might want to pass this on to Steven Harper, who does a lot of demonstrations

Great idea you had though!

I just had a play with this. Seems great. Didn't realise you couldd use the phone normally and it would record the screen. Assumed you had to control w the mouse (and that you'd need to drive the mouse upside down)

Rotating the video is easy enough - easier if you convert it to .avi first, then I think windows movie maker will rotate it

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest Rotmann

A few additions:

Widgetsoid - very customisable free power control widget

Super Manager - free crippled Root Explorer alternative

Autostarts - disable rubbish autostarting on the phone

Fancy Widget Pro - best clock/weather widget with tons of skins

Miren Browser - very good looking and fast browser from the MIUI ROMs

PKT Auctions eBay - best eBay app, much better than the official rubbish one

PowerTutor - monitor power consumption of every app

ShootMe - screenshots

Edited by Rotmann

Guest BunnyPunch

RE: RSS reader - I use Scrollable News in conjunction with Launcher Pro (you need a launcher that allows scrollable widgets). Strictly speaking it's a widget not an RSS reader, but I'm a nut for transparent, minimal plain text widgets for my home screens and Scrollable News does exactly that. Not only that, you can tell it to use instapaper and call up a stripped out version of the page when you select a news item, which is great for conserving data usage and readability on the move.

Speaking of Instapaper, Everpaper is a good client for it - it syncs with your Instapaper account and you can send articles to Evernote too, if you so choose.

Apps I've paid for:

Launcher Pro

Titanium

SwitchPro - again with the transparent widgets, the ability to customise the power toggles is great too.

Clockr Evolution - the paid for version of Clockr - it was before I found the previously mentioned Minimalistic Text

Pure Calendar - transparency again. Lovely widget for use with Google Calendar and Astrid - the default widgets are horrible.

Fruit Ninja