GPS Navigation on the Vega

Guest trevor432990

Guest trevor432990
I am now suffering from the GPS Location problem. God knows why this has changed on my device as at the time of writing my post above everything worked and I have changed nothing at all on my device.

Also a quick note: The "USe GPS Satellites" setting wasn't there at all on version 1.06.5, so if we can remove it that might sort this issue out on this later build.

Sorry to hear that, is it exactly the same problem as me or is it the red GPS problem flag? Is satellite data getting from the Wayfinder to the BT GPS Provider app ok? I thought the "Use GPS Satellites" was new and you are right we do need to sort the issue out for the upgrade path going forward.

Guest TylerDurdenK

I am not getting the Red GPS Problem issue. BT GPS Provider finds my Wayfinder device and tracks the satellites fine, and my location can be seen to within 1m on Google Maps. The only issue is when I try to navigate, either from the Maps app or straight from Navigator.

Guest trevor432990
I am not getting the Red GPS Problem issue. BT GPS Provider finds my Wayfinder device and tracks the satellites fine, and my location can be seen to within 1m on Google Maps. The only issue is when I try to navigate, either from the Maps app or straight from Navigator.

Oh dear I wonder what's happening that's very strange especially as you say there were no changes on your Vega :P Out of interest when you had v1.08 installed before you reverted did you notice if it had the 'Use GPS satellites' option or not? The option hasn't suddenly appeared on your Vega has it?

Guest TylerDurdenK

I can't say for sure, but I pretty sure it appears on 1.08 (or ROMS derived from it) and isn't there on 1.06.5.

I don't think it has just appeared, but I cannot explain why it was working yesterday either, maybe I'm going mad.

Guest trevor432990
I can't say for sure, but I pretty sure it appears on 1.08 (or ROMS derived from it) and isn't there on 1.06.5.

I don't think it has just appeared, but I cannot explain why it was working yesterday either, maybe I'm going mad.

Are you getting exactly the same pop-up window message as me now then?

I was on v1.06 pp r4 when it was all working fine so maybe between r5 and r7 something has been changed with the GPS it would be interesting to know what version everyone who uses GPS is on right now.

Are you getting exactly the same pop-up window message as me now then?

I was on v1.06 pp r4 when it was all working fine so maybe between r5 and r7 something has been changed with the GPS it would be interesting to know what version everyone who uses GPS is on right now.

had the issue on 1.6.05, but re-flashed and it worked fine. Possibly a reinstall on R7 would do the same for you guys?

I for one am not going to be moving onto the latest version until this works.

Guest trevor432990
had the issue on 1.6.05, but re-flashed and it worked fine. Possibly a reinstall on R7 would do the same for you guys?

I for one am not going to be moving onto the latest version until this works.

Thanks for the info and I quite agree it isn't worth updating till this is solved. I may PM Paul in a mo to see if he can help us on this. What mod level of 1.06.5 are you on currently QLF?

Thanks for the info and I quite agree it isn't worth updating till this is solved. I may PM Paul in a mo to see if he can help us on this. What mod level of 1.06.5 are you on currently QLF?

Full addon with all options from the online kitchen selected, including PP. It's from about the 16th Jan (will check when i get home exact details).

Same as what i had flashed 10 days before, but on re-flash it worked. Still not a clue as to why it didn't work the first time round...........

Guest trevor432990

Messaged Paul so hopefully the cavalry will be arriving soon. :P

Found this interesting article on an app which turns on GPS in the background which sounds just what we need but without the alarms and other things though

Someone else having the same problem recently on a Elocity A7 tablet apparently.

Another forum thread discussing our issue

Edited by trevor432990

Guest trevor432990
Grumble ....grumble :D - don't have it in the R7 MCR but I'll cook and try another version later

@Maxip

Hi Max .... Did you ever manage to get R7 installed and test if GPS is working for you as it isn't for me I'm on R7 but I'm on MCK-r2 kernel not v1.08 like you ?

Waiting with bated breath :P

I have got GPS working on mine now with 1.08 and r8

I use the Bluetooth GPS Provider app with the Wayfarer BT GPS.

I can get it to give me a position and then use it to display my location on Google Maps, MM Tracker and OS Atlas.

I have not tried to actually navigate anywhere with it but it does seem quite stable around the garden.

I never tried it with r7 but it also worked with 1.06.05 too.

Guest TylerDurdenK

Yes, GPS does work for me, and i can also see an accurate position on maps etc. The issue happens when I attempt to navigate somewhere I get a warning and sent to the setting page.

Try it, I hope it works properly for you.

Edited by TylerDurdenK

I used the Bluetooth GPS application on my Desire to export the GPS signal, and try to get it working :P

But, not much succes. I can't get the two to pair, but they are connected. Any ideas?

Guest trevor432990
I have got GPS working on mine now with 1.08 and r8

I use the Bluetooth GPS Provider app with the Wayfarer BT GPS.

I can get it to give me a position and then use it to display my location on Google Maps, MM Tracker and OS Atlas.

I have not tried to actually navigate anywhere with it but it does seem quite stable around the garden.

I never tried it with r7 but it also worked with 1.06.05 too.

Good news Jim but as Tyler says you need to try the Navigate part. In Maps you need to set a route to somewhere then once it's found the directions a blue arrow will appear top-right corner. When you click on that what happens? Alternatively if you have installed Car Home just load it and click on the Navigate button. Hoping it'll work too ?

Guest trevor432990
I used the Bluetooth GPS application on my Desire to export the GPS signal, and try to get it working :P

But, not much succes. I can't get the two to pair, but they are connected. Any ideas?

What does it say in the list of bluetooth devices? If it says 'Paired but not connected' it should work. Have you 'Allowed Mock Locations' yet?

Edited by trevor432990

Navigate not working for me with r8 and 1.08.

Maps works fine and I can see good signals from multiple satellites on the provider page. But the fact I can now use a modem dongle, out weighs the lack of navigation for me.

Guest trevor432990
Navigate not working for me with r8 and 1.08.

Maps works fine and I can see good signals from multiple satellites on the provider page. But the fact I can now use a modem dongle, out weighs the lack of navigation for me.

OK thanks for letting us know. Is that a 3G dongle I presume? :P

Guest trevor432990

Not sure of the significance but having just gone back to read Paul's difference report between v1.06 and v1.08 and according to it the following new GPS related software changes have been implemented:-

gps.conf

libgps_tmp.so

libhw_gps.so

libmbm_gps.so

libgpsctrl.so

Will carry on checking these out

Guest TylerDurdenK

Perhaps it will be possible to undo these changes and revert back to the way 1.06.5 does GPS.

Would it be as simple as deleting the 1.08 gps.conf file and replacing it with the one from 1.06.5?

Guest trevor432990
Perhaps it will be possible to undo these changes and revert back to the way 1.06.5 does GPS.

Would it be as simple as deleting the 1.08 gps.conf file and replacing it with the one from 1.06.5?

Perhaps but I can't find the original v1.06.5 version of gps.conf on my PC but would really like to know what the contents are. Have read some other forums saying the content should be something like this:-

NTP_SERVER=0.europe.pool.ntp.org

XTRA_SERVER_1=1.europe.pool.ntp.org

XTRA_SERVER_2=2.europe.pool.ntp.org

XTRA_SERVER_3=3.europe.pool.ntp.org

but what I have in mine currently says:-

SUPL_HOST=207.114.133.116

SUPL_PORT=59910

I suspect you may well be right by replacing the file or editing the content as above we 'might' start GPS working again but can only test it and see :P

Edited by trevor432990

Guest TylerDurdenK

I have the softwareImage_v1.06_05_Vega_Final.exe on my PC but don't know how to extract everything. Am I right in thinking the gps.conf file would be in the system.img?

Guest trevor432990
I have the softwareImage_v1.06_05_Vega_Final.exe on my PC but don't know how to extract everything. Am I right in thinking the gps.conf file would be in the system.img?

Fraid I don't know but maybe it is. I will post a quick request for someone running v1.06.5 to let us know what is in the file /system/etc/gps.conf :P

Trevor's even :P

Running a full scan to find ALL files with conf in the title. ES File Explorer doesnt find the required gps.cong in system/etc at all i'm afraid. Will prob take a while, but i'll keep you posted...