GPS Navigation on the Vega

Guest trevor432990

Guest trevor432990
Running a full scan to find ALL files with conf in the title. ES File Explorer doesnt find the required gps.cong in system/etc at all i'm afraid. Will prob take a while, but i'll keep you posted...

OK many thanks. Will continue checking tomorrow :P

Went to rummage in Google Mobile Help pages and came upon this article which raises some concern about the ongoing use of external GPS receivers with the Maps application. If you read the 'Notes' section at the bottom it says "External GPS receivers are unsupported for use with Google Maps for mobile at this time." Unfortunately the posting has not been dated so we've no idea when this policy applied and whether it still does. Maybe we need to keep the fact that it still does work with Maps at least quiet :D

Edited by trevor432990

Guest trevor432990

EUREKA !!!!!! I have found a fix for our problem guys :D

This should circumvent the 'GPS is Disabled' message pop-up which those of us who use Navigator have experienced since updating the Vega to the latest Kernel and ROM levels and will enable us to continue to use our external Bluetooth GPS Receivers for mobile navigation purposes.

You first need to download and install a tool called 'GPS OnOff' from Curve Fish on the Market then go to your HOME page and long press on the screen and select Widgets and scroll down to the 'GPS OnOff' tool and select it and position the new icon on your home page. Then follow these steps in sequence:-

1. Turn on the external Bluetooth GPS Receiver and wait until the Green light is steady
  2. Start the Bluetooth GPS Provider app (or whichever one you are using)
  3. Go to home page and click on the GPS OnOff widget so that it goes to the green/on position
  4. Start Google Maps and in menu select 'Directions' and enter the required destination
  5. Press Blue Arrow in top righthand side to start Navigator!
With luck Navigator will now start without the blessed 'GPS is Disabled' pop-up and you can continue to use it through Maps or if you wish you can switch to the Car Home app which now should also work. If you find the pop-up does reappear at some point check and see if the GPS OnOff widget has changed colour and if so reset it to ON and if you cannot do this a reboot should resolve the situation.

Hopefully this workaround will keep us going until Google sort the issue out :D

Do let me know how you get on and if you have any problems I shall try and assist.

Edited by trevor432990

EUREKA !!!!!! I have found a fix for our problem guys :)

This should circumvent the 'GPS is Disabled' message pop-up which those of us who use Navigator have experienced since updating the Vega to the latest Kernel and ROM levels and will enable us to continue to use our external Bluetooth GPS Receivers for mobile navigation purposes.

You first need to download and install a tool called 'GPS OnOff' from Curve Fish on the Market then go to your HOME page and long press on the screen and select Widgets and scroll down to the 'GPS OnOff' tool and select it and position the new icon on your home page. Then follow these steps in sequence:-

1. Turn on the external Bluetooth GPS Receiver and wait until the Green light is steady
  3. Go to home page and click on the GPS OnOff widget so that it goes to the green/on position
  4. Start Google Maps and in menu select 'Directions' and enter the required destination
With luck Navigator will now start without the blessed 'GPS is Disabled' pop-up and you can continue to use it through Maps or if you wish you can switch to the Car Home app which now should also work. If you find the pop-up does reappear at some point check and see if the GPS OnOff widget has changed colour and if so reset it to ON and if you cannot do this a reboot should resolve the situation.

Do let me know how you get on and if you have any problems I shall try and assist.

great work Chief :D

I can start checking benefits of upgrading past 1.06.05 now :)

Guest What_The_Fox_Hat
great work Chief :D

I can start checking benefits of upgrading past 1.06.05 now :D

+1

you were determined to crack this and it certainly works for me. Nice 1

Guest TylerDurdenK

Well done Trevor,

You know I tried something simialr to this using the Extended Power Controls app, but it didn't work. So I'm surprised this works!

Just going to try it out now.

*edit* turns out I also tried the Curvefish widget too, as I already have it installed.

*edit* Bizarre, this is now working for me. Perhaps I got the order wrong or something when I tried it before.

Edited by TylerDurdenK

Guest TylerDurdenK
Best bet is to load up your journey before leaving using Google Maps, which will pre-cache on your SD card everything you need to get to your destination. Issue is rerouting info / traffic / layers etc WONT be included.

Does this pre-cache happen automatically, or is there something I need to do?

It doesn't appear to work for me at the moment. If I go through the route and allow the maps to load up, if I try and do it again the maps have to load up again.

Guest trevor432990

It doesn't appear to work for me at the moment. If I go through the route and allow the maps to load up, if I try and do it again the maps have to load up again.

Have not done it yet myself but I expect that in order to cache your route you would need to be connected to your home wi-fi networks to draw down the map data then step through each of the directions from your location to the destination on Navigator first. In other words keep clicking the arrow keys to display the maps at each step. Once you have reached the destination in theory all the map data will have been stored ready for you to use during your journey.

Anyway, the text below was lifted from the official Google Maps site.

Offline reliability

Vector graphics also enable another significant new feature: the ability to continue viewing maps even when you have poor—or no—network connections. Because each vector tile works across multiple zoom levels, it requires more than 100 times less data to view maps across all zoom levels than before, allowing Maps to cache much larger areas of the map on your device.

With this first version, Maps proactively caches map data for the places you use Maps the most—where you’re actively using it as well as places for which you search or get directions. Then when you’re plugged in and connected over WiFi, caching happens automatically. Near your frequent places, you’ll get detailed vector tiles for city-sized regions so you can see every road labeled. Further away, you’ll have less detail but will typically have towns and highways labeled for miles. We’re continuing to work on these algorithms, so you’ll see improvements over time.

Offline rerouting

With Google Maps Navigation (Beta), you’ll also see the benefits of additional caching with offline rerouting. This feature is only possible because Navigation caches not only map data but also data like turn restrictions for the areas surrounding your route. You’ll still need to be connected when you first start a trip to download and cache your route. But this way, even if you take a wrong turn after losing your connection, Navigation can use the cached data to get you back on your way. We will be rolling this feature out gradually over the next few weeks.

This is just the start, and we’re really excited about all the possible ways to use vector graphics technology for the next generation of Google Maps. So please stay tuned!

Hope that helps but QLF has done this I think so maybe he can tell us more :D

You need to connect to wifi, load your route, disconnect from wifi - then the full route is saved and all accompanying maps. Also saves certain reroutes, but dont expect that to be for every possible eventuality, (would require a LOT of data).

If you re-enter destination etc, it will retry anddownload the maps. I think what you're meaning is the traditional, (as in IE), cache, whereby the route is remembered for next time you need it. Sadly it will remember the destination, but not the full route map.

Edited by QLF

Guest trevor432990
You need to connect to wifi, load your route, disconnect from wifi - then the full route is saved and all accompanying maps. Also saves certain reroutes, but dont expect that to be for every possible eventuality, (would require a LOT of data).

If you re-enter destination etc, it will retry anddownload the maps. I think what you're meaning is the traditional, (as in IE), cache, whereby the route is remembered for next time you need it. Sadly it will remember the destination, but not the full route map.

Thanks for the info. Out of interest does the destination and cached maps get wiped if you turn the Vega off? e.g. if you program your route the night before then in the morning turn the Vega back on will it still be there or do you have to download again ? :D

Guest trevor432990

Glad to hear the fix has worked for you guys too :D

One thing I noticed after installing and using the GPS OnOff widget was that my default browser Dolphin HD suddenly thought my Vega was a mobile phone and would insist on serving me up mobile versions of web pages. If you have the same problem now I've posted a solution to it here

Edited by trevor432990

Thanks for the info. Out of interest does the destination and cached maps get wiped if you turn the Vega off? e.g. if you program your route the night before then in the morning turn the Vega back on will it still be there or do you have to download again ? :D

I would assume you would have to download it again, but I haven't tried this one. I know the destination postcode etc would be remembered, (similar to google search history), but I doubt the map files required or turn by turn directions would be stored.

EUREKA !!!!!! I have found a fix for our problem guys :D

Many thanks, worked for me as well......

anyone know how to get CarHome working, I can install it, but it doesnt appear on app tray.....

Steve

Guest stevesilk51

anyone know how to get CarHome working, I can install it, but it doesnt appear on app tray.....

Steve

Hi g6hoq,

Think you also need to download and install "car home launcher" now ?

Guest trevor432990

Steve

You're welcome :D As Steve said you need the CarHome Launcher too which is in the unzipped ROM pack from Paul on your PC which you can either push to the Vega via ADB or copy using a memory stick or Advent Transfer Companion. Just needs to be placed in your /system/app folder then installed.

EDIT:- Might need to use Root Explorer with write permission set to place in /system/app but can't remember how I did it now :D

Edited by trevor432990

Guest TonyOne

Hi and thanks Trevor.

I have loaded roms on mine so many times I am not sure what I have, I do have R8, but not sure if 108 or 106

I prefer the bluetooth gps, but both work for me. it was working fine with the maps and the rac app, but got warning since the last update and the enable gps option was greyed out.

Installed the on off switch and now goes straight into navigation, what ever made you think of trying that, thanks again.

Tony

Guest trevor432990
Hi and thanks Trevor.

I have loaded roms on mine so many times I am not sure what I have, I do have R8, but not sure if 108 or 106

I prefer the bluetooth gps, but both work for me. it was working fine with the maps and the rac app, but got warning since the last update and the enable gps option was greyed out.

Installed the on off switch and now goes straight into navigation, what ever made you think of trying that, thanks again.

Tony

Hi Tony ... glad it works for you too. As you can imagine it took quite a lot of background research and forum scouring before I got a hint that the likely problem was down to a timing issue between Navigator checking if GPS was running and the Vega responding that's why I was initially looking at Tasker to fix the problem as it enables you to schedule Android tasks and set pauses. Anyway then I saw mention that there was a power command on Android phones which had a GPS on/off option but as we don't have that command I started looking at widgets to do the same thing which is when I came across the GPS OnOff app so I thought I'd give it a try and bingo! If that hadn't worked I'd made my mind up to go back to v1.06.5 so it was fate really :D