GPS Navigation on the Vega

Guest trevor432990

Guest trevor432990
Ok I got the GPS on/off widget installed and green. I am tho unable to do the "1. Go to Market and download/install the 'Bluetooth GPS Provider' app by mobile-j.de which is FREE" bit as this app doesnt exist anymore on the marketplace. I tired direct downloading it and even installed a qcode reader and tried dl from that and it throws me to an app not found page on marketplace. So I tried another "Bluetooth GPS Provider" by Michael Chourdakis But it simply says "no bluetooth device found please install a bluetooth device..."

Stuck here.

Thanks for any help!

Sorry I should have qualified my answer. As you have internal GPS you won't need the Bluetooth GPS app so your instructions would read as follwos:-

You first need to download and install a tool called 'GPS OnOff' from Curve Fish on the Market then go to your HOME page and long press on the screen and select Widgets and scroll down to the 'GPS OnOff' tool and select it and position the new icon on your home page. Then follow these steps in sequence:-

1. Turn on the internal GPS Receiver (using the formerly greyed out settings)

2. Go to home page and click on the GPS OnOff widget so that it goes to the green/on position

3. Start Google Maps and click on directions and select a destination you wish to travel to as a test

4. A list of 'Directions' should appear

5. Press Blue Arrow in to start Navigator!

With luck Navigator will now start and you can continue to use it through Maps or if you wish you can switch to the Car Home app which now should also work. If you find the pop-up does reappear at some point check and see if the GPS OnOff widget has changed colour and if so reset it to ON and if you cannot do this a reboot should resolve the situation.

Hope those work for you :D

Guest MindsEye
Sorry I should have qualified my answer. As you have internal GPS you won't need the Bluetooth GPS app so your instructions would read as follwos:-

You first need to download and install a tool called 'GPS OnOff' from Curve Fish on the Market then go to your HOME page and long press on the screen and select Widgets and scroll down to the 'GPS OnOff' tool and select it and position the new icon on your home page. Then follow these steps in sequence:-

1. Turn on the internal GPS Receiver (using the formerly greyed out settings)

2. Go to home page and click on the GPS OnOff widget so that it goes to the green/on position

3. Start Google Maps and click on directions and select a destination you wish to travel to as a test

4. A list of 'Directions' should appear

5. Press Blue Arrow in to start Navigator!

With luck Navigator will now start and you can continue to use it through Maps or if you wish you can switch to the Car Home app which now should also work. If you find the pop-up does reappear at some point check and see if the GPS OnOff widget has changed colour and if so reset it to ON and if you cannot do this a reboot should resolve the situation.

Hope those work for you :D

Ok everything seems to work with the exception of that I dont use or know what this car/home app is, the google maps planner works even with my stationary machine... it simply plans a route, I am confused about the connection to the GPS.. I get a blue line shoing me how to get from the location A i put in to the location B. The GPS doesnt really enter into it as I am giving google a fixed set of starting and ending points. Or am I missing something entirely here?...

My problem is that the GPS doesnt seem to recieve or send data..., even tho it is apparently ON and the icon on top shows a satellite thingy beaming happily...

But every gps app gets 0 data.

[edit]

After talking to BeeGee, it seems that the GPS IS working, that it is a crappy antenna on this POV Mobii Tegra 10" and I will probably have to buy an external Bluetooth GPS unit if I want one that is even somewhat usefull : ( Turn out that a lot of people are posting that they sometimes need 20 mins to get a fix.. thats not acceptable, in that time I can navigate to my destination the old way... by asking people on the street lol. Thanks for all your help trevor and BeeGee... I didnt realise that it could take so long to get a signal and thus thought that the unit was not working : (

Just out of curiosity what is the car home app you are referring to... there seem to be a few on marketplace... but the one I found seems to be a docking solution.. probably wrong yea?

You guys rock anyway!

///MindsEye

Edited by MindsEye

Guest trevor432990

The key thing is the GPS setting your 'current location' correctly because only then will it let you use the Google Navigator app within Maps which is entered by pressing the Blue arrow icon/button if it is then I believe that proves that GPS signals are being processed. If you are unsure there are other apps you can download to check that data is being received.

The CarHome app is Google's in-car SatNav system so you can use it (with a suitable cradle) as you would a smaller SatNav. I guess the only way to prove if the GPS is working is to take it on a short journey somewhere but for £7 (incl P&P) the external BT Wayfinder is still a very good buy if you get stuck though it can take a few minutes to lock onto satellites too.

Guest MindsEye

Wierd thing.. I had it on before.. had the little satellite beamy icon on top and all.. but now when I went to try and let the device sit longer to see if it actually would get a connection to a satellite.. I cant for the life of me get it active again : ( God this thing is doing my nut in. I have turned on the little GPS on/off widget, I have activated GPS in bot places in the settings... I am scratching my head why it worked before and not now...

Guest Chinook

This is an excellent thread, and I got my Vega working with an external GPS, after following the instructions in the first post.

However, since then, I have changed my ROM, and tried to repeat the process. Disaster, 'Bluetooth GPS Provider' app by mobile-j.de is no longer in the market!

There is another 'Bluetooth GPS Provider' app by another author, but this does not have the same functionality.

Does anyone know of an alternative app? Or, does someone have the original .apk file to hand, which they could post here?

Thanks very much.

Guest Dave Marchant
This is an excellent thread, and I got my Vega working with an external GPS, after following the instructions in the first post.

However, since then, I have changed my ROM, and tried to repeat the process. Disaster, 'Bluetooth GPS Provider' app by mobile-j.de is no longer in the market!

There is another 'Bluetooth GPS Provider' app by another author, but this does not have the same functionality.

Does anyone know of an alternative app? Or, does someone have the original .apk file to hand, which they could post here?

Thanks very much.

I have found it on the Market just now - https://market.android.com/details?id=de.mo...e=search_result

Guest trevor432990
Wierd thing.. I had it on before.. had the little satellite beamy icon on top and all.. but now when I went to try and let the device sit longer to see if it actually would get a connection to a satellite.. I cant for the life of me get it active again : ( God this thing is doing my nut in. I have turned on the little GPS on/off widget, I have activated GPS in bot places in the settings... I am scratching my head why it worked before and not now...

If at first you don't succeed reboot it normally sorts things out. Let me know if that works? :D

Guest MindsEye
If at first you don't succeed reboot it normally sorts things out. Let me know if that works? :D

Indeed it did. tyvm. I hadn't shut it down after I had it working last... so I assumed it would just come back on.. but no. The tablet seems to be pretty finnicky. Ah well I will get used to it.

I guess I will buy an external BT GPS tho as I went outside with it and tried for 15 mins to get a signal to no effect... even if it would have worked given another 10 mins... thats just too long

to wait for that thing to be useful.

Shame its such a crap gps.

The rest of the tablet rocks tho... I guess I can be happy about that at least.

///MindsEye

Guest trevor432990

Oh good glad to hear you are up and running again. In the other thread someone has posted the link to an £8 external GPS unit which should work just fine :D

Guest Chinook
I have found it on the Market just now - https://market.android.com/details?id=de.mo...e=search_result

Thanks for that, but I still can't get at it.

Although I can see it through the link you posted, when I try to access it through my Vega's Market app, it is not there. Also, if I download from the web version as above, it helpfully installs it on my Desire HD phone! I guess this is because my phone is associated with my google account.

Anyone with the .apk file?

Thanks again.

Guest trevor432990
Thanks for that, but I still can't get at it.

Although I can see it through the link you posted, when I try to access it through my Vega's Market app, it is not there. Also, if I download from the web version as above, it helpfully installs it on my Desire HD phone! I guess this is because my phone is associated with my google account.

Anyone with the .apk file?

Thanks again.

I see it on the Market without any problem using the Vega what search string are you using?

Guest Chinook
I see it on the Market without any problem using the Vega what search string are you using?

I have tried a number of search strings - 'Bluetooth GPS Provider', 'mobile-j.de', but no joy. I can see the other Bluetooth GPS Provider, but not the one from mobile-j.de.

Could it be that, because it was installed in my previous ROM, the Market place it thinks I already have it, so isn't listing it?

Guest trevor432990
I have tried a number of search strings - 'Bluetooth GPS Provider', 'mobile-j.de', but no joy. I can see the other Bluetooth GPS Provider, but not the one from mobile-j.de.

Could it be that, because it was installed in my previous ROM, the Market place it thinks I already have it, so isn't listing it?

No it should list it anyway and show it as installed. I've really no idea what could be going wrong I'm afraid. :D

Guest trevor432990

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who uses GPS (internal or external) if you've managed to get it running properly on either the Corvus5 or Vegacomb systems yet ?? :D

Guest IanTurner

Anyone know of a reasonable external antenna/aerial for the wayfinder bluetooth gps ?

I live down a terrace street and find with my garmin edge 500 that it takes a bit of time to find the satellites due to

the buildings and the wayfinder likewise.

A pity the navigation software options don't allow altering the route manually.

Guest trevor432990
Anyone know of a reasonable external antenna/aerial for the wayfinder bluetooth gps ?

I live down a terrace street and find with my garmin edge 500 that it takes a bit of time to find the satellites due to

the buildings and the wayfinder likewise.

A pity the navigation software options don't allow altering the route manually.

Hi Ian ... Not 100% sure this one will fit but it does mention another Wayfinder model so assuming they are standard sizes in range you should be ok with this one if in doubt contact supplier :D

Which Navigation software are you talking about exactly Google Maps, CarHome, Navfree ....... ?? All should be able to offer the ability for alternative routes so let me know and I'll check it out for you.

Guest IanTurner
Hi Ian ... Not 100% sure this one will fit but it does mention another Wayfinder model so assuming they are standard sizes in range you should be ok with this one if in doubt contact supplier :D

Which Navigation software are you talking about exactly Google Maps, CarHome, Navfree ....... ?? All should be able to offer the ability for alternative routes so let me know and I'll check it out for you.

Looks possible though there's minimal clearance round the socket.

While Maps has options for type of transport and the standard options for avoiding main highways and the like it seems impossible to actually add waypoints or drag the route onto another road. Navfree lacks even these with options restricted to finding locations for start and end unless I'm missing something

Guest trevor432990
Looks possible though there's minimal clearance round the socket.

While Maps has options for type of transport and the standard options for avoiding main highways and the like it seems impossible to actually add waypoints or drag the route onto another road. Navfree lacks even these with options restricted to finding locations for start and end unless I'm missing something

For waypoints it looks like you might be able to use 'Starred Places' eventually but as it says when you install Google Maps it is still in Beta so under development but I daresay there's another blog somewhere for Beta users if want to make suggestions or get advice. Navfree does have alternate route option but I can't tell you how to get to it as I've temporarily taken it off my Vega.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SageDesign
I've decided to start this thread as several people have been trying to use the Google Navigate, Car Home & Maps applications by using the combination of the 'Bluetooth GPS Provider' app and the Wayfinder Mobile Bluetooth GPS Receiver on sale eBay at the astounding value price of £6.95 (including P&P).

A few of us have tried and tested this configuration successfully and below are some instructions for people to follow in order to do this yourselves.

OK here goes a step-by-step guide (version 2.0) to setting up GPS on the Vega with your £6.95 GPS device

1. Go to Market and download/install the 'Bluetooth GPS Provider' app by mobile-j.de which is FREE

2. In Vega settings go to SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > DEVELOPMENT > ALLOW MOCK LOCATIONS and tick it

3. Go to SETTINGS > WIRELESS NETWORKS > BLUETOOTH and switch it on by ticking

Go to SETTINGS > LOCATION & SECURITY > USE WIRELESS NETWORKS and switch on by ticking

4. Click on Bluetooth GPS Provider icon in app tray to launch it

5. In BT GPS click on menu and select preferences then set these

6. Force tick

7. Switch Bluetooth tick

8. Raw HDOP tick

9. GPS Type set to OTHER

10. SIRF settings should be set to SWITCH TO NMEA

11. Turn on GPS Wayfinder hardware and position until the Left Green Arrow light is Solid and Right Blue Arrow light is flashing (will turn solid when connected to Vega)

P.S. You will need to pair this device with the Vega initially before you do this. It should show as 'BT GPS V10 Paired but not connected' on BT device list

12. Go to BT GPS app initial screen and select START

At this point the screen should blank and pop-up a message saying gathering GPS data (or words to that effect) and you may notice two icons appear on the Vega notification bar 1) a blue arrow showing Navigator is loaded 2) a blue radio signal showing BT GPS is running. After that a dimmed display will appear with the following options NAVIGATE, PHONE, VOICE SEARCH, CONTACTS, MUSIC, EXIT CAR MODE.

Select NAVIGATE and test it by typing a destination postcode some distance from your own and a pop-up saying 'Getting navigation instructions' will appear and shortly after the screen will display a map or satellite image of your current location with indicators showing which direction to travel.

Click on 'Then' button and thereafter the Right Arrow button on the apps notification bar to follow the route it's found.

You should now be in business !!! Why not watch the video of this working for real.

Let me know if that all works for you? B)

If you should get a message saying 'GPS is Disabled' at any point please go to post number 78 in this topic for a solution.

Note: I shall edit the above instructions if any errors come to light and change the version number as I do so

I have bought a G.sat Bluetooth GPS receiver, since the Wayfarer is no longer available. I tried to follow the instructions, but once the BT GPS Provider is installed, there is NO menu, so I cannot set it up. Is it unhappy because I do not have a Wayfarer? Are there other options please. :)

Guest trevor432990
I have bought a G.sat Bluetooth GPS receiver, since the Wayfarer is no longer available. I tried to follow the instructions, but once the BT GPS Provider is installed, there is NO menu, so I cannot set it up. Is it unhappy because I do not have a Wayfarer? Are there other options please. :)

Do you mean when you run Bluetooth GPS Receiver there is no display or message whatsoever? You need to click on the Menu icon on the notification bar then select 'Preferences' on the menu bar at the bottom of the screen normally. B)

Edited by trevor432990

Guest PacGhost

.... Looking for a Different Blue-tooth GPS that works with the my Vega ... SIZE of KEY-FOB (51CH RECEIVER)

I paid £7.50 of Ebay and has Vodafone written on it.. It seem to be the same others this size that cost up-to 5 times more this price..

+ cool size + usb charge + 51channel + fits on a key-ring + works from my key-ring in the car !

Guest trevor432990
.... Looking for a Different Blue-tooth GPS that works with the my Vega ... SIZE of KEY-FOB (51CH RECEIVER)

I paid £7.50 of Ebay and has Vodafone written on it.. It seem to be the same others this size that cost up-to 5 times more this price..

+ cool size + usb charge + 51channel + fits on a key-ring + works from my key-ring in the car !

Ermmm is that a question or a statement ?? :)

Guest SageDesign

B) It would help if I were better acquainted with Android - I had not realised that I needed to press the funny icon on the top of the screen! I have now set the BT Bluetooth up correctlt and the Vega recognises the G.sat GPS unit, but the software is telling that 'tracked sats = 0' There are now two bars on the screen, looking like a bar graph, one labelled '19' and the other as '3'. I have found a review of the unit, so will read that, hoping for some info (or inpsiration). Thanks