Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ejtagle

Previous log was produced with an older ril, not the latest one. I have modified the Version string as reported to contain the compilation date of the RIL, not only the version. Please, make sure that the logcat -b radio contains the right version and compilation date. Look for the string

RIL Daemon version: 1.0. ...

It must say the build date. And it must be the correct one. Older RIL logs are a waste of time, both to produce and to check...

Sorry, i have no way to test this. I am pretty sure it is working. Probably i wont continue fixing it. I can spend no more time on this RIL ...

Eduardo

Unfortunately, i suspect the Vega is losing users... There are too many devices sporting JB roms out there, some of them at very competitive prices, or with better screens and/or more internal storage or memory... :S -- There is not so much interest on the vega as it used to be previously... :(

And, to be honest, the problem is that i can't fix what i can't reproduce or test.... So, does anyone want to take it and fix it (if anything requires fixing, but, as i see we are using the exact same thing the manufacturer supplied huawei ril lib did, and that ril was working, i have strong reasons to say that this ril is working as it is. It is just a setup problem that i cannot test) ... So, anyone wishing to take it, debug it and fix it, please do so, as i cannot do it myself,

edit2: Attached a slightly modified version without so much debugging messages... This version takes the information required to configure the connection from a logcat radio. It does not even need ip-up/down scripts. There's no other thing to try... If it doesn't work, then be assured it is NOT this RIL. It is something in the ROM itself, or in the build process of the ROM -- Double and triple check your setup before complaining. I won't be posting new versions from now on, unless probed that there are bugs in the actual code! - Sorry guys, but developing for a device that seems to be less and less used is a no-go for me, and if i can't debug the problem, even worse..

huawei-generic-2set-v2.rar

huawei-generic-3sep.rar

Edited by ejtagle

Guest univall

Previous log was produced with an older ril, not the latest one. I have modified the Version string as reported to contain the compilation date of the RIL, not only the version. Please, make sure that the logcat -b radio contains the right version and compilation date. Look for the string

RIL Daemon version: 1.0. ...

It must say the build date. And it must be the correct one. Older RIL logs are a waste of time, both to produce and to check...

Sorry, i have no way to test this. I am pretty sure it is working. Probably i wont continue fixing it. I can spend no more time on this RIL ...

Eduardo

Unfortunately, i suspect the Vega is losing users... There are too many devices sporting JB roms out there, some of them at very competitive prices, or with better screens and/or more internal storage or memory... :S -- There is not so much interest on the vega as it used to be previously... :(

And, to be honest, the problem is that i can't fix what i can't reproduce or test.... So, does anyone want to take it and fix it (if anything requires fixing, but, as i see we are using the exact same thing the manufacturer supplied huawei ril lib did, and that ril was working, i have strong reasons to say that this ril is working as it is. It is just a setup problem that i cannot test) ... So, anyone wishing to take it, debug it and fix it, please do so, as i cannot do it myself,

edit2: Attached a slightly modified version without so much debugging messages... This version takes the information required to configure the connection from a logcat radio. It does not even need ip-up/down scripts. There's no other thing to try... If it doesn't work, then be assured it is NOT this RIL. It is something in the ROM itself, or in the build process of the ROM -- Double and triple check your setup before complaining. I won't be posting new versions from now on, unless probed that there are bugs in the actual code! - Sorry guys, but developing for a device that seems to be less and less used is a no-go for me, and if i can't debug the problem, even worse..

Eduardo,

I have tried a build with the 2-set version 2. Still getting the same results. I am going to try with the 3-set version soon. Once finished, will post logs for anyone to see if they find something that can help find a reason for this not working as expected. I am following the same process as I did from the 1st day. Agreed that it will help if someone else also tested the latest versions and posted results for checking. I will do my best to keep on testing if you or someone came up another version(s).

Guest univall

Thinking... Maybe the problem is the nodetach option of pppd...

Some new activity with this version. Will post logs in a short while.

[Edit] Pls see: logs attached.

congrats: "3g data is on" and it is quite stable, and even after screen out, comes back on rather fast. The '3g' or 'H' sign is not there in the taskbar over the cell signal, but 3g is on.

Also get the notion that, voice calling is only a few iterations/steps away.

- SMS is working.

- USSD Code is not.

- Received call rings, issues with voice (cannot get through)

- call dialing unstable, does not go through on to called phone.

full-3set-v3.txt

radio-3set-v3.txt

getprop-set3v3.txt

Edited by univall

Guest ejtagle

Some new activity with this version. Will post logs in a short while.

[Edit] Pls see: logs attached.

congrats: "3g data is on" and it is quite stable, and even after screen out, comes back on rather fast. The '3g' or 'H' sign is not there in the taskbar over the cell signal, but 3g is on.

Also get the notion that, voice calling is only a few iterations/steps away.

- SMS is working.

- USSD Code is not.

- Received call rings, issues with voice (cannot get through)

- call dialing unstable, does not go through on to called phone.

USSD works for me... without issues. You will have to provide a logcat -b radio after trying to send an USSD so i can see if it is being sent, and if an answer was received or not (give 10 seconds from you sending the USSD to let the network try to answer it)

The command that is used to send USSD is

AT+CUSD=

Maybe your net network is refusing to send it as utf8...

Edited by ejtagle

Guest univall

USSD works for me... without issues. You will have to provide a logcat -b radio after trying to send an USSD so i can see if it is being sent, and if an answer was received or not (give 10 seconds from you sending the USSD to let the network try to answer it)

The command that is used to send USSD is

AT+CUSD=

Maybe your net network is refusing to send it as utf8...

The USSD I am using works on an another android phone. I am using the same SIM on the tablet. Is it due to the fact that the RIL is engaged in the data transfer mode?

BTW, it takes quite a while 45-60 seconds or so for 3g to come on after a reboot.

ussd-39.txt

Guest ejtagle

The USSD I am using works on an another android phone. I am using the same SIM on the tablet. Is it due to the fact that the RIL is engaged in the data transfer mode?

BTW, it takes quite a while 45-60 seconds or so for 3g to come on after a reboot.

better to post the logcat -b radio. All output ril is there... Regarding how much time it takes to login into 3g after reboot, it is prettry normal... The 3G modem takes about 50 seconds just to log into the cell network ... And rebooting the tablet also reboots the 3G modem...

Guest univall

better to post the logcat -b radio. All output ril is there... Regarding how much time it takes to login into 3g after reboot, it is prettry normal... The 3G modem takes about 50 seconds just to log into the cell network ... And rebooting the tablet also reboots the 3G modem...

Attached log using "logcat -b radio"

ussd-2.txt

Guest ejtagle

Attached log using "logcat -b radio"

The cell network is returning the andswer in HEX instead of UTF8!! ??

AT(12)< +CUSD: 0,"D9775D0E6286E7749050FEBECFD3EE33685A9ECFD36F37283D07BDCD201868297449CBED70DA9D769F414679B90C2287E96190FDCDAEB7CBA0F41C849BCD60B41C68297401",15

I/RIL ( 106): unsolicitedUSSD +CUSD: 0,"D9775D0E6286E7749050FEBECFD3EE33685A9ECFD36F37283D07BDCD201868297449CBED70DA9D769F414679B90C2287E96190FDCDAEB7CBA0F41C849BCD60B41C68297401",15

D/RILJ ( 463):

According to the standard, the last ,15 means "Language unspecified". My network provider sends me UTF8, yours sends HEX... It can easily be converted, but we must find a way to make sure we do the conversion ONLY if required...

Guest ejtagle

Hopefully, this version will fix the USSD problems. Huawei modems use a 8bit wrapped stream that is non standard to receive USSDs... Sometimes, and sometimes use plain gsm8... Tried to autodetect and handle both cases. Tested with the original gsm8 case, can't test the other case, as my cell network provider always returns gsm8... But, i think it will work

huawei-generic-4sep.rar

Guest univall

Hopefully, this version will fix the USSD problems. Huawei modems use a 8bit wrapped stream that is non standard to receive USSDs... Sometimes, and sometimes use plain gsm8... Tried to autodetect and handle both cases. Tested with the original gsm8 case, can't test the other case, as my cell network provider always returns gsm8... But, i think it will work

On compiling, I see this:

target thumb C: libhuaweigeneric-ril <= device/nvidia/shuttle/huawei-generic/huaweigeneric-ril.c

device/nvidia/shuttle/huawei-generic/huaweigeneric-ril.c:255:15: warning: missing initializer [-Wmissing-field-initializers]

device/nvidia/shuttle/huawei-generic/huaweigeneric-ril.c:255:15: warning: (near initialization for 'sAudioChannel.play_q.size') [-Wmissing-field-initializers]

device/nvidia/shuttle/huawei-generic/huaweigeneric-ril.c:255:15: warning: missing initializer [-Wmissing-field-initializers]

device/nvidia/shuttle/huawei-generic/huaweigeneric-ril.c:255:15: warning: (near initialization for 'sAudioChannel.rec_q.size') [-Wmissing-field-initializers]

target SharedLib: libhuaweigeneric-ril (out/target/product/shuttle/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libhuaweigeneric-ril_intermediates/LINKED/libhuaweigeneric-ril.so)

target Symbolic: libhuaweigeneric-ril (out/target/product/shuttle/symbols/system/lib/libhuaweigeneric-ril.so)

target Strip: libhuaweigeneric-ril (out/target/product/shuttle/obj/lib/libhuaweigeneric-ril.so)

Install: out/target/product/shuttle/system/lib/libhuaweigeneric-ril.so

[EDIT]

Pls see logs. USSD tries to run, but still get a "connection problem or wrong MMI code" but the code sent is not wrong, works on another android phone. Hope this helps.

radio-49.txt

Edited by univall

Guest ejtagle

On compiling, I see this:

target thumb C: libhuaweigeneric-ril <= device/nvidia/shuttle/huawei-generic/huaweigeneric-ril.c

device/nvidia/shuttle/huawei-generic/huaweigeneric-ril.c:255:15: warning: (near initialization for 'sAudioChannel.play_q.size') [-Wmissing-field-initializers]

device/nvidia/shuttle/huawei-generic/huaweigeneric-ril.c:255:15: warning: (near initialization for 'sAudioChannel.rec_q.size') [-Wmissing-field-initializers]

target SharedLib: libhuaweigeneric-ril (out/target/product/shuttle/obj/SHARED_LIBRARIES/libhuaweigeneric-ril_intermediates/LINKED/libhuaweigeneric-ril.so)

target Symbolic: libhuaweigeneric-ril (out/target/product/shuttle/symbols/system/lib/libhuaweigeneric-ril.so)

target Strip: libhuaweigeneric-ril (out/target/product/shuttle/obj/lib/libhuaweigeneric-ril.so)

[EDIT]

Pls see logs. USSD tries to run, but still get a "connection problem or wrong MMI code" but the code sent is not wrong, works on another android phone. Hope this helps.

Seems that depending on firmware/exact 3G modem and/or cell network, the +CUSD command requires either clean text, or encoded text in the huawei proprietary format. Will try to find a way to detect this situation, as we are trying to make the RIL work on all Huawei modems, not only the EM770W... And even your EM770W seem to be different from mine (firmware version... ? ) ... Also , the other modem i am testing with (E169) has its own peculiarities... :o

Seems that depending on firmware/exact 3G modem and/or cell network, the +CUSD command requires either clean text, or encoded text in the huawei proprietary format. Will try to find a way to detect this situation, as we are trying to make the RIL work on all Huawei modems, not only the EM770W... And even your EM770W seem to be different from mine (firmware version... ? ) ... Also , the other modem i am testing with (E169) has its own peculiarities... :o

As soon as i put out a new version of VegaBean with your latest RIL, i will try out my e153 and send a logcat -b radio. Do not know when that will be.

Edited by Scanno

Guest univall

For the EM770W that's in the tablet, the firmware version seems to be 11.126.10.85.00. Understand that the latest from Huawei for this modem is 11.126.10.85.00.

The great thing is we have 3g, SMS and seem close to having voice-ussd. Waiting for Scanno to release the new version.

Guest univall

As soon as i put out a new version of VegaBean with your latest RIL, i will try out my e153 and send a logcat -b radio. Do not know when that will be.

Great! Waiting for the new version. :)

Great! Waiting for the new version. :)

Do not wait for it. I do not know when i will release it. I made some small changes that i really need to test first. Made some small changes to the ramdisk in the hope it will solve a small problem.

Not much changed, just changed latinIME to the CM10 one and also the browser (should include the option to change the user agent)

Guest univall

Do not wait for it. I do not know when i will release it. I made some small changes that i really need to test first. Made some small changes to the ramdisk in the hope it will solve a small problem.

Not much changed, just changed latinIME to the CM10 one and also the browser (should include the option to change the user agent)

If you'd like, just push to repo-git and I will test it for you. Maybe you could PM me what exactly to look out for, in case you do. I start travelling mid-month onward and could spend some time on this until then. :-)

Edited by univall

If you'd like, just push to repo-git and I will test it for you. Maybe you could PM me what exactly to look out for, in case you do. I start travelling mid-month onward and could spend some time on this until then. :-)

It is too specific. I changed some permissions in the hope it solves the bootloop after upgrading without a full wipe. It seems to be a permission issue. Testing the 3G is also important and you are doing a good job with that.

Guest univall

It is too specific. I changed some permissions in the hope it solves the bootloop after upgrading without a full wipe. It seems to be a permission issue. Testing the 3G is also important and you are doing a good job with that.

Thanks. Let me know when you need me to help out.

Guest ejtagle

Well, attaching a new version... I had no chance to compile it and/or test it, as i don't have my development machine at hand... The problem with USSD seems to be that depending on firmware/model/cell network, the modem either accepts GSM8 or a HEX encoded GSM7 USSD query , and also replies using either of those formats (again, depending on the firmware/model/cell network). I have tried to implement a retry mechanism: First, USSD queries are sent using GSM8 charset encodings: If that fails, fall back to HEX encoded GSM7 charset encodings... My cell provider accepts GSM8 using either EMM770W or E169 modems, but, the logs you have posted show that your cell provider is not accepting that.. So, i did this modification in hope to make it work.

If it does not compile, i will try to fix it later (or post the compile results, and using them i will try to fix it here)

huawei-generic-4set-v2.rar

Guest univall

Well, attaching a new version... I had no chance to compile it and/or test it, as i don't have my development machine at hand... The problem with USSD seems to be that depending on firmware/model/cell network, the modem either accepts GSM8 or a HEX encoded GSM7 USSD query , and also replies using either of those formats (again, depending on the firmware/model/cell network). I have tried to implement a retry mechanism: First, USSD queries are sent using GSM8 charset encodings: If that fails, fall back to HEX encoded GSM7 charset encodings... My cell provider accepts GSM8 using either EMM770W or E169 modems, but, the logs you have posted show that your cell provider is not accepting that.. So, i did this modification in hope to make it work.

If it does not compile, i will try to fix it later (or post the compile results, and using them i will try to fix it here)

I see the following when compiling:

--------------------------------------------------

device/nvidia/shuttle/huawei-generic/huaweigeneric-ril.c: In function 'decodeUSSD':

device/nvidia/shuttle/huawei-generic/huaweigeneric-ril.c:5980:2: warning: pointer targets in return differ in signedness [-Wpointer-sign]

device/nvidia/shuttle/huawei-generic/huaweigeneric-ril.c: In function 'requestSendUSSD':

device/nvidia/shuttle/huawei-generic/huaweigeneric-ril.c:6302:2: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strlen' differ in signedness [-Wpointer-sign]

bionic/libc/include/string.h:52:15: note: expected 'char const *' but argument is of type 'cbytes_t'

----------------------------------------------------------

Guest ejtagle

I see the following when compiling:

--------------------------------------------------

device/nvidia/shuttle/huawei-generic/huaweigeneric-ril.c: In function 'decodeUSSD':

device/nvidia/shuttle/huawei-generic/huaweigeneric-ril.c:5980:2: warning: pointer targets in return differ in signedness [-Wpointer-sign]

device/nvidia/shuttle/huawei-generic/huaweigeneric-ril.c: In function 'requestSendUSSD':

device/nvidia/shuttle/huawei-generic/huaweigeneric-ril.c:6302:2: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'strlen' differ in signedness [-Wpointer-sign]

bionic/libc/include/string.h:52:15: note: expected 'char const *' but argument is of type 'cbytes_t'

----------------------------------------------------------

Nothing to be worried about ;) ... Eventually, i will get rid of those warnings... :) ...

Guest univall

Nothing to be worried about ;) ... Eventually, i will get rid of those warnings... :) ...

testing, will revert asap...

USSD works just fine!! Will post a logcat -b radio for academic interest shortly. :D

radio-ussd-works.txt

Edited by univall

Guest ejtagle

testing, will revert asap...

USSD works just fine!! Will post a logcat -b radio for academic interest shortly. :D

Well, the only thing missing right now is voice... Or, to improve voice... Voice support seems to freeze sometimes.. To this respect, I'd like to hear what you think is happening... The idea is to collect experiences. The only modem i have that supports voice is the EM770W, as the E169 does not support it... I know there are other modems that do also support voice, and voice support has proven to be hard to implement...

Edited by ejtagle