Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Cass67

The HC3.2 libs for acceleration can be used, and they should work, except omx from HC3.2, that need an extra exported function in libmedia that was removed in ICS... But, we could even mix libraries to fix that... All the HC3.2 libs, except the libnvomx.so, that we should take from the google supplied ones for wingrey/stingrey tablets. That should work! ...

Pershoot: Could you try to push into your device the libnvomx.so from the wingrey propietary libs released by google and check if OMX starts to work, as it should... You need to restart the device after pushing them, and they should work... Humm... Could you ?

Just to add, the libs we use are leaked, it's not clear to me if they are hc or ics. Could be to do this test correct we may need actual libs from an hc device.

Guest pershoot

The HC3.2 libs for acceleration can be used, and they should work, except omx from HC3.2, that need an extra exported function in libmedia that was removed in ICS... But, we could even mix libraries to fix that... All the HC3.2 libs, except the libnvomx.so, that we should take from the google supplied ones for wingrey/stingrey tablets. That should work! ...

Pershoot: Could you try to push into your device the libnvomx.so from the wingrey propietary libs released by google and check if OMX starts to work, as it should... You need to restart the device after pushing them, and they should work... Humm... Could you ?

yea. ill update my media first, before trying.

will reply back with change id(s) once done.

Guest pershoot

yea. ill update my media first, before trying.

will reply back with change id(s) once done.

no go. getting RPC failures. checking against wingray kernel source for media.

Edited by pershoot

Guest pershoot

Just to add, the libs we use are leaked, it's not clear to me if they are hc or ics. Could be to do this test correct we may need actual libs from an hc device.

you cant use HC (ive tried both touchwiz UX and non UX) libraries for GL/hw composition, and have pristine video/render. im on a native HC device and i too required those libraries (most of my libraries are from HC 3.2 tho, aside from the 14 which we are all using currently). not sure if you are speaking of something else.

Edited by pershoot

Guest ejtagle

you cant use HC (ive tried both touchwiz UX and non UX) libraries for GL/hw composition, and have pristine video/render. im on a native HC device and i too required those libraries (most of my libraries are from HC 3.2 tho, aside from the 14 which we are all using currently). not sure if you are speaking of something else.

The libraries we are using (the leaked ones) are definitovely not ICS .. perhpas they were from the latest HC versions, but certainly not ICS. The reasoning about that is that the libnvomx.so library imports functions that were present on the HC libmedia, but were removed from the ICS libmedia. We have full git logs, for libmedia, and, even if we don't have the hc tag on the exact point, i can approximately guess, by looking at commit dates and the moment this api disappeared, where in time the git repository could represent the actual HC release...

We have 3 choices here:

1) Use the 2.6.36 kernel as it is (backporting what is needed from .39) and using the leaked libraries -> Noomx...

2) Use the 2.6.36 kernel as it is (backporting what is needed from .39) and using the HC3.2 libraries-> graphic rendering artifacts

3) Use the 2.6.39 kernel that we have with leaked libs ->no omx, no suspend..

4) Use the 2.6.39 wingrey kernel, with wingrey libs ... Dindn-t boot the last time i tried... This specific kernel seems to be a port from the 2.6.36 to a 2.6.39 kernel... Is ther any known issue on the motorola xoom tablet running this kernelan ICS besides camera ?-- omx and suspend are working on this lernel?

5) Backport 2.6.39 wingrey kernel nvidia drivers to the 2.6.36 kernel, in the hope the wingrey libs would work and get all the googies working?

6) Try to fix suspend in the 2.6.39 kernel, and port nvidia support drivers from 2.6.39 wingrey to 2.6.39 and use google supplied libs ?

Any other thing / choice ?

I don't know if nvidia will release tegra2 libs for ics besides the ones already released for wingrey ...

Opinions ?

We are trying to address the 2 remaining things here: omx and suspension. 2.6.36 has suspension sorted out...

Guest pershoot

i now had a look at moto.

they dont use mediaserver. only avp. nothing special in there. if i turn off mediaserver and just use AVP/RPC, i cant get any playback.

the video they use is outdated. they dont use an overlay. with the 14 libs in use, a boot cannot happen against what is found there (due to no overlay,etc.). even using my native HC 3.2 libs, i dont think i can get a boot, due to the lack of overlay (i cant boot with DC_EXTENSIONS (overlay off)).

from the quick look i took, nothing really i can use from the kernel in terms of these subsystems (what i have is newer/much newer).

hoping prime's omx/related will work towards a more favorable result.

Edited by pershoot

Guest pershoot

they dont use mediaserver. only avp. nothing special in there. if i turn off mediaserver and just use AVP/RPC, i cant get any playback.

the video they use is outdated. they dont use an overlay. with the 14 libs in use, a boot cannot happen against what is found there (due to no overlay,etc.). even using my native HC 3.2 libs, i dont think i can get a boot, due to the lack of overlay (i cant boot with DC_EXTENSIONS (overlay off)).

from the quick look i took, nothing really i can use from the kernel in terms of these subsystems (what i have is newer/much newer).

this is what i was looking at:

https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/tegra.git

refs/heads/android-tegra-moto-2.6.36 and refs/heads/android-tegra-moto-2.6.39

Guest pershoot

curiousity has got me.

im going to see if i can primarily use their libraries, with overlay off, and see if i can get a boot, just to ensure that i cant use any of their stuff.

will report back.

Guest pizzaboy75

Don't know if you already know or if it's of any relevance, but there has been a leak of an official Xoom Testrom yesterday:

http://www.xoomforum...-xoom-wifi.html

Maybe you will find your missing libs in there?

Edit: it is indeed a leaked Moto development build which includes properitary drivers.

Edited by pizzaboy75

Guest Cass67

The libraries we are using (the leaked ones) are definitovely not ICS .. perhpas they were from the latest HC versions, but certainly not ICS. The reasoning about that is that the libnvomx.so library imports functions that were present on the HC libmedia, but were removed from the ICS libmedia. We have full git logs, for libmedia, and, even if we don't have the hc tag on the exact point, i can approximately guess, by looking at commit dates and the moment this api disappeared, where in time the git repository could represent the actual HC release...

We have 3 choices here:

1) Use the 2.6.36 kernel as it is (backporting what is needed from .39) and using the leaked libraries -> Noomx...

2) Use the 2.6.36 kernel as it is (backporting what is needed from .39) and using the HC3.2 libraries-> graphic rendering artifacts

3) Use the 2.6.39 kernel that we have with leaked libs ->no omx, no suspend..

4) Use the 2.6.39 wingrey kernel, with wingrey libs ... Dindn-t boot the last time i tried... This specific kernel seems to be a port from the 2.6.36 to a 2.6.39 kernel... Is ther any known issue on the motorola xoom tablet running this kernelan ICS besides camera ?-- omx and suspend are working on this lernel?

5) Backport 2.6.39 wingrey kernel nvidia drivers to the 2.6.36 kernel, in the hope the wingrey libs would work and get all the googies working?

6) Try to fix suspend in the 2.6.39 kernel, and port nvidia support drivers from 2.6.39 wingrey to 2.6.39 and use google supplied libs ?

Any other thing / choice ?

I don't know if nvidia will release tegra2 libs for ics besides the ones already released for wingrey ...

Opinions ?

We are trying to address the 2 remaining things here: omx and suspension. 2.6.36 has suspension sorted out...

@point 4

As far as i can see yes .. it all works fine ...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1400958

using this kernel it seems

http://git.tiamat-dev.com/tegra2/tiamat-xoom/

The only complaint on that thread is the hdmi and camera dont work but i can see from other places these are fixed too..

post 15 and 16 on the above xda thread confirm HD youtube and netflix working!

Guest Cass67

Don't know if you already know or if it's of any relevance, but there has been a leak of an official Xoom Testrom yesterday:

http://www.xoomforum...-xoom-wifi.html

Maybe you will find your missing libs in there?

Edit: it is indeed a leaked Moto development build which includes properitary drivers.

Thanks for the info.. i did see that while looking around but im not sure it is really a leaked moto rom .. could be but i dunno if Moto would leak one from China ;) ... ive not pulled it to see what libs they are using either yet.. I suspect its the Google ones though given they seem to be the latest we have seen yet...

Cheers

Cass

Guest pershoot

curiousity has got me.

im going to see if i can primarily use their libraries, with overlay off, and see if i can get a boot, just to ensure that i cant use any of their stuff.

will report back.

unfortunately, cant get past:

E/gralloc ( 96): HDCP: hdcp_open failed, error 1

ah well. ill keep it on the backburner.

Guest ejtagle

I think you are right... The moto video subsystem is outdated... But, supposedly, the google released ICS nvidia propietary libs works with that kernel... :S ... I am with you, obviously using an outdated video ahould give less performance, but, it it works... Once everything works, nothing prevents us to start replacing outdated systems by the newer ones, until we find the (newer) subsystem that is causing trouble...

Otherwise, we will have to trust nvidia and its promise to release ICS drivers for tegra2...

Guest ejtagle

private/drm appears to load/init via libpkip; just wont go past nvhdcp.

The motorola xoom ICS target for ICS compiles a stub for that pktip lib... ;) ...

Guest pershoot

The motorola xoom ICS target for ICS compiles a stub for that pktip lib... ;) ...

do you have the stub in mention that i can reference? i could give it another go later, so this can be factored in/out.

Guest ejtagle

do you have the stub in mention that i can reference? i could give it another go later, so this can be factored in/out.

Yes,,, ;)-- Feel free to try it... Attached ... The source code of it is part of ICS 4.0.3. I have attached the compiled version :)

libpkip.rar

Guest pershoot

Yes,,, ;)-- Feel free to try it... Attached ... The source code of it is part of ICS 4.0.3. I have attached the compiled version :)

ya, was already including this (from the latest xoom teameos build), along with libtpa.

Guest ejtagle

unfortunately, cant get past:

E/gralloc ( 96): HDCP: hdcp_open failed, error 1

ah well. ill keep it on the backburner.

Disassembling the specific routine in gralloc, is is opening the device /dev/nvhdcpX where X represents the same framebuffer number as the associated fb ... Either it can´t open it, or there were some changes in the nvhdcp driver that are preventing gralloc to use it, compared with the moto kernel...Will continue investigation...

edit: I will try to strace() initialization to find out the actual problem...;)

Edited by ejtagle

Guest Cass67

Disassembling the specific routine in gralloc, is is opening the device /dev/nvhdcpX where X represents the same framebuffer number as the associated fb ... Either it can´t open it, or there were some changes in the nvhdcp driver that are preventing gralloc to use it, compared with the moto kernel...Will continue investigation...

edit: I will try to strace() initialization to find out the actual problem...;)

Interesting revelation, well to me anyway ... found out tonight when trying to debug my addition of the power menu to android that if we switch dpi to 240, HQ youtube works ;) this dpi is phone interface of course.. but HQ works nonetheless ..

Guest ejtagle

doe

Interesting revelation, well to me anyway ... found out tonight when trying to debug my addition of the power menu to android that if we switch dpi to 240, HQ youtube works ;) this dpi is phone interface of course.. but HQ works nonetheless ..

Does that mean that OMX starts working if dpi is set to 240 dpi ? -- What libnvomx.so were you using? -- The google supplied one ? (as the other ones can't load as there are missing exported functions in libmedia... ) ?

If this is true, this could be incredibly good news!! :D :D :D

Guest Cass67

doe

Does that mean that OMX starts working if dpi is set to 240 dpi ? -- What libnvomx.so were you using? -- The google supplied one ? (as the other ones can't load as there are missing exported functions in libmedia... ) ?

If this is true, this could be incredibly good news!! :D :D :D

Im using the default one we have in Alpha2

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 189660 2011-08-11 16:49 libnvomx.so

But viewing the logs again ... puts a dampener on it ... :(

label=STREAM_360P,WIFI,

With tablet interface we get

label=STREAM_720P,WIFI

So, looks like HQ on a tab is diff from HQ on a phone :(

http://pastebin.com/D75PVPdZ << 240

http://pastebin.com/Pz7BFGCG << 160

SoftAVC is my doing as i have that in boardconfig ...

Did you get my PM ?

edit : with google nvomx (different output, higher res on 160 fails on 240 too)

http://pastebin.com/Ragd4TZK << 160

http://pastebin.com/TJcT4AyW << 240

Apologies

Cass

Edited by Cass67

Guest ejtagle

Im using the default one we have in Alpha2

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 189660 2011-08-11 16:49 libnvomx.so

But viewing the logs again ... puts a dampener on it ... :(

label=STREAM_360P,WIFI,

With tablet interface we get

label=STREAM_720P,WIFI

So, looks like HQ on a tab is diff from HQ on a phone :(

http://pastebin.com/D75PVPdZ << 240

http://pastebin.com/Pz7BFGCG << 160

SoftAVC is my doing as i have that in boardconfig ...

Did you get my PM ?

edit : with google nvomx (different output, higher res on 160 fails on 240 too)

http://pastebin.com/Ragd4TZK << 160

http://pastebin.com/TJcT4AyW << 240

Apologies

Cass

There's nothing to apologize for... We are all on the same boat here... Trying to fix things. Eventually, we will get that damn OMX working as it should.... I think strace will help here... Either making the google supplied libs work, or at least showing the cause of outofresources failures we are getting ;)