Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ejtagle

Are there any possibilities to do ad-hoc connection through wireless to my mobile phone? The tablet does not see my phones wireless hotspot and I've read that the function is disabled in ICS.

In wait for 3G to get fixed I thought this could work, but no go! Also my Option Icon 7.2 dongle is not supported in VegaICS it seems.

Requires wpa_supplicant patching. Not a complex thing, but there are higher priorities, as making 3G connections work ;)

Guest brucelee666

You are absolutely right here... My fault. I forgot to update those values... sad.gif

Just glad I found the problem and it was an easy fix and not related to your new touchscreen driver.

Scanno - should have also mentioned in the config file look for "CONFIG_LOCALVERSION" currently set to "VegaICS", depending on how you get kernel either zip or git this value needs to be "VegaICS+" or wifi will not work.

If you download kernel as a zip then manually modify it, think git may add the + depending on state of git setup, but if wifi does not work then this is probably why.

Guest gh123man

greetings all, I am from the world of the acer iconia a500. I have been following this post for a while now. It has provided a great amount of help with the kernel so far. first off I am running on a .36 kernel. as others have experienced after applying pershoot's fixes for the green overlay I now experience a bad suspend of death issue. I have tried many of the things outlined in both this post and pershoot's git commit history. I still have no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? if anyone would like to take this to PM or email let me know as I dont want to clog your thread or take you off topic. again thanks everyone! this thread is a bible of tegra ics kernel information.

Guest Scanno

Scanno thanks for posting the cwm over on tabletroms, hope it works for people.

Re. wooshy1 github not sure, has a mixture of Eduardos patches so has some stuff that was removed from the latest patch and also some stuff wooshy1 has been playing with like overclocking/gpu size.

Probably best to get rel14r7 kernel source from nvidia git then get Eduardos patch here (last one he released) and copy the files from this to the correct directories on the kernel then add new touchscreen driver.

Some things to do other than change I mentioned above would be get config from beta1 and use that when compiling kernel, uncomment 48k define in board-shuttle.h as I think Cass did this also.

I also added the line "/dev/ttyUSB* 0660 radio system" into uventd.harmony.rc file in ramdisk of boot image (taken from vegacomb), dont' have 3g but this should stop the need to manually enter this if using my boot image.

Thank you. I will have a look at it. Hope i can get that in a good working git, that would be nice.

I took the wooshy1 git and used that to build the kernel. I get a zImage, but the boot.img i create with the ramdisk from eduardo's boot.img does not result in a booting system. I guess i am doing something wrong there.

For building i am using ubuntu 10.04 now and the 4.4.0 toolchain so that should not be the problem. Perhaps i am not using a correct mkbootimg.

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Vision met Tapatalk

Guest wooshy1

Thank you. I will have a look at it. Hope i can get that in a good working git, that would be nice.

I took the wooshy1 git and used that to build the kernel. I get a zImage, but the boot.img i create with the ramdisk from eduardo's boot.img does not result in a booting system. I guess i am doing something wrong there.

For building i am using ubuntu 10.04 now and the 4.4.0 toolchain so that should not be the problem. Perhaps i am not using a correct mkbootimg.

my changes to the gpu ram left the github unbootable with the old kernel command line please check out my github for newest commit. I will add the new touchscreen driver shortly.

edit:

updated TS driver now

Eduardo I did notice that in the orginal .32 TS driver if the egalax driver was not loaded it disabled something on the tegra-i2c and if the IT7260 driver was loaded it enabled a NOSTOP mode on the tegra-i2c driver is this function required? or is this surplus to requirement with the new driver?

Edited by wooshy1

Guest Scanno

my changes to the gpu ram left the github unbootable with the old kernel command line please check out my github for newest commit. I will add the new touchscreen driver shortly.

edit:

updated TS driver now

Eduardo I did notice that in the orginal .32 TS driver if the egalax driver was not loaded it disabled something on the tegra-i2c and if the IT7260 driver was loaded it enabled a NOSTOP mode on the tegra-i2c driver is this function required? or is this surplus to requirement with the new driver?

Thanks, as soon as i have time again i will sync and try to rebuild and see if i can get a bootable and working kernel.

Guest ejtagle

edit:

updated TS driver now

Those were hacks to the original i2c driver. The nostop condition can be warranteed by properly using the i2c linux apis.. And, regarding the flags set, they were a way to pass that info to the user land. Both hacks show a lack of undersdtanding of the inner workings of the i2c stack in the linux kernel. I removed them as they are not required at all, implemented the communication in the proper way ... Yes, i do NOT support using hacks if there is a proper and legit way to get things done! - Specially when the hackish way does not offer any advantage compared to the proper way of doing those same things ;)

Guest ejtagle

Again to Eduardo,

Did you already took a look at my logs?

Areo

Yes, i took a look on those logs. There is nothing wrong with them. There is no sign of anything not working... ;)

Guest ejtagle

Here's a logcat radio from VegaComb with working 3G on PoV Mobii.

I switched wifi off at about half the log and then successfully connected through 3G.

Thought it might be some help...

http://pastebin.com/dCHwvbMz

Yesterday, i 've been looking at this... The problem we have right now is that the libhuawei-ril.so that was included in ICS Beta1 is not compatible with ICS :o :o ... If you are getting "invalid response length" in the logcar -b radio, that is the cause. Without replacing it with a proper version, 3G will never work ... I have such version already compiled, but to replace the one in ICS, i need to modify the squashfs file that contains the /system/lib directory... This will take time... Or, perhaps, the other choice would be to install the new lib in /system/vendor/lib ... as this location has precedence over the /system/lib .. I will try to post the compiled version of the new lib later, so you can also test it...

Guest Scanno

Yesterday, i 've been looking at this... The problem we have right now is that the libhuawei-ril.so that was included in ICS Beta1 is not compatible with ICS ... If you are getting "invalid response length" in the logcar -b radio, that is the cause. Without replacing it with a proper version, 3G will never work ... I have such version already compiled, but to replace the one in ICS, i need to modify the squashfs file that contains the /system/lib directory... This will take time... Or, perhaps, the other choice would be to install the new lib in /system/vendor/lib ... as this location has precedence over the /system/lib .. I will try to post the compiled version of the new lib later, so you can also test it...

Eduardo,

If you post the new compiled lib, i can replace it in the lib.sfs and put it in a cwm zip tomorrow.

Guest pischla

Yesterday, i 've been looking at this... The problem we have right now is that the libhuawei-ril.so that was included in ICS Beta1 is not compatible with ICS :o :o ... If you are getting "invalid response length" in the logcar -b radio, that is the cause. Without replacing it with a proper version, 3G will never work ... I have such version already compiled, but to replace the one in ICS, i need to modify the squashfs file that contains the /system/lib directory... This will take time... Or, perhaps, the other choice would be to install the new lib in /system/vendor/lib ... as this location has precedence over the /system/lib .. I will try to post the compiled version of the new lib later, so you can also test it...

Oh, ok! Thanks for looking and no wonder then that it has not been working. Does this still require the changes suggested in the tabletroms thread i.e. chmod 0777 /dev/ttyUSB* and adding "chmod 777 /system/etc/apns-conf.xml" to /system/etc/vega_postboot.sh

Would love to try the new file.

Guest ejtagle

Oh, ok! Thanks for looking and no wonder then that it has not been working. Does this still require the changes suggested in the tabletroms thread i.e. chmod 0777 /dev/ttyUSB* and adding "chmod 777 /system/etc/apns-conf.xml" to /system/etc/vega_postboot.sh

Would love to try the new file.

There are better ways to do it... the /dev/ttyUS* owner and access permissions should be set in the initial ramdisk... There is a very good reason for this: A 3G USB dongle can be plugged anytime, and we want the android udev to assign the permissions properly... And, yes, for the apn*.xml permissions should be set as 777 ... RIL runs without root access ..

Guest Daedric1383

Hello ejtagle

Can you upload the .so ?

I have a another question to devs, why are experiencing such heavy dithering ?

Edited by Daedric1383

Guest ejtagle

Eduardo,

If you post the new compiled lib, i can replace it in the lib.sfs and put it in a cwm zip tomorrow.

Well, here we go with the required modifications ... Something is still missing, but there are no errors at all, so, perhaps it will work for some of you:

1) We need to modify the initial ramdisk ... to make sure that when a 3G dongle is inserted, being it internal or external, proper permissions are assigned. Decompress the initial ramdisk, and add to the file uventd.rc the following line

/dev/ttyUSB* 0666 root root

2) We will make the android framework to load the RIL library from a new location, so we can easily modify the library instead of regenerating the lib.sfs squashed file:

In the initial ramdisk, open init.rc, look for the line that says:

service ril-daemon /system/bin/rild -l libhuawei-ril.so -- -d /dev/ttyUSB2

and replace it by

service ril-daemon /system/bin/rild -l libhuaweigeneric-ril.so -- -d /dev/ttyUSB2

Regenerate the ramdisk. Now all ramdisk modifications are done.

3) Recreate the boot image and flash it

4) Now, we need to update the build.prop file in /system, Make sure it contains, as the last 4 lines

picasso.3g=true

rild.libpath=/system/vendor/lib/libhuaweigeneric-ril.so

rild.libargs=-d /dev/ttyUSB2

ro.pad.features.modem=true

5) Push to the tablet into /etc the apns-conf.xml file. Set its permissions to 777

6) Push into /system/etc/permissions a file called android.hardware.telephony.gsm.xml with the following content:

<permissions>

<feature name="android.hardware.telephony" />

<feature name="android.hardware.telephony.gsm" />

</permissions>

7) Push into /system/etc/ppp the files i am suppliyng below. You should also make sure /system/bin/pppd is suid ROOT

8) Push into /system/vendor/lib the libhuaweigeneric-ril.so

9) Reboot. After all those changes, you will notice the tablet logs into the cellular network, and properly displays signal strength... There are no errors in the logcat -b radio... Seems to be extremely close to working. I was unable to get APNs autodettected, though... But, it is nearly there...

I have atteched the new bootimage, with the modified ramdisk, and kernel with new touchscreen driver and the autorepeat fix, also attached the files to be modified in /system...

Also attached the source code of the new ril...

logcat -b radio welcome... Something seems to be missing, but much less than before

3g-mods.rar

myboot.rar

huawei-generic.rar

Guest pischla

Thanks, it seems to be working better than previously. Weird though that the APN's are not showing up, I'll see if I can work it out.

Nice to see the signal bar on 3G also and it seems the errors are gone regarding this in the logs.

I have attached a logcat.

http://pastebin.com/NEcAiWTy

These lines look a bit strange:

[uNSL]< UNSOL_DATA_CALL_LIST_CHANGED [DataCallState: {version=6 status=1080715492 retry=22534340 cid=0 active=152134048 type=0jj@jj@t3@R@Wd@@' ifname='R@' addresses=[] dnses=[] gateways=[(W8WW]}]

D/RILJ ( 370): [uNSL]< UNSOL_DATA_CALL_LIST_CHANGED [DataCallState: {version=6 status=1080715492 retry=22534476 cid=0 active=152134048 type=`' ifname='R@' addresses=[] dnses=[] gateways=[(W8WW]}]

EDIT: If I use this apns-conf linked below, the APN's show up.

https://bitbucket.or...c/apns-conf.xml

EDIT#2: Signal bar on 3G shows only if connected through WIFI. If I remove the WIFI network the 3G bar is grey.

Edited by pischla

Guest Daedric1383

Do we need this in build.prop:

ro.ril.hsxpa=2

ro.ril.gprsclass=10

ro.ril.hep=1

ro.ril.enable.dtm=1

ro.ril.hsdpa.category=10

ro.ril.enable.a53=1

ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1

ro.ril.htcmaskw1.bitmask=4294967295

ro.ril.htcmaskw1=14449

ro.ril.hsupa.category=5

?

Guest ejtagle
Thanks, it seems to be working better than previously. Weird though that the APN's are not showing up, I'll see if I can work it out.Nice to see the signal bar on 3G also and it seems the errors are gone regarding this in the logs.I have attached a logcat.http://pastebin.com/NEcAiWTyThese lines look a bit strange:[uNSL]< UNSOL_DATA_CALL_LIST_CHANGED [DataCallState: {version=6 status=1080715492 retry=22534340 cid=0 active=152134048 type=0jj@jj@t3@R@Wd@@' ifname=R@' addresses=[] dnses=[] gateways=[(W8WW]}]D/RILJ ( 370): [uNSL]< UNSOL_DATA_CALL_LIST_CHANGED [DataCallState: {version=6 status=1080715492 retry=22534476 cid=0 active=152134048 type=`' ifname='R@' addresses=[] dnses=[] gateways=[(W8WW]}]EDIT: If I use this apns-conf linked below, the APN's show up. https://bitbucket.or...c/apns-conf.xmlEDIT#2: Signal bar on 3G shows only if connected through WIFI. If I remove the WIFI network the 3G bar is grey.
Good point... The garbled characters seem to be something not being initialized while returning the list of active data calls... I 'll check it ;)

EDIT1: According to the logs, this seems so, so close to start working.. I wonder what is missing..

EDIT2: Yes, there was a bug in the enumeration of the current active calls. I will post the fixed ril source and the compiled libhuaweigeneric-ril.so library later.. Hopefully, it will bring us much closer to having 3G working on ICS... ;)

Attached the fixed source code. I do not have access right now to my linux box to be able to recompile the .so ... Later, I will do ;)

huawei-generic-23mar.rar

Edited by ejtagle

Guest Scanno

Good point... The garbled characters seem to be something not being initialized while returning the list of active data calls... I 'll check it ;)

EDIT1: According to the logs, this seems so, so close to start working.. I wonder what is missing..

EDIT2: Yes, there was a bug in the enumeration of the current active calls. I will post the fixed ril source and the compiled libhuaweigeneric-ril.so library later.. Hopefully, it will bring us much closer to having 3G working on ICS... ;)

Attached the fixed source code. I do not have access right now to my linux box to be able to recompile the .so ... Later, I will do ;)

Here is a cwm zip including the compiled version of your updated sources.... Did not get it to work yet. Perhaps i did not compile the huawei ril correctly...

Anyway.. here it is. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15203478/3GUpdate.zip

Guest Daedric1383

Here's a logcat created using scannos libhuawei file, which I extracted from the zip and copied to the vendor lib.

No connection unfortunately...

http://pastebin.com/PtQZvrtT

I got the same results...

I/AT ( 95): AT(12)< ^BOOT:26167599,0,0,0,20

I/AT ( 95): AT(12)< ^BOOT:26167599,0,0,0,20

No go, we're missing something...

regarding GPS, from what i could find, my 10S has a Huawei EM770W. Now, this little thing supposly has GPS. From what i could find, it must be initialized:

GERMAN SITE, translated to EN

Now, this gentleman says the GPS might be activated with the command:

AT ^ WPDGP

But where do we send this ? /dev/ttyUSB2?

Edited by Daedric1383

Guest pischla

regarding GPS, from what i could find, my 10S has a Huawei EM770W. Now, this little thing supposly has GPS. From what i could find, it must be initialized:

AT ^ WPDGP

I have that same device in my PoV Mobii and GPS worked great in VegaComb after adding a few patches by ejtagle. I guess he will be able to make it work in VegaICS also if he has the time...I think the GPS already is activated, it only needs to be configured correctly.

Eduardo, I looked at the logs that I posted above and wondered about this line:

D/RILJ ( 380): [uNSL]< UNSOL_DATA_CALL_LIST_CHANGED [DataCallState: {version=6 status=0 retry=-1 cid=1 active=0 type=IP' ifname='ppp0' addresses=[0.0.0.0] dnses=[] gateways=[]}]

it says ifname 'ppp0', should that interface be created when the connection is being made?

Guest ejtagle

I have that same device in my PoV Mobii and GPS worked great in VegaComb after adding a few patches by ejtagle. I guess he will be able to make it work in VegaICS also if he has the time...I think the GPS already is activated, it only needs to be configured correctly.

Eduardo, I looked at the logs that I posted above and wondered about this line:

D/RILJ ( 380): [uNSL]< UNSOL_DATA_CALL_LIST_CHANGED [DataCallState: {version=6 status=0 retry=-1 cid=1 active=0 type=IP' ifname='ppp0' addresses=[0.0.0.0] dnses=[] gateways=[]}]

it says ifname 'ppp0', should that interface be created when the connection is being made?

Yes, but it is not happening. The Android framework , apparently properly configures the APN, and then, it should call REQUEST_SETUP_DATA_CALL in the RIL library, which in turn inits the data call and starts the ppp daemon that finally brings up the ppp0 network interface. But the REQUEST_SETUP_DATA_CALL is never done. I think the problem is that the Android framework compilation done by Cass does not have Mobile Data roaming as a valid network access source... So, even if the 3G modem is detected, the framework does not use it. The most suspicious thing is that the signal 3G/cell strenght indicator is turned off when you turn the Wifi off... And i hve seen that the AOSP has some config files that must be modified before compiling to let the connectionManager use 3G as a valid connection .... If you look at Honeycomb logs, you will see the REQUEST_SETUP_DATA_CALL being made... Perhaps, there is a way to change the connectionManager configuration without recompiling the whole framework...

Guest ejtagle

AT ^ WPDGP

GPS depends on 3G working... In fact, ICS already has the GPS library required to make the EM770W internal GPS operational ... :)