Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Daedric1383

Thanks Corvus, i can confirm a successful boot from clean compile ;)

Wrt the problems you suffer,

The rotation is due to a problem with libsensor, it looks to be the old lib source, i need to update the modified one from the previous wingray target as its fine. There has been additional code added to that one to detect the device id thats exported from kernel.

The Camera is due to the ICS camera app, for some reason its not working.. Using the one i provide with the other builds of VegaICS works fine.

Wifi and BT will be due to not having the kernel module in the correct place or more likely could be the lack of the vega_postboot.sh script, it has stuff in there thats required for wifi/bt operation, i see thats not included in the target.

Apart from that it all looks peachy :)

Ill try and update the missing stuff to git now ... never uploaded to git before so it might be messy ...

Cheers

Cass

Is it's speed on par with B1/4.0.3 ?

Guest Cass67

Is it's speed on par with B1/4.0.3 ?

Looks to be, but to be honest ive not really used it in anger, just working through compile stuff and problems without really doing much else at the moment.

Guest Daedric1383

Looks to be, but to be honest ive not really used it in anger, just working through compile stuff and problems without really doing much else at the moment.

Agree. Sorry to trouble with unimportant questions :)

Guest the_corvus

Thanks Corvus, i can confirm a successful boot from clean compile ;)

Wrt the problems you suffer,

The rotation is due to a problem with libsensor, it looks to be the old lib source, i need to update the modified one from the previous wingray target as its fine. There has been additional code added to that one to detect the device id thats exported from kernel.

The Camera is due to the ICS camera app, for some reason its not working.. Using the one i provide with the other builds of VegaICS works fine.

Wifi and BT will be due to not having the kernel module in the correct place or more likely could be the lack of the vega_postboot.sh script, it has stuff in there thats required for wifi/bt operation, i see thats not included in the target.

Apart from that it all looks peachy :)

Ill try and update the missing stuff to git now ... never uploaded to git before so it might be messy ...

edit, should also add there are some overlay stuff that needs added to make the launcher display properlay at 120 dpi, ill add that too ..

edit2 :- ok that was fun and surprisingly painless, libsensors and other stuff updated to git.

Cheers

Cass

I pull some changes to vegaics... merge it if you think they are ok... you can also add the working camera and disable the build of the original one.

Corvus.

Guest Cass67

I pull some changes to vegaics... merge it if you think they are ok... you can also add the working camera and disable the build of the original one.

Corvus.

Nice one mate, seems scanno already merged.. gave up looking at the prebuilt apk stuff last night, i was going all squinty eyed with tiredness in the end up.

Guest Sharken

Been following the thread for quite a while now, its great to follow the progress you guys are doing.

The 4.0.4 update has improved battery usage quite a bit, by lowering the Android Os battery usage. Hopefully Vegaics 4.0.4 is close :)

It would be really great if some of the things from the Galaxy S forum over on Xda could make its way to Vegaics.

For example Bigmem support with 387 Mb free, Liveoc, Deep idle or being able to use touch in clockworkmod.

Please take these ideas as suggestions, as I have no idea how much effort they require.

Anyway thanks for a great ROM and all the effort you put into it.

Guest Scanno
Been following the thread for quite a while now, its great to follow the progress you guys are doing.

The 4.0.4 update has improved battery usage quite a bit, by lowering the Android Os battery usage. Hopefully Vegaics 4.0.4 is close

It would be really great if some of the things from the Galaxy S forum over on Xda could make its way to Vegaics.

For example Bigmem support with 387 Mb free, Liveoc, Deep idle or being able to use touch in clockworkmod.

Please take these ideas as suggestions, as I have no idea how much effort they require.

Well one thing is already there in the current beta and that is a cwm that has touch support. I have a thread over at tabletroms with a couple of cwm images i have build a while back (basedb on cwm 5.0.2.7 and 5.0.2.8)

Guest Cass67

The 4.0.4 update has improved battery usage quite a bit, by lowering the Android Os battery usage. Hopefully Vegaics 4.0.4 is close :)

Please point to examples of deep idle, bigmem and liveoc so we don't have to go searching for them ...

edit :- ok, nvm .. deep idle is a feature of omap cpu, we dont have similar hw to handle that in tegra2, i see patches released recently that sort of emulate this feature using spinlocks but at this moment im not sure they are of any use to us on Vega as our wfi is not the best .. live oc wont happen either i dont think as we are pretty much adverse to overclocking in most forms including the bus, well at lease i am with VegaICS as its stability im looking for and not a few % performance gain on quadrant.. bigmem ive still to look at to see how this is implemented...

Edited by Cass67

Guest Scanno

@Cass

I have compiled everything succesfull. I have the images created by the build proces. What do i do next? Can i just flash it with nvflash with the parameters from beta1 or should i do something else?

Guest Cass67

@Cass

I have compiled everything succesfull. I have the images created by the build proces. What do i do next? Can i just flash it with nvflash with the parameters from beta1 or should i do something else?

Yes just flash it .. you may have to compile a kernel to get the wifi module you need but for the first boot just use nvflash

Guest Scanno

Yes just flash it .. you may have to compile a kernel to get the wifi module you need but for the first boot just use nvflash

Thanks, flashed it, but did not boot. Did not get past the kernel booting. With a boot.img from eduardo i got furfher, but got into a bootloop. Have to admit that i tried cm9 source :) Recompiling with pure AOSP to see if that will work. But why is the zImage so huge in the our target? It should be around half the size... Or am i mistaken? Anyway recompiling on my hardware will take 16 hours......

Edited by Scanno

Guest Cass67

Thanks, flashed it, but did not boot. Did not get past the kernel booting. With a boot.img from eduardo i got furfher, but got into a bootloop. Have to admit that i tried cm9 source :) Recompiling with pure AOSP to see if that will work. But why is the zImage so huge in the our target? It should be around half the size... Or am i mistaken? Anyway recompiling on my hardware will take 16 hours......

I dunno about that boot.img, i use my own, try the one from beta1 and see how that goes.. get adb logcat to see why the boot is looping, should give a good idea

Guest the_corvus

What i did is:

In vegaics nvflash zip change only system.img and then replace the ar6000.ko from vegaics... This is a good firts step.

The device tree for CM may be different that the one for AOSP.

I will send you a new pull asap to get superuser and some other tweaks. Maybe it doesnt work by default because i modify too my android tree but is a good approach to make it automatic...

Corvus

Guest Sharken

@Cass:

Here are some more info on the kernel features i mentioned:

Deep Idle is made by the developer Ezekeel and can be found at XDA Forums . The Semaphore Kernel@Github also has some commits regarding Deep Idle.

Deep Idle makes the device use less battery by powering down the processor, since this patch is specific to the Galaxy S it might not work out of the box on Advent Vega.

On Galaxy S Deep Idle is controlled using NSTools.

=====

LiveOC means that the bus speed for all states will be changed by a fixed percentage. More information on Ezekeels thread here

On Galaxy S LiveOC is controlled using NSTools.

=====

Hugemem is made by Krarvind and Kali and the actual commit can be found here . There is a little more info in this post

It is a way of configuring the kernel to allow for more user memory, up to 399 MB free on the Galaxy S.

=====

Battery fix that lets you charge up to 100%, not sure if this is a problem on the Vega, anyway it is in this commit by Krarvind.

=====

Last one is Fast Charge by chad0989 over on XDA forums . It allows a USB car charger to charge using the full current the charger can support.

NOTE that there is some discussion about whether this is safe or not, in relation to for example USB 3.0.

=====

The End - Hopefully some of the features can serve as inspiration :)

Guest Cass67

@Cass:

Here are some more info on the kernel features i mentioned:

Deep Idle is made by the developer Ezekeel and can be found at XDA Forums . The Semaphore Kernel@Github also has some commits regarding Deep Idle.

Deep Idle makes the device use less battery by powering down the processor, since this patch is specific to the Galaxy S it might not work out of the box on Advent Vega.

On Galaxy S Deep Idle is controlled using NSTools.

=====

LiveOC means that the bus speed for all states will be changed by a fixed percentage. More information on Ezekeels thread here

On Galaxy S LiveOC is controlled using NSTools.

=====

Hugemem is made by Krarvind and Kali and the actual commit can be found here . There is a little more info in this post

It is a way of configuring the kernel to allow for more user memory, up to 399 MB free on the Galaxy S.

=====

Battery fix that lets you charge up to 100%, not sure if this is a problem on the Vega, anyway it is in this commit by Krarvind.

=====

Last one is Fast Charge by chad0989 over on XDA forums . It allows a USB car charger to charge using the full current the charger can support.

NOTE that there is some discussion about whether this is safe or not, in relation to for example USB 3.0.

=====

The End - Hopefully some of the features can serve as inspiration :)

Thanks ill have a read at some of this stuff and see what can occur .. i edit my earlier post, im not sure if you seen it .. researched some of this stuff and i doubt it will happen .. ill look to what i didnt see though and comment later ..

Cheers

Cass

Guest Scanno

Works like a charm. Have a working AOSP with wifi using the latest commit from corvus.

Does anyone have sources from the recovery reboot apk? Does not seem to work for me and also the powermenu.

Should we coordinate some stuff or do we work on our own.

Guest the_corvus

Works like a charm. Have a working AOSP with wifi using the latest commit from corvus.

Does anyone have sources from the recovery reboot apk? Does not seem to work for me and also the powermenu.

Should we coordinate some stuff or do we work on our own.

I'm trying to make recovery and bluetooth work... for recovery i compiled /bootable/recovery, but dont know if this is correct, because there is not binary for recovery by default. Anyway, with this binary i cant go to CWM anyway, so something i'm doing wrong.

I'm searching for some sources for a multiple chioce power menu (you know... restart, poweroff, recovery, etc...)

Corvus

Guest brucelee666

Scanno/the_corvus,

Been running 4.0.4 on vega since Saturday nearly everything working (no bluetooth, superuser denies superuser access to requests):-

Camera works with beta1 app.

Wifi working as before.

Accel sensor working.

Sound working.

Google apps loaded, gmail/youtube/play store working.

Voicesearch not working on beta1 now working.

Flash working but still stuttering sound.

Recovery wont work due to above superuser access issues for me but did you copy over "recovery and setrecovery" files from system/bin dir on beta1 as I think the Recovery Reboot apk needs these ?

Still working on resolving issues and need to recheck updates on git to see if I missed anything but nice to have my own compiled kernel + system image working pretty well on my first attempt at a full rom.

Guest Daedric1383

Scanno/the_corvus,

Been running 4.0.4 on vega since Saturday nearly everything working (no bluetooth, superuser denies superuser access to requests):-

Camera works with beta1 app.

Wifi working as before.

Accel sensor working.

Sound working.

Google apps loaded, gmail/youtube/play store working.

Voicesearch not working on beta1 now working.

Flash working but still stuttering sound.

Recovery wont work due to above superuser access issues for me but did you copy over "recovery and setrecovery" files from system/bin dir on beta1 as I think the Recovery Reboot apk needs these ?

Still working on resolving issues and need to recheck updates on git to see if I missed anything but nice to have my own compiled kernel + system image working pretty well on my first attempt at a full rom.

Great news, congratulations. Quick questions ,is the kernel version/source the same between B1/4.0.3 and 4.0.4 ?

When you say Bluetooth doesn't work, you mean it doesn't even turn on ?

Is the Accelerator still nervous ?

Guest brucelee666

Great news, congratulations. Quick questions ,is the kernel version/source the same between B1/4.0.3 and 4.0.4 ?

When you say Bluetooth doesn't work, you mean it doesn't even turn on ?

Is the Accelerator still nervous ?

Ok to clarify these points:-

Kernel still same as before, no work been done on 3.1 (not sure if Eduardo has spent any time on this)

Bluetooth just one of the issues trying to resolve, just something I am doing wrong probably my /data directory is not getting created properly (is empty when should have other items) so probably causing this and other issues.

Accel yes still nervous (shown on camera app same as beta1)

Guest Daedric1383

Ok to clarify these points:-

Kernel still same as before, no work been done on 3.1 (not sure if Eduardo has spent any time on this)

Bluetooth just one of the issues trying to resolve, just something I am doing wrong probably my /data directory is not getting created properly (is empty when should have other items) so probably causing this and other issues.

Accel yes still nervous (shown on camera app same as beta1)

i know this is heavy kernel tweaking, and that we would loose sampling rate, but couldn't the value returned by the accelerometer, either raw or not, be collected and a average of the last say, 5 samples be returned ? This would filter the jittering of the accelerometer.

There's also a way of doing a average without losing sample rater, but we would introduce lag. Store X accelerometer values on X different vars, everytime a value is read from the accelerometer, the oldest value is discarded, the average done again, and the result returned.

I'm just speaking out of my mind, i don't now what i'm talking about, i've have not even seen the source! :D Feel free to correct my gibberish if needed be :)

I would do this, but i cannot program... way above my caps.

Still, again brucelee666 and all, great work. Thank you all.

Guest ejtagle

i know this is heavy kernel tweaking, and that we would loose sampling rate, but couldn't the value returned by the accelerometer, either raw or not, be collected and a average of the last say, 5 samples be returned ? This would filter the jittering of the accelerometer.

There's also a way of doing a average without losing sample rater, but we would introduce lag. Store X accelerometer values on X different vars, everytime a value is read from the accelerometer, the oldest value is discarded, the average done again, and the result returned.

I'm just speaking out of my mind, i don't now what i'm talking about, i've have not even seen the source! :D Feel free to correct my gibberish if needed be :)

I would do this, but i cannot program... way above my caps.

Still, again brucelee666 and all, great work. Thank you all.

There is a way to do accelerometer sampling filtering without introducing lag and without reducing sampling rate... It is called something like "discriminate validity of samples based on previous history of samples"... But, i am not sure the problem actually is the accelerometer itself... For example, the camera app seems to be designed to hold the tablet vertically, not horizontally. That is the c<use of the "nervous" rotating icons :o

Related to 3.1 linux kernel, i just tried a quick test, but the kernel somehow does not complete the boot process... It requires more investigation. Probably something silly is missing, but i still have to find it out

What i am more interested, relating 4.0.4 AOSP, is to know if 3G can be made to work out of the box, as it should ;)

Guest Scanno

I'm trying to make recovery and bluetooth work... for recovery i compiled /bootable/recovery, but dont know if this is correct, because there is not binary for recovery by default. Anyway, with this binary i cant go to CWM anyway, so something i'm doing wrong.

I'm searching for some sources for a multiple chioce power menu (you know... restart, poweroff, recovery, etc...)

Corvus

Recovery will not work. The vega needs some extra files. Use the recovery.img i have in my thread over at tabletroms. It is a touch based one (well with touch buttons on the right side of the screen).

Guest Scanno

There is a way to do accelerometer sampling filtering without introducing lag and without reducing sampling rate... It is called something like "discriminate validity of samples based on previous history of samples"... But, i am not sure the problem actually is the accelerometer itself... For example, the camera app seems to be designed to hold the tablet vertically, not horizontally. That is the c<use of the "nervous" rotating icons :o

Related to 3.1 linux kernel, i just tried a quick test, but the kernel somehow does not complete the boot process... It requires more investigation. Probably something silly is missing, but i still have to find it out

What i am more interested, relating 4.0.4 AOSP, is to know if 3G can be made to work out of the box, as it should ;)

As soon as i have a working recovery reboot on 4.0.4 i will test it with a huawei usb dongle (worked on vegacomb)