Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Scanno
Scanno,

Saw the post on tabletroms about systemui error when setting notifications to "off", had a look and this seems to be caused by these lines, In the device.mk file-

# uses mdpi artwork where available

PRODUCT_AAPT_CONFIG := normal mdpi

PRODUCT_AAPT_PREF_CONFIG := mdpi

PRODUCT_LOCALES += mdpi

Had the same error so removed these lines and rebuilt code and can now set notifications to "off", will increase app and framework-res size but adds the missing resource that seemed to cause the systemui error.

Thanks,

Will try that. Was going to do a complete rebuild anyway with the updated AOSP sources.

Guest brucelee666

Scanno,

re. mentions of black screen on boot/reboot after installing your vegacream rom (now this could be something else) but I think the issue is caused by having both "provision.apk" and "setupwizard.apk" in your app.sfs.

Cass removed provision.apk from vegaics and I found having both apk's gave the same sort of results as your users are reporting and also removed "provision.apk" from my early builds and since I get no black screen, as both apk's are trying to do roughly the same thing.

Try removing "provision.apk" from your next release hopefully it helps.

re. dictionary in LatinIME - This info may explain some things link (you may already know this) but I think adding the CM dictionary and copying how they setup by adding to the overlay structure of the shuttle device, see link.

Have not tried this so you may have to play about with it but using the CM stuff and rebuilding LatinIME should get a dictionary for the keyboard, upto you which ones to include or all.

Guest Scanno
Scanno,

re. mentions of black screen on boot/reboot after installing your vegacream rom (now this could be something else) but I think the issue is caused by having both "provision.apk" and "setupwizard.apk" in your app.sfs.

Cass removed provision.apk from vegaics and I found having both apk's gave the same sort of results as your users are reporting and also removed "provision.apk" from my early builds and since I get no black screen, as both apk's are trying to do roughly the same thing.

Try removing "provision.apk" from your next release hopefully it helps.

re. dictionary in LatinIME - This info may explain some things link (you may already know this) but I think adding the CM dictionary and copying how they setup by adding to the overlay structure of the shuttle device, see link.

Have not tried this so you may have to play about with it but using the CM stuff and rebuilding LatinIME should get a dictionary for the keyboard, upto you which ones to include or all.

Thanks,

Will have a look at it.

Found this about apk files that are in cm builds:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Barebones

Will remove the provision.apk in my next build.

About the dictionaries, was thinking about using the cm9 lantinime, so will try that.

Guest ryanrudolf

@scanno

thanks for the updated aosp . . . have questions on the latest build -

if i want to squash the media to save space, do i just mksquashfs the media folder in the zip, once squashed removed the contents of media folder and place media.sfs on the zip ?

i was able to unsquashfs / mksquashfs the app.sfs and reduce it to around 10MB, will follow the wiki from CM and remove some more. is it safe to remove both the provision.apk and setupwizard.apk?

Guest Scanno
@scanno

thanks for the updated aosp . . . have questions on the latest build -

if i want to squash the media to save space, do i just mksquashfs the media folder in the zip, once squashed removed the contents of media folder and place media.sfs on the zip ?

i was able to unsquashfs / mksquashfs the app.sfs and reduce it to around 10MB, will follow the wiki from CM and remove some more. is it safe to remove both the provision.apk and setupwizard.apk?

Do a mksquashfs -all-root -always-use-fragments. In the empty directory put a dummy file, otherwise the installer will not copy that to the tablet. You also have to edit the ramdisk to mount it to /system/media.

Setupwizard.apk is part of gapps.

Edited by Scanno

Guest Scanno

@all,

I am trying to access the sdcard at boot time. I have added init.d support and the script is called, but the sdcard is not mounted yet. Is there a way to wait until the sdcard is mounted?

Guest Areo

@scanno

Nice work on VegaCream. Runs smooth.

@all nice work on 3g

Ok now back to business :P

I am working on wifi, now it seems to kick in sometimes, sometimes not.

I traced the problem to wpa_supplicant and wpa_supplicant.conf. Also I updated wpa_supplicant.conf as this was still an example...

Kind Regards,

Areo

Edited by Areo

Guest Areo

@all,

I am trying to access the sdcard at boot time. I have added init.d support and the script is called, but the sdcard is not mounted yet. Is there a way to wait until the sdcard is mounted?

You could try to set sdcard mounting before system mounting in the ramdisk but I doubt it will get the result you want.

Kind Regards,

Areo

Guest Scanno

You could try to set sdcard mounting before system mounting in the ramdisk but I doubt it will get the result you want.

Kind Regards,

Areo

The thing i want to do is to see if a certain file is on the sdcard so i can set a setting. Say the file /mnt/sdcard/vegacream/boot_usbhost_enable is there, then an echo 1 > /sys/usbbus/usb_host is done, so the usb port is set to host. This can help people who have touchscreen problems and want to recalibrate the screen.

Also i am thinking of something like: /mnt/sdcard/vegacream/set160dpi for people who want to have 160dpi instead of the 120dpi VegaCream standard has.... This can be done with a one-time script (editing the build.prop file).

Guest Areo

The thing i want to do is to see if a certain file is on the sdcard so i can set a setting. Say the file /mnt/sdcard/vegacream/boot_usbhost_enable is there, then an echo 1 > /sys/usbbus/usb_host is done, so the usb port is set to host. This can help people who have touchscreen problems and want to recalibrate the screen.

Also i am thinking of something like: /mnt/sdcard/vegacream/set160dpi for people who want to have 160dpi instead of the 120dpi VegaCream standard has.... This can be done with a one-time script (editing the build.prop file).

I don't think that is going to work. What you can do is what we did on HoneyIce. Alter settings.apk and put the extra option in it and let it reboot after that. That's way easier and maybe even better for the users. Because where can they select that they want to get 160dpi (I run it btw and I like it a lot more then 120)?

Kind Regards,

Areo

Edit: About wifi, it seems to come back alive in about 5-6 seconds after sleep mode. This is only with a changed wpa_supplicant.conf.

Edit2: Wifi now stays alive at sleep but is killed on wake up, then after 6-10 sec it comes back... Will pull a logcat

Edit3: Ran out of time, here is the configured wpa_supplicant.conf, nothing special. It seem to help with short sleeps. You can also try ctrl_interface=eth0 I find it working better. The problem is that it is killed when it wakes up, but sometimes also when sleeping. Then it gives the well known out of reach statement. Well we are 1 tiny step closer to fixing it with a configured wpa_supplicant.conf

Edit4: As the .conf is now ok in my opinion. I think the problem lies with the wpa_supplicant (/system/bin). Maybe we need to take a look at the source. Or is this all ok? It could also be ar6000.ko as I only thought about wpa_supplicant because the .conf wasn't configured..

wifi.zip

Edited by Areo

Guest MikhailM

Thank you, for trying to help us (those with insensitive screens). I have discovered that the POV Mobii Tegra 10.1 stock rom is set to host be default. Do not know if this helps - seeing how they do it. In other respects it is only a slightly modified stock rom (3D launches option, logo, etc..)

Scanno, to help with selecting host for touchscreen sufferers it might be best to use what Newbe5 did in his earlier VegaComb roms (might be 1.7) - holding down the back button after starting the boot process booted the tablet in host mode. (Re-tried it recently trying to cure my touchscreen before I finally learned to use ADB and your host command line.)

Edited by MikhailM

Guest brucelee666

Scanno,

Try adding this to the end of vega_postboot.sh and also create a file named test1 (add text to file so its not 0bytes) on sdcard, quick hack but seems to work (not tested with usb_host but with another sys/devices/platform value and it changed that as required):-

i=0

while [ $i -le 100000 ]

do

if [ -e /sdcard/test1 ];

then

echo 1 > /sys/usbbus/usb_host

else

echo "leave as is"

fi

i='expr $i + 1'

done

Change the sdcard to location/filename of your choice, may also be able to reduce the value in while loop but this allows time for sdcard to mount and check file exists if it exists change value.

Edited by brucelee666

Guest Scanno

I don't think that is going to work. What you can do is what we did on HoneyIce. Alter settings.apk and put the extra option in it and let it reboot after that. That's way easier and maybe even better for the users. Because where can they select that they want to get 160dpi (I run it btw and I like it a lot more then 120)?

Kind Regards,

Areo

Edit: About wifi, it seems to come back alive in about 5-6 seconds after sleep mode. This is only with a changed wpa_supplicant.conf.

Edit2: Wifi now stays alive at sleep but is killed on wake up, then after 6-10 sec it comes back... Will pull a logcat

Edit3: Ran out of time, here is the configured wpa_supplicant.conf, nothing special. It seem to help with short sleeps. You can also try ctrl_interface=eth0 I find it working better. The problem is that it is killed when it wakes up, but sometimes also when sleeping. Then it gives the well known out of reach statement. Well we are 1 tiny step closer to fixing it with a configured wpa_supplicant.conf

Edit4: As the .conf is now ok in my opinion. I think the problem lies with the wpa_supplicant (/system/bin). Maybe we need to take a look at the source. Or is this all ok? It could also be ar6000.ko as I only thought about wpa_supplicant because the .conf wasn't configured..

Welcome back :-)

Regarding the source of wpa_supplicant... it is the adjusted source by eduardo. What i do know is that there seems to be something wrong with powermanagement. If you look into the logcat, there are lines with error/warnings regarding that. I guess that is the ar6000 driver that is causing the problems with the powermanagement.

Anyway in the meantime i have permission from the author of advanced wifi lock to include it into vegacream.

Guest ejtagle

Yes, it is the power management of the AR6002 driver the problem.. The source code of the driver is not clean regarding powermanagement (i did not write it), and, as all know, there is no hw documentation on the AR6002 chip, so fixing it is just a matter of trial and error... I will start pursuing that issue in a little time ;)

Guest Scanno
Yes, it is the power management of the AR6002 driver the problem.. The source code of the driver is not clean regarding powermanagement (i did not write it), and, as all know, there is no hw documentation on the AR6002 chip, so fixing it is just a matter of trial and error... I will start pursuing that issue in a little time ;)

Thanks,

I hope you will be able to solve this. I think it is the last thing remaining for a almost perfect running ics.

Guest JHAres

Eduardo,

Are you still working or testing the "bouncing" touches (commonly called "oversensitive) in the touchscreen ?

After installing the last Vegacream, the issue went back... after a lot of attempts (modedstock, test rom, full wipe, etc, etc) now is working almost normal... loks like a random issue, but obviously is not,... When the Shuttle Tool for calibrating is ran, he said "IT7260" device (not sure about the number now) is not found... Maybe a driver issue ?

If you need testing someting just let me know.

Kind Regards,

Javier.

P.S.: (in spanish, sorry) Eduardo, soy paisano tuyo de Baires, y también del gremio de IT... si querés contactarme mandame un MP o lo que creas mejor, asi te ayudo a tracear el fcking problema de la pantalla... bue, si querés... ;-)

Guest ejtagle

Eduardo,

Are you still working or testing the "bouncing" touches (commonly called "oversensitive) in the touchscreen ?

After installing the last Vegacream, the issue went back... after a lot of attempts (modedstock, test rom, full wipe, etc, etc) now is working almost normal... loks like a random issue, but obviously is not,... When the Shuttle Tool for calibrating is ran, he said "IT7260" device (not sure about the number now) is not found... Maybe a driver issue ?

If you need testing someting just let me know.

Kind Regards,

Javier.

P.S.: (in spanish, sorry) Eduardo, soy paisano tuyo de Baires, y también del gremio de IT... si querés contactarme mandame un MP o lo que creas mejor, asi te ayudo a tracear el fcking problema de la pantalla... bue, si querés... ;-)

Let's hope VegaCream is using the latest touchscreen driver i wrote ,,,, that was posted here , in this thread... I haven't checked if it is or not. The IT7260 calibration app does not work witht he 2.6.36+ kernels. I did not implement the private interface required for that app to work., The only app that should work and should recalibrate the touchscreen is the ShuttleTool application. And that is the only way to recalibrate the screen...

Guest Scanno

Let's hope VegaCream is using the latest touchscreen driver i wrote ,,,, that was posted here , in this thread... I haven't checked if it is or not. The IT7260 calibration app does not work witht he 2.6.36+ kernels. I did not implement the private interface required for that app to work., The only app that should work and should recalibrate the touchscreen is the ShuttleTool application. And that is the only way to recalibrate the screen...

VegaCream is using your driver. It is the kernel brucelee666 compiled.

Guest Scanno

@Eduardo,

Look like there is something with the kernel. It is locked @ 1000Mhz. If i look at cpu master the frequency does not change at all....

.... Just figured something out. I disabled Advances Wifi Lock, but that one is not the problem. It looks like a problem with the wifi driver......

If i let the tablet go to sleep and after it wakes up, the cpu goes back to its idle state (216 Mhz), but the wifi does not come back (or at least it takes a long time). Ater the wifi comes back, the frequency does change and is not locked @ 1000 Mhz.

Perhaps this helps looking at the wifi problem.

This locking i am seeing both with setcpu and cpu master. CPU is locked @ 1Ghz until put to sleep and waked up again.

Edited by Scanno

Guest brucelee666

@Eduardo,

Look like there is something with the kernel. It is locked @ 1000Mhz. If i look at cpu master the frequency does not change at all....

.... Just figured something out. I disabled Advances Wifi Lock, but that one is not the problem. It looks like a problem with the wifi driver......

If i let the tablet go to sleep and after it wakes up, the cpu goes back to its idle state (216 Mhz), but the wifi does not come back (or at least it takes a long time). Ater the wifi comes back, the frequency does change and is not locked @ 1000 Mhz.

Perhaps this helps looking at the wifi problem.

This locking i am seeing both with setcpu and cpu master. CPU is locked @ 1Ghz until put to sleep and waked up again.

Scanno,

I'm not Eduardo but I'll take a shot at answering.

Problem seems to be a kernel config option, on Eduardos original config for the kernel he had "CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y" now Cass must have changed this to not set and set "CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_INTERACTIVE=y".

Now you would think not really an issue but I guess it caused some conflict somewhere maybe as we set some freq stuff in init.harmony.rc in boot image that resulted in being stuck at 1000mhz until sleep.

As I took the config from vegaics for my kernel builds I had the same issue, created a new zImage with the above option changed and now cpumaster shows the cpu freq moving from 216-1000 scaling as you would expect (should help battery).

Scanno - forget PM I sent repackaged into split rar and attached here give it a try see if it fixes the problem and have a nice holiday with your family (same kernel as before new touchscreen etc. only gov_freq change).

zImage.part1.rar

zImage.part2.rar

Edited by brucelee666

Guest JHAres

VegaCream is using your driver. It is the kernel brucelee666 compiled.

@Eduardo and Scanno....

Thank you both, really...

As I said, the issue seems to go and back in a "random" way... Yesterday I installed the VegaCream 2.1 (via CWM), with full wipe (clears and formats), and the "bouncing" screen was back... after several calibrations with Shuttle Tool, with the original rom calibration tool (Module MP) and some reboots, looks the screen is working fine... but I know the issue may come back... :blink:

Seems I must to learn to live with this from time to time...anyway, for me is a minor issue in the really wonderfull VegaCream.... :P

Thanks you both again,

Javier.

P.S.: @Scanno.... BTW... Have a really great vacation with your family...!!! :D

Guest Scanno

Scanno,

Problem seems to be a kernel config option, on Eduardos original config for the kernel he had "CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y" now Cass must have changed this to not set and set "CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_INTERACTIVE=y".

Now you would think not really an issue but I guess it caused some conflict somewhere maybe as we set some freq stuff in init.harmony.rc in boot image that resulted in being stuck at 1000mhz until sleep.

As I took the config from vegaics for my kernel builds I had the same issue, created a new zImage with the above option changed and now cpumaster shows the cpu freq moving from 216-1000 scaling as you would expect (should help battery).

Scanno - forget PM I sent repackaged into split rar and attached here give it a try see if it fixes the problem and have a nice holiday with your family (same kernel as before new touchscreen etc. only gov_freq change).

Thanks. I will give it a try. I really should try again to build the kernel myself ;)

As soon as i have time (hopefully a couple of hours before my vacation) i will use your zImage with the ramdisk i use for VegaCream beta2.1.

Guest Scanno

Hi,

I have another kernel related question... remember that when you use an usb stick the tablet does a hot reboot. Well that is solved by changing the vold.fstab (comment out the dev_mount to system_usb).

But now there are still two problems left:

When unmounting the usb stick (from the settings /storage menu) the sdcard gets unmounted also...

The usb stick gets mounted as root and user writeable only. You can write to the usb stick with a filemanager that has root permissions.

Anyone have an idea where to look ?

Guest Scanno

Scanno,

Thanks,

Seems to work very nicely. CPU frequency changing right after boot.

Guest Areo

Thanks,

Seems to work very nicely. CPU frequency changing right after boot.

Could you post the boot.img? Also could you post the commandline you are using?

About powermanagement. I think this is the last mayor issue with ics for vega. Will this also fix the battery drain (compared to HoneyComb)?

Eduardo, is there any chance you will be able to fix this soon?

Kind Regards,

Areo