Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest brucelee666

@Eduardo,

I do not know what is wrong in compiling the ar6000 module. The kernel include file gets loaded correctly because there are sources compiled that needs sched.h I have also tried compiling in ubuntu 10.04, but there i have a too old glibc. I am compiling on ubuntu 12.04, so i guess there must be some environment setting not correct or some other dependencies. I cannot find a solution...

Scanno,

Just to say I thought I would have a look and downloaded Eduardos file and also could not get it to build initially, adding "#include <linux/sched.h> into the "ar6000_drv.h" (just below "#include <linux/semaphore.h>" file located in host/os/linux/include allowed it to compile and created the ar6000.ko in the bin directory as you would expect - you say above you did this so not sure why it did not work for you.

This was in 10.04 ubuntu and using the prebuilt toolchain 4.4.0 from the ICS source, you could download the atheros dir from wooshy1 git here and make the changes to the build39.sh file and run the sh to compile as this one compiled without having to change above.

Edited by brucelee666

Guest ejtagle

@Eduardo,

I do not know what is wrong in compiling the ar6000 module. The kernel include file gets loaded correctly because there are sources compiled that needs sched.h I have also tried compiling in ubuntu 10.04, but there i have a too old glibc. I am compiling on ubuntu 12.04, so i guess there must be some environment setting not correct or some other dependencies. I cannot find a solution...

There are no other dependencies... If the kernel compiles, the ar6000 module should also compile... I use ubuntu 11.04 to compile it, Check if the sched.h contains the definitions for TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE. and sched_timeout() ... Seems somehow those definitions are skipped at compilation time...

Guest brucelee666

Eduardo,

Have not forgotten about the 3.1 kernel just not had time to look at in detail, have attached a zip of the logs I got from the kernel built with the 2802 patch as this one at least boots until the android boot logo and also gives adb access.

You may see something of interest that may help with this, until I look into the new patch issues.

31kern2802patchlogs.rar

Guest Scanno

Scanno,

Just to say I thought I would have a look and downloaded Eduardos file and also could not get it to build initially, adding "#include <linux/sched.h> into the "ar6000_drv.h" (just below "#include <linux/semaphore.h>" file located in host/os/linux/include allowed it to compile and created the ar6000.ko in the bin directory as you would expect - you say above you did this so not sure why it did not work for you.

This was in 10.04 ubuntu and using the prebuilt toolchain 4.4.0 from the ICS source, you could download the atheros dir from wooshy1 git here and make the changes to the build39.sh file and run the sh to compile as this one compiled without having to change above.

Thanks a lot... I just checked if sched.h was called during the build. I did not check if it was included in the include file ar6000_drv.h. After including the #include It builds and now and have a ar6000.ko module...

Edited by Scanno

Guest Scanno

Hi All,

Does anyone have any idea how i can change the way usb slave is used. Since ICS we have been using MTP as the method to transfer files from the PC to the tablet. Now personally i would like to have the possibility to use the old mass_storage device way. I know the disadvantages of this method, but Linux does not have good support for MTP and also the old WinXP does have problems with that (at work we still use XP :-\ ) and i need to transfer files.

So i am looking for a way that we can switch between the two. Anyone have some ideas about that ?

Guest ejtagle

Eduardo,

Have not forgotten about the 3.1 kernel just not had time to look at in detail, have attached a zip of the logs I got from the kernel built with the 2802 patch as this one at least boots until the android boot logo and also gives adb access.

You may see something of interest that may help with this, until I look into the new patch issues.

By looking at the logs , this is pretty close to be working... I will post a lit later, a revised patchset against 3.1 kernel, trying to fix all the issues. The only thing that is delaying that, is that something has changed in the tegra uart kernel driver that prevents uarts to work ... That is affecting bluetooth (it uses a hw uart) and , without fixing that, Bluetooth does not work (and crashes the kernel!) ... Folio Ac100 guys should be having the same issues, as i tried to use their usart init code, and , as soon as i try to open an usart, kernel crashes...

Guest Scanno

By looking at the logs , this is pretty close to be working... I will post a lit later, a revised patchset against 3.1 kernel, trying to fix all the issues. The only thing that is delaying that, is that something has changed in the tegra uart kernel driver that prevents uarts to work ... That is affecting bluetooth (it uses a hw uart) and , without fixing that, Bluetooth does not work (and crashes the kernel!) ... Folio Ac100 guys should be having the same issues, as i tried to use their usart init code, and , as soon as i try to open an usart, kernel crashes...

Cool... at least i will not get bored on my remaining free days...

Like brucelee666 i could not get the 3.1 kernel booting...

Guest brucelee666

Eduardo,

Thanks for looking at the logs and look forward to the new patch.

For further info relating to 1206 patch:-

I said before that the nvflash process would not complete with this patch, this seems to be caused by a tegra2_clocks.c issue - this file was amended as part of the 2802 but not the 1206 patch - adding this patched file to the 1206 patch allowed the nvflash process to complete.

Guest brucelee666

Scanno,

Noticed you released a new beta and would I be correct in thinking you used 4.0.4r2.1 and the new libs that Eduardo linked to from derartem's git ?

If I am correct I am surprised you used these libs (although maybe you did not have issues when viewing videos) as when I have used them they give issues:-

1 - Stock launcher rotate portrait to landscape and you get a redraw glitch on the statusbar

2 - Play videos in browser and you get a number if issues i.e. video plays but you get a red/black square on top so sound but no video or you press video to play and nothing happens so you have to press again to actually get it to play and a couple of others

3 - play a video and try to move to another site browser hangs and needs restarting

Some videos play fine some will give issues and seems to be when overlayed with other graphics like youtube ads, going back to old libs fixes this.

I put it down to new libs need new 3.1 kernel and its graphics system but I could be wrong.

Edited by brucelee666

Guest Oldbarzo

Hi Bruce Lee

I am running VegaCream Beta 3 and BBC I player does no play properly, initial screen flashes with picture

and then blanks but sound continues playing but no video. Netflix plays OK and YouTube.

Oldbarzo

(Stransky)

Guest Scanno
Scanno,

Noticed you released a new beta and would I be correct in thinking you used 4.0.4r2.1 and the new libs that Eduardo linked to from derartem's git ?

If I am correct I am surprised you used these libs (although maybe you did not have issues when viewing videos) as when I have used them they give issues:-

1 - Stock launcher rotate portrait to landscape and you get a redraw glitch on the statusbar

2 - Play videos in browser and you get a number if issues i.e. video plays but you get a red/black square on top so sound but no video or you press video to play and nothing happens so you have to press again to actually get it to play and a couple of others

3 - play a video and try to move to another site browser hangs and needs restarting

Some videos play fine some will give issues and seems to be when overlayed with other graphics like youtube ads, going back to old libs fixes this.

I put it down to new libs need new 3.1 kernel and its graphics system but I could be wrong.

You are correct. But I have not had any problems with viewing videos, but then again I did not use the browser to view them. I have played YouTube videos and did not have problems. Anyway I will release a new version. I have tried to use the fixes in the shuttle power management for the 3.1 kernel. Got the .39 kernel compiled, so I hope that will solve the suspend of death problem. If that works there will be a new release with the old libs.

Edited by Scanno

Guest brucelee666

Scanno,

Don't replace the libs because of my post if you think they are working correctly.

I need to look into it further but could also be that you get browser and updated webkit from cm9 I think and I am on the aosp versions which may have issues in the latest release.

Although any glitches I get are removed when I go back to the old libs and the statusbar redraw glitch has nothing to do with the browser.

Guest Scanno
Scanno,

Don't replace the libs because of my post if you think they are working correctly.

I need to look into it further but could also be that you get browser and updated webkit from cm9 I think and I am on the aosp versions which may have issues in the latest release.

Although any glitches I get are removed when I go back to the old libs and the statusbar redraw glitch has nothing to do with the browser.

I will have a further look. Will try to play some YouTube through the browser. .39 Kernel with the shuttle_power.c from 3.1 seems to work. Did not try to get the suspend of death yet. Hmmm kernel gets immediately in a sleep... needs some more work.

Edit:

OK YouTube in browser gives some problems. Will see if old libs will work.

Edited by Scanno

Guest richardmlea

Hi scanno, Did you see the thing about Voice search not working a few pages back (may have been on the vegacream thread but it was while you were away).

think bruce said it was working in his release and should be easy to correct. I am in a rush now so dont have time to search but the reply was after I reported Voice seach not working (search my posts).

Sorry I cant be more hepful, no time.

Guest Scanno
Hi scanno, Did you see the thing about Voice search not working a few pages back (may have been on the vegacream thread but it was while you were away).

think bruce said it was working in his release and should be easy to correct. I am in a rush now so dont have time to search but the reply was after I reported Voice seach not working (search my posts).

Sorry I cant be more hepful, no time.

I have brucelee666 version of voicesearch, but that version does not work also.

Guest brucelee666

I have brucelee666 version of voicesearch, but that version does not work also.

Not sure what else to add, I double/triple checked just to make sure.

I have 2 search apps one with magnifying glass and one with a G on both I can click on the search bar and type search or click on the microphone and it displays a box asking me to speak now, I speak into mic and it gives a list of items based on what I said, I click an item and it takes me to search in browser.

This is also in the search option in top left corner of stock launcher microphone next to google, click on google type search, click on mic speak search as before gives list and then opens browser for that search term.

I can also open the youtube app and click on the mic and speak my search term it displays items again based on what I said pretty accurate in what it picks up.

I have disabled the voicesearch.apk ver 3.0.1 in settings and the mic disappears from search just to make sure it was using it.

As we are both using the same kernel and device source and if you now have the apk and copied over all the libs that come with that zip I linked to and it still won't work then not much more I can add sorry.

Edited by brucelee666

Guest brucelee666

I now have 3.1 kernel booting and running.

Attached a zImage for Scanno please do not use for a release this is the first build and still need to investigate and work on issues.

But this will allow you to create a boot image and test, will post details later and still need to fix so version appears in settings but to confirm check proc/version.

edit - adb still works, mtp connects but does not display sd contents, need to recompile wifi for new kernel

Should also put disclaimer if you use it and it does something bad you use at your own risk

zImage31kern.part1.rar

zImage31kern.part2.rar

Edited by brucelee666

Guest Daedric1383

I don't know if this is kernel related, but given the error, it might.

I'm using VegaCreamB3, and i've done in terminal

setprop persist.sys.usb.config mass_storage,adb

and

setprop sys.usb.config mass_storage,adb

when i plug the device in windows, i get a error of a unknown usb device, and gets:

android_work: sent uevent USB_STATE=CONNECTED

android_work: sent uevent USB_STATE=DISCONNECTED

a dozen times... and nothing :) Is this behaviou expected?

Guest ejtagle

I don't know if this is kernel related, but given the error, it might.

I'm using VegaCreamB3, and i've done in terminal

setprop persist.sys.usb.config mass_storage,adb

and

setprop sys.usb.config mass_storage,adb

when i plug the device in windows, i get a error of a unknown usb device, and gets:

android_work: sent uevent USB_STATE=CONNECTED

android_work: sent uevent USB_STATE=DISCONNECTED

a dozen times... and nothing Is this behaviou expected?

Yes, you need to add proper configuration to the init.harmony.usb,rc file contained in the ramdisk. Otherwise, the android gadget driver does not know how to identify itself to windows... mass_storage support is still in the android gadget stack, but all configuration required for it were removed by Nvidia...

Guest ejtagle

Attached my latest patchset against 3.1 kernel... It compiles, but had no time to test it... I am just working on another device... Please, even if you don't use it, take a look at the uart initialization code. Without it, the kernel crashes as soon as anything tries to use a serial port. In the Shuttle case, this means a kernel crash as soon as you enable bluetooth...

POV-3.1-24jun.rar

Guest Scanno

I now have 3.1 kernel booting and running.

Attached a zImage for Scanno please do not use for a release this is the first build and still need to investigate and work on issues.

But this will allow you to create a boot image and test, will post details later and still need to fix so version appears in settings but to confirm check proc/version.

edit - adb still works, mtp connects but does not display sd contents, need to recompile wifi for new kernel

Should also put disclaimer if you use it and it does something bad you use at your own risk

Thanks,

What did you change to make it compile and boot?

In the mean time i will try the latest patches from Eduardo.

Just to be sure to start with a clean start, i downloaded a snapshot of the 3.1 nvidia kernel from the nvidia site (the link brucelee666 gave a few posts back).

I applied the patches from Eduardo (the latest ones from today). I used the .config from the zImage brucelee666 posted. I added the config parameter in /drivers/mtd/KConfig and Makefile for support of the MTD_PARTITIONS (which should not be needed because the correct object is added by default looking at the KConfig/Makefile).

Compiled the kernel with the same commandline i am using for the .39 kernel. Compiling is ok, i am getting a zImage. Using the same ramdisk as .39 kernel and the same i used with the 3.1 zImage from BruceLee666. Tried both the 4.4.0 and 4.4.3 toolchain, but i cannot get a booting kernel.....

So what am i missing.... Brucelee666 what additional modifications did you make?

Any suggestions?

Edited by Scanno

Guest Scanno

@brucelee666

Tried your kernel... Indeed it boots, but as you said it has some issues. Sound does not work for me and sdcard is not available.

I am trying to build the 3.1 kernel with the latest patches from eduardo. Did not get a booting kernel, but will try with the MTD_PARTITIONS change you mentioned earlier. It is still in your .config so hope i can boot with that change.

Edited by Scanno

Guest brucelee666

@brucelee666

Tried your kernel... Indeed it boots, but as you said it has some issues. Sound does not work for me and sdcard is not available.

I am trying to build the 3.1 kernel with the latest patches from eduardo. Did not get a booting kernel, but will try with the MTD_PARTITIONS change you mentioned earlier. It is still in your .config so hope i can boot with that change.

Scanno,

Glad you managed to look at it and it also booted fine, yeah noticed sound not working also ext. sd card and wifi not working think due to mmc/sdhci issue.

Its basically the 1206 patch from Eduardo with the tegra2_clocks.c from 2802 and the tegra_nand.c from 2802 with my config and kconfig change for MTD_PARTITIONS both mentioned in previous posts added to the 3.1 kernel.

Will have to look at Eduardos new patch and compare to previous and see whats changed but its further than I was yesterday at this time when it did not even boot, also I can turn on bluetooth in android settings and it searches for devices without crashing ? and on inital look status bar glitch seen on previous kernel with new libs is not there so maybe as I expected they will work better with this kernel but need wifi to check further.

Not sure when I will have time today but as soon as I can will check a few things and get a patch posted that allowed me to compile/boot and image.

Guest Scanno

Scanno,

Glad you managed to look at it and it also booted fine, yeah noticed sound not working also ext. sd card and wifi not working think due to mmc/sdhci issue.

Its basically the 1206 patch from Eduardo with the tegra2_clocks.c from 2802 and the tegra_nand.c from 2802 with my config and kconfig change for MTD_PARTITIONS both mentioned in previous posts added to the 3.1 kernel.

Will have to look at Eduardos new patch and compare to previous and see whats changed but its further than I was yesterday at this time when it did not even boot, also I can turn on bluetooth in android settings and it searches for devices without crashing ? and on inital look status bar glitch seen on previous kernel with new libs is not there so maybe as I expected they will work better with this kernel but need wifi to check further.

Not sure when I will have time today but as soon as I can will check a few things and get a patch posted that allowed me to compile/boot and image.

Thanks... i compiled a booting kernel 3.1 based on the 24-06 patches and the two files you got from the 28-02 patches.... But i also have no mounted sdcard and no sound.

Hmmm compiling the AR6000 module gives errors again with the new kernel

CC [M]  /home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.o

/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.c:1117: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'ar6000_wow_irq'

/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.c: In function 'ar6000_pm_probe':

/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.c:1132: error: implicit declaration of function 'request_irq'

/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.c:1132: error: 'ar6000_wow_irq' undeclared (first use in this function)

/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.c:1132: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once

/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.c:1132: error: for each function it appears in.)

/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.c:1133: error: 'IRQF_SHARED' undeclared (first use in this function)

/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.c:1133: error: 'IRQF_TRIGGER_RISING' undeclared (first use in this function)

/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.c:1137: error: implicit declaration of function 'enable_irq_wake'

/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.c: In function 'ar6000_pm_remove':

/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.c:1149: error: implicit declaration of function 'disable_irq_wake'

/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.c:1153: error: implicit declaration of function 'free_irq'

/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.c: In function 'deliver_frames_to_nw_stack':

/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.c:3904: error: implicit declaration of function 'in_interrupt'

/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.c: In function 'ar6000_get_iwstats':

/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.c:3989: error: implicit declaration of function 'in_atomic'

make[3]: *** [/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux/ar6000_drv.o] Error 1

make[2]: *** [_module_/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host/os/linux] Error 2

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/kernel-nv-3.1'

make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/menno/vegacream/kernel/atheros/AR6kSDK-CAF/AR6kSDK.2.2.1.151/host'

make: *** [.subdirs] Error 2

EDIT:

Ok got it to build..... you need to include linux/interrupt.h

EDIT2:

Good news... Wifi is working with the 3.1 kernel.

Edited by Scanno