Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ejtagle

Ok, cheers .. ill not bother looking at the source you posted, ill leave that to your done ;)

pppd, hmm that will need a code change on the android side before that will work ok, no ?

Cheers

Cass

Let's hope not.. I still have to look at the android side of it ;)

Guest armdroid

Great work Cass and Eduardo!

I want to do a Mer build based on the latest kernel sources that you've built update 2 from.

Where can I get them from? Is there a git repo and branch/ref?

Best regards,

Ray/mingw.android/armdroid.

p.s. sorry for being lazy and not reading through all of the posts to find this info...

Guest ejtagle

Let's hope not.. I still have to look at the android side of it ;)

Well, finished writing both the AR6002 external library required to make the wpa_supplicant fully work (including fast and reliable scans, and also proper reporting of signal strength... And also finished writing a new ril for the huawei EM770W 3G modem,based on the latest mbm ril, but using the commands required for the EM770W... Now, seems it is time to debug both!

There are no modifications to the framework itself, but there are some modifications in netd, wpa_supplicant, host_apd and the init.rc to properly register the pppd service, and also the hostapd service and the dhcpcd service.

If everything works as expected, we should be supporting wifi, hostAP mode for wifi, and 3G ... Let-s hope it works ;)

Guest ejtagle

hey eduardo, how about voice calling? modem support calling right? :P

Modem supports voice calling, but there is no hw connection of the PCM audio signals to the shuttle. Unless someone figures out how to stream audio using the USB ports of the modem (i do suspect this is actually possible, but i have no data or information on how this works) ... Voice calling will work, but you wont hear anything or be able to inject audio (voice) into the line...

Guest ejtagle

Well, been working on Wifi ...And mostly fixed it>

1) Fixed wifi network scanning issues and connection issues

2) Fixed signal strength/speed not being reported to Android OS

3) Fixed powerup/down of wifi

4) Implemented SoftAP (Wifi tethering)

To make all the above things work, i had to write 2 new drivers: One for the wpa_supplicant that is the responsible of wifi connections to support AR600x based cards, and one for hostapd daemon (responsible for using the AR600x as a Access point)

I also had to patch a bit the netd daemon, so it actually starts using the AR600x in Access point mode, and also added some extra delays to make sure AR600x firmware is properly loaded before trying to access the wifi card.

I am providing the source patchs (apply over ICS AOSP) and also make sure your BoardConfig.rc contains the following lines:

# Wifi related defines

WPA_SUPPLICANT_VERSION := VER_0_8_X

BOARD_WPA_SUPPLICANT_DRIVER := WEXT

BOARD_WPA_SUPPLICANT_PRIVATE_LIB := lib_driver_cmd_atheros

BOARD_HOSTAPD_DRIVER := AR6000

BOARD_HOSTAPD_PRIVATE_LIB :=

BOARD_WLAN_DEVICE := ar6002

WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_PATH := "/system/lib/hw/wlan/ar6000.ko"

WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_NAME := "ar6000"

WIFI_DRIVER_MODULE_ARG := ""

WIFI_DRIVER_LOADER_DELAY := 3000000

Also, you MUST add the following linex to the init.rc ramdisk, to make sure Access Point mode works:

# AP mode daemon for Atheros AR600x

service hostapd /system/bin/hostapd -dddd /data/misc/wifi/hostapd.conf

user root

group root

oneshot

disabled

# Bluetooth/WLAN coexistance filter for Atheros AR600x

service abtfilt /system/bin/abtfilt -c -d -z -n

user root

You also need to create a file with the following contents, naming it hostapd.conf and storing it at /system/etc/wifi

interface=wlan0

ctrl_interface=/data/misc/wifi/hostapd

ssid=test

channel=1

max_num_sta=8

beacon_int=100

dtim_period=1

As a way to give you the chance of trying it (without Access Point mode!), i also provide the already compiled versions of the programs. But, PLEASE, DO ADD the wifi hostapd init.rc lines, as we will want, in the future to enable tethering.

Things not fixed yet: Wifi turned on while deep sleeping sometimes prevents tablet to resume. We MUST use (wifi->keep_on_on_suspend) to try to prevent it...

BTW, i am still working on huawei RIL for 3G... The thing compiles, but i have to start debugging it!

ics-ar600x support-src.rar

compiled.rar

To make all the above things work, i had to write 2 new drivers: One for the wpa_supplicant that is the responsible of wifi connections to support AR600x based cards, and one for hostapd daemon (responsible for using the AR600x as a Access point)

I also had to patch a bit the netd daemon, so it actually starts using the AR600x in Access point mode, and also added some extra delays to make sure AR600x firmware is properly loaded before trying to access the wifi card.

I am providing the source patchs (apply over ICS AOSP) and also make sure your BoardConfig.rc contains the following lines:

# Wifi related defines

Also, you MUST add the following linex to the init.rc ramdisk, to make sure Access Point mode works:

user root

group root

oneshot

disabled

user root

You also need to create a file with the following contents, naming it hostapd.conf and storing it at /system/etc/wifi

interface=wlan0

ssid=test

channel=1

max_num_sta=8

beacon_int=100

dtim_period=1

As a way to give you the chance of trying it (without Access Point mode!), i also provide the already compiled versions of the programs. But, PLEASE, DO ADD the wifi hostapd init.rc lines, as we will want, in the future to enable tethering.

Things not fixed yet: Wifi turned on while deep sleeping sometimes prevents tablet to resume. We MUST use (wifi->keep_on_on_suspend) to try to prevent it...

BTW, i am still working on huawei RIL for 3G... The thing compiles, but i have to start debugging it!

Nice work... ill add this as soon as i have time ... work and life getting in the way right now ....

Cheers

Cass

Edited by Cass67

Guest ejtagle

I also have an A2DP bluetooth audio fix, based on DerArtem patches... ;) - Will post it later... Working right now on RIL ....

Edited by ejtagle

Guest DerArtem

I also have an A2DP bluetooth audio fix, based on DerArtem patches... ;) - Will post it later... Working right now on RIL ....

Hey guys, I just was not looking into this thread for some time now.

And just looked today :)

I see that you are fighting the same problems like we.

We also have the ar6003 wifi. We have everything working for wifi for since a few days - wifi resume after suspend is working without any issues.

What we do not have (At least I have not checked if it is working) is wifi AP mode.

What kind of modem do you have? I have a ril lib for Huawei usb modems which is working pretty nice....

https://github.com/DerArtem/

ejtagle: do you have a github? I would make everything easier...

What ar6000 source are you using as base ATH SDK 3.0?

Guest DerArtem

Modem supports voice calling, but there is no hw connection of the PCM audio signals to the shuttle. Unless someone figures out how to stream audio using the USB ports of the modem (i do suspect this is actually possible, but i have no data or information on how this works) ... Voice calling will work, but you wont hear anything or be able to inject audio (voice) into the line...

The command to send audio call over usb is AT^DDSETEX=2

I have written chan_datacard - it is an module for asterisk PBX to make voice calls using Huawei modems - so I am pretty familiar with the huawei modems :)

Audio will get out via /dev/ttyUSB1 as SLIN in 320byte frames. I had not the time to add it to my ril driver...

Guest ejtagle

We also have the ar6003 wifi. We have everything working for wifi for since a few days - wifi resume after suspend is working without any issues.

What we do not have (At least I have not checked if it is working) is wifi AP mode.

What kind of modem do you have? I have a ril lib for Huawei usb modems which is working pretty nice....

I have AR6002 .... AR6003 driver didn't load for us the last time i tried, but, the private IOCTLs used for both are exactly the same, so, my SoftAP modifications, and also all the wpa_supplicant support WILL work for you :) -- In fact , those patches are based on the atheros patches for hostapd and wpa_supplicant0.6.x, but ported to 0,8,x

I have a github but i don't use it ... I usually work offline, sometimes i have broadband available, but sometimes i must cope with dialup speeds... git just takes too much time to sync... Even if , in fact, i work on local git repositories stored on my machine ...

Regarding RIL, i chose to rewrite it. It is done... The old ril is full of memory leaks (calls to asprintf without free() ... And the new one supports several new entry points not supported in the old one... Will try to implement voice audio support, i guess it will be interesting :)

edit1: I will check your RIL implementation to merge changes into my version ... Let's get the best ril possible :D

Edited by ejtagle

I saw your patches from 7 days ago for wifi on suspend .. didnt add them yet .. ill add them and the newer wifi stuff and give it a whirl after i get the other stuff above done ... nice one ;)

Cheers

Cass

# Wifi related defines

user root

group root

oneshot

disabled

user root

interface=wlan0

ssid=test

channel=1

max_num_sta=8

beacon_int=100

dtim_period=1

include $(WPA_SUPPL_DIR)/wpa_supplicant/.config

What is supposed to be in here ? compile errors show that file is not in place

hardware/atheros_wifi_libs/wpa_supplicant_8_lib/Android.mk:26: external/wpa_supplicant_8/wpa_supplicant/.config: No such file or directory

needed ? i can remove but not sure of the intention of the file .. i get lots of compile errors with it removed ...

nvm .. think i figured it out ;) doh !!

edit :- excellent work Eduardo ... needs real testing but i have signal bar now :) also connects really well ...

edit2 :- getting drops frequently .. needs more testing ,. could be my env .. have logs,will post later when i look more .... question .. where will the abfilt bin come from ? i dont have it ....

edit3 - yeah could just be weak signal from position in house .. stable for past while .. what direction is the wind blowing i wonder ;)

Cheers

Cass

Edited by Cass67

Guest ejtagle

include $(WPA_SUPPL_DIR)/wpa_supplicant/.config

What is supposed to be in here ? compile errors show that file is not in place

hardware/atheros_wifi_libs/wpa_supplicant_8_lib/Android.mk:26: external/wpa_supplicant_8/wpa_supplicant/.config: No such file or directory

needed ? i can remove but not sure of the intention of the file .. i get lots of compile errors with it removed ...

nvm .. think i figured it out ;) doh !!

edit :- excellent work Eduardo ... needs real testing but i have signal bar now :) also connects really well ...

edit2 :- getting drops frequently .. needs more testing ,. could be my env .. have logs,will post later when i look more .... question .. where will the abfilt bin come from ? i dont have it ....

edit3 - yeah could just be weak signal from position in house .. stable for past while .. what direction is the wind blowing i wonder ;)

Cheers

Cass

abtfilt is part of the AR6002 driver ... To get it, we should plug the driver sources into AOSP ... You can also get already compiled from the Bluetooth A2DP fix for VegaComb... Dont worry.. i will eventually post the steps required to compile the AR600x drivers from AOSP.. (just some minor editing of configurations...) And copying the driver sources into /hardware ....

abtfilt is part of the AR6002 driver ... To get it, we should plug the driver sources into AOSP ... You can also get already compiled from the Bluetooth A2DP fix for VegaComb... Dont worry.. i will eventually post the steps required to compile the AR600x drivers from AOSP.. (just some minor editing of configurations...) And copying the driver sources into /hardware ....

Cool .. nice one .. ill await these steps before i hack together something myself ... might as well do it proper :)

Id prefer not to use a bin from another build as i intend to clean up the bsp ( if i can call it that ;) ) and post it in git eventually .. i think we are close to that stage..

Cheers

Cass

Guest ejtagle

Cool .. nice one .. ill await these steps before i hack together something myself ... might as well do it proper :)

Id prefer not to use a bin from another build as i intend to clean up the bsp ( if i can call it that ;) ) and post it in git eventually .. i think we are close to that stage..

Cheers

Cass

As you say, eventually i will plug the driver into AOSP. I started to do it, but did not have enough time yet to complete it. Instead of using the makefiles, we would use Android.mk. There are also provided with the driver itself, but require some clean up to be able to use them to create a working driver...

I am with the RIL right now... I will try to implement voice call audio support... It would be the last major missing thing ..:) ...

Attached the

@DerArtem> Attached my latest RIL version ... it compiles, but it is completely untested. Mi approach at executing pppd is to use a service instead of running the daemon directly as you do... Besides that, no other differences... I still have to debug this, but, at least, it is based on a newer RIL written by st ericsson ...

@Cass: Also attached the audio driver that implements bluetooth A2DP audio. We also need to add

audio.a2dp.default.so to the hw subdirectory....

huawei-generic-new.rar

audio-a2dp-fix.rar

Edited by ejtagle

Guest DerArtem

Hi,

I have AR6002 .... AR6003 driver didn't load for us the last time i tried, but, the private IOCTLs used for both are exactly the same, so, my SoftAP modifications, and also all the wpa_supplicant support WILL work for you :) -- In fact , those patches are based on the atheros patches for hostapd and wpa_supplicant0.6.x, but ported to 0,8,x

The funny thing is that I also have an nvidia harmony dev board - which is also using ar6002 - so I have also ported the ar6002 driver ;D Many double work :)

I have a github but i don't use it ... I usually work offline, sometimes i have broadband available, but sometimes i must cope with dialup speeds... git just takes too much time to sync... Even if , in fact, i work on local git repositories stored on my machine ...

Regarding RIL, i chose to rewrite it. It is done... The old ril is full of memory leaks (calls to asprintf without free() ... And the new one supports several new entry points not supported in the old one... Will try to implement voice audio support, i guess it will be interesting :)

edit1: I will check your RIL implementation to merge changes into my version ... Let's get the best ril possible

:D

Yeah, this would be nice. My ril lib is also quite dirty. I wouldn't mind so start a new one...

Guest DerArtem

@DerArtem> Attached my latest RIL version ... it compiles, but it is completely untested. Mi approach at executing pppd is to use a service instead of running the daemon directly as you do... Besides that, no other differences... I still have to debug this, but, at least, it is based on a newer RIL written by st ericsson ...

I just took a quick look over your code:

This won't work:

property_set("ctl.start", "pppd_gprs");

rild is started as root but it gives a way it's root permisstions after startup. Any you can not call property_set without root permissions.

Thats why I am starting pppd directly. And I have made pppd SUID root so it can call the ip-up/down scripts as root to set properties.

Executing pppd without SUID root will also fail as pppd won't be able to open a socket (you will get a error about kernel ppp support missing which is false - it is the android socket stuff in reality).

I should update the readme in my ril implementation as it is wrong and missleading....

Guest ejtagle

I just took a quick look over your code:

This won't work:

property_set("ctl.start", "pppd_gprs");

rild is started as root but it gives a way it's root permisstions after startup. Any you can not call property_set without root permissions.

Thats why I am starting pppd directly. And I have made pppd SUID root so it can call the ip-up/down scripts as root to set properties.

Executing pppd without SUID root will also fail as pppd won't be able to open a socket (you will get a error about kernel ppp support missing which is false - it is the android socket stuff in reality).

I should update the readme in my ril implementation as it is wrong and missleading....

Thanks a lot, DerArtem! .. Yes, as i stated previously, i didn't start debugging it yet...I didn´t know ril released its permissions, so, i guess we will have to do it they way you did... Currently working on a voice bridge to the Android subsystem, in the hope it will enable us to do voice communications ;) -- I did not port the AR6002, it just worked out of the box in the .39 kernel itself. Just recompiling was enough ;)

The idea is not to duplicate work, of course :)

Guest pershoot

hi eduardo/cass.

ive been battling an issue with bcmdhd on my 10.1 device, and was wondering if you all have experienced this.

im getting a quarter of the throughput using it, and was wondering if you all have come across this in your own implementations.

not able to see the cause, as of yet.

thx.

Edited by pershoot

hi eduardo/cass.

ive been battling an issue with bcmdhd on my 10.1 device, and was wondering if you all have experienced this.

im getting a quarter of the throughput using it, and was wondering if you all have come across this in your own implementations.

not able to see the cause, as of yet.

thx.

Hi Pershoot,

We don't use dhd as we have ar6k device... Ping MrGuy I'm sure he fixed it for Adam... Can't speak to the throughput though for his device...

Cheers

Cass

Guest DerArtem

Hi,

Thanks a lot, DerArtem! .. Yes, as i stated previously, i didn't start debugging it yet...I didn´t know ril released its permissions, so, i guess we will have to do it they way you did... Currently working on a voice bridge to the Android subsystem, in the hope it will enable us to do voice communications ;) -- I did not port the AR6002, it just worked out of the box in the .39 kernel itself. Just recompiling was enough ;)

The idea is not to duplicate work, of course

I have looked through your wifi code. And you have pretty much modifications of the core libs.

Take a look on how we did this: We have only written the device/toshiba/betelgeuse/wpa_supplicant_8_lib/driver_cmd_wext.c file - no other core lib had to be modified!

I think that our way it a bit cleaner :)

What is not working for us is the AP mode...

Guest ejtagle

Hi,

I have looked through your wifi code. And you have pretty much modifications of the core libs.

Take a look on how we did this: We have only written the device/toshiba/betelgeuse/wpa_supplicant_8_lib/driver_cmd_wext.c file - no other core lib had to be modified!

I think that our way it a bit cleaner :)

What is not working for us is the AP mode...

Modifications to the core libs were needed by limitations of the AR6002 kernel driver. And not because i liked them ... The problem addressed is that when you insmod the ar6002 kernel module, the network interface is published in the system, but it is not ready until the firmware is actually loaded into the hw. This firmware loading is done in a separate thread in the kernel driver itself.

But, the wpa_supplicant, as soon as it sees the network interface published, tries to bring up the interface... the interface is not ready at that point in time... so all ioctls fail ... Specially important were the SIOCGIWRANGE ioctl that reports the wireless extensions version supported by the kernel driver itself... As it fails, wpa_supplicant will fail identifying the interface version supported by the kernel driver, and thus, will stop recognizing the results of the new wireless network scans. That is the cause of the modified driver_wext.c .Without those modifications, all network scans will fail, except the first one -- Just retrying the ioctl until success cures it. And that exact same solution is implemented in the atheros supplied wpa_supplicant.

The driver_ar6000.c is the SoftAP driver implementation for the AR6002 driver. It requires special support, as the kernel driver does not support all the ioctls used by the nl80211 driver.

The AR6003 driver DOES implement all those functions, but the AR6002 does not :(

The modifications to the SoftapController.cpp are required to reload the AR6002 firmware in SoftAP mode..

So, all the modifications are essentially required to support the AR6002 driver limitations. The AR6003 has a vastly improved compatibility, so much less modifications would be required to support it.

The other choice would be to modify the AR6002 driver source code to add all the missing functionality.. Some of that functionality is easy to add, some of it is just plainly impossible to add, due to hw limitations the AR6002 has compared to the AR6003 (the AR6002 driver does not allow reloading firmware without unloading the module itself... And also does not support ComboScan commands... I chose to modify the framework libraries... Much safer and easier...

The modifications to Wifi.cpp are just to add some delays to the wifi module usage after loading it, so some time is given to the firmware loading process...

I cant give better reasons for the modifications... They are trivial modifications... They address bugs and bad implementations in the driver and ALSO in the android framework (after all, i still wonder WHY google chose to use propietary ioctls instead of using the already defined ioctls to query signal strength/rssi/cscan/etc... .. ;)

Regards

Eduardo

PS: Software implementations can be as clean as the hw or drivers you are dealing with... AR6003 driver source is much cleaner than the AR6002 source ... So, it is logical be able to require less dirty solutions to make it work compared with the AR6002 driver, that requires some workarounds ...;)

Still working on RIL ... i already implemented an audio tunnel feature that let us use the speaker and mic to place regular voice calls ... testing it :)

Edited by ejtagle

Guest DerArtem

Hi,

Modifications to the core libs were needed by limitations of the AR6002 kernel driver.

Thanks for the great explanation. Is bluetooth also provided by the AR6002? So If you unload the ar6000.ko then bluetooth will not work anymore - right?

What we do is to load the ar6000.ko module in init.rc and we do not unload it anymore, so BT will keep working even when wifi is turned off.

I did the same with my AR6002 driver of the Harmony Dev Board. So when you load it before wpa_supplicant gets started you will avoid all of those problems.

Maybe the AR6002 driver I am using for the Harmony Board is more advanced like yours. I can upload it on github if you want....

Still working on RIL ... i already implemented an audio tunnel feature that let us use the speaker and mic to place regular voice calls ... testing it :)

This are great new. I have uploaded your last version into my github as I wanted to fix the pppd stuff, but decided not to work on it right now, as when will will publish a new .zip I would have do do diff's in order not to remove my own changes and it would be pretty time costly.

One more question: Do you have 3G built in in the vega? Or are you going to use USB modems like we do it?

Regards, Artem

Hi,

Thanks for the great explanation. Is bluetooth also provided by the AR6002? So If you unload the ar6000.ko then bluetooth will not work anymore - right?

What we do is to load the ar6000.ko module in init.rc and we do not unload it anymore, so BT will keep working even when wifi is turned off.

I did the same with my AR6002 driver of the Harmony Dev Board. So when you load it before wpa_supplicant gets started you will avoid all of those problems.

Maybe the AR6002 driver I am using for the Harmony Board is more advanced like yours. I can upload it on github if you want....

This are great new. I have uploaded your last version into my github as I wanted to fix the pppd stuff, but decided not to work on it right now, as when will will publish a new .zip I would have do do diff's in order not to remove my own changes and it would be pretty time costly.

One more question: Do you have 3G built in in the vega? Or are you going to use USB modems like we do it?

Regards, Artem

Vega is wifi only and requires a USB dongle for 3g connectivity. The POV mobi and possibly some other shuttle variants which at the heart, are all similar to the Vega, have 3g on board. Its a vendor choice to include it seems, same as GPS which is present on some models, but not the Vega..

edit - Just tried your BT question .. if wifi and BT are connected and you rmmod the wifi module .. BT continues to function .. yes .. if however you rmmod the wifi module before turning off wifi from android and then turn off wifi android side then BT will not function after switching BT off/on ..

Edited by Cass67