01/Feb r2 refresh - MoDaCo Custom Kernel for the Advent Vega

Guest PaulOBrien

Its something that has been batted around as a handy feature for a while so while probably not necessary it would be handy to a fair few. Think that while fat32 formatted usb hard drives have been reported working people have only been able to make a 30gig (ish) partition visible. Was hoping that NTFS support would sort out these problems.

Saying all that now I have CIFS working the need at home for USB attached storage is a lot less ;) Still useful on the road tho.

Since i'm nice, i've compiled up a test r3 for you with NTFS support.

Download this and let me know how it works out for you.

P

Guest English Haze
Noticed something worrying there are more little screen errors like little lines when screen is in use.

Same here. I've installed Higgsy's 1.08 firmware image and the custom kernel. Benchmark shows its very fast but screen lags and shows lots of short line artifacts at times. Definitely not as smooth as r6.

Edited to add that screen sensitivity is also bad especially with power connected. It makes the screen almost unusable. Going back to my previous backup tomorrow.

Edited by English Haze

Guest Sk1mble

Hi all, I've installed the custom kernel and only noticed screen glitches in one game so far.

Just in case people continue to have problems, is there any chance someone could put the original kernel for download or otherwise explain how one can revert to stock without losing anything?

Edit: Okay, having used it a bit more the graphical glitches became annoying enough to warrant a restoration. I had taken a backup with ClockWorkMod before I installed the custom kernel, so I'm just restoring from that.

Edited by Sk1mble

Guest zzleezz

Meh, didnt work.

Used a memory card reader with a 4gig micro sdhc card in formatted to fat32 as a test. Worked fine as fat32, formatted to NTFS and nothing on the USB mount point ;) (does it need a separate NTFS mount point?)

Dont sweat it mate, really not important. Sure its something that will come along at some point as a simple solution once things have settled down. Hate to think you are wasting time on this when you could be doing far more important things (r7 hint hint ;) ).....

*edt* did some digging, found that you do indeed need to mount NTFS separately, my knowledge doesnt extend to this yet but here is the site if anyone wants to take a look that actually knows how slatedroid info on NTFS

Edited by zzleezz

Guest English Haze
Running R2 kernel + 1.065 MCR + PP and all appears fine.

I'm going to try this. I'm back to 1.06 MCR + PP. I didn't realise you could apply just the kernel update. I thought 1.08 was required. I really want the cifs update ;)

Could my screen and performance issues on 1.08 be due to not having the MCR update and PP features?

Guest gdwhitehouse
I'm going to try this. I'm back to 1.06 MCR + PP. I didn't realise you could apply just the kernel update. I thought 1.08 was required. I really want the cifs update ;)

Could my screen and performance issues on 1.08 be due to not having the MCR update and PP features?

I went back to 1.06.5 MCR + PP for the same reasons and applied this for cifs - works well. Performance is back as it should be but I am seeing increased screen corruption ATM.

G

Edited by gdwhitehouse

Guest jacquisue

Hello, complete and utter beginner here, so apologies in advance for foggy brain...

2 days ago I purchased a Vega running 2.2, kernel version 1.08. No flash or Market Place

I havent jailbroken it simply because I cant follow the instructions. Do I NEED the kernel update for 1.08 just posted or does my version already have it?

I did download the file to my laptop but havent a clue what to do with it.

Thanks.

Guest dannight
I went back to 1.06.5 MCR + PP for the same reasons and applied this for cifs - works well. Performance is back as it should be but I am seeing increased screen corruption ATM.

G

I have never experienced the screen corruption issues before applying this new kernel, but since have had almost constant glitches and "white lines"

Been running 1.0.6.5 MCR + PP since it's release with no problems till now

Maybe this will help direct the clever folks out there to a fix for these issues?

Guest simonta
Hello, complete and utter beginner here, so apologies in advance for foggy brain...

2 days ago I purchased a Vega running 2.2, kernel version 1.08. No flash or Market Place

I havent jailbroken it simply because I cant follow the instructions. Do I NEED the kernel update for 1.08 just posted or does my version already have it?

Thanks.

Hi, and welcome.

You do not need the kernel update. First thing I would be doing is applying the mcr pack (Paul's pack) from here:

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...online-kitchen/

This will set your Vega free! However, you do need to make a decision on whether you want to learn how to modify your Vega or stick with what you've got. If you want to modify, then you have a lot of reading and learning to do starting with that thread. Please don't post a new topic for any questions you have, they are all answered on here so use an existing topic.

The first thing you need to grasp is how to get the Vega into recovery mode and how to get the ADB USB drivers loaded. If you can't get this sorted, then you should perhaps consider staying where you are.

Cheers and good luck

Edited by simonta

Guest jacquisue
Hi, and welcome.

You do not need the kernel update. First thing I would be doing is applying the mcr pack (Paul's pack) from here:

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...online-kitchen/

This will set your Vega free! However, you do need to make a decision on whether you want to learn how to modify your Vega or stick with what you've got. If you want to modify, then you have a lot of reading and learning to do starting with that thread. Please don't post a new topic for any questions you have, they are all answered on here so use an existing topic.

The first thing you need to grasp is how to get the Vega into recovery mode and how to get the ADB USB drivers loaded. If you can't get this sorted, then you should perhaps consider staying where you are.

Cheers and good luck

Thank you. Think I need to leave things be until I know what I'm doing! Thanks again

Guest HunteronX

Thanks.

No you don't need it.

It just contains extra features like CIFS, for accessing shared folders on your network, and so on.

The 1.08 kernel is probably similar apart from that it doesn't have the extra features here:

I would install it anyway, due to the increased battery life.

Firstly, do you have adb installed?

If you do, just follow these instructions (Windows only):

- Open up your 'r2-vega-mck.zip', and extract the files to 'C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME'

- Connect your vega to your pc

- Open the run command window, by pressing 'Windows Key + R'

- Type in 'cmd'

- Enter in the following commands into the window, one line at a time.

adb push boot.img /data/local/

adb push flash_image /data/local/

adb shell chmod 4755 /data/local/flash_image

adb shell /data/local/flash_image boot /data/local/boot.img

- That's it.

To install adb, download and install the android sdk from here:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

When you connect your vega to your pc, go to 'Device Manager' in 'Control Panel', or for XP go to 'Device Manager' in 'System', in 'Control Panel'.

Now look for something that says 'Harmony' (I think), right click on it, and choose 'Update Driver Software...'

Now browse for the extracted folder manually, and continue.

P.S. The adb drivers are here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RQA40B24

Guest shaddy666

Hi guys sorry to be a pain but I wouild like to try this custom kernel but I heve 1 question to ask :-

I have installed the drivers I now have in device manager :-

Android Phone - Android Composite ADB Interface

Disk Drives - NVIDIA Tegra 2 USB Device

USB - Composite and Mass Storage Device

When I goto a cmd prompt,cd to folder then adb devices List of devices attached is empty ?

Have I done something wrong all can I go ahead and try this out.

Many thanks for your help

Martin

Guest gdwhitehouse
Hi guys sorry to be a pain but I wouild like to try this custom kernel but I heve 1 question to ask :-

When I goto a cmd prompt,cd to folder then adb devices List of devices attached is empty ?

Martin

Unless you have renamed stuff that you have downloaded, try getting a command prompt in that directory (shift right click) and then enter "adb-windows.exe devices".

Edit - you can probably ignore this, i misread your post :-)

G

Edited by gdwhitehouse

Guest crockwit

Martin

Have you enabled USB debugging in the Settings -> Application -> Development screen ?

Edited by crockwit

Guest andycap

I may be being thick here but shurely it will make no difference what you change in this kernel for ntfs support, because when we change to host mode we infact swap out the kernel for the pov one.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I'm having some weird weirdness going on.

1. Update to 1.08, wait 15 minutes, do a manual power cycle, check settings, definitely 1.08

2. Install r6, do a manual power cycle, check settings, definitely r6 update installed.

3. Install custom kernel, do a manual power cycle, definitely MCK kernel installed

4. Restore missing apps + data, manual power cycle, restore launcher pro settings.

And then all is lovely. For about 5 minutes. I use USB switcher to switch back to Host. Reboot. And then everything goes slow. Check settings and I am back at 1.065, with R6 installed but no MCK kernel.

I've done this twice now just to check I wasn't going mad. Can anyone shed any light?