01/Feb r2 refresh - MoDaCo Custom Kernel for the Advent Vega

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest zzleezz
I'm having some weird weirdness going on.

1. Update to 1.08, wait 15 minutes, do a manual power cycle, check settings, definitely 1.08

2. Install r6, do a manual power cycle, check settings, definitely r6 update installed.

3. Install custom kernel, do a manual power cycle, definitely MCK kernel installed

4. Restore missing apps + data, manual power cycle, restore launcher pro settings.

And then all is lovely. For about 5 minutes. I use USB switcher to switch back to Host. Reboot. And then everything goes slow. Check settings and I am back at 1.065, with R6 installed but no MCK kernel.

I've done this twice now just to check I wasn't going mad. Can anyone shed any light?

Yeah, reading a couple of posts above it seems using the USB host/slave switching program actually changes the kernel. That was something I didn't appreciate last night when testing the ntfs test r3.

Yeah, reading a couple of posts above it seems using the USB host/slave switching program actually changes the kernel. That was something I didn't appreciate last night when testing the ntfs test r3.

Aha. Hadn't really understood that either!

Guest emergant
For now, yes, but i'll build a MCK kernel with the host bits in for the new switcher.

P

Paul, I'm curious if now you have the source there may be a better way of switching modes? Could this be built as two modules for example you could then switch without a reboot? Something tells me its not that simple but I thought I'd ask

Guest warriorscot
Yeah, my thoughts exactly, i'm gonna look into it.

P

Surely Advent most have tried this, if it was that easy wouldn't they have done it. Might be worth asking them if they have tried it or whether they just looked at it and decided it was too much work to even try.

Guest Dan Holliday
Tun support in the kernel is also awsome. I have been waiting for this the most. But. Openvpn is not working on r6 I think there is something funky with the ifconfig/busybox settings or version. Its not the kernel because itf logs in and sets up the tunnel correctly its just not setting the ip on the interface .

Hi just lookup instructions for installing busybox manually. And make sure you install to /system/xbin/bb

The command line is something like

Busybox --install -s /system/xbin/bb

Hope this helps

Guest Marshy84

I've been reading this thread and was wondering if someone could clarify something for me?

Does this kernel have USB host or do we still need to use the switch app?

Will we ever be able to have USB host/salve @ the same time?

Guest emergant
I've been reading this thread and was wondering if someone could clarify something for me?

Does this kernel have USB host or do we still need to use the switch app?

Will we ever be able to have USB host/salve @ the same time?

No this kernel is slave mode like stock. It just might be possible to have a single kernel support both modes but not simultaneously you'd still have to switch between them. We'll just have to wait and see what Paul and other devs can do in the future

Guest simonta

Remember that the kernel is in boot.img and the slave/host mode switcher reflashes boot.img so currently, switching USB will replace r2mck with stock kernel.

Guest Dan Holliday
Can someone please help with CIFSManager I am totally lost.

Not sure what your issue is but i found i could only get it working by using ip address instead of host name. And you had to put guest in the user nane if you dont have a user name or password set for the smb share

Guest Dan Holliday
Have you enabled USB debugging in the Settings -> Application -> Development screen ?

I found that once i turned usb debugging on i then had to unplug the usb cable and plug it back in again. Then adb devices would show my device. Also make sure you install the usb drivers from the download. And when i tried on windows 7 i couldnt get it to work. Although i didnt try that hard. Worked perfectly on windows xp

Ohboy! You have some reading to do mate ;)

Made a good start tho, you are on the right track but got a little lost towards the end. ADB is run from your windows/mac/linux computer with the vega connected with a USB lead. Now you know that I am sure you can figure out the rest (hint, ADB is part of the android SDK (Software Dev Kit)).

The files you downloaded need to be on your computer so they can be "pushed" to the vega.

And to get a quadrant score install "quadrant" from the android market ;)

Have fun!

Thanks for your help zzleezz,

I got it all sorted and am now running the MCK r2 and MCR r6 quite happily. I'm currently getting a quadrant score of 2358 but was getting 2408 with just the stock 1.08 Kernel (not that the extra 50 makes any difference! :D )

Think I've got my head around most of the basics now :D

Cheers.

Guest shaddy666
I found that once i turned usb debugging on i then had to unplug the usb cable and plug it back in again. Then adb devices would show my device. Also make sure you install the usb drivers from the download. And when i tried on windows 7 i couldnt get it to work. Although i didnt try that hard. Worked perfectly on windows xp

Well I have now tried all this first on my XP 32bit laptop,seems to install drivers correctly,but adb devices is empty.So I tried it again on my Win 7 64bit big unit and exactly the same happens,I get the Android Composite ADB Interface inside android Phone,NVIDIA Tegra 2 USB Device,and the 2 usb entries,on both machines and yet typing adb devices always comes back empty.I am almost ready to give up ;)

Just to mention... I updated to R2 and the battery life has DECREASED considerably.

Although a somewhat unscientific metric...

On the stock 1.08 kernel, I would lose approx. 20% battery over a 24 hr period in standby.

With R2, I am now losing around 15% in standby over a 12 hr period.

Guest Pyr0x64

if i try

adb shell cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors

it only shows me:

performance powersave

shouldn't ondemand be listed there too?

Guest warriorscot
Just to mention... I updated to R2 and the battery life has DECREASED considerably.

Noticed this myself wouldn't say it's much worse but it is noticeably drawing slightly more power over night losing 15-16% instead of 8-10% and seems to do so during use but thats harder to judge.

Guest bkopreit

Although a somewhat unscientific metric...

On the stock 1.08 kernel, I would lose approx. 20% battery over a 24 hr period in standby.

With R2, I am now losing around 15% in standby over a 12 hr period.

hmmm, in 12 Hours 5% at my device

if i try

it only shows me:

performance powersave

Same here.

Guest shaddy666
Well I have now tried all this first on my XP 32bit laptop,seems to install drivers correctly,but adb devices is empty.So I tried it again on my Win 7 64bit big unit and exactly the same happens,I get the Android Composite ADB Interface inside android Phone,NVIDIA Tegra 2 USB Device,and the 2 usb entries,on both machines and yet typing adb devices always comes back empty.I am almost ready to give up :D

Hi guys,found the cause of the problems at last ;)

To help with the battery draining so fast I removed some of the telephoney apks that were not needed,so I have reflashed to stock 1.08 and retried and it works perfect I have just installed the custom kernel ;)

One more question would you recommend that I keep the vega at stock 1.08 for now,or should I take it back to 1.06 and add Pauls rom all what do you sugest.

Many thanks for all the help :D

I'm seeing the same as Owen, R2 gave a higher power drain.

Edit: Shaddy, what did you remove/leave in? got a list?

Edited by rlane

Guest shaddy666
I'm seeing the same as Owen, R2 gave a higher power drain.

Edit: Shaddy, what did you remove/leave in? got a list?

It was a few days ago so I cannot quite remember but I do know I took out TelephonyProvider.apk and Phone.apk but I think that was all.

Martin

Guest Sheanie

Got mine running 1.08 with the new kernel and r6 additions etc. QUADRANT OF 2352, but does seem a little laggy. Battery % will be the teller... will report that back tomorrow.

Guest Lennyuk
if i try

it only shows me:

performance powersave

yeah I noticed this the day the kernel was out and mentioned it, no one else seemed to realise or comment on it though.

Looks like paul missed something out he thought he had added in

Guest alberbg
Noticed something worrying there are more little screen errors like little lines when screen is in use.

Hi all:

+1

Anyway many many thanks to Paul for his contribution.