Basic CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM installation with modifications

Guest twrock

Guest twrock

Thanks twrock! I cannot find google voicesearch in CM61-Pulse0.40-f0.3.3.zip. I try to install all versions (1.4.0, 1.4.6, 1.4.7) of google voicesearch I can find with no success. Could you please provide a compatible version of google voicesearch.apk for this beautiful rom.

Thanks.

VoiceSearch is in Gapps. If you install the Gapps I linked to, then you will have it.

Otherwise, you can try to install the one here, but I don't know if it will work. You need to unzip it to get to the apk.

VoiceSearch.zip

Edited by twrock

Guest sporting_exodus

If speed it your goal, have you tried the RBM2 rom that Pepe made? I hear it is fast and yet has good battery life. I've never been able to run it because my phone crashes at the 691mhz default speed it is set at.

Had a quick look at the thread, I assume you mean the ROM he links on post #50 - I might give that a go.

I also noticed you'd had a tinker and released your own version. Is that a usuable ROM or one that was really for experimentation only?

Guest twrock

Had a quick look at the thread, I assume you mean the ROM he links on post #50 - I might give that a go.

I also noticed you'd had a tinker and released your own version. Is that a usuable ROM or one that was really for experimentation only?

It worked fine for the short period I used it. But it was not superior to this CM6 rom "for me". I was trying to see if I could get a mod of RBM2 to work for me and to give me long battery life. It worked fine, but did not deliver better battery life than I was getting from this rom. So I did nothing further with it.

But I suggest you use the rom Pepe made and see if you also get the really great battery life he and others reported. Or, you could just try them all! That's pretty much what I do. :lol: (But I mostly run this rom.)

Guest pedrojaime

Thanks twrock for your full disclosure :) very useful stuff. I am just experimenting putting VM heap size up to 24 from 16 and upping the clock speed from 614 to 652 with setCPU app which I suspect will shorten my battery life. I notice no difference to the performance of the apps by locking home and messaging in memory since I am using 'Auto memory manager' program instead to manage the flushing of the RAM.. Everything seems to be running slightly faster at the moment. Time will tell as far as stability goes.. I have the min clock speed set to 122.

Has anyone ever played with the advanced options of SetCPU (sampling rate, up threshold, ignore nice & powersave bias) Does anyone know what these mean even??

thanks,

Peter

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest pedrojaime

I have com across useful documentation on SetCPU features and meaning of the settings which can be found here:

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=758655

I have not found a way to 'set on boot' the advanced section parameters, these seem to be lost after a while (even without rebooting). As discussed recently on the CM7.1 thread, creating a 'screen off ' profile and setting this to low CPU clock speed also improves battery.

*Note: if you set the min and max CPU to 122MHz, you will not be able to receive phone calls, I have mine set to 122;245 respectively and this seems to save battery nicely (4% discharge overnight over 8 hours while I was sleeping with 3G enabled) ;)

hope this helps,

Peter

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest twrock

I have com across useful documentation on SetCPU features and meaning of the settings which can be found here:

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=758655

I have not found a way to 'set on boot' the advanced section parameters, these seem to be lost after a while (even without rebooting). As discussed recently on the CM7.1 thread, creating a 'screen off ' profile and setting this to low CPU clock speed also improves battery.

*Note: if you set the min and max CPU to 122MHz, you will not be able to receive phone calls, I have mine set to 122;245 respectively and this seems to save battery nicely (4% discharge overnight over 8 hours while I was sleeping with 3G enabled) ;)

hope this helps,

Peter

When I had the 691mhz boot.img installed, I did use SetCPU. The greatest savings seemed to come from the "screen off" profile, but it is really hard to know what was helping and what wasn't. Eventually, I just decided to "simplify" and went back to the original 528mhz boot.img and stopped using SetCPU altogether. That is giving me a bit better battery life than the 691 boot.img, and I don't have to mess around with SetCPU. Of course, YMMV.

Guest leonewbie

Hi i just installed your rom.. Its awesomee thank u!! But somehow the market app is gone how do i get the market back ??!! and also i cant connect to wireless, it says obtaining ip address than it says disconnected.. PS: i didnt install the dta2sd, I installed only the rom and gapps ( as a pair like u said)

Please help im a newbie..

Edited by leonewbie

Guest pedrojaime

After 6 months of testing different CPu speeds with U8220 I have come to the conclusion, like Toti said, that this phone does not handle overclocking well and that causes stability problems. In the end, I am using SetCPU to keep the CPU clock at 528;122 and the phone is just as snappy, with better battery life and more stability. Toti said OC is recommendable up to 614. Personally I find I can take it up to 633 without FCs but like twrock said, the best battery life is to be found with keeping the speed at the standard processor speed (or maybe lower - haven't tried that except for the sleep profile). 6% discharge over 12 hours makes me happy (without 3G or overclocking). Will test with 3G enabled tonight and see if there is any difference..

Did anyone ever manage to buy a good high capacity battery for this phone in the US? If so where did you buy it? I don't think I will find this in Ecuador.

thanks,

Peter

Hi, after a week the ROM is very stable, except for the motion detection, that freezes quite frequently, usually within a day. Is this my fault or remained a problem?

Guest twrock

Hi, after a week the ROM is very stable, except for the motion detection, that freezes quite frequently, usually within a day. Is this my fault or remained a problem?

Look back at the first post. I mention that problem/bug there and suggest a solution.

Guest twrock

After 6 months of testing different CPu speeds with U8220 I have come to the conclusion, like Toti said, that this phone does not handle overclocking well and that causes stability problems. In the end, I am using SetCPU to keep the CPU clock at 528;122 and the phone is just as snappy, with better battery life and more stability. Toti said OC is recommendable up to 614. Personally I find I can take it up to 633 without FCs but like twrock said, the best battery life is to be found with keeping the speed at the standard processor speed (or maybe lower - haven't tried that except for the sleep profile). 6% discharge over 12 hours makes me happy (without 3G or overclocking). Will test with 3G enabled tonight and see if there is any difference..

Did anyone ever manage to buy a good high capacity battery for this phone in the US? If so where did you buy it? I don't think I will find this in Ecuador.

thanks,

Peter

I purchased this battery/charger combo recently, and I'm happy with it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170664190639&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:1123

I'm not completely convinced it is a full 1700mAh, but it seems to work at least as good as my original battery did.

And an additional feature is that the charger has a USB power out port. I think it is definitely worth the money if you are looking for a replacement battery.

Guest twrock

Download link added to the first post for this file: CM61original_boot_img.zip

The zip will install via Recovery the original boot.img from Tom G's rom. That is a non-overclocked kernel (528mhz) with no lowmem tweaks (so you need to take care of that yourself). I am linking it for those few people who want the extra battery savings and do not want to mess around with SetCPU. It is the boot.img I am currently using and it works fine for me. But as always, YMMV. And also as always, do a nandroid backup first.

Guest pedrojaime

Thanks a lot! I don't think SetCPU honours a changed clock speed. This sems to be back to 611 unless you run SetCPU after boot, otherwise the speeds set by default seem to take over. Will look into installing the non-overclocked kernel.

Many thanks for the battery tip :)

Peter

Guest sporting_exodus

It's slightly off topic because it doesn't relate to this ROM (which I think is great btw), but for those looking for extra battery life I can definitely recommend Pepe's RBM ROM. Twrock suggested I give it a try (see a few posts back) and I've found it fairly stable and reasonably quick, although without all the features of any CM ROM.

I set up my phone for low battery consumption (ie. lower brightness, no auto poling, very few widgets etc) and with light use (a few calls/texts and checking emails, not much surfing) I am regularly going up to four days between charges.

Guest pedrojaime

I am (on light use) also getting up to 4 days per charge. I have a small app with seems to lower the discharge rate even more (3-4%) over 10 hours. Auto Airplane Mode sets (yes, you guessed it) airplane mode in the night hours. Note this switches the phone's radio off so if you're an on-call person 24x7 you won't receive any calls at this time. I prefer to sleep :)

Yesterday I noticed 'fast web installer' app which required appbrain. I thought I would use appbrain instead of market and get rid of market altogether but, surprise surprise, there's no getting away from Market - it is required by appbrain app. So, I am back to having market only now. Still, once you have your phone how you like it, you can always freeze (using titanium backup) market and its related processes to minimise the number of processes for performance if you are not going to be installing anything else.

I do still get curious about other ROMs like Pepe' but to be honest I have such great functionality out of this rom that I would only go back to that or 7.1 if the camera got fixed. I'm reading great reports about the battery life lately with these ROMs. Finally, apps of 200kb or less (download size) really make this phone a lot more responsive

Peter

Guest pedrojaime

I uninstalled ADW long ago using Titanium backup pro. Word of caution though, make sure you have an alternative launcher app installed before uninstalling your launcher or you will be stuck without being able to launch apps! Also, do not move the launcher to SD card though recently I have found that 'link2sd' program will link an move any app to the sd card without affecting the functionality of the app. Finally, I can highly recommend Go Launcher Ex which is fast, beautiful and integrates really nicely with Android and Cyanogen. If you prefer something minimalistic I can also recommend Zeam Launcher but this does not have as much eye candy. GO Launcher Ex seems to be more polished and work just as fast as Zeam, its just down to personaly preference. Good luck,

Is anyone out there familiar with an alternative to backing up and restoring individual apps, I think I remember someon mentioned was it 'antec' or something like that?

Peter

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest twrock

I uninstalled ADW long ago using Titanium backup pro. Word of caution though, make sure you have an alternative launcher app installed before uninstalling your launcher or you will be stuck without being able to launch apps! Also, do not move the launcher to SD card though recently I have found that 'link2sd' program will link an move any app to the sd card without affecting the functionality of the app. Finally, I can highly recommend Go Launcher Ex which is fast, beautiful and integrates really nicely with Android and Cyanogen. If you prefer something minimalistic I can also recommend Zeam Launcher but this does not have as much eye candy. GO Launcher Ex seems to be more polished and work just as fast as Zeam, its just down to personaly preference. Good luck,

Is anyone out there familiar with an alternative to backing up and restoring individual apps, I think I remember someon mentioned was it 'antec' or something like that?

Peter

Re: ADW vs. some other launcher. I found it interesting that the memory (ram) footprint of ADW and Zeam are not significantly different. Zeam is supposed to be an especially "lite" launcher. But if that is true, why don't I see it in the actual ram usage?

I still use ADW because I haven't found another Launcher I prefer.

Link2SD will move "any" app? Even /system apps? I didn't think it would do that, and I can't think of why I would want to do that. :huh:

Why do you use Link2SD vs DT Apps2SD? Advantages?

I like to use AppMonster Pro to backup apps in addition to Titanium. I like the "use old-style backup" feature for getting to backuped apps easily.

A bit "OT", but I've still been experimenting with the RBM2 rom. I still can't seem to get any better battery life with that rom than this one. I just don't get why others see such a dramatic difference, but I still keep trying. I can install Pepe's rbmhu4 rom using the FLB1.7 boot.img as a replacement, but I see no battery improvement with that combination over this CM6.1 rom.

Guest twrock

how can i replace ADW Launcher to Launcher Pro after install this rom and i need the link for the latest Launcher Pro link please .

Just install Launcher Pro as you do any app, and you will be able to select it the next time you return to the launcher. Check the default box, and you won't see ADW anymore.

Otherwise, get a copy of the Launcher Pro apk, rename it to "Launcher.apk", use a root file manager (Root Explorer) to copy it over to /system/app, and then remove ADWLauncher.apk using some app like Titanium Backup Pro. As Peter said, you better have a replacement before you delete the original launcher.

Guest EgyptoBoy

thank you twrock i have another ques / some times i get ( stop on the automatically rotates the screen) until restart the phone

even with this solution :

1. I always make sure I hold my phone in portrait orientation while booting.

2. I have disabled 270 and 180 degrees rotation options in CyanogenMod Settings/User interface (so I only allow 90 degrees).

any ideas to solve this issue

thank you twrock i have another ques / some times i get ( stop on the automatically rotates the screen) until restart the phone

2. I have disabled 270 and 180 degrees rotation options in CyanogenMod Settings/User interface (so I only allow 90 degrees).

I also had this problem but now i solved with that intructions of twrock,

A few months ago I lived with this problem, I applied at the time these instructions of twrock but it didn't solve the problem. However I've been experiencing the CM7 and went back to the CM6, I returned to try to apply this solution and finally got this problem solved. :rolleyes: I do not know why this solution didn't work at that time, I think in that time i was using the Go Launcher and now I have the Launcher Pro, I'm not sure.

Anyway, thanks twrock by these instructions, in my case resolved.

Guest twrock

Are you using ADW Launcher still? If so, in the ADW Settings/System Preferences/Home Orientation set it to Portrait only. That is the only additional thing I can think of that I purposefully do regarding rotation. See if that helps.

Another person suggested disabling JIT solved it. (I have JIT disabled, and I don't have the problem either, but that doesn't mean it has anything to do with it.)

Please let us all know if you discover a definitive answer in your testing.

Guest twrock

i'll give it try

what about Compcache RAM Usage its set to 18% (default) what the best choice for better performance thanks again .

Other people use different settings than I do. But I have posted my settings in the second post of this thread, if you are interested.

Regarding Compcache, I disable it. But when you do, swappiness will jump up to 60, which is too high. So make sure you reduce swappiness if you disable Compcache.

YMMV

Guest pedrojaime

I can confirm hat after 1 month, twrock's fix of restricting rotation to 90 degrees only has defintely resolved my rotation issue. This is the only thing I changed at the time and I have not had the rotation sensors freezing ever since.

Many thanks for the 528MHz kernel too!! Will try this out soon :)

cheers,

Peter