Basic CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM installation with modifications

Guest twrock

How do I get the Market Place on this ROM?! Thanks

Go back to the very first post, read all the instructions again, and follow them specifically and completely. If you do that, you will have a working Market. If you don't, .... well, you've seen what happens already. ;)

Guest krazeland

I have followed all the steps accurately and still have no market place installed :( Sorry if I am being thick or have missed something obvious but a little bit of help would be great. Thankyou

Guest stjani10

I have followed all the steps accurately and still have no market place installed :( Sorry if I am being thick or have missed something obvious but a little bit of help would be great. Thankyou

Hi

Can you please check how big your system partion is? It took my ages to figure out if i updated from the current T-mobile UK 2.1 update the system partion is only 85mb, which is not enough for CM6 or CM7 .... PLUS Gapps. So when you install gapps it can't fit but still says it is installed, then either crashes or isn't displayed.

My fix was to start from scratch with Huawei "timemachine", then install T-mobiles Hungary update which gives my 110mb system partion. This ofcourse limit's your memory more but atleast you can use swap for that. It's much harder to substitute the system partion being to small.

Now this might not be the only way, but after nights and nights of trying this was the only way for me. Keep in mind i have the U8230 192mb version not 256mb.

P.S when you install this larger ROM it fails the first time, but do it right away again and it will finish !

Hope this helps.

Kristjan

Iceland.

Edited by stjani10

The replies above mine are already a good explanation. The part in the instructions I believe you are missing is that you must start with the older 2010 UK official update (or Hungarian update) in order to have large enough /system partition. (There is a bold red heading for that section.)

In my signature below there is a link to a post about rom installation problems. Please click on that link for the "full" explanation.

Another possibility is that you aren't installing Gapps, but if you missed that, then yes, you are being thick. :D

Edited by twrock

Guest krazeland

Thanks guys, I installed the Hungary update then installed this rom and now have marketplace! Only problem is the phone reboots when trying to install an app!

Thanks guys, I installed the Hungary update then installed this rom and now have marketplace! Only problem is the phone reboots when trying to install an app!

One of the reasons I can think of is that your particular device can't stand work in overclocked mode. Default rom's frequency is 614 MHz, while the frequency of stock rom - 528 MHz. Try to use SetCPU utility to set the frequency back to 528Mhz and see if it helps.

My Pulse can work on 712 MHz but anything above that gives me reboots shortly after I set the speed.

This makes perfect sense however I tried to install setCPU but the phone restarted! :(

The first post of this thread holds CM61original_boot_img.zip - "the original boot.img from Tom G's rom with no overclocking"...

May be it makes sense to install it from recovery mode?.. (via rebooting into recovery first)

I never tried myself though.

Other than what was suggested already.....

Try using some third party app that will let you delete the data and cache of the Market app. (But without the Market, I don't know how you are going to find and install that app, so this is not likely a solution you can try.)

If that fails, try wiping the cache in Recovery.

If that fails, try a complete wipe/factory reset in Recovery.

If that fails, try a complete wipe/factory reset, then reinstall the rom.

If that fails, ... I haven't got a clue.

Good luck.

Edited by twrock

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

PowerAMP is updated to 2.0 on the market a few days ago. I have updated it and now it won't work properly. When I turn off the screen while PowerAMP is in the foreground, the music stops and when I unlock the screen, seems like PowerAMP reload.

Lowering the oom value and/or set Audio Thread Priority to Highest doesn't help.

MaxMP (the developer of the app) says that "CM issue, can't be worked around or fixed by app (PowerAMP)". Is there a way to find out what is wrong and fix it?

Edited by rhen

Hi! PowerAMP is updated to 2.0 on the market a few days ago. I have updated it and now it won't work properly. When I turn off the screen while PowerAMP is in the foreground, the music stops and when I unlock the screen, seems like PowerAMP reload.

Lowering the oom value and/or set Audio Thread Priority to Highest doesn't help. MaxMP (the developer of the app) says that "CM issue, can't be worked around or fixed by app (PowerAMP)". Is there a way to find out what is wrong and fix it?

I surely won't be able to do anything to fix that. All I can suggest is that you go back to the previous version of PowerAMP that was working for you.

• 3 months later...
Guest buboo

I have T-mobile pulse 4 days and im whole 3 days on this forum :) first time i android user and for first time i think that im doing great.

For 1 day i learn how to install ROM on my phone :) I get the phone with android 1.5 then i install 2.1 and after that CyangenMod 7.2 without partitioning my SDcard and my phone work very slow. The other day i study your great forum an the 3 day i install this ROM and im use it now. Thanks for your work.

Testing for 2 days its perfect and saves battery a lot only have problem with free space i think, cant have lot of applications installed and widgets on my screen becouse my phone get slow. Also I dont know how to ajust my screen not to turn of light for longest time and to not lock my phone automatic when i talk longer and when i finish my call am still on the same place in contact when i was before what iritates me pushing back button 4 or 5 times, instead turn me back on head screen.

But your ROM for my old machine is perfect and i want to thank you for your work and go on with great work :)

What do you think is the best ROM for my phone?

Guest twrock

What do you think is the best ROM for my phone?

Welcome to the party. Looks like you are a quick learner. :)

Roms are a matter of taste. Each has advantages and disadvantages. Some are still very much in an "early beta" form, and you only will want to use them if you want to be part of trying to help fix the remaining problems.

If you liked this "out-of-date" rom, you can consider TXG. It is the next generation of this rom, and is probably still being used by a lot of people (if the total downloads are any indication).

Near the end of the TXG thread is a post by me with a link to a slightly more experimental rom called "Styx". I uploaded one beta version of that, and it seems quite stable in my own use of it. (But I am having one problem with it that is a bit frustrating to me.)

Styx is based on dr.flo's work on CM6 Clean. He has done all the hard work to get things working. I just tweaked things a little to create Styx. Styx actually has less bugs and more functionality than TXG. I'd lean toward Styx personally.

dr.flo and Pier11 are the current driving forces in moving rom development forward for the U8220/U8230. They have quite a number of experimental roms that are in various states of "completion". But you will have to read up on those roms in those threads to determine whether or not you want to try them.

YMMV. Maybe others will chime in with their own preferences.

Enjoy!