09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest MonkeyBoy451
NOTE: Clockwork says "Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk2p2" if that helps!

I've also had that message appear a couple of times when rebooting into CWM and doing a backup.

Guest Sir Gash
Yes, I tested it and it works great! The 'partitioning' did take a little while in CWM, I was about to give up and then it finished. I guess the format takes a little while?

P

I tried partitioning in CWM, took ages as well, said successful but no EXT partition seen by the Vega :P

Maybe my SD is knackered? I try deleting the partitions when I get home and see if I have more luck later.

Yes, I tested it and it works great! The 'partitioning' did take a little while in CWM, I was about to give up and then it finished. I guess the format takes a little while?

P

What would you suggest using.... CWM or GParted for repartioning and formatting the SD-card ??? If i use GParted i can resize the FAT32 partition and create and format an EXT4 partition without losing all my data.

Thanks.

Guest TylerDurdenK

I successfully partitioned my sd card in CWM. Link2SD found the partition, then requested a reboot so it could be mounted. After reboot Link2SD does all that it is supposed to do.

Just in addition BT GPS is stillbroken when trying to navigate, I get the same warning:

GPS is disabled

Show location setting?

Edited by TylerDurdenK

Guest Ramnath

wow.. This is a great news for Vega-ns, I am downloading now.

Thanks to paul and co. Keep up the great work.. :P

Btw, can someone with r8 confirm, if the mouse pointer is still "invisible", when connected to an external mouse?

thanks,

New 500mb ext2 partition created with GParted on the miniSD card created and Link2SD works well in r8 rom.

Great job!

Still missing the mouse pointer though.

Edited by remlap

Guest zzleezz

Also had the mounting error on first start, reboot sorted mine too :P

Working like a dream now, best gadget Ive bought in a looooong time.

Paul could you look over the wishlist I have posted here please?

Guest tylordurton

Have any of you guys experienced issues with USB devices since upgrading to r8?

I was uaing a microsoft mini usb mouse to control my Vega which worked great, unfortunately after upgrading to r8 I can not see the cursor. I can tell the mouse is working as I can pull the screen left/right but it's no good without a visible cursor!

Edited by tylordurton

Guest princeotter
I am looking into doing this on mine now, CWM has been "partitioning" for a while now.......

Will update this post if I am successful or not

Edit: well CWM did it succesfully, booting into rom in a minute to try to get a2sd working

Will doing a CWM ext2 partition wipe other data on the SD card? I am assuming the steps to take in CWM are Advanced, Partition SD Card, then choose Ext size (say 512m) but then what Swap Size or doesn't it matter?

Guest fudgeboy

What does Link2SD give you over the Froyo built-in thing? It looks as though Link2SD is just moving the APK over; but isn't that what Froyo does?

I can't think of any advantage other than moving ones that don't give you permission to move them. Is there more to it than that?

What does Link2SD give you over the Froyo built-in thing? It looks as though Link2SD is just moving the APK over; but isn't that what Froyo does?

I can't think of any advantage other than moving ones that don't give you permission to move them. Is there more to it than that?

Some apps wont move within Froyo itself I assumed?

Guest princeotter
Will doing a CWM ext2 partition wipe other data on the SD card? I am assuming the steps to take in CWM are Advanced, Partition SD Card, then choose Ext size (say 512m) but then what Swap Size or doesn't it matter?

Think I answered my own question by playing about with the 4gb card before I risked destroying my 16gb card. It clearly does wipe the data but does create ext2 (although MiniTool Partition Wizrd sees it as an ext3) partition of the size selected and I can see that selecting a Swap size of more than 0 creates a 'Linux Swap' partition (for whatever that may be needed for?). Therefore I have backed up my 16gb card, am using CWM to make a 1mb ext2/3 partition with zero Swap and then will have to load back my existing data. No big deal I suppose

I did try using MiniTool Partiton Wizard to try and resize the FAT32 partition and create an ext2 partition on the 4gb card but the Vega reports it as a damaged card.

Guest jonnyspuruk

Hi

Just installed R8 but now it wont let me change the keyboard, i have 3 others installed but when i put tick in any of them it stays with stock keyboard. Anyone else having this issue?

thx

Guest Ramnath

@Paul:

I think the problem for "invisible" mouse pointer lies in libsurfaceflinger.so. I diff'ed libsurfaceflinger.so between the stock (1.08) and your's r8 and found that both of them differs. Thought this might ring a bell. Does it?

I can try disassembling and digging more, but that will be nightmarish :-|

Guest wipeout140
Hi

Just installed R8 but now it wont let me change the keyboard, i have 3 others installed but when i put tick in any of them it stays with stock keyboard. Anyone else having this issue?

thx

Have you done the following:

Long-press any field that is a text entry. e.g, Gmail and chose Compose. Then long-pressed the To field and see Edit Text: Input Method.click on input method then choose the keyboard you want

Also thanks again Paul r8 install went well, using clockwork

Guest fudgeboy

Paul,

The blurb for r8 says that it doesn't include Flash, and that we should install it from the Market. Is that really correct? The version on the Market tells you in BIG SCARY LETTERS not to install it on a Tegra2 device, because it's not Tegra2-optimized.

Should we be installing the one from r6 instead? Presumably it'll kill the battery faster to use a non-optimized Flash, even if it's fast enough to cope.

James

Guest thewinst
Paul,

The blurb for r8 says that it doesn't include Flash, and that we should install it from the Market. Is that really correct? The version on the Market tells you in BIG SCARY LETTERS not to install it on a Tegra2 device, because it's not Tegra2-optimized.

Should we be installing the one from r6 instead? Presumably it'll kill the battery faster to use a non-optimized Flash, even if it's fast enough to cope.

James

Yea, there are quite a few of us not using the current market version it would seem. Newest version seems too blocky and slow in some cases on the Vega...

There was a post a few pages back with a download link for the older Flash (what would seem more optimised for us) version.

Here you go...First post on this page Link to post...

Download the APK onto your Vega,

Uninstall the Flash currently on your Vega,

Go to downloads folder on Vega,

Run install (libflashplayer_froyo_gles2_20101206_v10.1.120.1_signed.apk)

Done :P

Lee

Edited by thewinst

Guest kevin36thi

I only just got R7 now there's R8. What's the easiest way to upgrade? Not familiar with Android yet.

If some could tell me the steps and requirements as I don't fancy re-installing everything again.l

Thanks

I only just got R7 now there's R8. What's the easiest way to upgrade? Not familiar with Android yet.

If some could tell me the steps and requirements as I don't fancy re-installing everything again.l

Thanks

There is no special way of upgrading from r7 to r8. Just install r8 over r7. It is the same way as you installed r7.

So install either with CWM or use the installscript