09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Nemes1s
any way i can make the taskbar bigger? As it was before modaco custom rom?

Easiest way would be to bake a new custom rom without this option selected.

Guest premieral
this is quite a good guide, just take your time and follow it closely it's not to difficult :P

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...p-update-guide/

also

i know this is for windows 7 and you have vista but there aren't that many differences and may help

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...4/#entry1527188

if your having driver issues this is the bit you really need

01. Optional: Backup personal data and settings to the SD card using built in backup or third party software like Titanium Backup (Pro).

02. Make sure the device is turned on and you have enough battery power left.

03. Download and unzip MCR Add-On to a folder on your PC. Make sure the USB drivers inside the subfolder "usbdriver" are unzipped too!

04. On the device go to Settings > Applications > Development and turn on USB Debugging.

05. Connect the device to the PC with the USB connection cable.

06. On the PC go to 'Device manager', right click the Nvidia Harmony device and choose to update the device driver

07. Browse the PC for the unzipped drivers and ignore all warnings about driver verification (Install anyway)

08. Done correctly it will show the device with Android Developer Bridge (ADB) enabled

also check out youtube a few helpful videos on there

hope thats some help

just in case you are still struggling ( i did with vista :huh: ) the way i managed to update the drivers was by first deleting the drivers and the biggest issue was not knowing which of the mass storage devices vista shows was the vega, so whilst in control panel i plugged and unplugged the vega to see which device appeared and disappeared then selected it and deleted its drivers, from then on following the instructions given in the guide everything worked pointing to th enew drivers file in the download etc etc. I hope you managed it ok because the change it makes is awesome and opens up a whole new world of fun. :)

regards

Alan

Guest zongamin

Hi

I'm going to pick one up today - I just have two questions

In post one you say

'If you are using Windows, your USB 'Android Developer Bridge' driver MUST be the one included in this download (use 'Have Disk' functionality in device manager to change if required)'

Where is 'this download'

For Link2SD am I right in thinking I will need to partition the SD? Eg 6gb FAT32 and 1GB EXT3

Thanks

EDIT - IGNORE - Sorry I found the download link now

Edited by zongamin

Guest spacecadetuk

Hi

I'm going to pick one up today - I just have two questions

In post one you say

'If you are using Windows, your USB 'Android Developer Bridge' driver MUST be the one included in this download (use 'Have Disk' functionality in device manager to change if required)'

Where is 'this download'

on page one of this thread, the usb drivers are part of the rom download, they just need extracting after unpacking the rom

Guest john logan

Hi,

I am really stuggling to find adobe flash player on the market place, I can find the showcase but not the player. Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong?

Guest Dennis Elbow
just in case you are still struggling ( i did with vista :( ) the way i managed to update the drivers was by first deleting the drivers and the biggest issue was not knowing which of the mass storage devices vista shows was the vega, so whilst in control panel i plugged and unplugged the vega to see which device appeared and disappeared then selected it and deleted its drivers, from then on following the instructions given in the guide everything worked pointing to th enew drivers file in the download etc etc. I hope you managed it ok because the change it makes is awesome and opens up a whole new world of fun. :(

regards

Alan

Cheers Al... all up and running now, thanks to spacecadetuk / vampire168 updating the Drivers was definitely the stumbling block...

Basically, this is what I did (vista)

1. D/L v8 ROM

2. Unzip it to a new folder (Vega)

3. Open Vega folder and Unzip the USB Driver (back into vega folder)

4. Connect the Vega (USB debugging enabled)

5. Go to Device manager (Vista PC)

6. Look for Universal serial bus controller (bottom line)

7. Expand it, look for USB Device (assuming only The vega is plugged in)

8. Right click it and click update Drivers

9 Windows will ask where do you want to search (point it to Vega folder)

10. let it do its thing (ignore any warnings)

11. Nvidia Drivers should then appear in the Device manager (near the top)

12. Go back to Vega folder, shift right click, to open a command prompt / terminal

13. copy / paste install-windows.bat

14. Hold breath and hit return !

15. Loads of text... wait for device to reboot.

HTH :)

Edited by Dennis Elbow

Guest john logan
I tried that but only my phone was listed , no Advent Vega in the list :(

Got it working in the end, downloaded the apk file from this forum copied to the sd card and used the filemanager to install it. Thanks for the tips.

is there anyone who install R8 via pc with Windows 7 ?

I have problem in last part of install when i click on BAT file the small under line in command prompt keep flashing and nothing happen.

please help me it's necessary.

Guest jastonas

I have problem in last part of install when i click on BAT file the small under line in command prompt keep flashing and nothing happen.

Maybe you did not run file with administrator rights....

Guest rcciren

Morning all! :-)

Bought a Vega last night (which in it's default state is singularly unimpressive - for people that areunable or unwilling to flash this baby, the return rate must be huge!).

I've downloaded the r8 MCR and I'm ready to apply the MCR but I notice that my kernal version is 1.09. Will the r8 MCR work with 1.09?

Guest hendrikes

This happens because the wrong drivers are loaded, use DriverView v1.25 from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html and remove all the drivers with vendir ID 0955

then install the right driver from usb driver from modaco R8 custom rom, that sorted it out, had the same problems as you, i'm running windows 7.

Guest spacecadetuk
Morning all! :-)

Bought a Vega last night (which in it's default state is singularly unimpressive - for people that areunable or unwilling to flash this baby, the return rate must be huge!).

I've downloaded the r8 MCR and I'm ready to apply the MCR but I notice that my kernal version is 1.09. Will the r8 MCR work with 1.09?

Simply, yes

Guest rcciren
Simply, yes

Thanks.

So I've bitten the bullet and loaded the r8 mcr. Wow! As I was hoping this has completely changed my opinion of the device (except for the infuriating multiple clicks ;-) ). Paul you are a genius! Kudos also to Solidate whose Vega Tools v2.0 made installing Paul's magic-mix a breeze. This is worth every penny of the ad-free fee!

Guest simonta
Thanks.

So I've bitten the bullet and loaded the r8 mcr. Wow! As I was hoping this has completely changed my opinion of the device (except for the infuriating multiple clicks ;-) ). Paul you are a genius! Kudos also to Solidate whose Vega Tools v2.0 made installing Paul's magic-mix a breeze. This is worth every penny of the ad-free fee!

Run the screen calibrator and hopefully, the double clicks will go. None for me since doing that. Cheers

Guest G Brem

Hi

complete newby to android here

I have downloaded the ROM, enabled debugging and tried to run the windows file. I click the file, a cmd propt box comes up asking to make sure i have selected bebugging then it says waiting for device, then nothing, sits like that, am i doing something wrong? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I am using a laptop with windows 7 home 32-bit.

Regards and thanks

Guest beegee1962

Hi Paul,

Love your kitchen, it was one reason to upgrade my membership.

Any plans to update the kitchen to 1.09 Advent ROM or 1.10 Smartbook ROM?