09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Nemes1s
Just download it from market.

The version on the market isn't optimised for the Tegra2. You're much better off using this one which is. It's the one from MCR7. Click here. Note if you have installed the one from the market, you should uninstall that first. Also, some have reported that a full reboot is required after installing Flash now before it works correctly. I certainly found that to be the case when I installed the MCR7 version.

Guest stevesilk51

Hi All,

It's that old USB issue again.

BUT, I think this one is different and I may have a Dodgy USB port on the Vega?

Problem:

Cannot get Vega recognised in ADB. after deciding I'd better get up to speed on 1.09 from advent. Went into button press recovery, ok, I installed that OK rebooted, ok. Then wanted to install Paul's latest R8. No go.

When I plug in vega to usb I get the usual beeps telling me it's connected but in device manager it gives an exclaimation mark against Android Phone (Android Composite ADB Interface) in Win 7 64bit and even though it looks ok on my XP machne when I ADB Devices nothing shows up connected. ADB (daemon) runs ok but that's al;l cannot do anything else.

Now I know what you are thinking, must have followed incorrect steps. But I've done this many times, successfully.

What I've tried so far: Windows 7 64bit machine and a Win XP machine. Uninstalled ALL usb drivers then hook up Vega. Vega Tools utility app. None of this working.

The Vega is just not being seen even though the PCs are sounding off that it's been attached. Pretty much lost for the next step, but think it could it be I've a knackered Vega USB port?

Help appreciated.

Steve

Guest simonta

Well, I know you'll hate me for this, but you have turned on USB Debugging? Have you got the ladybird in the notification bar?

If it works for recovery, it is highly improbable that you have a duff USB port. 99% probability you have a driver issue.

Edited by simonta

Guest stevesilk51
Well, I know you'll hate me for this, but you have turned on USB Debugging? Have you got the ladybird in the notification bar?

If it works for recovery, it is highly improbable that you have a duff USB port. 99% probability you have a driver issue.

Thanks for the reply Simonta,

Yeah, made sure that was done, so if it's not the port, don't know what to do next as I've explored all driver issues avenues that my meagre brain can think of! :(

So:

1. Might try different cable, but as you said if the recovery and 1.09 worked . . .. . . ?

2. Also and I realise I maybe asking a bit much here, or being a numpty but would it be simpler to flash Paul's, or any other roms for that matter using an exe. file the same as the stock vega files are done?

Still need to get this sorted out first though

Thanks

Steve

Edited by stevesilk51

Guest simonta
Thanks for the reply Simonta,

Yeah, made sure that was done, so if it's not the port, don't know what to do next as I've explored all driver issues avenues that my meagre brain can think of! :(

Might try different cable, but as you said if the recovery and 1.09 worked . . .. . . ?

The key point is that you MUST have a device class called "Android Phone" in device manager with a single device, "Android Composite ADB Interface", with no exclamation marks. If you don't have that, you have a driver problem and you won't get anywhere. See my posts a few above this one for exact steps.

Cheers

Guest stevesilk51
The key point is that you MUST have a device class called "Android Phone" in device manager with a single device, "Android Composite ADB Interface", with no exclamation marks. If you don't have that, you have a driver problem and you won't get anywhere. See my posts a few above this one for exact steps.

Cheers

I do have exactly that in device manager on the XP machine, only exclamation marks on Win 7, but it still will not accept the vega is attached to XP machine even though I get the PC sound.

I wont give up but this one's got me beat so far :(

You can use your Vega in USB host mode but please, check the existing threads first. Lots of information on doing this and also many other ways of transferring files. In particular, you need to know the difference between FAT, NTFS and ext.

Thanks for reply Simonta

could you please give me some links to read about it?

cheers

Guest simonta
Thanks for reply Simonta

could you please give me some links to read about it?

cheers

?????

You want me to search for you? :(

Just type USB NTFS into search. You'll get the links.

Guest jaw90

Ive decided my prooblems come from a rediculously fubarred computer.. my work one wont let me install drivers, so going to try again on my seister's laptop tonight fingers crossed!

Guest stevesilk51

Cheers

Hi Simonta,

Thought, out of courtesy, I would let you know I'm back running again.

Simply did a roll back recovery on the XP PC to a January slot and worked through ADB straight off.

The simple things are the last you think of :( , at least for me anyhow.

Another one to remember for me (and to make sure, I've saved an XP recovery slot called "OKforVega" !

Cheers

Steve

Guest Tezza_uk

Just a quick question, am I right in thinking you have to manually install the Rom update via a PC and then you can use the kitchen as a premium user? Or can you do the whole Rom update from the site, eliminating the PC and making the process easier?

Thanks in advance.

Tezza.

Guest simonta
Hi Simonta,

Thought, out of courtesy, I would let you know I'm back running again.

Simply did a roll back recovery on the XP PC to a January slot and worked through ADB straight off.

The simple things are the last you think of :( , at least for me anyhow.

Another one to remember for me (and to make sure, I've saved an XP recovery slot called "OKforVega" !

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for letting me know and I'm delighted you're up and running. Great tip on the restore point too!

Cheers

Guest simonta
Just a quick question, am I right in thinking you have to manually install the Rom update via a PC and then you can use the kitchen as a premium user? Or can you do the whole Rom update from the site, eliminating the PC and making the process easier?

Thanks in advance

Tezza.

Hi Tezza

You've got me totally confused :(

Whether you use the kitchen or not has nothing to do with how you install mcr. It simply lets you bake your own with and without particular options. You install in the same way, using a PC, whether you use the kitchen or not.

I think that's what you are asking.

Guest Tezza_uk
Hi Tezza

You've got me totally confused :(

Whether you use the kitchen or not has nothing to do with how you install mcr. It simply lets you bake your own with and without particular options. You install in the same way, using a PC, whether you use the kitchen or not.

I think that's what you are asking.

I was asking if you can update straight from the site if you are a premium subscriber with the vega, straight out the box, straight on to this site become a premium subscriber and install pauls firmware?

Guest simonta

Now I don't know which one of us is confused. Please help me....:(

Please re-read your last post, from the perspective of someone who knows nothing about what you are trying to achieve.

Sorry, I want to help you, but I really don't have a clue what you are asking for.

"Premium subscriber with the Vega". Do you mean you have subscribed to Modaco and gone ad-free?

Paul has not released any firmware. Do you mean the mcr8 pack? If so, you can download that as a subscriber or not.

As I said before, you cannot" update straight from the site". In all cases, you download to your PC and install from there.

If I have missed again, please explain what you are trying to achieve in plain English.

Cheers

Guest moko76

Hi all! I've just joined this forum today, to give a massive thanks to all you clever folk who take your time to help newbies like myself enjoy the full potential of our devices. I purchased a Vega yesterday and I have been reading this forum constantly in the last week to make sure I understood the update procedure before buying.

Amazingly I arrived home from work at 7.30 yesterday evening and was up and running with Paul's rom installed within 15 minutes. all thanks to the detailed advice from this forum.

Just for the record in case it helps others, I completed the install using Windows 7 64 bit. I simply opened the device manager before plugging in the Vega for the first time, and watched to see which new devices appeared. I then updated the driver by pointing windows at the drivers downloaded with the rom. once installed properly I simply typed the "install-windows.dat" command into a command window opened within the downloaded rom folder. I then pressed return and clutched my chest as my heart started beating uncontrollably as my Vega's screen went black and lines of code began streaming up the screen of my pc. but fortunately in mere moments I was re-booting and the custom rom had installed successfully. fantastic.

so thanks again to all who posted such great guides and of course Paul for the excellent rom.

I salute you all. :(

Guest Nemes1s
Hi all! I've just joined this forum today, to give a massive thanks to all you clever folk who take your time to help newbies like myself enjoy the full potential of our devices. I purchased a Vega yesterday and I have been reading this forum constantly in the last week to make sure I understood the update procedure before buying.

Amazingly I arrived home from work at 7.30 yesterday evening and was up and running with Paul's rom installed within 15 minutes. all thanks to the detailed advice from this forum.

Just for the record in case it helps others, I completed the install using Windows 7 64 bit. I simply opened the device manager before plugging in the Vega for the first time, and watched to see which new devices appeared. I then updated the driver by pointing windows at the drivers downloaded with the rom. once installed properly I simply typed the "install-windows.dat" command into a command window opened within the downloaded rom folder. I then pressed return and clutched my chest as my heart started beating uncontrollably as my Vega's screen went black and lines of code began streaming up the screen of my pc. but fortunately in mere moments I was re-booting and the custom rom had installed successfully. fantastic.

so thanks again to all who posted such great guides and of course Paul for the excellent rom.

I salute you all. :(

Welcome! Glad it went well for you! I assume you used the default rather than baking your own? I only ask cos you should consider going adfree to support the excellent work that Paul does. :(

Guest moko76
Welcome! Glad it went well for you! I assume you used the default rather than baking your own? I only ask cos you should consider going adfree to support the excellent work that Paul does. :(

I whole heartedly agree with that and I shall be paying for the full subscription on payday. this rom is well worth the fee on its own, and I quite fancy trying out the kitchen too. :(

Guest Tezza_uk
Now I don't know which one of us is confused. Please help me....:(

Please re-read your last post, from the perspective of someone who knows nothing about what you are trying to achieve.

Sorry, I want to help you, but I really don't have a clue what you are asking for.

"Premium subscriber with the Vega". Do you mean you have subscribed to Modaco and gone ad-free?

Paul has not released any firmware. Do you mean the mcr8 pack? If so, you can download that as a subscriber or not.

As I said before, you cannot" update straight from the site". In all cases, you download to your PC and install from there.

If I have missed again, please explain what you are trying to achieve in plain English.

Cheers

I wanna take an easy route if there is one, I thoght I might just be able to turn my Vega on, pay a subscription and update it to the custom rom directly from this site via the kitchen..

Don't matter, thanks for trying to help.

Tezza..

Guest simonta
I wanna take an easy route if there is one, I thoght I might just be able to turn my Vega on, pay a subscription and update it to the custom rom directly from this site via the kitchen..

Don't matter, thanks for trying to help.

Tezza..

Ah, gotcha.

Nope, you'll need to download it to your PC and install from there but it's easy enough. Lots of help on here and plenty of folks to help you with the USB drivers, which is the only tricky part.

Guest cjtkd
Ah, gotcha.

Nope, you'll need to download it to your PC and install from there but it's easy enough. Lots of help on here and plenty of folks to help you with the USB drivers, which is the only tricky part.

Hi, I'm considering going ahead with the r8 flash shortly, can I ask, whats the problems people are having with USB drivers? I don't wanna cripple my new toy lol

Thanks in advance.

Guest simonta
Hi, I'm considering going ahead with the r8 flash shortly, can I ask, whats the problems people are having with USB drivers? I don't wanna cripple my new toy lol

Thanks in advance.

It won't harm your Vega at all. Just that non computer savvy folks can struggle to get the correct USB device drivers installed in Windows. There are several tutes and many threads on how to fix this. If you're savvy, it's a doddle.

Cheers

Guest jaw90
It won't harm your Vega at all. Just that non computer savvy folks can struggle to get the correct USB device drivers installed in Windows. There are several tutes and many threads on how to fix this. If you're savvy, it's a doddle.

Cheers

My problems were purely due to a dodgy computer - i took it to sort my sisters laptop and did it using thaqt and it worked a treat, thanks a lot for the help guys :( worked first time on sisters laptop, am reinstalling windows from usb tonight. Has made thee vega much better to use!

Guest jaw90

Cheers

My problems were purely due to a dodgy computer - i took it to sort my sisters laptop and did it using thaqt and it worked a treat, thanks a lot for the help guys :( worked first time on sisters laptop, am reinstalling windows from usb tonight. Has made thee vega much better to use!