09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest cjtkd

Thanks again for your replies. Its nice to come across such an open forum that doesn't flame noobs the second they ask a question!

Am I as well going for the 'standard' download as opposed to the kitchen option as TBH I don't fully understand what all the different options are? I take it once I do work everything out I can simply re-flash with options I require?

Also (and again sorry for asking) can I ask what it is that the USB drivers (that are causing problems) do

Guest simonta

The mcr, and all sorts of other stuff, communicate with the Vega using the "Android Debug Bridge", hence adb.exe. ADB enables you to copy files, install apps, uninstall, set properties and much more. Just run adb.exe (or adb-windows.exe, same thing) with no options to see what it can do.

Windows knows nothing about the Vega when it's in debug mode (when you've selected USB Debugging) and takes it's default action of treating it as a mass storage device. A USB driver enables your PC to communicate with the device plugged in and with this default driver, ADB cannot communicate with the Vega. You must replace the driver Windows loads with the one included with mcr.

It's this last bit, replacing the driver, which folk struggle with. I've not been able to figure out why it causes so much trouble, I've always been able to replace a driver with ease - and whilst I am skilled, it doesn't need skill to do. Just follow the instructions in many places on this forum. I wish I could figure out what people find so hard but so far, have not been able to witness a "noob" trying to do it. Then, we could write the tute to end all tutes, help loads of people and prevent the forum clogging up with "I got my Vega today" threads :(

Edited by simonta

Guest cjtkd
The mcr, and all sorts of other stuff, communicate with the Vega using the "Android Debug Bridge", hence adb.exe. ADB enables you to copy files, install apps, uninstall, set properties and much more. Just run adb.exe (or adb-windows.exe, same thing) with no options to see what it can do.

Windows knows nothing about the Vega when it's in debug mode (when you've selected USB Debugging) and takes it's default action of treating it as a mass storage device. A USB driver enables your PC to communicate with the device plugged in and with this default driver, ADB cannot communicate with the Vega. You must replace the driver Windows loads with the one included with mcr.

It's this last bit, replacing the driver, which folk struggle with. I've not been able to figure out why it causes so much trouble, I've always been able to replace a driver with ease - and whilst I am skilled, it doesn't need skill to do. Just follow the instructions in many places on this forum. I wish I could figure out what people find so hard but so far, have not been able to witness a "noob" trying to do it. Then, we could write the tute to end all tutes, help loads of people and prevent the forum clogging up with "I got my Vega today" threads :(

Thanks for taking time to explain that - I'm sure it will be of help, not only to me, but to a lot of other people (like myself) that wander along for help.

Guest jastonas
this rom is awesome thanks! can't wait till the next version;)

Why is it not awesome for me? I get battery drained while in standby mode as if I had it open and playing games and browsing the internet at the same time!

Guest Nemes1s
Why is it not awesome for me? I get battery drained while in standby mode as if I had it open and playing games and browsing the internet at the same time!

How quickly does it drain? In standby it will still use power and still does various tasks such as wifi polling etc. Mine will discharge 20% overnight but did that anyway before in its vanilla state.

Guest pgcrooks

Hi all,

This is my first post here after weeks of reading and finally taking the plunge and buying a Vega... love it so far!

Well I've just tried to update my Vega to MCR and managed to completely kill it :( I did it through Ubuntu 10.10 netbook remix, followed the steps for linux:

1. Downloaded and unzipped all the files

2. Put the Vega into debug mode and connected to the laptop

3. Called "sudo ./install-linux.sh" from within the update directory

I then got a few "permission denied" errors, followed by "failed to copy 'files/system/lib/libicudata.so' to '/system/lib/libicudata.so': No space left on device". Bit weird! I've attached the full printout from terminal.

Tablet is now just sitting with a little green Android on it looking very sad, can't even get it into recovery mode to reflash with the standard image :( I'm guessing I've done something very stupid but after reading through all this I can't see where I've gone wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Luckily I took out the warentee for a month, may be needing it...

Thanks,

Paul

error.txt

Edited by pgcrooks

Guest Mogedwards

I wouldn't worry too much. I have been there and got out of it. There are numerous threads with advice. I don't remember how I sorted mine but I do remember that searching for "Bricked" found the necessaary threads.

Guest cjtkd
How quickly does it drain? In standby it will still use power and still does various tasks such as wifi polling etc. Mine will discharge 20% overnight but did that anyway before in its vanilla state.

I was about to post something similar, went to bed on 74%, woke up to 62%. Ive noticed that the battery drains from the top end much quicker than any other point. 100% to around 89% seems to fly by but after that settles down to around 1% ever 5 mins or so. Seems to me to be around 10% evey hour which i guess sounds right?

Are there many stories of faulty batteries similar to the iphone 3gs on its release?

Thanks for the article on removing the phone option, does it make that much difference? Also which USB mode should the vega be in as it doesbt state it.

Can the app simply be removed when using r8 rather than the other method? Sorry for the noob questions.

Guest pgcrooks
Hi all,

Tablet is now just sitting with a little green Android on it looking very sad, can't even get it into recovery mode to reflash with the standard image :( I'm guessing I've done something very stupid but after reading through all this I can't see where I've gone wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Luckily I took out the warentee for a month, may be needing it...

Thanks,

Paul

Ignore me, I've learnt my lesson... XP is the only way to go! Forget Ubuntu or 7, XP is so easy :(

Edited by pgcrooks

Guest Nemes1s
I was about to post something similar, went to bed on 74%, woke up to 62%. Ive noticed that the battery drains from the top end much quicker than any other point. 100% to around 89% seems to fly by but after that settles down to around 1% ever 5 mins or so. Seems to me to be around 10% evey hour which i guess sounds right?

Are there many stories of faulty batteries similar to the iphone 3gs on its release?

Thanks for the article on removing the phone option, does it make that much difference? Also which USB mode should the vega be in as it doesbt state it.

Can the app simply be removed when using r8 rather than the other method? Sorry for the noob questions.

I use one of the task/process managers (cant remember which at the mo) which kills that (and some other) processes on start. You could also use Tasker I guess - brilliant application BTW and thoroughly recommended.

I now have the Vega Dock so just leave it docked most of the time so battery no longer an issue for me :(

Guest Nemes1s
Ignore me, I've learnt my lesson... XP is the only way to go! Forget Ubuntu or 7, XP is so easy :(

So have you managed to apply the MCR to your Vega via XP now?

Guest pgcrooks
So have you managed to apply the MCR to your Vega via XP now?

Yeah I have, it's working perfectly now. Just panicked a bit last night! Thanks

hi all, I'm going mad trying to mod my vega, I can't find it in device manager, let alone mod the adb bridge ... is anyone up for making a couple of Quid in the Colchester area (who isn't a total muppet, like me) who can mod my vega for me and save my sanity :(

Guest simonta
hi all, I'm going mad trying to mod my vega, I can't find it in device manager, let alone mod the adb bridge ... is anyone up for making a couple of Quid in the Colchester area (who isn't a total muppet, like me) who can mod my vega for me and save my sanity :(

Before you flash your cash, check this out. You on XP or Vista/7?

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...p/#entry1629891

Guest tony barnes

Hey all - finally got round to buying one of these on the premise of various things seeming to work nicely now, so started trying to get the r8 on.

Instant snag - can't get USB sorted, doing my head in. I plugged the Vega in, found the device, uninstalled it, then installed the driver from the main download on page 1. Device manager now shows 'Android phone - Android composite ADB interface' - no exclamation marks, all gravy. Set the vega in debug mode - little bug shows up. Go to run the install, nada. No devices found.

Prior to uninstalling/re-installing the drivers, I had managed to get the install to half fire up without changing the drivers (had forgotten that step!) - it actually found the vega, but wouldn't do anything with it

Also tried on Mac, but it threw up loads of 'command not known' errors.

Confused, lol, and I'm pretty decent at messing with computers !!

Guest Willy130683

Hi i've a question just for my interest.

So i've a PoV mobii and all guides for installing the modaco Rom say that you have to install the Vega 1.09 firmware first. I think also the guides for the vega say that.

But why is this i thought in a Rom you have a full working OS. When i install a new Rom to my Desire there isn't even some thing like a firmware.

The only thought i have on this is that the modaco Rom is a Full Android OS, but in the firmwares of Advent or PoV there is also a Kernel included. Is this the point to first install a special firmware, if not or there are other reasons too, can somebody explain it please?

regards,

Willy

Guest thedicemaster

mcr r8 doesn't need any specific firmware/rom.

there are 2 "exceptions" though:

1.09: some people reported wifi problems after flashing a rom(mcr r8 or 1.08) on top of 1.09

mobii tegra roms: mobii tegra roms run in host mode by default, in which case you can try wireless adb, or install an advent vega rom first(i recommend this, and installing 1.08 or older)

Guest maxhore

hi sorry but i cant see this answer anywhere else on the site.

i cant install the usb driver update contained within the rom download. my pc tells me that i already have the best software. so i cant get any further than that. im on win 7 64bit. ive tried skipping this step but it just doesnt work.

hi sorry but i cant see this answer anywhere else on the site.

i cant install the usb driver update contained within the rom download. my pc tells me that i already have the best software. so i cant get any further than that. im on win 7 64bit. ive tried skipping this step but it just doesnt work.

Try video guides may help

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...7/#entry1534825

Guest scaramanga182

Hi everyone. Took the plunge yesterday and got myself a vega. Put the rom from this thread on without issue (always heart in mouth moment when flashing anything!) and got to say very impressed so far! Only niggle so far is that wifi takes up to a minute to connect once woken from sleep mode but i can live with that.

Cant wait to see what else i can do with this tablet.

Sent from my shiney new vega. :D

Guest gdwhitehouse
Hi everyone. Took the plunge yesterday and got myself a vega. Put the rom from this thread on without issue (always heart in mouth moment when flashing anything!) and got to say very impressed so far! Only niggle so far is that wifi takes up to a minute to connect once woken from sleep mode but i can live with that.

Cant wait to see what else i can do with this tablet.

Sent from my shiney new vega. :D

Try using a fixed IP address if DHCP is not a necessity - it will connect much quicker.

G