09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest k22fitness

Ok this is alla bit new to me. I had a Vega with everything installed but when the screen messed up I had to exchange it I got a new one which meant I now have to mod it. Followed all the instructions but all i am getting from it is this message

*daemon started sucessfully*

nothing else happens.... What am I doing wrong?

Guest Fuzzysteve
Ok this is alla bit new to me. I had a Vega with everything installed but when the screen messed up I had to exchange it I got a new one which meant I now have to mod it. Followed all the instructions but all i am getting from it is this message

*daemon started sucessfully*

nothing else happens.... What am I doing wrong?

/Probably/ need to change your usb drivers to the ones included with the rom.

Take a look at:

usb drivers post

Short version:

unzip the usb drivers zip that came with the rom

Find the nvidia harmony entry in the device manager. Hit update drivers. Tell it to use the directory the usb drivers were extracted to.

Then try updating it again

Guest Diveokidoki

Hi Yall,

Finally I got a result today, I ve got r8 running now and the reason it had problems was that Vista and W7 where not supporting the application but the XP did the trick so my Vega is up and running and ready to be explored.

Thanks for your help to you all.

Jeff

Guest radish500

just wanted to say thanks and how easy the update was to apply!! My only issue now is that I can't get access to the Market.. one down, another issue to go!

Cheers

Guest nigel_p

Hi all. I thought I'd share my solution.

First the problem. I spent hours trying to find the correct USB device in Vista. Even the tip about using USBdeview to find it didn't seem to help. My solution was to install the PC software for PDAnet which successfully set up a USB ADB device which was visible in device mgr - I could then easily update the driver for that device using the files from inside the custom rom archive I downloaded. Hope this helps a little.

PS thank's for providing a great custom rom so glad to have proper android on my Vega...

Cheers

Nigel

Guest simonta
Hi all. I thought I'd share my solution.

First the problem. I spent hours trying to find the correct USB device in Vista. Even the tip about using USBdeview to find it didn't seem to help. My solution was to install the PC software for PDAnet which successfully set up a USB ADB device which was visible in device mgr - I could then easily update the driver for that device using the files from inside the custom rom archive I downloaded. Hope this helps a little.

PS thank's for providing a great custom rom so glad to have proper android on my Vega...

Cheers

Nigel

Now that, sir, is a top tip. One to add to the armoury.

Thanks!

Guest topitu
Now I don't know which one of us is confused. Please help me....:D

Please re-read your last post, from the perspective of someone who knows nothing about what you are trying to achieve.

Sorry, I want to help you, but I really don't have a clue what you are asking for.

"Premium subscriber with the Vega". Do you mean you have subscribed to Modaco and gone ad-free?

Paul has not released any firmware. Do you mean the mcr8 pack? If so, you can download that as a subscriber or not.

As I said before, you cannot" update straight from the site". In all cases, you download to your PC and install from there.

If I have missed again, please explain what you are trying to achieve in plain English.

Cheers

I'M a premium member and i cant download the custom rom any help will be apreciated

Guest deelou

Installation

To install this ROM (without using ClockworkMod recovery):

[*]Ensure you have USB debugging enabled on your device (enabled in Settings->Applications->Development)

[*]If you are using Windows, your USB 'Android Developer Bridge' driver MUST be the one included in this download (use 'Have Disk' functionality in device manager to change if required)

[*]Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and extract on your Windows PC, Linux PC or Mac

[*]Connect your device to your PC

[*]At a command prompt / terminal, ensure you are in the directory you extracted the files, and run 'install-windows.bat', './install-linux.sh' or './install-mac.sh' as appropriate

[*]Wait for your device to reboot! :D

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and have only recently bought my Vega tablet.

I have followed the instructions above:

downloaded file

extracted zip file contents onto laptop

installed usb driver as instructed

connected tablet to pc with debugging enabled

run the install-windows.bat file

at this point I get a message stating:

"Waiting for device... ensure 'USB Debugging' is enabled in Settings-Applications-Development and connect to PC"

My Vega is connected, and showing up in My Computer as "Removable Disk D" but the install application is getting no further.

I am using an Acer Aspire One running Windows XP.... can anyone help?? Please??

I just got one and read about this mod beforehand, but I am completely lost, I cannot find it in device manager at all.

I am also trying to make sure I have the latest version from myadvent as the video says, but I follow their instructions to install it, but its an exe instead of a zip, and it won't find it.

/Probably/ need to change your usb drivers to the ones included with the rom.

Take a look at:

usb drivers post

Short version:

unzip the usb drivers zip that came with the rom

Find the nvidia harmony entry in the device manager. Hit update drivers. Tell it to use the directory the usb drivers were extracted to.

Then try updating it again

Getting the same as that user now.

I went to the device properties via down near the clock, and went to update it, it said I already had the most up to date drivers, still, the same thing when I run the installer from cmd.

Does it not work with 64 bit windows 7?

Edited by adfo

Okay, so, got a solution I think, In the Run dialog box, type hdwwiz.

Then select those usb drivers from this download, and it should install it, I had to do it a few times as it said it wouldn't start, but its doing the update from here as I type this.

Guest QuazyXD
Installation

To install this ROM (without using ClockworkMod recovery):

[*]Ensure you have USB debugging enabled on your device (enabled in Settings->Applications->Development)

[*]If you are using Windows, your USB 'Android Developer Bridge' driver MUST be the one included in this download (use 'Have Disk' functionality in device manager to change if required)

[*]Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and extract on your Windows PC, Linux PC or Mac

[*]Connect your device to your PC

[*]At a command prompt / terminal, ensure you are in the directory you extracted the files, and run 'install-windows.bat', './install-linux.sh' or './install-mac.sh' as appropriate

[*]Wait for your device to reboot! :D

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and have only recently bought my Vega tablet.

I have followed the instructions above:

downloaded file

extracted zip file contents onto laptop

installed usb driver as instructed

connected tablet to pc with debugging enabled

run the install-windows.bat file

at this point I get a message stating:

"Waiting for device... ensure 'USB Debugging' is enabled in Settings-Applications-Development and connect to PC"

My Vega is connected, and showing up in My Computer as "Removable Disk D" but the install application is getting no further.

I am using an Acer Aspire One running Windows XP.... can anyone help?? Please??

I am using the same laptop and operating system with no problems the vega should be coming up as two separate things when you connect it. It should be both the removable disk D and "adb" something or other which means you either have a problem with usb debugging or the modaco driver did not install properly. I found this video

was helpful although you have to take in to account he's using a mac the principles are pretty much the same. Hope this helps.

Guest jester1720

Guys, what am I doing wrong!!!! I'm trying to install the r8 mod. I dont have an 'Android Developer Bridge' anywhere on my drivers on windows 7. tried to install via clockworkmod and so far killed 2 vegas ! class me as a complete idiot, but when i try and reboot into recovery mode the vega sticks, after half hour i get fed up and power down, killing another one.....any advice? cheers

Guest Mogedwards
Guys, what am I doing wrong!!!! I'm trying to install the r8 mod. I dont have an 'Android Developer Bridge' anywhere on my drivers on windows 7. tried to install via clockworkmod and so far killed 2 vegas ! class me as a complete idiot, but when i try and reboot into recovery mode the vega sticks, after half hour i get fed up and power down, killing another one.....any advice? cheers

Are you making the mistake I was making. If the backlight is on, it is not in recovery mode. The screen has to be totally blank. I found two seconds was two long in the recovery sequence, because by then the backlight had always come on.

Look at this http://android.modaco.com/index.php?act=at...st&id=70546

Guest flashedit

Hi have updated to r8 prebaked but have no usb switch app is this a feture of a kitchen bake only any help would be apprecaited

Edited by flashedit

Guest ezynow
Hi have updated to r8 prebaked but have no usb switch app is this a feture of a kitchen bake only any help would be apprecaited

Originally, mine did not have it on. Download again & reflashed (default rom/pre-baked) and had the usb switch app.

Guest Fuzzysteve

If you have 'nvidia harmony' showing up, /that/ is what needs to have its drivers updated.

Guest flashedit
Originally, mine did not have it on. Download again & reflashed (default rom/pre-baked) and had the usb switch app.

Thanks sorted now !!!!

Guest Country Bumkin

Just a small request if someone could advise me.

I successfully installed the r7 ROM with the 1.08 firmware last month and all my applications worked fine including some free books I downloaded.

However last week I upgraded to 1.09 and r8 ROM and found the books I downloaded would only display in what seems to be mobile phone size windows not the full screen like they did before. I’ve re-flashed back to the standard 1.09 firmware and they now display fine.

Can anyone check if their free download books from the market (if you have any), display correctly with 1.09 and r8 or can provide any other advice?

Thanks CB.

Guest gingercat
Just a small request if someone could advise me.

I successfully installed the r7 ROM with the 1.08 firmware last month and all my applications worked fine including some free books I downloaded.

However last week I upgraded to 1.09 and r8 ROM and found the books I downloaded would only display in what seems to be mobile phone size windows not the full screen like they did before. I’ve re-flashed back to the standard 1.09 firmware and they now display fine.

Can anyone check if their free download books from the market (if you have any), display correctly with 1.09 and r8 or can provide any other advice?

Thanks CB.

Have you disabled compatibility mode in spare-parts? If not, do that, then reboot.

Guest Country Bumkin
Have you disabled compatibility mode in spare-parts? If not, do that, then reboot.

Thanks, I'll try that when I re-install the r8 ROM, I thought you had to have it turned on :D .

Guest thedicemaster
Thanks, I'll try that when I re-install the r8 ROM, I thought you had to have it turned on :D .

no.

it seems a bit odd from a user's point of view.

in compatibility mode, android provides a small 800x480 window for old apps to work with, solving problems with bad resizing.

android then presents you that 800x480 window unchanged on a 1024x600 screen(some apps may even be presented with resolutions lower than 800x480 to work with)

with compatibility mode off apps are presented with the entire 1024x600 screen, and should handle the resizing themselves.

some apps have only specific resolutions pre-programmed causing problems like UI elements being shifted off their actual location(messing up touch accuracy, and UI layout)

Guest Country Bumkin
no.

it seems a bit odd from a user's point of view.

in compatibility mode, android provides a small 800x480 window for old apps to work with, solving problems with bad resizing.

android then presents you that 800x480 window unchanged on a 1024x600 screen(some apps may even be presented with resolutions lower than 800x480 to work with)

with compatibility mode off apps are presented with the entire 1024x600 screen, and should handle the resizing themselves.

some apps have only specific resolutions pre-programmed causing problems like UI elements being shifted off their actual location(messing up touch accuracy, and UI layout)

You are a star, after beating my laptop to death (not really) trying to get the ADB drivers re-installed so I could install the ROM I finally read this link http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...4/#entry1527188

(I had a yellow exclamation mark on the driver and an unable to start warning), I tracked it down to the boot-loader drivers still being installed from the original firmware upgrade to 1.09. They did not show up on the device manager list but did with the USBDeview program (this is in the Vega Tools application), I had to start in Administrator mode to remove the old drivers and once done the ADB driver started working.

Note: Windows 7 32 bit in case anyone is interested.

Installing the ROM and changing the compatibility mode to off fixed the books problem fine.

Thanks again, CB