09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest bigtem

Thanks for this... well worth the donation!

Only issue i have is adding facebook account to contacts like on my desire..

Any suggestions?

Guest Valjean

Hi there, I'm a very newbie in your forum. I apologize if I don't post correctly.

I installed support for flash from Advent webpage, and it worked correctly. Then I installed MCR r8 and works fine, but now I have lost flash support.

The question is... Must I install again the flash support from Advent? and Will MCR r8 remains ok? Thank you for your valuable help.

Think I have found the answer... I have installed flash 10.2 from android market and works fine.

Edited by Valjean

Guest gingercat
Thanks for this... well worth the donation!

Only issue i have is adding facebook account to contacts like on my desire..

Any suggestions?

On the desire it is part of HTC sense which the Vega doesn't have. I use TweetDeck on my Vega.

Guest Captain Crouton

Hi folks,

I'm sorry to be asking questions with my first post, but I must admit to being a little confused. I have bought a Vega for my wife on the understanding that there's 'a mod you install to get the market' and a link to this thread. Unfortunately, although I have owned Android phones for a couple of years now, I have never needed to modify or 'root' them, so this process is not something I am familiar with.

I tried to follow the instructions in the first post:

* Ensure you have USB debugging enabled on your device (enabled in Settings->Applications->Development) - yup, easy enough

* If you are using Windows, your USB 'Android Developer Bridge' driver MUST be the one included in this download (use 'Have Disk' functionality in device manager to change if required) - my USB what? Erm...

* Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and extract on your Windows PC, Linux PC or Mac - ok, easy enough

* Connect your device to your PC - check

* At a command prompt / terminal, ensure you are in the directory you extracted the files, and run 'install-windows.bat', './install-linux.sh' or './install-mac.sh' as appropriate - hmm... how long am I supposed to wait? It's not doing anything...

* Wait for your device to reboot! smile.gif

I appreciate that as I have no idea what a USB Android Developer Bridge is then the rest of the procedure is probably not going to work, but I can't find out how to install this thing. Google has suggested I just connect my Vega to my pc (W7, incidentally) and then go to Computer -> Manage and select 'Other Device' - but the problem is that there is no 'other device' listed. Am I supposed to be in USB storage mode or something?

Can someone help out a complete newbie, please?

Many thanks!

Guest simonta
Hi folks,

I'm sorry to be asking questions with my first post, but I must admit to being a little confused. I have bought a Vega for my wife on the understanding that there's 'a mod you install to get the market' and a link to this thread. Unfortunately, although I have owned Android phones for a couple of years now, I have never needed to modify or 'root' them, so this process is not something I am familiar with.

I tried to follow the instructions in the first post:

* Ensure you have USB debugging enabled on your device (enabled in Settings->Applications->Development) - yup, easy enough

* If you are using Windows, your USB 'Android Developer Bridge' driver MUST be the one included in this download (use 'Have Disk' functionality in device manager to change if required) - my USB what? Erm...

* Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and extract on your Windows PC, Linux PC or Mac - ok, easy enough

* Connect your device to your PC - check

* At a command prompt / terminal, ensure you are in the directory you extracted the files, and run 'install-windows.bat', './install-linux.sh' or './install-mac.sh' as appropriate - hmm... how long am I supposed to wait? It's not doing anything...

* Wait for your device to reboot! smile.gif

I appreciate that as I have no idea what a USB Android Developer Bridge is then the rest of the procedure is probably not going to work, but I can't find out how to install this thing. Google has suggested I just connect my Vega to my pc (W7, incidentally) and then go to Computer -> Manage and select 'Other Device' - but the problem is that there is no 'other device' listed. Am I supposed to be in USB storage mode or something?

Can someone help out a complete newbie, please?

Many thanks!

I've just posted a guide to installing USB drivers on Windows 7. Skip down to the section "Installing the MCR".

Cheers

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...es-for-windows/

Guest Squire_Au

Hey! Firstly, a big THANKYOU for this site, and for all the great information it has. From everyone involved.

I've had my DreamBook ePAd P10 (Vega clone) since just before Christmas, and I finally decided to give it some bling. And I am seriously sick of the bluetooth cutting out for a few seconds at a time, every minute or so. Makes listening to music extremely painful.

Anyways, I read that there's a bluetooth upgrade included in the Modaco Custom ROM.

After a lot of pain and colourful language I got the USB drivers installed on my win7 box, and finally got the MCR loaded. Woohoo!

Now it's a different beast. Although it comes up with Vega on the boot screen, instead of "P10AN01 We Create!"

For some reason plugplayer won't see the DLNA server on my win7 box... but it died a few days before I did the upgrade, so I suspect my Win7 box, not the MCR. btw... the MCR didn't fix plugplayer, it still doesn't see my win7 DLNA server. I checked and rechecked my firewall, all my settings, everything seemed ok. So I downloaded UpnPlay, it works. Although it's VERY slow to see the win7 server. I'll keep trying, maybe I'll load Twonky onto my win7 box, instead of media player 12.

This post is long enough... I'll update you all as I go.

THANKS again for this site, and the MCR, and everything.

PW

Guest louca001

Hi Paul

First of all I'd like to say I believe nothing is free so I subscribed and paid my fees.

2nd, I'm having real trouble. If I fun the "Install-Windows.bat" it can't find my device or says my adb is out of date and doesn't continue.

And

although I have tried and spent several hours, 6 in total I can't install ClockworkMod Recovery.

Are there any more detailed instructions available?

P.S. I'm using windows 7 ultimate

Guest simonta
Hi Paul

First of all I'd like to say I believe nothing is free so I subscribed and paid my fees.

2nd, I'm having real trouble. If I fun the "Install-Windows.bat" it can't find my device or says my adb is out of date and doesn't continue.

And

although I have tried and spent several hours, 6 in total I can't install ClockworkMod Recovery.

Are there any more detailed instructions available?

P.S. I'm using windows 7 ultimate

Did you read the various install guides already on the forum?

Guest louca001
Did you read the various install guides already on the forum?

Been reading the forum for about 6 hours, various install guides but can't get any of them to work. just can't seem to get the ADB to appear on my PC

Do you think it's because I'm running windows 7?

If I could get the ruddy ADB thing to pop up I could do the install no problem.

Guest simonta
Been reading the forum for about 6 hours, various install guides but can't get any of them to work. just can't seem to get the ADB to appear on my PC

Do you think it's because I'm running windows 7?

If I could get the ruddy ADB thing to pop up I could do the install no problem.

Try this one

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...-driver-guides/

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

Guest Captain Crouton

Simonta, thanks for that link, that was just what I needed (along with a couple of 'how-to' videos on youtube so I knew what to expect), I now have a nicely updated Vega complete with Market (and tons of other stuff that I have no idea what it does! :D )

Thanks to everyone for all the hard work work that has obviously gone into this site and the information on here.

Guest Tainlorn

Just wondering if there are any plans to update the ROM to the new 1.09 release with new optimised flash player?

Currently using the 1.08 ROM and love it, everything runs very well, bar iplayer. No matter what browser or version of flash i try, iplayer is unwatchable. It glitches the video, the audio looses sync and it drives me up the wall. Would love to see if this update solves the 1 remaining annoyance i have on my vega.

Guest mad.dog

+1 for this

I've been checking daily to see if Paul has updated at all

Alas I think he's got other things to work on now.....may have to go clockwork

Guest English Haze
Just wondering if there are any plans to update the ROM to the new 1.09 release with new optimised flash player?

Another +1 to this.

However, I don't seem to have the same problems with BBC iPlayer. The audio does sometimes run out of sync. but I can reset it by moving the progress bar back a little and it seems to re-align. And it only happens every now and then. Video quality is near perfect!

It would be great, however, to have the proper Flash player update.

Guest simonta
Hi there,

Possibly a silly question, but is this an entire Rom Image or an add-on to the original firmware?

Thanks

It's an add-on.

Cheers

Guest Tainlorn
It's an add-on.

Cheers

Its a full ROM isnt it? Paul says in post 15 on the first page that it replaces everything. Unless im misinterpreting.

Guest dexta211
Its a full ROM isnt it? Paul says in post 15 on the first page that it replaces everything. Unless im misinterpreting.

It was that exact post that caused me to ask!

I'm getting a Vega next week, and i like to be prepared. So am i right in thinking that if the official firmware is 1.09 i can put this on too?

If the firmware is lower than 1.09 should i update it?

Sorry for the questions, maybe a little FAQ with these things could be added to the first post?

Thanks

Guest Ravide

Hi Folks,

I just got an Advent Vega off ebay. It has not been flashed. Downloaded the pre-baked version modaco r8. Managed to install the usb drivers that came with it. But when i tried installing the ROM by typing "install-windows.bat" it keeps looping with the message

"daemon not running. starting it in port 5037"

"daemon started successfully"

I did everything accordingly don't know why this is happening. Has anyone experienced similar problems?

Running Windows XP and 1.09 ROM on the Vega.

Appreciate any advice guys and thanks in advance.

best regards,

Guest simonta
Hi Folks,

I just got an Advent Vega off ebay. It has not been flashed. Downloaded the pre-baked version modaco r8. Managed to install the usb drivers that came with it. But when i tried installing the ROM by typing "install-windows.bat" it keeps looping with the message

I did everything accordingly don't know why this is happening. Has anyone experienced similar problems?

Running Windows XP and 1.09 ROM on the Vega.

Appreciate any advice guys and thanks in advance.

best regards,

Hi

I assume that you rebooted your PC? If so, then uninstall the drivers (and delete them also if offered the option), don't reboot then reinstall them by going to Control Panel, Add Hardware and browsing to the drivers again - the ones downloaded with the mcr.

Guest Ravide
Hi

I assume that you rebooted your PC? If so, then uninstall the drivers (and delete them also if offered the option), don't reboot then reinstall them by going to Control Panel, Add Hardware and browsing to the drivers again - the ones downloaded with the mcr.

Hi Simonta,

Thanks for the input. However earlier this morning, i managed to install it using my Windows 7, 64bit laptop. For some reason, although i had successfully installed the usb driver yesterday night wth my XP laptop, this morning when i connected the vega to my Win 7 laptop it showed a message that the device was not recognised. So i installed the usb drivers and then proceeded to install the ROM without any glitches!!! Absolutely chuffed :D

Appreciate the input though. I guess it must have been my XP laptop that caused the problem. Anyway, onwards and upwards from here.....

Thanks a lot,

best regards,

Guest sknne

Hello, are we going to be getting an update soon on the roms, although they are good, they are far from perfect, i still have a few graphical issues and lag. Its great that we have the custom roms that we paid for, but I would like to see more cool stuff added to it on a regular basis, a proper look into the 4 point multi-touch that the Vega can do and Honey comb would be a nice addition?

Thanks.

Guest premieral
Hello, are we going to be getting an update soon on the roms, although they are good, they are far from perfect, i still have a few graphical issues and lag. Its great that we have the custom roms that we paid for, but I would like to see more cool stuff added to it on a regular basis, a proper look into the 4 point multi-touch that the Vega can do and Honey comb would be a nice addition?

Thanks.

The Rom updates and all the work put in by the chefs is not a right it is to help benefit the community as a whole with there skills and imagination, as Paul states very clearly on his rom post, dont pay expecting to get any updates as he may be too busy in the future.

as you can see from all the other posts every body would like everything but patience is a virtue just be grateful for what you get when you get it :D