09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Country Bumkin

I don't know if this will help anyone having problems installing the drivers on Vista and Windows 7 but the usual cause of the code 10 unable to start and the yellow explanation mark is because another driver is conflicting with the ADB driver.

In my case it was because I had already installed the Vega drivers from the Advent site to upgrade the firmware to version 1.09, these drivers although I could not see them conflicted with the ADB driver.

To remove them you either have to uninstall the ADB drivers (and delete them if you can), then unplug the Vega, put it into recovery mode (the 2 sec switch thing), plug it back in so the Advent drivers show up, uninstall and delete the Advent drivers, then try again with the ADB drivers.

A simpler way is to download the small program USBdeview, and with nothing plugged in look for any Nvidia (0955) drivers and delete them. This should allow the ADB drivers to start and run correctly. You may have to re-install the ADB drivers after removing the Nvidia drivers I did just in case.

For more help go to this link;

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...-wrong-win7-64/

The section beginning with the bolded title is the bit that worked for me after a very frustrating afternoon trying to get a Windows 7 laptop that had worked fine a week before to upload the r8 ROM.

I don't know if this will help anyone having problems installing the drivers on Vista and Windows 7 but the usual cause of the code 10 unable to start and the yellow explanation mark is because another driver is conflicting with the ADB driver.

In my case it was because I had already installed the Vega drivers from the Advent site to upgrade the firmware to version 1.09, these drivers although I could not see them conflicted with the ADB driver.

To remove them you either have to uninstall the ADB drivers (and delete them if you can), then unplug the Vega, put it into recovery mode (the 2 sec switch thing), plug it back in so the Advent drivers show up, uninstall and delete the Advent drivers, then try again with the ADB drivers.

A simpler way is to download the small program USBdeview, and with nothing plugged in look for any Nvidia (0955) drivers and delete them. This should allow the ADB drivers to start and run correctly. You may have to re-install the ADB drivers after removing the Nvidia drivers I did just in case.

For more help go to this link;

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...-wrong-win7-64/

The section beginning with the bolded title is the bit that worked for me after a very frustrating afternoon trying to get a Windows 7 laptop that had worked fine a week before to upload the r8 ROM.

Thanks for the advice, I think the USBdeview prog sounds like a winner. In the end I installed via my wifes PC which has never had any android devices installed, it took some brute force and ignorance but it evetually worked. So I now have a shiny mcr r8 vega, now setting about pipmping it out further. :D

Guest leemain88

hi guys, is there any chance in one of you knowledgeable people uploading a video guide on how to install MCR for all the noob's like ME!! this is giving me a real headache and really cant wait to get this stock rom off my tab!!!

Guest nfuse

i have the viewsonic viewpad 10s and did not use adb just extract an orignial firmware (1.09) replace the recovery.img with the clockworkmod version and reflash then download the vega recovery tool from the market and voila cw is working then you can mount and restore the custom roms.

Guest mrspaceman

Brilliant.

I have finally flashed paul's r8 ROM. it's brilliant. really fast and does everything I want (and more :D

brilliant.

here's looking forward to gingerbread (may have a look into this myself!)

Guest darkf

Hi, Paul. I just got the Advent Vega and downloaded the custom Rom. I am using windows 7 x64 and trying to install it but nothing. It's says " daemon started successfully" and nothing. Am i doing anything wrong?? Thanks.

Guest simonta
Hi, Paul. I just got the Advent Vega and downloaded the custom Rom. I am using windows 7 x64 and trying to install it but nothing. It's says " daemon started successfully" and nothing. Am i doing anything wrong?? Thanks.

In the spirit of "give a man a fish".

There is a huge amount of help and info in the forum which will give you everything you need. There is little about the Vega that has not been asked and answered before. Cheers

Guest darkf
In the spirit of "give a man a fish".

There is a huge amount of help and info in the forum which will give you everything you need. There is little about the Vega that has not been asked and answered before. Cheers

I know that. The problem is that i cannot make the ADB usb driver work in windows 7. I try to install it so i can continue but nothing.

Guest sknne
You've not paid for the rom, you've donated to go ad-free in support of Paul's work

I paid to use the kitchen, hence the rom as I wanted it.

Guest simonta
I know that. The problem is that i cannot make the ADB usb driver work in windows 7. I try to install it so i can continue but nothing.

When I search for Windows 7 USB, I get many links including several step by step guides. Which of these have you tried?

Guest simonta
I paid to use the kitchen, hence the rom as I wanted it.

You can use the kitchen without going ad free. Many have. You have not paid for the ROM.

Guest darkf
When I search for Windows 7 USB, I get many links including several step by step guides. Which of these have you tried?

I used first the guide of Paul's from the first page. Then i tried to use the "adb over wireless" app but i cannot find the apk file to install it in my Vega. Then i copied the zip file to my sd card and start in recovery mode but nothing. My pc does not recognize the adb driver corectly.

Guest simonta
Ok, i tried but nothing. It keeps saying The device cannot start. ( Code 10).

Right click the device, select Properties->Details-Hardware IDs. Right click to copy the first ID and paste it here please.

Guest darkf
Right click the device, select Properties->Details-Hardware IDs. Right click to copy the first ID and paste it here please.

usb\vid_0955&pid_7100&mi_01

Guest simonta

OK, that's right. Sorry, I'm stumped at the moment. I fully understand it you're not interested, but I have a long running offer to give remote help to anyone who wants it. I haven't failed yet to get one running!

PS. Are you certain that you started device manager via MMC running as administrator, as my guide says? Failing to run device manager as administrator will cause the symptom you describe. It is NOT enough for your account to be in the local administrators group.

Guest darkf
OK, that's right. Sorry, I'm stumped at the moment. I fully understand it you're not interested, but I have a long running offer to give remote help to anyone who wants it. I haven't failed yet to get one running!

PS. Are you certain that you started device manager via MMC running as administrator, as my guide says? Failing to run device manager as administrator will cause the symptom you describe. It is NOT enough for your account to be in the local administrators group.

Yes we can do a remote help if it helps. The first part worked flashing the stock firmware. But the second no.

Edited by darkf

Guest simonta

Sorry, just saw this and I'm jetlagged at the moment. Can we do this tomorrow? PM me with a time that suits and I'll give you my mobile number.

Cheers

Guest sknne
You can use the kitchen without going ad free. Many have. You have not paid for the ROM.

Really, then why does it say "This online kitchen is currently only available to my MoDaCo premium members (those who have signed up to MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus)."

hmm?

Guest darkf
Sorry, just saw this and I'm jetlagged at the moment. Can we do this tomorrow? PM me with a time that suits and I'll give you my mobile number.

Cheers

Finally i got it working. I used a pc with windows xp and that's it. Thanks for the help.

Guest Steven-R-Raith

For what it's worth, if you are having problems on Windows platforms, I strongly recommend downloading a Live Linux ISO (Ubuntu is good for beginners) and boot from that as a CD/USB pen, then use the Linux .sh script.

No driver worries, no UAC, or any of that. And assuming you choose the 'live' environment (where you load up a desktop, not an OS installer, natch) then it won't affect how your Windows side of things runs in any way at all.

I had the ROM installed on my shiny new Vega within (literally) five minutes of getting it out of the box - and that included the time to download the ROM - on my Ubuntu Netbook thingy. :D

Worth a look if you are having real trouble with the Windows side of things.

Guest darkf
For what it's worth, if you are having problems on Windows platforms, I strongly recommend downloading a Live Linux ISO (Ubuntu is good for beginners) and boot from that as a CD/USB pen, then use the Linux .sh script.

No driver worries, no UAC, or any of that. And assuming you choose the 'live' environment (where you load up a desktop, not an OS installer, natch) then it won't affect how your Windows side of things runs in any way at all.

I had the ROM installed on my shiny new Vega within (literally) five minutes of getting it out of the box - and that included the time to download the ROM - on my Ubuntu Netbook thingy. :D

Worth a look if you are having real trouble with the Windows side of things.

I never thought of that. Might use it next time. Thanks.