09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest beegee1962
Hi

I've just purchased the advent vega (love it so far!) and became a member so I could download the custom rom without ads.

I have installed it with not too much trouble but I have ads!

Did I do the download wrong (I did use the kitchen) or are ads appearing because I now have downloaded apps?

Thanks

stephen

To get ads free Vega you don't need to become a member on MoDaCo.

You need either adsfree from the market or change your hosts file on the Vega manually against one that blocks advertisment urls.

ROMs like Corvus5 or mine have that hosts file included.

Guest LcfcUCIAN

Hi I am downloading the r8, but for some reason i cannot find the android_winusb.inf file in there. I am not good/use to doing this so I want to make sure I am doing it right so I dont break my vega and give myself more to do if that makes sense?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Guest beegee1962
Hi I am downloading the r8, but for some reason i cannot find the android_winusb.inf file in there. I am not good/use to doing this so I want to make sure I am doing it right so I dont break my vega and give myself more to do if that makes sense?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

After downloading the r8 file, unzip it. You will see a usbdriver folder in it. In this folder is r1-tegrausbdrivers-modaco.zip. Unzip this and you will find the USB drivers.

Guest immortalbuttercup

I dont fully understand the instructions can someone help,

Im not exactly highly familiar with command propt and its that bit im stuck just done have a clue.

help please. :]

Guest simonta
I dont fully understand the instructions can someone help,

Im not exactly highly familiar with command propt and its that bit im stuck just done have a clue.

help please. :]

Do you have Windows? Mac? Linux? Which version? Need to know before we can help.

Guest thedannydavies

Hi!

Just wanted to a huge thanks to you chaps for putting this together. After a couple of false starts (a PPC Mac and a Linux box I don't have admin rights to) I got this up and running in about 5 mins on an XP box. Massively impressed with just how much faster my Vega is now!

Guest moghm

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldnt find the answer. I am currently running the Honeycomb alpha rom to see what it looked like. Obviously, development is ongoing and I would like to flash back to the R8 rom. What is the best way to do this if I want to do it as a clean install ?

many thanks.

Guest mattjones

hi all , in desperate need of help , have recently purchased vega for my daughter and trying to upgrade rom , but unfortunately everything on your wonderful site is like a completely different language , it may as well chinese , as a good father im trying but i have to accept defeat with this one , can anybody tell me where or who i could go to in the northampton area to hold my hand and do this for me . thank you

Guest simonta
hi all , in desperate need of help , have recently purchased vega for my daughter and trying to upgrade rom , but unfortunately everything on your wonderful site is like a completely different language , it may as well chinese , as a good father im trying but i have to accept defeat with this one , can anybody tell me where or who i could go to in the northampton area to hold my hand and do this for me . thank you

If you don't get a response, search for YAUDIG and follow that guide. Otherwise, I have a long standing offer, taken up by a couple of people so far, to provide remote assistance to do it for you (I'm in Southampton!)

Guest Dave Marchant
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldnt find the answer. I am currently running the Honeycomb alpha rom to see what it looked like. Obviously, development is ongoing and I would like to flash back to the R8 rom. What is the best way to do this if I want to do it as a clean install ?

many thanks.

As spelt out by the guys developing the HC Rom, because it changes partition sizes, you have to do a complete flash back to stock. The easiest way is to follow the install instructions for 1.09 on the www.myadventvega.co.uk site.

Guest moghm
As spelt out by the guys developing the HC Rom, because it changes partition sizes, you have to do a complete flash back to stock. The easiest way is to follow the install instructions for 1.09 on the www.myadventvega.co.uk site.

Many thanks, all done and back on R8

Guest LcfcUCIAN
If you don't get a response, search for YAUDIG and follow that guide. Otherwise, I have a long standing offer, taken up by a couple of people so far, to provide remote assistance to do it for you (I'm in Southampton!)

Hi, i have tried to do this myself now several times but all attempts have been unssuccessful. Is there any chance that you could either give me some tips or some remote assistance. I am having trouble with unzipping the files for some reason. I am running windows xp if that helps to advise on unzipping the files. Thank you for any help you can give!

Guest LcfcUCIAN
Hi, i have tried to do this myself now several times but all attempts have been unssuccessful. Is there any chance that you could either give me some tips or some remote assistance. I am having trouble with unzipping the files for some reason. I am running windows xp if that helps to advise on unzipping the files. Thank you for any help you can give!

Not sure if this helps further. I have installed the usb drivers snd all updates from the my advent vega website. I havent tried to flash yet because i cant seem to unzip files correctly. I cant find the file that is specified in the guide on here.

Guest simonta
Not sure if this helps further. I have installed the usb drivers snd all updates from the my advent vega website. I havent tried to flash yet because i cant seem to unzip files correctly. I cant find the file that is specified in the guide on here.

Install 7Zip on your PC. It's free. Nice thing is it lets you right click a ZIP file and unzip from the menu.

Which file can't you find?

Guest LcfcUCIAN
Install 7Zip on your PC. It's free. Nice thing is it lets you right click a ZIP file and unzip from the menu.

Which file can't you find?

I will give this a go tomorrow and report back on how it goes. I am abit unnsure if ive done everything right that i need to do before installing. Im gonna read through the guides tomorrow and follow it all step by step. I am going to restore factory settings and start from scratch. Will post what happens.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Guest simonta
I will give this a go tomorrow and report back on how it goes. I am abit unnsure if ive done everything right that i need to do before installing. Im gonna read through the guides tomorrow and follow it all step by step. I am going to restore factory settings and start from scratch. Will post what happens.

Thanks for all your help guys.

One stumbling block is that the drivers downloaded with MCR are zipped up. When you unzip MCR, you will see a folder (doing this from memory) called USB Driver within which is a ZIP file, something like "tegrausbmodacao.zip". You also need to unzip this to get to the drivers. If you struggle with drivers, search for AUDI.

Guest LcfcUCIAN

I am really struggling with this. I am downloading the updates from the vega site straight on to my vega, should i do it via my laptop? I think i am getting cllloser though! A bit busy over the weekend but will definately crack it next week! Its getting to me now lol!

Guest Nemes1s
I am really struggling with this. I am downloading the updates from the vega site straight on to my vega, should i do it via my laptop? I think i am getting cllloser though! A bit busy over the weekend but will definately crack it next week! Its getting to me now lol!

It would be better to do via the laptop. Downloads to the vega are erratic at the best of times.

Guest LcfcUCIAN
It would be better to do via the laptop. Downloads to the vega are erratic at the best of times.

Ok, thanks thought that might be an issue. Im gonna restore to factoryy again and do it all via the laptop.

Guest immhayoung

Advent Vega Capacitive screen with 1024 × 600 and supports two-finger multi-touch. Has a 512 MB internal flash storage and can be expanded with a microSD card. It also has a USB port. The advent of Vega comes with 4 GB micro SD card as a template this tablet comes with Android 2.2 and upgradeable to Android 2.3 in the near future.

Guest timhow

Firstly apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, but I just cannot get my Advent Vega upgraded.

I'm following the pdf guide for Windows (Vista) from this thread and I'm getting the following error

I'm following the process of putting the vega in the correct mode for a complete ROM rewrite using the new version from the "myadventvega" site - and I've attempted to install the new drivers (from the myadventvega" site) - but after installing these drivers, I get the following message once the driver has completely installed;

"The following hardware was installed:

Android ADB Interface

The software for this device is now installed, but may not work correctly.

This device cannot start (code 10)" - and I get the yellow triangle with eclaimation mark alongsode the Android ADB Interface in Device Manager.

I thought perhaps the Vega was not in Recovery mode, but I have tried the sequence a few times and believe I have done this correctly.

When I ignore this error and procced with the install of the the new ROM from the Adventvega site - using the cmd window, the port opens, provides minimal text in that screen, but just hangs .....

I may have missed a few points here - all help appreciated and if this needs to be in a new thread, please move this.

I'm onoly really trying to add Android Market - but this is driving me crazy - please help :P

Thanks

Tim

Guest jiti85
No, no root needed and yes, it includes my kernel, added that to my first post (which i'm massaging into shape now, lol!)

P

Hey guys i jus got a vega n i cant seem to do the usb bit im running windows 7 64bit and it wont let me install the drivers

Pls help

Guest simonta
Firstly apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, but I just cannot get my Advent Vega upgraded.

I'm following the pdf guide for Windows (Vista) from this thread and I'm getting the following error

I'm following the process of putting the vega in the correct mode for a complete ROM rewrite using the new version from the "myadventvega" site - and I've attempted to install the new drivers (from the myadventvega" site) - but after installing these drivers, I get the following message once the driver has completely installed;

"The following hardware was installed:

Android ADB Interface

The software for this device is now installed, but may not work correctly.

This device cannot start (code 10)" - and I get the yellow triangle with eclaimation mark alongsode the Android ADB Interface in Device Manager.

I thought perhaps the Vega was not in Recovery mode, but I have tried the sequence a few times and believe I have done this correctly.

When I ignore this error and procced with the install of the the new ROM from the Adventvega site - using the cmd window, the port opens, provides minimal text in that screen, but just hangs .....

I may have missed a few points here - all help appreciated and if this needs to be in a new thread, please move this.

I'm onoly really trying to add Android Market - but thiga is driving me crazy - please help :P

Thanks

Tim

You should not be in recovery mode, your Vega should be booted with USB Debugging turned on (Settings->Applications->Development). Your driver should also be ADB Composite Interface. Search for YAUDIG, AUDI and/or "what to do when your drivers are not correct".

Guest simonta
Hey guys i jus got a vega n i cant seem to do the usb bit im running windows 7 64bit and it wont let me install the drivers

Pls help

Same advice as above for the search,

Guest MikePB

Hello,

I got a Vega a couple of weeks back, which I would never have done without the option of putting this ROM on there to turn it into something useful. I have to say I was not disappointed, so huge thanks to everyone for a really terrific job! I cannot understand why the Vega is sold in such a crippled state, when it's capable of so much. On the upside for those in the know it's an absolute bargain :P

To recent posts on drivers, I too struggled for a long time then found AUDI and it just worked first time, so check it out.

Cheers,

Mike