09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi Guys

Help needed here I.ve read all about R8 and I still unable to get R8 installed, this vega new out of its box,

Im runing XP Pro With Sp3. d/manager It show me under disk drives tecra 2 when I plug in the vega.

Here is what I've done so far. downloaded R8 with the usb driver also download the systemusb driver. restarted Xp and the vega, then gone into vega and enabled usb debuging, the plug usb into Pc and d/m show other devices and then loads driver and puts it under disk and when I look I can see tecra 2 installed. looked at the driver details, its installed a driver from 2001.tried updating driver and fails to find one. One thing I've notice on the vega the EC version says 1.9.0 also kernal version 2.632_9_P10_v1.11_20110627_DIX Android 2.2

Thanx for your help

yogi99

Hi

Trying out flashing a new ROm and having some interesting problems. Its a new Vega tablet, and I am using a Windows7 Prof x64 OS. I can see the Vega on the PC device manager, and have already managed to transfer files using the Advent Transfer Companion. After using the Transfer Companion, I have turned ON USB Debugging and turned the USB connection OFF so it can no longer be seen as a disk. However, when I run windows-install.bat, this hangs after *daemon started successfully*.

What should happening after I see *daemon started successfully*?

How long should I wait before terminating the batch file?

What should happen on the Vega while the script is running?

I have tried using "adb-windows devices" in another shell - but it does not list any devices.

I am wondering if the port is being blocked by Windows Firewall?

Any other ideas?

many thanks

akes

Hi

Trying out flashing a new ROm and having some interesting problems. Its a new Vega tablet, and I am using a Windows7 Prof x64 OS. I can see the Vega on the PC device manager, and have already managed to transfer files using the Advent Transfer Companion. After using the Transfer Companion, I have turned ON USB Debugging and turned the USB connection OFF so it can no longer be seen as a disk. However, when I run windows-install.bat, this hangs after *daemon started successfully*.

What should happening after I see *daemon started successfully*?

How long should I wait before terminating the batch file?

What should happen on the Vega while the script is running?

I have tried using "adb-windows devices" in another shell - but it does not list any devices.

I am wondering if the port is being blocked by Windows Firewall?

Any other ideas?

many thanks

akes

Fixed. The problem was a clash of drivers. I used the AUDI utility (see http://android.modaco.com/topic/337380-beta-audi-automated-usb-driver-installer/ ) to correct the driver problem, then did the install-windows.bat file to complete the update.

I had previously set the adb-windows.exe program on my machine to Run as Administrator - and the security settings kept popping up to get confirmation each time adb-windows was called in the script. Not a problem, just kept clicking Yes.

To answer my own questions, the you should see activity on the PC screen within a few seconds of running install-windows.bat (and seeing *daemon started successfully*), the Vega itself shuts off the screen (mainly because of the power-saving screen timeout), and after the script runs, the Vega reboots.

I had installed one app - which I used the Settings->Applications to move to the SD card.

Once the installation had finished, and the Vega rebooted, all my settings were retained (so no need to set up wifi, etc again).

thanks

akes

Edited by akes

Hi Guys

Help needed here I.ve read all about R8 and I still unable to get R8 installed, this vega new out of its box,

Im runing XP Pro With Sp3. d/manager It show me under disk drives tecra 2 when I plug in the vega.

Here is what I've done so far. downloaded R8 with the usb driver also download the systemusb driver. restarted Xp and the vega, then gone into vega and enabled usb debuging, the plug usb into Pc and d/m show other devices and then loads driver and puts it under disk and when I look I can see tecra 2 installed. looked at the driver details, its installed a driver from 2001.tried updating driver and fails to find one. One thing I've notice on the vega the EC version says 1.9.0 also kernal version 2.632_9_P10_v1.11_20110627_DIX Android 2.2

Thanx for your help

yogi99

Hi yogi99

Search on this forum for AUDI - this is a utility that fixes driver problems (or go here ). That may help you get the correct drivers in place at the right version level - and removes the old or incorrect drivers.

akes

Guest vinsterb

There may be a short wait while the load balancing software determines the best kitchen to serve your ROM. The kitchen should appear below within 20 seconds.

Hi there

I am trying to do the custom rom with the online bake, I have paid my £9.99, but still no option. Advice please!!!

Hi there

I am trying to do the custom rom with the online bake, I have paid my £9.99, but still no option. Advice please!!!

What happens when you click "Click to bake"? The big picture at the bottom?

Please also understand that the £9.99 is not for the ROM. It's simply to go "ad free" on the forum.

There are better ROMs available in the forum. Cyanogen 7 and Corvus 5 are both great. Vegacomb if want Honeycomb and don't mind some bugs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest elkay62

Hi folks,

My wife is insisting that I return her Vega to the Modaco rom, she's not happy with the Vegacomb...

Question is, does the modded stock update that changed the system partition size as part of the Vegacomb process cause any problems, or is it simply a matter of flashing the modaco rom using CWM?

TIA

elkay

Guest elkay62

Hi folks,

My wife is insisting that I return her Vega to the Modaco rom, she's not happy with the Vegacomb...

Question is, does the modded stock update that changed the system partition size as part of the Vegacomb process cause any problems, or is it simply a matter of flashing the modaco rom using CWM?

TIA

elkay

Ok, figured out that the bit that changed the partion size was the modded stock that had to be flashed before vegacomb, so re-flashed it and applied the modaco rom. No probs, she's a happy bunny :-)

Elkay

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nobbyogden

Afternoon everyone, I'm a relative beginner so just tell me straight if I'm in the wrong place.

I've recently purchased the vega tablet and am a bit wary of all the technical jargon you pros are talking.

My quandry is I'm running Android 2.2 and I've managed to put on the Android Market App onto the sd card and its running fine. Is it worth me upgrading to 3.2 with my limited knowledge and danger of bricking the thing or is the Market App the gateway to paradise that a dunce like me can live with.

What other benefits does the Vegacomb or other mod bring, in layman's terms if you could please.

Again, apologies if I'm wasting time but a lot of the threads run into jargon that's making my head spin.

Thankyou in advance.

Afternoon everyone, I'm a relative beginner so just tell me straight if I'm in the wrong place.

I've recently purchased the vega tablet and am a bit wary of all the technical jargon you pros are talking.

My quandry is I'm running Android 2.2 and I've managed to put on the Android Market App onto the sd card and its running fine. Is it worth me upgrading to 3.2 with my limited knowledge and danger of bricking the thing or is the Market App the gateway to paradise that a dunce like me can live with.

What other benefits does the Vegacomb or other mod bring, in layman's terms if you could please.

Again, apologies if I'm wasting time but a lot of the threads run into jargon that's making my head spin.

Thankyou in advance.

Hello Nobby

The 3.2 update does feel faster and has some nice touches BUT it is a bit buggy so you are better using your system the way it is until a final update is made. Having the market working is the main thing and it is no slouch as it is.

Guest nobbyogden

Hello Nobby

The 3.2 update does feel faster and has some nice touches BUT it is a bit buggy so you are better using your system the way it is until a final update is made. Having the market working is the main thing and it is no slouch as it is.

That's very much appreciated Aff, thankyou.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Paffman

Hi Guys,

Very new to the Verga and am reasonably good with tech. Paid my dues for all your hard work B) . Just need to know how to get the "Click to bake"? The big picture at the bottom to appear? All I get is something about premium users?

OK as if by magic it appeared, so have baked and saved to the Vega SD card - now stuck using the instructions below. How do I restart the device in recovery mode?? Then what about perform a nandroid backup from the menu, I assume after the restart from recovery I will see that in a menu?

Sorry for the newbie questions - I did do a search honest guv :unsure:

To install this ROM using ClockworkMod Recovery:

• Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your SD card
  • Restart your device in recovery mode
  • PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP FROM THE MENU
  • Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to your memory card

Cheers,

Steve.

Edited by Paffman

Guest simonta

Hi Guys,

Very new to the Verga and am reasonably good with tech. Paid my dues for all your hard work B) . Just need to know how to get the "Click to bake"? The big picture at the bottom to appear? All I get is something about premium users?

OK as if by magic it appeared, so have baked and saved to the Vega SD card - now stuck using the instructions below. How do I restart the device in recovery mode?? Then what about perform a nandroid backup from the menu, I assume after the restart from recovery I will see that in a menu?

Sorry for the newbie questions - I did do a search honest guv :unsure:

To install this ROM using ClockworkMod Recovery:

• Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your SD card
  • Restart your device in recovery mode
  • PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP FROM THE MENU
  • Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to your memory card

Cheers,

Steve.

Search for "clockworkmod easy installer". Nandroid backup simply means a complete backup of the ROM NAND (the flash memory where it's stored). In clockworkmod on the main menu - Backup/Restore.

Edited by simonta

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nick1964

I have not used my Vega for a long time.

I see there are new roms from advent vega.

But I assume,that when I install them, the modaco rom is gone.

Is it handy to install first the latest rom from advent and then re-install with the modaco rom, or is everything reverted bij de modaco-rom ?

I have the R8 on the system all the time.

I have the clockworkmod and things like that and nand backup, so Am I still up to date ?

Edited by Nick1964

• 2 weeks later...
Guest allyabe

Can anyone help me i have downloaded the file and extracted the files connected my vega to laptop and started windows installer but all i get is dos box saying waiting for device

Guest ianstacey77

Hello

First off, thank you for the effort you've put into this ROM and the continued support on here - to all of you!

OK, I am running Vista and trying to upgrade using the install-windows.bat from the command line. It returns the following error:

'adb-windows.exe' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I have loaded the usbdrivers from the extracted files. Even tried to uninstall and reinstall - but still getting this error. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hello

First off, thank you for the effort you've put into this ROM and the continued support on here - to all of you!

OK, I am running Vista and trying to upgrade using the install-windows.bat from the command line. It returns the following error:

'adb-windows.exe' is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I have loaded the usbdrivers from the extracted files. Even tried to uninstall and reinstall - but still getting this error. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

"adb-windows.exe" should be in the same folder as "install-windows.bat".

If it isn't, I've attached a zip of it anyway.

adb-windows.zip

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jordies

I dont get a command prompt when plugging in the USB! Im running windows 7, I have done a "erase all content" and have debugging mode on! Yet i get nothing :( HELP!!!

Edited by jordies

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bert1967

hi used USB drivers provided and tried update on windows xp my current kernel version 1.10 it just seems to hand on

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

just stays there any ideas ??

please help

Guest Bert1967

hi used USB drivers provided and tried update on windows xp my current kernel version 1.10 it just seems to hand on

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

* daemon started successfully *

just stays there any ideas ??

please help

• 2 weeks later...
Guest feuxfollets

my touchscreen stops working every day in the afternoon. I have to plug a mouse in and go to screen calibration to fix it.

well I left usb peripheral on by accident, and I can't do that anymore. does anyone else get this issue with r8? how can I fix it?