04/Feb Fr1 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest skill3d

I just tried this on an Euro Tab and it seems something went wrong.

My steps were:

- rooting with SuperOneClick

- install ROMManager

- from ROMManager, install CWM (I chose "Galaxy Tab T-Mobile" which installs version 2.5.1.8)

- backup current ROM (which rebooted into CWM and did the backup)

- bake a custom ROM (I added an own app and changed default wallpaper)

- copy the ROM to the internal sdcard

- in ROMManager chose "install ROM from SD-card". This rebooted again into CWM which started installing.

At this point, everything looked good according to the debug output. I went away from the tab for some minutes to do something else (which maybe wasn't a good idea) and when I returned, it was switched off (at least the screen was black). Power was connected, so that was not the problem. I waited for about 10 minutes, then I pressed the power button. That gave me the boot logo, followed by some seconds of screen flickering (like analog TV w/o signal) and that was it. I tried to power off (with power button > 5s) and on again, but nothing changed.

I've already spent several hours on reading here and in other forums about how to do this. Howere there's still some confusion left. For example I wonder why the instruction at http://droid-den.com/phone-guides/phone-gu...alaxy-tab-guide instructs to first install a kernel via Odin, while according to Paul's instructions in the initial post it can be done the simple way I did it.

Did Paul leave some things out bcs they should be obvious for somebody doing this? Or is the problem that I chose the wrong CWM for my Tab? Which one should I choose? Btw. I already tried before on another Tab with CWM 3.0.0 (by selecting "Galaxy Tab Verizon"), but on this Tab I couldn't even start the ROM installation for unknown reason. However that other Tab is a pre-production sample, so that could be the reason.

Btw. I first tried with the ROM made by Paul, not my self-baked one.

Any idea what may have gone wrong for me? How can I proceed now?

PS: In case that matters: I didn't have an external SD-card installed during this process bcs the internal one had enough empty space.

Edited by skill3d

Guest wfucker
is your tab locked?

(bootloader, kernel etc?)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=888071

download the app, and check

I installed this apk, and it write now:

device (reported by firmware): GT-P100 EU/internat/unbrand

bootloaders - Signed! , signed:PBL,SBL_backup, Kernel

not signed: SBL

assessment: can only signed firmwares

base version: p1000xxjma

kernel: 2.6.32.9 root@sei-28#1

build number: froyo.xxjme

And this bootloader patch is ok? Should I patch it? After this so much problem, I'm fearing the solution wil be a Tab-Brick tongue.gif

Does it tell for you something(s)? :S

thx!

Edited by wfucker

Guest wfucker
is your tab locked?

(bootloader, kernel etc?)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=888071

download the app, and check

I installed this apk, and it write now:

device (reported by firmware): GT-P100 EU/internat/unbrand

bootloaders - Signed! , signed:PBL,SBL_backup, Kernel

not signed: SBL

assessment: can only signed firmwares

base version: p1000xxjma

kernel: 2.6.32.9 root@sei-28#1

build number: froyo.xxjme

And this bootloader patch is ok? Should I patch it? After this so much problem, I'm fearing the solution wil be a Tab-Brick tongue.gif

thx!

Edited by wfucker

thx!

first of all, I'm glad that your Tab is alive again. everything what you have to do is to read what is here . I had exactly the same situation like you, and after installing the patch and apply, everything comes back to normal - means was possible to flash the kernel via Odin, and to install the custom rom from clockwork mod recovery. follow the steps and it will work. carefully which patch you going to download...... hope it helps!

Guest wfucker
first of all, I'm glad that your Tab is alive again. everything what you have to do is to read what is here . I had exactly the same situation like you, and after installing the patch and apply, everything comes back to normal - means was possible to flash the kernel via Odin, and to install the custom rom from clockwork mod recovery. follow the steps and it will work. carefully which patch you going to download...... hope it helps!

At the Evening, at home I will try it! Thanks the helps, I hope the best :huh:

Guest wfucker
At the Evening, at home I will try it! Thanks the helps, I hope the best :(

I've tried it, the bootloader patch is worked, the kernel update via Odin workin, but when I'm in clockwork recovery mode, than noone options wokin :( I can't made nothing. And the E: drive still not find.

What is the problem, I cant understand, allways I have same problem, everything, nothing can working like the insturction :)((

Guest skill3d

Now I tried again with a final tab and following the instructions from

http://droid-den.com/phone-guides/phone-gu...alaxy-tab-guide.

This time I succeeded.

Now I need to find out how to get the "sample" tab alive again.

Currently I can get only to download mode. I flashed p1000-mck-r3-ext4-cwm.tar with Odin, but still no luck. After the boot logo, some seconds of screen flicker and then black screen.

I would like to flash the original ROM. But where can I find it? Is Odin the only way to do anything at this point?

I have a Nandroid backup of the working ROM. But since I can not get into recovery mode, I have no clue if that helps.

Thankful for any advice!

Guest Limaspt

Hello all !

I would like to make one or two or maybe alot of questions if possible :( , i've read this thread at least 4 times now, and i still have some doubts/fears about installing this rom to my Tab.

I will try to explain what i understand about the installation of this rom, if im wrong please let me know !!

My tab is rooted and unlocked"edit"

1 - Download form market the "Rom manager" and flash the "ClockworkMod Recovery" (since this is Euro Tab (Portuguese) i should flash it using wich option ?? i cant find Portuguese TMN..... what should i use ?? T- Mobile for example ?!

2 - download MoDaCo Custom for the Samsung Galaxy Tab ( since my tab is still virgin i should use the wipe version right?? ) put it in the exterior micro sd-car (or in tab sd ??) one sd card of 8gb would be enough ??

3 - After i pass this part i should reboot in "recovery mode" (volume up and power on "right?"), clear all cache, make a backup and install from zip... right ???

Here come the part that i reaaalllllyyyy dont understand at all..... i've read in alot of threads something about a kernel and EXT4 (you can laugh... im really noob), in some places they say to install this first and then the rom, other's say that this is in the cocked rom "this one"... omg help my head is starting to hurt...

3 - If i really understand something right after the third step the tab is working and i'm happy... or..... not ?!

Im very sorry for all the noob questions, i've used this incredible forum alot for my phone (Pulse - huawei U8230) and always one way or another understand what to do, but there are a big diference in value for the Galaxy tab..... 5 times more, so 500000 times more worries.... There are some terms that i dont understand so please if someone try to explain it to me be a bit specific :( ..

I will be waiting for a replay from you guys !!

Best regards

Limaspt

(sory for any error in spelling, tryed my best !! )

Edited by Limaspt

Guest ramboky

Is anyone else having problems with Samsung Apps all of a sudden?

I tried to open it yesterday and is kept giving me Error Code 1000. Today I tried again and it prompted for an update but the update always fails with the error "Application not installed".

Guest RunTimeWorld
Hello all !

I would like to make one or two or maybe alot of questions if possible :( , i've read this thread at least 4 times now, and i still have some doubts/fears about installing this rom to my Tab.

I will try to explain what i understand about the installation of this rom, if im wrong please let me know !!

My tab is rooted and unlocked"edit"

1 - Download form market the "Rom manager" and flash the "ClockworkMod Recovery" (since this is Euro Tab (Portuguese) i should flash it using wich option ?? i cant find Portuguese TMN..... what should i use ?? T- Mobile for example ?!

2 - download MoDaCo Custom for the Samsung Galaxy Tab ( since my tab is still virgin i should use the wipe version right?? ) put it in the exterior micro sd-car (or in tab sd ??) one sd card of 8gb would be enough ??

3 - After i pass this part i should reboot in "recovery mode" (volume up and power on "right?"), clear all cache, make a backup and install from zip... right ???

Here come the part that i reaaalllllyyyy dont understand at all..... i've read in alot of threads something about a kernel and EXT4 (you can laugh... im really noob), in some places they say to install this first and then the rom, other's say that this is in the cocked rom "this one"... omg help my head is starting to hurt...

3 - If i really understand something right after the third step the tab is working and i'm happy... or..... not ?!

Im very sorry for all the noob questions, i've used this incredible forum alot for my phone (Pulse - huawei U8230) and always one way or another understand what to do, but there are a big diference in value for the Galaxy tab..... 5 times more, so 500000 times more worries.... There are some terms that i dont understand so please if someone try to explain it to me be a bit specific :( ..

I will be waiting for a replay from you guys !!

Best regards

Limaspt

(sory for any error in spelling, tryed my best !! )

No worries dude, let me guide you:

Get yourself Odin 1.7, then:

check this link: http://files.deodexed.com/ModADroid-Galaxy...Rotohammer/JME/

Turn off your device, turn it on while holding down the volume key, fire up Odin, make sure you see the yellow thing for the connection, then following files are to be loaded:

1. PIT: P1_add_hidden.pit

2. PDA: Roto-JME-FmtInt.tar (make sure you extract the tar file from the downloaded zip)

3. Phone: Addon-JME-Moddem

4. Leave blank

Check all boxes, also the repartition

Hit Start

Once you rebooted, you can buy the Euro Tab Bootstrapper (there is a way to do it manual, but this way you're on the secure side)

Fire up the downloaded app, follow the instructions, it will create EXT4 file format and install CWM

Reboot

Now download Modaco's Galaxy release, drag it to SDCard, reboot into recovery and flash it.

Done!

Guest Limaspt
No worries dude, let me guide you:

Get yourself Odin 1.7, then:

check this link: http://files.deodexed.com/ModADroid-Galaxy...Rotohammer/JME/

Turn off your device, turn it on while holding down the volume key, fire up Odin, make sure you see the yellow thing for the connection, then following files are to be loaded:

1. PIT: P1_add_hidden.pit

2. PDA: Roto-JME-FmtInt.tar (make sure you extract the tar file from the downloaded zip)

3. Phone: Addon-JME-Moddem

4. Leave blank

Check all boxes, also the repartition

Hit Start

Once you rebooted, you can buy the Euro Tab Bootstrapper (there is a way to do it manual, but this way you're on the secure side)

Fire up the downloaded app, follow the instructions, it will create EXT4 file format and install CWM

Reboot

Now download Modaco's Galaxy release, drag it to SDCard, reboot into recovery and flash it.

Done!

Thank you !!!

I've made it but i had some big troubles, i tried to go by the instructions made by Paul, and my tab got stucked in the Samsung Galaxy screen.... it wouldn't boot from recovery, and i started to think that i had gain a new brick...... but after a few reading i got it solved..

I will give a piece of advice here, if you are a noob and its the first time that you flash a room, go with the Odin software, read all about 10 times and then GO ! I have a enormous consideration for Paul work, but the way he said to flash was not the best one for me.... i know it was because of me, not because of is room, if i hadn't have a tiny bit of experience with my huawei i would be stuck with some big issues.

I have a feeling that it had something to do with my original rom, even so i checked if the bootloaders where ok, and they were.... even so got the issue of the samsung galaxy screen...

I used the the instructions of the XDA Overcome rom with odin and it work, my tab still enter in download mode, so i got more confident, and flash the room with the specific instructions.

It change my tab to EXT 4, and everything work very well...

Thanks for everything !!

Limaspt

Edited by Limaspt

Paul, the blue battery indicator at the notification bar is still far off from actual levels on your r1 ROM....

Any chance that you'll fix this soon?

I don't like the idea of always checking the 3rd party widget.

Guest DemonGloom
I don't like the idea of always checking the 3rd party widget.

While waiting for normal battery icons, you can try to install Battery Indicator Pro - it will show battery icon with percents in the left part of status bar.

Guest luthepa1

Well I to noticed the issue with the battery indicator so I took it upon myself to fix it up and it was success. I have been testing and all seems fine so far. There might be one of the battery icons I need to reedit for when you plug in the usb cable to PC (thus not charging batt indicator) at around 70%. Too much variance for me between the cable in batt indicator and normal batt indicator at 70% I think it was.

I have used the icons like that of " taiseer999 " from XDA forums asking for permission. I also rediting the xml for the icons displayed when data cable plugged in but not charging to reflect extra icons I put together so the indicator is not so choppy. Icons are different colors depending on charge level and increment/decrement by 1% at a time (scale = 1 to 100%). Also the percentage is displayed. Below is a link to the replacement framework-res.apk. you need to place this in the system partition (e.g. /System/framework/framework-res.apk). I was trying to make a update.zip to use ClockworkMod but it keeps aborting whatever I make. I am not signing it (tried signing it anyway). If someone can help me make a update.zip would be great. So at this stage I just use "Root Explorer" to copy new framework, then go to /system/framework and delete original, then quickly paste new framework. Dont ask for Root Explorer as I believe its warez software and that would break forum rules I believe. You will prob get other apps force closing. just push ok and continue. Then shutdown your tab (reboot wont work). Then power on and should be good to go!!!

***NOTE***

I strongly recommend before doing anything to backup your phone. I will not take responsibility for any problems. I reboot into ClockworkMod and perform nandroid image backup so I could always revert changes.

framework-res.apk

Edited by luthepa1

Guest kevwright
Is anyone else having problems with Samsung Apps all of a sudden?

I tried to open it yesterday and is kept giving me Error Code 1000. Today I tried again and it prompted for an update but the update always fails with the error "Application not installed".

Yep, no access here either, if I delete updates for it it will say its updated, but then has to update a 2nd time and it fails. Not sure there is much I want in there from memory?

Kev

Guest cjm106
Yep, no access here either, if I delete updates for it it will say its updated, but then has to update a 2nd time and it fails. Not sure there is much I want in there from memory?

Kev

You need to delete the UNAService.apk from the system>app folder for the upgrade to work properly.

Guest lohasc

Hey people i took a day to flash the r1 rom with some help. But how do i know i hv done it right?

Apart all thing look was wipe out from my sgt and i am rooted i can see any diff.

post-211043-1300511142_thumb.png

Guest kevwright
You need to delete the UNAService.apk from the system>app folder for the upgrade to work properly.

Thanks, mine says read only, is there a simple way around that?

Kev

Guest ry2887

I totally experienced the Samsung Apps Update issue, thanks for posting about it.

Quick question:

Where did the IM Application go? Is it included in this kitchen? If not, is there a way to install it manually?

Guest cjm106
Thanks, mine says read only, is there a simple way around that?

Kev

You need to use a filemanager that has root read/write privileges to delete the apk. I use root explorer from the market but theres a fair few alternatives available.

I just dove in and did this whole root thing and flashed this ROM. First time I have done this on any of my previous Android devices... Had a few problems initially, just because I had no real idea what I was doing, but eventually got it up and running and it's quite slick. Noticably faster than stock rom.

I've been reading through this thread numerous times to try and find pitfalls and known probs. Happy to see similar ones to what I have found, at least I know I'm on the right track. And thanks to everyone for discussing solutions.

Cheers.

One thing that I can't seem to work out is Tweetdeck doesn't seem to be auto updating, even though I have configured each column to update at set intervals, just like I had done previously...

Guest shepperd

I also cannot access Samsung update, with the same message. The installed file manager doesn't show the file in question to be deleted but I assume something like Root Explorer will show it? I'm also assuming that Samsung updates will not alter Paul's Rom? Newbie questions! On another matter, I seem to have two Wi-fi indicators and I haven't a clue as to why! They look different but appear to react the same. Maybe one is the phone-network indicator (althought it stays there even without the SIM card)?

I found the answer to the first question: I found something called AndRootFile on the web. It gives root SU privileges. Deleted the file in question and presto! Samsung Apps works. The joke is on me because there's absolutly nothing in there worth mentioning. Well it's the principle of the thing though, isn't it? If you're an idiot like me, DON'T fool around inside the system files with AndRootFile because like any Unix-based system, you can do real damage and finding your way back is extreemly difficult.

I would be sooo pleased if someone found a way to increase the time-out of those pesky virtuel buttons. It's ridiculous how quickly they shut off. Thanks for all the good work and advice.

Edited by shepperd