Application idea

Guest Simon O

Guest 90180360
I'm thinking of a small application which can do the following things:

- Enable / disable HW acc in build.prop

- Change the dalvik-vm value

- Enable / disable stagefright in build.prop along with a toggle for the http fix on and off (fixes green bar in H.264 video)

- wpa_supplicant scan changer

- lcd density change

- Apps2SD partition info (total size, amount free, amount used, partition type eg EXT2/3/4)

- Option to toggle the Froyo Apps2fat to force apps to install to /data, /sd or automatic (default). Would be useful for resized partition users

- Option to change the status bar text colour (similar to 0x90 mod)

Great ideas! All those changes would still need a reboot, right?

Am I right that this app wouldn't change anything Blade-specific and could therefore be written to run on any rooted android phone?

Guest Simon O
Great ideas! All those changes would still need a reboot, right?

Am I right that this app wouldn't change anything Blade-specific and could therefore be written to run on any rooted android phone?

Yep, reboot needed and the app should be fine for any phone.

Guest oh!dougal
OK. I'll start to work on it on Sunday.

Its just a suggestion, but perhaps a good starting point would be a demo 'do very little' app that used a "Setting" of its own (calling Android's settings user interface stuff - android.preference). Then stick code for the proper on/off stuff behind the interface instead of the demo's setting change ...

Here's something I found ... http://www.kaloer.com/android-preferences

Edited by oh!dougal

I'd rather pay 2$ and have a properly maintained app.

I would also donate. Opensource is still important:

- the app will access root files, so it's a security issue if the source isn't open

- if the first editor loses interest or time, it can be further developed by others

In our community, open source is good standard and should be.

Guest isambard
Any progress? :D

actually, i couldn't start last sunday as i only got my blade back today. but i will start the work tonight as i'm a sad loser with no life. :D

Guest IronDoc
actually, i couldn't start last sunday as i only got my blade back today. but i will start the work tonight as i'm a sad loser with no life. :D

And we're very thankful for that fact :D

Guest isambard
Any progress? :D

Quick update. I'm about a third of the way through writing this now. The app can now get root and read and parse the build.prop file. Still to be done:

- deal with missing items in build.prop

- deal with doubled items in build.prop

- write code to re-mount system as rw and back

- finish writing the UI

EDIT: if someone can point me to a suitable icon (free of copyright etc.) that I can use, then this will also save me some time from having to find one or draw my own.

Edited by isambard

Guest handyandy
Cyanogenmod roms have CM Settings. Some other roms have similar setting apps. So why don't we have one too?

I'm thinking of a small application which can do the following things:

- Enable / disable HW acc in build.prop

- Change the dalvik-vm value

- Enable / disable stagefright in build.prop along with a toggle for the http fix on and off (fixes green bar in H.264 video)

- lcd density change

- Apps2SD partition info (total size, amount free, amount used, partition type eg EXT2/3/4)

- Option to toggle the Froyo Apps2fat to force apps to install to /data, /sd or automatic (default). Would be useful for resized partition users

Now I have to be honest and say I have no idea how to code an Android application so sadly I can't produce this. But what do people generally think? All these options can be done without any system patches apart from the status bar mod which will need a modified services.jar

Anything fancy the challenge of making this?

Hey there, first of all, trully appreciated for all your efforts!

I like the idea of having this CM app, it would be even better if we could have the option of swithing on/ off battery info to desplay within the little battery icon at the top bar :D I find it a great help when you don't have to install another 3rd party app. Thx again!

Guest IronDoc

@isambard: Just out of interest, how are you handling it when lines are not in build.prop? Is the default specified anywhere or is it just a matter of which version of android is in use?

Guest isambard
@isambard: Just out of interest, how are you handling it when lines are not in build.prop? Is the default specified anywhere or is it just a matter of which version of android is in use?

not sure yet, but probably will either leave the lines out unless the user chooses to provide a value to be written.

Guest isambard

happy to report the main issues are now resolved.

the app can now set preferences for all the true/false settings. i'm now doing the ones with numerical choices.

Guest isambard

you'll have to let me know which of these options are build.prop related or if not, where they are set. thanks.

you'll have to let me know which of these options are build.prop related or if not, where they are set. thanks.

The wifi scan interval is...

wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=3

Where 3 is a number in seconds, it controls how often the phone scans for new access points & wifi reconnection time. I think 3 is the (sensible) minimum & 180 is the max, it can also be removed to use the default value (who knows what that is?).

The a2sd things are going to be rom dependent I think. You could get the partition sizes from 'df' or something, changing them is going to be harder.

The black status bar thing looks too hard to do, to me.

A couple of other feature suggestions ...

Disable boot animation by setting this option in build.prop ...

debug.sf.nobootanimation=1

Re-enable it by removing the line or setting to 0.

Also, a partition editor would be fantastic, need to hexedit some values in /sdcard/image/appsboot.mbn & /sdcard/image/partition_zte.mbn also need to check the integrity of partition.mbn & appsboothd.mbn warn if there are any other .mbn files present & check for the existence of boot.img, system.img & userdata.img then reboot into tpt mode, if possible. That might need to be a whole new app. If it could download all the needed files & perform a nandroid backup first, putting the backup files in the /image directory, and verify the md5sum of everything, it'd be even better.

Edited by wbaw

Guest isambard
The wifi scan interval is...

wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=3

Where 3 is a number in seconds, it controls how often the phone scans for new access points & wifi reconnection time. I think 3 is the (sensible) minimum & 180 is the max, it can also be removed to use the default value (who knows what that is?).

The a2sd things are going to be rom dependent I think. You could get the partition sizes from 'df' or something, changing them is going to be harder.

The black status bar thing looks too hard to do, to me.

A couple of other feature suggestions ...

Disable boot animation by setting this option in build.prop ...

debug.sf.nobootanimation=1

Re-enable it by removing the line or setting to 0.

Also, a partition editor would be fantastic, need to hexedit some values in /sdcard/image/appsboot.mbn & /sdcard/image/partition_zte.mbn also need to check the integrity of partition.mbn & appsboothd.mbn warn if there are any other .mbn files present & check for the existence of boot.img, system.img & userdata.img then reboot into tpt mode, if possible. That might need to be a whole new app. If it could download all the needed files & perform a nandroid backup first, putting the backup files in the /image directory, and verify the md5sum of everything, it'd be even better.

thanks for the suggestions. i'll add the bootanimation and wifi ones.

re: the partition editor. this is something i was thinking of doing as a separate app, but since i have no reliably working blade, i don't have much motivation to write this right now.

Another thing, you should be able to set the build.prop options without rebooting, if your app has root, by using a setprop command, you might still need to edit the file too

Guest isambard
Another thing, you should be able to set the build.prop options without rebooting, if your app has root, by using a setprop command, you might still need to edit the file too

hi. obviously editing build.prop will give persistent changes, but applying the options via setprop could be interesting - though it isn't clear whether settings would take effect without a reboot.