Who determined stagefright was broken?

Guest sawta

Guest Simon O
Ill ask Funkimunk what he did when I see him in the computer lab next week (possibly tomorrow if im in early enough) but I must warn he really doesn't like this place (something to do with "disingenuous donation scams" and "instantly getting your work published to some SEO savvy tw*ts 3rd party page") I think he doesn't even like putting stuff on XDA ('to get ripped off by credit grabbing......').

OK in that case where does Funkimunk publish his rom?

OK in that case where does Funkimunk publish his rom?

He gave it to me in person after seeing my phone in the lab (hes helped me with semantic web lab classes in the past, a class tutor guy).

Ill ask him can I post it here, this is why I wanted you guys to look over your roms... ill bet he tells me to f off.

Edited by sawta

Guest voradorpt
He gave it to me in person after seeing my phone in the lab (hes helped me with semantic web lab classes in the past, a class tutor guy).

Ill ask him can I post it here, this is why I wanted you guys to look over your roms... ill bet he tells me to f off.

Conveniently.

Also, I'm still waiting for you to prove it works.

Also, I'm still waiting for you to prove it works.

EH what?

I shouldnt have to prove that its working as im NOT THE EXCEPTION TO THE ANDROID 2.2 WORLD!

Prove that stagefright is broken , prove that its not a misconfiguration in these ROMs that the rest of the world does not incorporate in their 2.2 roms (you cant because it is a misconfiguration).

I am so sick of having to explain to brain dead people that hacky misconfigured ROM mod projects are the issue notSTAGEFRIGHT!

I repeat this h264 bug was never an issue and was not fixed in Android 2.2.1+ merely those unofficial 2.2.1 roms that noticed a fix configured their ROM correctly , Google even state something along these lines in their mailing list.

I was accused of trolling for asking for proof that stagefright was broken and not that the ROMS are misconfigured, clearly the trolls in this thread are going to deflect any chance of finding out this information ("disable it because I don't know how to fix it" syndrome).

Damn I give up, use the outdated media framework with limited support and reduced flexibility if you want i'm away to watch HQ Youtube over wifi and then seamlessly play some gameloft games before I go to sleep.

Edited by sawta

Guest IronDoc

Surely this is just a (pointless) argument about semantics. It means exactly the same thing to say 'stagefright does not work correctly with our ROMs' as it does to say 'the ROMs do not work correctly with stagefright'.

Guest Rotmann
Erm actually no stagefright working for h264 in a correctly configured ROM is not opinion, its fact just as 1+ 1 = 2 is fact. the popular opinion here appears to be the equivalent of 1 + 1 = monkey.

Stagefright having occasional issues with AAC and eACC quality from streamed media is also fact, but non relevant to any of the discussion here.

I dont believe it speeds up h264 decoding ,the fact is that stagefright makes it more flexible for a given HW configuration (check the google docs: fact).

You try to help people who are shooting themselves in the foot to point the gun away and they point it at you instead. No wonder funkimunk doesnt want his ROM on this place.

Dude, your problem is the harsh attitude, are you frustrated or something? Chill down. You just insulted a whole community. If you don't want to be a flaming troll stop throwing with mud all over and bring something constructive. The discussion is good but acting crazy is not even funny. Btw. I have stagefright enabled for the gameloft games, it sure is something with it.

Surely this is just a (pointless) argument about semantics. It means exactly the same thing to say 'stagefright does not work correctly with our ROMs' as it does to say 'the ROMs do not work correctly with stagefright'.

Its not pointless as both the CM6 guys (whoever logged the issue from CM6 that Google laughed off the issue tracker) and Funkimunk eventually worked out ways to get this new 2.2 feature working correctly in their respective ROMS, if its just some fine tuning of the build prop or another ASCII conf file to get it working correctly then it may be worth repairing.

Dude, your problem is the harsh attitude, are you frustrated or something? Chill down. You just insulted a whole community. If you don't want to be a flaming troll stop throwing with mud all over and bring something constructive. The discussion is good but acting crazy is not even funny. Btw. I have stagefright enabled for the gameloft games, it sure is something with it.

If you look over this thread you will see my attitude getting gradually getting more inflamed by trolls, I am reacting to their attitude.

Guest Rotmann
I am so sick of having to explain to brain dead people that hacky misconfigured ROM mod projects are the issue notSTAGEFRIGHT!

I repeat this h264 bug was never an issue and was not fixed in Android 2.2.1+ merely those unofficial 2.2.1 roms that noticed a fix configured their ROM correctly , Google even state something along these lines in their mailing list.

Erm actually no stagefright working for h264 in a correctly configured ROM is not opinion, its fact just as 1+ 1 = 2 is fact. the popular opinion here appears to be the equivalent of 1 + 1 = monkey.

You try to help people who are shooting themselves in the foot to point the gun away and they point it at you instead. No wonder funkimunk doesnt want his ROM on this place.

Dude, your problem is the harsh attitude, are you frustrated or something? Chill down. You just insulted a whole community. If you don't want to be a flaming troll stop throwing with mud all over and bring something constructive. What are YOUR contributions to this community, as opposed to the brain dead hacky developers on this forum? Everyone behind a keyboard can pretend to have a gigantic c*ck when in fact they have a microscopic one. Show your gigantic contributions instead of trolling in a tiny microscopic manner. The discussion is good but acting crazy is not even funny. Btw. I have stagefright enabled for the gameloft games.

Guest IronDoc
Its not pointless as both the CM6 guys (whoever logged the issue from CM6 that Google laughed off the issue tracker) and Funkimunk eventually worked out ways to get this new 2.2 feature working correctly in their respective ROMS, if its just some fine tuning of the build prop or another ASCII conf file to get it working correctly then it may be worth repairing.

If you've got a fix then great. But if we need to build our own lib in order for it to work, then it's essentially broken. What people meant is that it was broken both in our stock ROMs (which people have then modified) and in an AOSP build for our hardware.

It's not broken in the sense that GPS was broken in some beta ROMs. Its more similar to how flash is broken (though google fixed it later whereas adobe hasn't decided to release flash for our CPU.

Correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

Show your gigantic contributions instead of trolling in a tiny microscopic manner. The discussion is good but acting crazy is not even funny. Btw. I have stagefright enabled for the gameloft games.

I have no giant contributions (I help any way I can e.g setting up the MoDaCo Kernel contrubition github and I believe this thread ultimately will help if people will drop their assumptions), but honestly repacking another persons ROM package as your own isn't a giant contribution either.

All I have been saying all along is that a reconfiguration by knowledgeable people is all thats needed to create a better experience for us all, this is probably a quick fix.

Edited by sawta

Guest voradorpt

I shouldnt have to prove that its working as im NOT THE EXCEPTION TO THE ANDROID 2.2 WORLD!

You certainly are the exception in the ZTE Blade world, which you'll find is the sub-forum you're in.

I'm not asking for much I think. Clearly it would be simple for you to show people you got it working. Simpler than a bunch of posts of "prove it" and unverifiable claims that you have it "working". Most people here have only claimed that it was broken on the Blade. It's verifiable. I can verify it.

So, if you or your friend really have a fix, in the spirit of Android you should publish it here or somewhere public. No need to reinvent the wheel after all.

You verify your claims, and the biggest ZTE Blade community gets to take advantage of stagefright. Everybody wins, no?

What are you waiting for?

Edited by voradorpt

Guest PeteBest

Becoming a bit harder to defend you now sawta. Remember the no one wants to post a rom that isn't 100%, just remember that when you are fighting the general tide of opinion you have to work a bit hard. Just makes it even more satisfying when/if you're right :P

I'm not familiar with this Funkimunk, but I've always found this site a lot more friendly than XDA. Sure, there might be disagreements here, but as long as everyone stays respectful I can't see the problem in a spirited debate

Guest Simon O

This Funkimunk isn't eve on XDA. It's a ROM he made himself and hasn't released it anyway, so sawta says.

The whole thread could have been a lot better if he just posted that the ROMs claim stagefright is broken. I know a way to fix it properly, here it is. Done. The whole prove-it attitude is childish.

Guest rayraven

I guess the OP can also tell us why most android 2.2 [not 2.2.1 or 2.2.2] based phones come with stagefright turned off out-of-the-box.

Examples? the Droid X and the Optimus One etc.

It's because stagefright is broken, and if you think it isn't, you should talk to Motorola or LG, cos they definitely use a dev like you!

Guest Phoenix Silver
whats the best way to check if stagefright is enabled or disable? I would like to check my galaxy tab (2.2 out of the box)

with adb it's fast just type

adb shell cat /system/build.prop | grep stage

give :

media.stagefright.enable-player=false

media.stagefright.enable-meta=false

media.stagefright.enable-scan=false

media.stagefright.enable-http=false

Guest charliemike
with adb it's fast just type

adb shell cat /system/build.prop | grep stage

give :

media.stagefright.enable-player=false

media.stagefright.enable-meta=false

media.stagefright.enable-scan=false

media.stagefright.enable-http=false

media.stagefright.enable-player=true

media.stagefright.enable-meta=true

media.stagefright.enable-scan=true

media.stagefright.enable-http=true

on my Samsung Galaxy Tab with 2.2 out of the Box

Guest charliemike
^Doesnt the tab come with 2.2.1? If not, looks like Samsung backported the fixes from 2.2.1, people have done so for the droid family.

It says 2.2 in Phone-Info

Guest targetbsp

That might just be Samsungs versioning. My friends Samsung galaxy phone report 2.2 even though he says he's done the 2.2.1 update on it. I can't say for sure that his 2.2.1 update was successful mind you. :P

Guest charliemike
That might just be Samsungs versioning. My friends Samsung galaxy phone report 2.2 even though he says he's done the 2.2.1 update on it. I can't say for sure that his 2.2.1 update was successful mind you. :P

samfirmware.com says that there is no 2.2.1 for the tab, only 2.2. there is 2.2.1 for ofther samsung devices like the galaxy s