'New' ZTE devices

Guest aleckxander

Guest Azurren
256 MB RAM is unfortunately a dealbreaker, but the 720P recording and twin camera's sounded good. 2.1 can be fixed, of course :D

256mb isn't necessarily the end of the world.. It just depends on how it is used.

The Spica has 256mb ram, yet can still multi task 4-5 apps

But on the other end of the scale the Pulse.. Well.. We kinda suspected that it actually had around this number but just thew half of it into the gutter. Struggled to run one app (Force closing the launcher) tbh :D

The specs look good and if that's a metal construction (And not just a lame plastic imitation attempt) then.. It's an alternative right?

Guest jurrasstoil
Meanwhile at HTC...

Wildfire S

600 MHz, 3.2-inch touch screen with 320 x 480 resolution, how do they think they can still get away with this?!

The specs aren't really much of a dealbreaker tbh - the price OTOH is the biggest joke ever... 280€/$380/£230.

Guest deksman2

The ZTE Skate really looks great.

I was eying the Orange San Francisco for possible purchase, but to be frank, with a lot of people complaining of the touch-screen failures, not to mention some phones stopping to work outright, I was opting between Xperia X8 and Europa I5500.

One has to make a compromise.

I'd prefer to take the SF for example, and I can probably deal with the touch-screen issues by re-soldering the connections as recommended in another thread, but ... the Skate seems like a new generation that will replace the Blade.

If ZTE managed to keep an eye on the touch-screen issue and solve it with the Skate (not to mention the overall reliability), then I think I will opt to wait for it because it has much better specs on top of everything else (but May is still 3 months away).

Guest Azurren

phonedog (YouTube) have done a review/firstlook/hands on the skate.

Ill post a link when I get on a PC.. Haven't even watched it myself

Feel free to post the link :D

Guest Sebastian404

I was at MWE and I spoke with some guys from ZTE...

The reason the Blade is on display again is that it is going to be launched in the US..

and before people start getting worked up for the next Perfect Rom Wednesday..

the hardware is not going to be the same, its going to be similar to the V880/003Z (if not the same) so there is unlikely to be any improvement over the 2.2 roms we already have.

the ZTE Skate is VERY nice tho, I tried to get a engineering sample.. no such luck :D

Guest Pelemane
phonedog (YouTube) have done a review/firstlook/hands on the skate.

Ill post a link when I get on a PC.. Haven't even watched it myself

Feel free to post the link :D

here is that vid:

Skate looks pretty laggy :D

Guest 90180360
the ZTE Skate is VERY nice tho, I tried to get a engineering sample.. no such luck :D

Did you at least dump the ROM? :D

How's the camera, what's the battery capacity?

Guest clear sky
Skate looks pretty laggy :D

My Orange San Fransisco was laggy as well when I bought it but it's not anymore :D But that is kind of usual I guess, companies releasing products with laggy software & firmware and then developers and enthusiasts fixing the problems and making the devices worth their money. The Galaxy S is a good example of this and so is the ZTE Blade and the Advent Vega so yeah, unless the developers get their hands on this I wouldn't make any comments about it being laggy or not, let's just wait and see

Edited by clear sky

Guest Azurren

I have never own an android device that doesn't lag when using the stock launcher :D

Launcher pro should sort out most of the lag.

If this device has flash support and can play videos with decent framerate I'll snap it up in an instant :D

Guest deksman2
My Orange San Fransisco was laggy as well when I bought it but it's not anymore :D But that is kind of usual I guess, companies releasing products with laggy software & firmware and then developers and enthusiasts fixing the problems and making the devices worth their money. The Galaxy S is a good example of this and so is the ZTE Blade and the Advent Vega so yeah, unless the developers get their hands on this I wouldn't make any comments about it being laggy or not, let's just wait and see

Agreed on the point that manufacturers pre-install bloatware on the products they brand as their own which ultimately results in slower performance.

This is most evident on new laptops (and was one of the problems with Vista for example when it first came out - still I won't deny the fact that Vista left things to be desired even after being first launched on a clean install).

Removing the bloat will likely speed up any phone or computer.

Also running the least amount of applications at any given time is recommended.

For example, why would you want to run an app in the background you are not actively using at all?

Widgets are one thing (though keeping them down to a minimum would be recommended because they ARE intense on the limited resources of smartphones).

Returning to the ZTE Skate issue...

One would hope that ZTE would improve upon the build quality and hardware if this is supposed to be a replacement for the Blade.

So, not only that it will feature an improved cpu and hopefully gpu (well, the specs are pretty much evidence of superior hardware), other hardware issues that some of the people seem to have experienced with the Blade will hopefully not be present on the Skate (such as the touch-screen or the phone itself not going dead on it's own).

It DOES seem like a very nice smartphone though due to it's capabilities (a nice upgrade)... however, one has to wonder why didn't ZTE release a version with a 1Ghz cpu for example in order to be slightly more competitive?

They can still compete at the market with same and lower prices.

Then again, it's entirely possible they had a surplus of older chips with which they have to work with atm.

Either way, I just hope their build quality on existing hardware is improved so we don't get hardware problems.

Guest oh!dougal

Returning to the ZTE Skate issue...

... however, one has to wonder why didn't ZTE release a version with a 1Ghz cpu for example in order to be slightly more competitive?

They can still compete at the market with same and lower prices.

Then again, it's entirely possible they had a surplus of older chips with which they have to work with atm.

ZTE have a heap of software specifically developed for this chipset (as used in the SF/Blade).

They are continually building on it, supporting extra features like different screens and cameras with flashleds.

Absolutely standard tech marketing to 'leverage' their existing development investment as far as they possibly can.

The Light/Z9 tablet is also built on the same chipset the Blade employs.

But the Light2 (with a completely different processor setup) would seem to be the fore-runner of a new 'family' of devices.

Again the standard marketing wisdom would be to start with a high-spec, high margin, lower volume product. Get that sorted and then exploit the investment with volume-market derivatives.

And of course unlike the Blade chipset, the Light2's dual core is already Adobe Flash capable.

The Skate (or Flounder) may be as far upmarket as they can push the old chipset.

Guest Sebastian404

The interesting question is when you look at the 2.2 kernel source...

# CONFIG_MACH_BLADE is not set
# CONFIG_MACH_BLADE_CAMERA5MP is not set
# CONFIG_MACH_MOONCAKE is not set
# CONFIG_MACH_V9 is not set
# CONFIG_MACH_RAISE is not set
# CONFIG_MACH_JOE is not set
# CONFIG_MACH_R750 is not set
# CONFIG_MACH_IBOX is not set
# CONFIG_MACH_AMIGO is not set
# CONFIG_MACH_SMOOTH is not set[/code]

so we know about the Blade, V9, Smooth, Joe, Mooncake is the Racer/Link, and we found out about the Amigo at MWC...

ZTE Raise has been announced as a Windows Mobile phone (!)

ZTE R750 is around, but I cant find any mention of any rebranding that has gone on..

So that leaves us with the IBOX.... or iBox...

Anyone want to make any (educated) guesses?

Guest Azurren

ZTE light 2 tablet has some hands on action:

It looks slightly smaller than the galaxy tab (Which can be jammed into your jeans pocket) meaning if the price is right this is my next "Phone" :D

Lets hope it still can be used as a phone (Like the light 1)

Awesome screen too.. Pixel Qi so great in sunlight and for battery saving

Edited by Azurren

Guest Rotmann
800x480 @ 4.3 in. is a bit....grainy. But! If they manage to offer this thing in the UK at under 150 quid, I could probably live with grainy for a year.

HTC Desire HD has the same resolution, no android phone has a better resolution (excepting the Atrix, but still not launched)

Meanwhile at HTC...

Wildfire S

600 MHz, 3.2-inch touch screen with 320 x 480 resolution, how do they think they can still get away with this?!

It's HTC, from a brilliant little company they became premium now, they have shameless prices. They tripled the profit in one year but brought no real innovations since 2009 (HD2), look at the MWC releases, it's a joke.

The ZTE Skate really looks great.

I was eying the Orange San Francisco for possible purchase, but to be frank, with a lot of people complaining of the touch-screen failures, not to mention some phones stopping to work outright, I was opting between Xperia X8 and Europa I5500.

One has to make a compromise.

I'd prefer to take the SF for example, and I can probably deal with the touch-screen issues by re-soldering the connections as recommended in another thread, but ... the Skate seems like a new generation that will replace the Blade.

If ZTE managed to keep an eye on the touch-screen issue and solve it with the Skate (not to mention the overall reliability), then I think I will opt to wait for it because it has much better specs on top of everything else (but May is still 3 months away).

After I have owned a lot of HTC, one SE, one palm pre and one samsung smartphone, I can assure you the blade is not worse at reliability. On every topic corresponding to a smartphone model you will see lots of problems. Sure there are some little problems, but every product has them, even the mighty god iPhone 4 :D Buy it and see, you can sell it in ebay than for the same price if you don't like it.